Put Diesel in the petrol tank Help needed :0

The missus accidently put a few quids worth of diesel into the tank and drove it home spluttering and backfiring....[About 12miles].

I suspect it was the new eco diesel as the pump was green in color she swears...

Tried bleeding out fuel from the mainb feed in the engine bay...took out the plugs and dried them. Also
topped up the tank with to half full with clean petrol. Poured a little into the TB and it almost kicks in at first when trying to start.

We also turned the engine over with plugs taken out to blow out the cylinders....and tried towing it..

Has anyone experienced this before and if so any more ideas?

I'm thinking the fuel filter is most likely saturated in diesel perhaps? Would it be best to replace this?

rgds

HI drain the fuel tank if u can . then change the fuel filter if k11 two screws top and bottom pipe then change plugs . refill with shell petrol nt asda or tesco or morrisons supermarket #### petrol . try start engine it will smoke it burning the diesel what left . watch for police the car will smoke till all diesel burn up then clear . OH CHARGE THE MISSUS THE PARTS . YES THE AA CHARGE £120 TO £220 FOR FUEL REDRAIN. am a motor mechanic and my bother is AA. u got a job and half on.

If it's only bit (5% or so) it shouldn't do much damage, might smoke a bit. A bit more and it may clog the cat, the 0xygen sensor etc.

As said, drain it and replace the filter, should be fine.

Back