Pulsar brakes - How hard is it to fit these?

Hi all,

The brakes on my Micra are pretty terrible, been offered a Pulsar set up for £30 (calipers, pads, discs) I'm running 15inch wheels so they should fit.

Are these a bolt on jobbie or is there much fiddling about involved?

Thanks!

I don't think it's that difficult? Just remember you need to to bleed your brakes again once you take off the old calipers and discs. :)

please please please, do a search. this has been spoken about almost a million times.!!!!!!!!!!!

the answer is yes, get some 1mm washers and they will fit!

Do the Pulsar brakes improve the braking anyways?

It brings the car easily to modern braking standards, brakes are more responsive and bite harder. It is something i need to do to mine, well at least GA16 brakes

Really..? I've been practicing on the limit incase i ever need to make an emergency stop, and i find it quite easy to brake to the point just before the wheels lock up with the standard brakes, as i practiced this quite a few times in a row and i still didn't get any brake fade...

try it on a race track.... at well over 80-100mph maybe 4 times or more a lap.

the pulsar brakes are a MUST for any track use. and the last thing you need to have is brake fade... after all...... whats worse than coming to a corner flat out and having no brakes?

i put vented sunny brakes on my supers and tbh i prefered the originals, if you live in the welsh mountains or do track days then fair play, but i would,nt bother again !

what problems were you having with them? i have nothing but praise for mine. i couldnt ever ever ever drive a micra with standard brakes again...ever ever.....
they are poorly badly rubish!!!!!

antony

i found they needed a harder push, i assumed the caliper pistons were missmatched to the master cylinder piston, i dont doubt they would fade less, but i,ve not had brake fade since about 1970 something ( suffer brainfade daily tho :glance: )

Well i don't take my car on a track, so i would only upgrade the brakes if i was planning that, even if i did mod my cars engine, i wouldn't drive much faster than i already do, i'd just get up to that speed faster!
I thought that upgrading the brakes would mean they needed less of a push to brake hard... thats the only reason i would consider upgrading for a the moment!

I can say for certain that they are a definate improvement over my original March brakes, I would say that they have saved my car and myself from certain doom at least 3 times after people have pulled out on me, the standard brakes would most have definately not stopped me in time on any of those occasions, I find that the brakes are more efficient for the same pedal pressure now, if I really brake hard now it feels like the car is going to stand on its nose.

ceirwan

i might have had some hard pads or something ? but when ever i jumped in the misses k11 i was nearly locking the front wheels up !

the normal k11 brakes are fine for taking a standard k11 to sainsburys and back, ga14/16 are the best all round for increased performance. but flat out stopping power pulsar brakes all the way.

in my opinion i think the pulsar set up is to heavy for a standard micra or even a janspeed micra unless your going on the track.

if your getting them cheap or are planning some big power i would get them.

as said search for a guide, you'll need 1mm washers to space the caliper from the mount or the disc will rub.

Cheers for the replys, I did try searching but found nothing :(

Yes i'll be getting them cheap, £30 for the set up seems cheap enough to me anyway.

For anyone that says its not worth upgrading the brakes unless for track then what are you sniffing!? brakes are one of the most important aspects of the car. If a car pulled out infront of you, or a kid walked out infront of you then which brakes would you prefer, standard, or uprated?

I have no intentions of modifying the engine to make it faster, out of all the car's i've driven the Micra's brakes are easily the worst. So fitting the Pulsar brakes will make me feel a hell of a lot safer when out on the road :)

I'll get searching for the post in a bit

as said search for a guide, you'll need 1mm washers to space the caliper from the mount or the disc will rub.

Is that all? Is it really as easy as just needing 1mm spacers and everything just bolts on?

the 1mm spacer washer goes in like this...
1827471bf34ab23a9.bmp

Cheers for that sonic, is it seriously that easy?

Everything else direct swap?

If thats the case then i'll get it done at the weekend when I change the gearbox :)

heres mine fitted, it really is that easy,
182747415dce8b2b7.jpg

all you need is the calipers, pads, discs and four 1mm washers, two for each side, make sure to clean the hub face off completely so that the new disc sits on it flat or you'll get a really annoying squeak.

This shows the difference in caliper size from my original March caliper to a Pulsar caliper, you can clearly see why the braking would be much improved.
182747415f18e4660.jpg

Thats a hell of a difference :)

I thought that the pulsar discs were bigger in diameter and would need some kind of spacing out that way. So basically the improvement comes from larger pad surface area, more powerful calipers, and vented discs?

The Pulsar discs are 257mm so are bigger in diameter by 22mm over standard Micra discs they are also vented, the caliper mount itself allows for the bigger discs, you couldn't use standard discs with Pulsar calipers.

For anyone that says its not worth upgrading the brakes unless for track then what are you sniffing!? brakes are one of the most important aspects of the car. If a car pulled out infront of you, or a kid walked out infront of you then which brakes would you prefer, standard, or uprated?

no what i ment is they are fine for tootling about, don't get me wrong they are incredably pants for constant hard braking. if they were that unsafe they wouldn't have them fitted and they would have changed at one of the major face-lifts.

the ga14/16 brakes are the best for the k11 and the pulsar ones are just overkill unless on a track. for £30 you can't go wrong better stopping but with more weight to move, big wheels and heavy brakes...

anyway your thread is about fitting them, not which is better, so back on topic: yes they are that easy to fit, opens up the extra mods like grooved/drilled discs :D

Well i would certainly like to be able to brake harder with a lighter touch of my foot, but the current brakes as i said will brake me from high speeds without fade at the point just before the wheels lock up.
Since i don't go on a track its no issue...
Frank i reckon you just have a lead right foot! :)

Yeah Nissan may have been cost saving but they couldn't have sold dangerous brakes. A standard Micra is fine with standard brakes. And if it doesn't stop you could handbrake it or jump out.

well I would like to someone with this bone because i can’t see how the brakes master cylinder can cope with such a big jump in calliper size. if you want to stop better get a set that is vented and upgrade the master cylinder.

greig

greig

spot on !
manufacturers have to get type approval/public liability thingy on their designs, and any missmatch with master cylinder/slave cylinders could be a bit risky ?
i could put a super duper brake caliper on our karts but if anyone got killed on it we would be sued for modifying the brakes !

You can upgrade to a P10 master cylinder which will fit the K11. Matt sais it gives improved bite and pedal feel but I haven't yet needed to go for one. As long as the brakes are bled and the self adjustment is working there is enough piston area to operate the Pulsar calipers despite the increase in volume. You need more pedal travel but the effort required is very low and I have not encountered any problems on the circuit.

after i fitted my new master cylinder, (another k11 one allbeit from an auto) and my pulsar calipers i almost bit the steering wheel the first time i used the brakes. and whilst i was at donnington park (donny 07) i managed to pass a pulsar GTIR up the inside at the old hairpin.
i sware to you all now that my back wheels have been off the floor a few times.

as for extra weight, my very very very very lightweight wheels more than make up for the added caliper weight.

and i use black diomond predator pads (sworn by in the skyline camps) and drilled, vented and slotted disks.

i havent ever been in a car with brakes like my car has......ever.
and i havent locked them up before. possible cos im on 15" toyo's...lol

so you recomend black dimond pads. do you have a pic of the wheels on. i would like to see how much it fills the wheels.

anyone now the price for them. new/old

because of the extra bhp from my micra i was going to go for primera brakes as seemed an all round better choice, for cost, availability (pulsar brakes being rare etc), and what i wanted the brakes for etc!!!

but i got, "Black Diamond Predator Brake Pads with Brembo MAX Brake Discs"!!
and they are awesome!!! great setup for me! bite very easily and can stop very quickly if i want to.

Attachments

• DSC00670.JPG
    DSC00670.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC00680.JPG
    DSC00680.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC00707(2).jpg
    DSC00707(2).jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC00706.JPG
    DSC00706.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 251
My Pulsar brakes got delivered last night and they dont look like the other ones in this thread.

They're 5 stud discs for a start!

25112007062.jpg

25112007061.jpg

Im really confused o_O

Pulsar brakes don't have the nissan printed on the calipers, along with the 5 stud holes in the brakes make me believe they are early skyline brakes or something.

i highly recomend GTIR calipers....even with stnadard GTIR discs and standard pads there good! mine stop awsome (3G 257mm vented and grovved discs and stainless lines) when raceworx had them he had the back end up off the floor! awsome for track useage and are the ultimate road useage brakes for the micra.... id reccomend ebc red stuff pads..are crap when there cold, but when warmmed up they bite hard! ive heard green stuff are rubbish.

although if you want ultimate track go for some wilwoods :p but the micra is THAT light there not needed unless you have an sr20 in.

they look like 200sx brakes to me. though i could be wrong.since you've got them, try and see if they'll fit on the micra hub, then measure what size discs you need if they fit. and try and get some to match, like the mitsi fto caliper/clio 172 disc combo someone mentioned off the almera oc.

Ok confusion sorted! My mate gave me R33 rear brakes by accident, I didn't bother checking them when i got them because I didn't think he'd be daft enough to give me the wrong ones lol

Got the brakes done in about 45 mins before, didn't manage to get them bleed up either as I didn't think I had any brake fluid, then found some as I was packing everything away, sods law!! It had gone dark too so will leave it till next time I'm working on it to do that :)

Before

25112007063.jpg

Little during shot

25112007064.jpg

After

25112007065.jpg

Will give them a lick of paint too while I've got the wheels off to bleed them.

Cheers to everyone in this thread who's posted up too your help has been much appriciated :)

Your car's damn clean. Love it. Black car's all the way..

And well done with the brake conversion.. :)
That's just the camera, it had a wash yesterday but wasn't dried. I still need to wash it, dry it, clay it, clean it, polish it, then wax it :D

Its got a couple scuffs and scratches but I can't really complain for the age of it :)

Will get some more pictures up next weekend when I hopefully get the gearbox done (was meant to do it this weekend but was let down by a mate) and I'll try and give it a good scrub too and some better pics :)

Back