pub took £40 off me, anyidea on getting it back?

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
heres the story......

friday night, im out in town, ive reached my £250 limit on withdrawls so my mam suggested cashback, i thought "fine illl try it" went to bar and since you have to spend £5, i got 4 bottles @ £7.20. i asked for £40 cashback so £7.20 + £40= £47.20. anyways it declined and it said this on the bottom of the recipt i thought "crap im skint now" so he said "ill tray it again with £20, so he did and it went thru at £27.20. spotty dogs!

got to boozer next day (sat afternoon) to watch safc play chelsea and bang £50 short i was like "eh!!!!!!!" rang bank and sure enuf at 21:14 on 7/12/07, £47.20 was took and then at 21:17 7/12/07 £27.20 left the account, suspitius? i think not! i been fleeced! thing is i thru away the recipt but they will have a copy as they do ya know, im going down at 7 ask to see manager but all i have is a statementwith amount and date on.

i know its only £40 but think of how many others this may have happened too, ive already been coned with "i payed with a £20, no you didnt it was £10er mate" in a bar once and im not getting £40 fleeced again, any ideas, if going in fails, bank it is!!!

any ideas guys, cheers?

tell them if you cant get it back, your going to seek legal action against them AND goto the press and make sure its branded all over.
the last thing businesses want is a bad reputation, and if they get a reputation for theft their business will decline by a fair bit.
they normally get scared and give you the money by then :p

When the £47.50 was declined did you get a transaction void reciept? So you should have been given 2 reciepts. One is the normal reciept you get and the other a transaction void. If you didnt get that then they have conned you.

If going to the shop with bank statement fails then speak to the bank and see if they can help you as they might be able to say where the money was taken from. Then go back with new evidence.

If that fails go to your local Citezen Advice Bureau. They can then tell you how to go about getting your money back.

Can i just point out that its not the pubs fought, its does happen and as Pete said above if you kept the void receipt then you wont have a problem getting it back. They may have kept the receipts from that night even if you havn't but i really wouldn't go in accusing them of stealing either way it won't help.

it happnes from time to time./

the PDQ (card) machines sometimes do a ghost transaction where it says void on the machine, but actualy takes the money from the account.

its not possible to know this is happening however unless the customer comes back in and states there has been "X amount taken from wherever"

this is not the fault of the opperator rather an inherent problem with software and can cause major headaches for both customers and consumers.
halfords has issued every store with a customer concern leaflet that highlights this.

it is being weeded out with our new "fully integrated" STORE 6 SAP 2 based computer system commenly known as "evolve"

you should be able to go back to the site of transaction and reclaim the money. and as now adays most pubs have cctv, they will even be able to see what happened and who served you.

dont panic.

It may well be one indiviual that has done this, was they wearing a name badge? Make sure you check with your bank that there wasnt a mistake first before you go down there.

well i went down but all i had was a ATM recipt but he checked back and oddly "there is no recipt there".... hummmm o_O

the guy did say, go to the bank and get a print out statement which you go in and ask for, pop it down, ill ave a look and give you a refund. so its all good so far, bit luck ill get it tommorow so see how it goes if not, i will say ill chat to bank and the papers lol ta guys.....

These things all the time (from point of view of having worked in a bank) if you have the void receipt it's easily sorted, if not, start by talking to your bank, the pub do hundreds of transactions and don't have time to deal with 1 mistake but your bank will

You usually have to initial cashback too, and if there's no proof of this, you'l probably get your money back. Banks can probably reverse the transaction (chargeback?)

If you were given the decline slip on the first attempt of £47.20 and then the £27.20 went through then it's not the fault of the employee in the pub.

even if you have no print outs your bank will be able to trace the transactions and see the error.

As Anthony mentioned it's about the issues with the software, don't worry your bank will sort it out, might take a few weeks, but they will I'm sure.

Kev

few years for my mum so far. Ok, so her money was stolen by someone, but they've said fill in some forms and we'll get your £200 back to you. 4 of the same forms filled in later, still no £200!

I hope you have more luck mate!

ahhh tis fine, went to bank got a big statement and it wasnt on, turns out it was took to be rejected if you get me? i dunno but anywas, i got it back lol, cheers guys!

The money was 'ear marked' to come out then. Basicly I was told by my bank that when you make a card transaction they 'ear mark' the amount and the next working day it will come out of the account. That way you cannot draw more money than what is alowed.

Its a pain as it happened to me when trying to get £400 worth of euros for holiday only for the chip and pin machine to crash half way through. So tried again but because the £400 was 'ear marked' it would not alow it to go through again.

It is a pain but at least you have your money back now. :D

Back