PS Light on Nissan Micra Initia

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with my Nissan Micra or provide some advise. I've only had the car for the last year and a half, it's a 57 plate and passed through the Last MOT with near to no faults. On Thursday evening, after previously driving the car earlier in the day with no faults, when I turned the engine on I had the red PS Light come up on the dashboard. The steering is currently really stiffy and pretty undrivable, I don't want to cause any more damage. I've read pretty mixed things on the internet, I've had a mechanic look at the car and looking at a pretty expensive fix including a new Power Steering pump. I don't believe any electrical fault has been looked into, I've previously had issues with the boot locking and unlocking when driving (I'm unsure if these are connected). Any help would be highly appreciated!! Thank you! :)

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Makes it difficult for me to look at it. Usually if your getting a PS fault then the fault is usually within the eps. Intermittent faults usually increase to hard failures. How intermittent is it?

So it's happened three times so far within the last two weeks. I had a quick look under the bonnet, (I'm no mechanic by any means) and couldn't see a reservoir incase the fluid had dropped. But then I'm reading its an electric system and can't find any information on whether they would be a fluid tank.

The car isn't worth much and if we're going to be quoted £700 to fix then the car simply isn't worth it. So any cheaper fixes would be a life saver.

Hi. I wonder if you can help me. I live in Birmingham.
I have a Nissan Micra which suddenly developed a fault: no power steering at all with the red warning light come on.
Have been told the P.S pump has gone faulty
I'm not sure of your year of car but. The power steering in micras is an electric motor on the steering column , and iv heard lots about fuses going. And people being told the mother has failed !!!! Or had it canceled on the computer. Check with guys who have your year and had this problem. Don't think any of them had a pump as far as I know. But check

I'm not sure of your year of car but. The power steering in micras is an electric motor on the steering column , and iv heard lots about fuses going. And people being told the mother has failed !!!! Or had it canceled on the computer. Check with guys who have your year and had this problem. Don't think any of them had a pump as far as I know. But check
Mine is 2005, 1.4 SVE model

I
Mine is 2005, 1.4 SVE model
V just done some checking and it would appear that yours is fluid hydraulic as most cars are , so yes your pump may be up the wall. Unusual I admit. They usually leak. Scream , seiz , or otherwise shout at you they are poorly , to just Not pump is odd. Check with a friendly mechanic. Who can confirm it.

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Hi I wonder you you be prepared to come out to Northampton regarding Ps on a 54 plate mirca
Not too prepared…. I’m not a mechanic, I have a demanding job and a more demanding wife. I do this to help people, if I was passing on other business I would pop in but I have nothing planned this side of Christmas to travel down there. What’s up with it, but I have also just replied to your pm.

Thanks for reply please bear with me as I am not very good at this sort of thing basically just after someone who can sort out the power steering on a nissan micra that reads no faults on the ecu meter.

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
If it’s reading no DTC that’s unusual? As pm’ed to you;

Usually the unit is very self contained and usually when the ps light is on, it's a failure with the unit. Little fiddly to replace but not hard. Depends how attached you are with the car, as the units are getting more difficult to find and price is going up. Is the car worth that much!!

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
What type of person do I need to look at my nissans Ps problem mechanic or auto electrician
Mechanic to remove and replace as a auto-electrician won’t be able to do anything apart from clear DTCs. They might tell you they can…. But they won’t be able to as the units are very self contained.

Thank you very much for taking time to explain. I now know what I am dealing with no magic fixes, Just mechanical minded person need and a bank loan ha ha. Thanks again better than being in limbo best regards Craig

good morning micra world
first time posting here
i have replaced the eps motor and column due to the dreaded ps light the unit was a virginized refurb unit which after fitment and code erase worked well until after about 5 mins when the immo light comes on but engine still runs

any advise on fixing would be greatly welcome

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
sounds like the refurb company has ripped you off! They do not have the technology to re-virgin a unit! It was never released to the public. All they done is possible changed the nvm and made it possible dangerous

Hello Everyone,
My Nissan Micra is showing a PS warning light . It is 2005 model petrol car and this issue came up suddenly while I was driving. What could be the reason?

Hello Everyone,
My Nissan Micra is showing a PS warning light . It is 2005 model petrol car and this issue came up suddenly while I was driving. What could be the reason?

Hello Everyone,
Mine first showed the fault at ignition on, not when I was driving. It is a 2005 model and I think this is the first model year to have the EPS as opposed to the hydraulic system. The power steering was not functioning and the car was difficult to drive. I installed the Carista app onto my phone and used this and my OBDLink bluetooth device to delete the fault code. The Carista app is free for 30 days so I cancelled my subscription when they sent me a reminder email a few days before they were about to charge my paypal account. It has been working for a few months now. If you have EPS, I would be really interested to know whether your EPS actually failed (ie steering became stiff) while you were driving. Or did the light just come on while driving but the system remained working? Or has anyone else reading this had their EPS fail while they were driving? It is obviously a highly dangerous situation if these systems are regularly failing while driving (as opposed to ignition on, like mine). The loss of power will unexpectedly snatch the steering wheel back if you happen to be negotiating a bend at the time. I have heard of a fatal accident where this happened (on a different vehicle).