Pros and Cons

i'm looking into the pros and cons of inlets and would like everyones thoughts on which they think is better and why

Turbo
Twin throttle bodies
Plenum chamber
or a mixture of them

so whats the easiest setup/ application, which gives the best gains throughout the engine ranges.... like i said what are the pros and cons

B

blobbletec

personally i would go turbo, a low blow set up on the standard engine will see you decent power gains for relatively small outlay..

Throttle bodies like jenvy or similar look great in the engine bay but unless you are running a super duper race engine the power gains are small and the cost is very high

plenum chamber..?

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
personally i would go turbo, a low blow set up on the standard engine will see you decent power gains for relatively small outlay..

Throttle bodies like jenvy or similar look great in the engine bay but unless you are running a super duper race engine the power gains are small and the cost is very high

plenum chamber..?

Like what superls is currently fabricating,

superls

K10 Tuner
i think you would have trouble setting up twin ga15 bodies, i think you would run into trouble with the stock ecu as you would have 2 tps and 2 maf's to deal with, plenum chamber ive read it a good mod to any engine, both NA and charged, im going to run mine NA for a while with my reground cams and 'ebb style' weld filled head, then save the money and boost it, not sure it turbo or supercharger yet, but that wont be for at least a year probably.

there are pros and cons to all of them but turbo and twin bodies will need some alteration to the engine management, whereas say a plenum wont, but then it wont make anywhere near the power of a turbo etc.

i think you would have trouble setting up twin ga15 bodies, i think you would run into trouble with the stock ecu as you would have 2 tps and 2 maf's to deal with, plenum chamber ive read it a good mod to any engine, both NA and charged, im going to run mine NA for a while with my reground cams and 'ebb style' weld filled head, then save the money and boost it, not sure it turbo or supercharger yet, but that wont be for at least a year probably.

there are pros and cons to all of them but turbo and twin bodies will need some alteration to the engine management, whereas say a plenum wont, but then it wont make anywhere near the power of a turbo etc.

I would say its probably best to still get a remap even with just a plenum chamber style inlet to be honest. They only 'performance mods' that dont need a remap to make the most of them are things that just make better use of the power you already have like a lightened flywheel

one thing i would say superls is that i woudlnt go for a weld filled head if you are going to go turbo, need to keep the C/R as low as possible eh:)

frank

Club Member
i cant see any advantage of plenum type mani,s personally fwn the airflow is still having to negotiate a 90deg bend (the same as a stock mani)
most manufacturers use a plenum design nowadays so that you have 4 equal length, very long, smallbore runners (for maximum lowdown grunt, to deter you from thrashing the car) and any factory performance model will have a quad setup

B

blobbletec

Oh right i see what you mean by plenum,, just a fancy name for a performance inlet manifold..i have been looking in to these for my opel..

lex3.jpg

B

blobbletec

Oh right i see what you mean by plenum,, fancy name for a performance inlet manifold..

lex3.jpg

The advantage I see of a new custom inlet is you can have less bendy wider runners and you can have a bigger plenum chamber, better for turbo. Plus you can fit which ever TB you like.