• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Project Turtle the Turquoise Miicra!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah go for it. But the sr20 will take the win...

i should be able to build something and attend the last crail session of the year, currently working in sydney at the moment and dont get home until late june, work will commence as soon as humanly possible. how exciting.......:laugh:

Dave Bull

Ex. Club Member
personally i didnt find much of a difrence between the ga16 and sr20 in a k11, on paper the sr20 looks the stronger engine but like in the case with putting a c20xe into a corsa,often always more than not the 1.6 gsi will out gun it on a standing quarter, it all comes down to weight proportion and torque, the ga16de only produces a few nm's less torque than an sr20, coupled with the fact the sr20 is a heavier engine the power difrences almost equalise, but then theres alot of other factors to reconsider, sure its fun and i understand the circumstances of this build allow for the use of an sr20, but just dont be dissapointed when the lad with the ga16 takes the win:grinning:

Wait a minute, you are comparing a GA16DE to an SR20DE powered Micra and you recon the GA16DE powered Micra will be quicker.

Eh, good luck with that one!

Trust me, the SR20 will thrash the living poo out of the GA16 powered car and then when you start modifying the engine, forget about it!

The drivetrain weight's are very similar and mod for mod, the SR20 makes way more power / torque.

Better head flow, better rod / stroke ratio, way more tuning potential... SR20 wins hand down!

Wait a minute, you are comparing a GA16DE to an SR20DE powered Micra and you recon the GA16DE powered Micra will be quicker.

Eh, good luck with that one!

Trust me, the SR20 will thrash the living poo out of the GA16 powered car and then when you start modifying the engine, forget about it!

The drivetrain weight's are very similar and mod for mod, the SR20 makes way more power / torque.

Better head flow, better rod / stroke ratio, way more tuning potential... SR20 wins hand down!

prove it!

All im saying is....in true mythbuster styleee, have you or anybody else (without bullsh!Ttin,excuse the pun!) ACTUALLY taken one GA16DE of standard origin and one SR20DE of standard origin also and ACTUALLY fitted them to a micra k11 then ACTUALLY raced them down a quarter mile, without saying what you "may" think "may" happen, have you seen it?fwn

OP
OP
S

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
Can we stop spamming now please? Unless you have something decent to add them please stop filling this blog with sh*te

SR20 is better... FACT.

Micramike : you will get your race one day.

RR_dev

Site Supporter
sr20 is better? thats quite a statement, and to say thats FACT, well, thats just immature!

spamming stopped, end of. FULL STOP!

Alright then. Hows this.

I bet my n15 can take a win down the quarter against your ga16 micra. Thats how confident i am that a ga16 isnt all its cracked up to be.

You are also being quite ridiculous saying a ga16 and sr20 in a micra are different to a 16 and a 20 in an almera. And given that i am on of the few people in this country to use both engines in the same n15 shell, its fair to say im well educated in the performance difference between a ga and an sr.

You are gonna have to remove an obscene amount of weight from your micra to even come within a second of our ET.

See you on the strip (in my wing mirror)

davey1991

If its not scrubbing, its not low enough.
Wow aggression for no reason is quite pathetic, who cares who wins... Enjoy your car, enjoy the company or GTFO!

OP
OP
S

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
Its not "my" car. Thats my brother in case you never realised. This project is a joint effort between three of us.

frank

Club Member
Oh and micramike, an SR20 is actually lighter than a GA16.

the SR with an alloy block is sure to be lighter than the cast iron GA eh, i bet the SR g/box weighs a bit eh scott :)
and you guys should know what micramike is like by now lol :p

OP
OP
S

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
SR gearbox weighs 3kg more than a GA box

More info :

SR = 38kg
GA = 35kg

Engine weights :

SR = 47kg
GA = 55 kg

SR total = 85kg
GA total = 90kg

Theres not much in it, but still with a higher displacement, better torque, headlfow etc etc as outlined by Dave ^^ The SR20 is a much better engine.

All info taken from Nissan4u

Dave Bull

Ex. Club Member
prove it!

All im saying is....in true mythbuster styleee, have you or anybody else (without bullsh!Ttin,excuse the pun!) ACTUALLY taken one GA16DE of standard origin and one SR20DE of standard origin also and ACTUALLY fitted them to a micra k11 then ACTUALLY raced them down a quarter mile, without saying what you "may" think "may" happen, have you seen it?fwn

Well no, I haven't done it personally and I doubt anyone else has.

But facts are facts, the SR20 drivetrain is roughly the same as the GA16, if not lighter and makes way more power and torque from stock.

There will only be one outcome on the 1/4 mile and the winner is...

SR20 all the freckin way!!!

you guys should know what micramike is like by now lol :p

hehe, love a good debate, even if i am wrong, i just cant help myself

but look at all the information that has been divulged in the process, and ive managed to hold onto my title as a complete ars3hol3, its win win!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

i would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to any micra "fanatics" that were harmed in the making of this debate, my deepest apologies are flying through cyberspace right now in the form of a big smooch, keep up the good work lads, and Mr Bull your a legend in micra geeks eyes of past present and future, extra big kiss for you :)

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
awesome thread awesome build just can't stop thinking i would have used a cleaner shell. Either way the car looks like its coming along well and i'm really impressed it started first key turn.

Keep up the good work :blues:

OP
OP
S

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
No big update really.

Just been fillering and sanding....

But farting around last night

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

Free intercooler FTW!

OP
OP
S

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
So today we played about with the Corsa coilovers.

After initial fitting, we realised that the actual coilover was knocking. when under load.

So out it came to be stripped down. Once stripped down, the helper spring on the bottom was removed, and the coilover wound up as high as it would go... which is still pretty low...

In order to space out the top mount, washers are required. But since we didnt have any...

IMG_0729.jpg

A quick ghetto fix until we can get some washers.

All put back together and fitted onto the car. O.M.G it is so stiff. Standing on top of the chassis rail and jumping up and down, the car just wont move. And after some calculations working out at 18kg springs, I now see why.

So coilover put on and wheel tightened, car lowered means ;

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

As you can see there is very little clearence between the top of the wheel and the bottom of the chassis rail. May need arches rolled once the wings are on.

Also with the 15 inch wheels and fat tyres, the wheels are colliding with the inner arch. So hopefully when our current plans of modifying N15 and K11 hubs it will sit further out and clearance shouldnt be an issue anymore. Possibly some 20 or 25mm spacers aswell.

So thats one side done, will finish the other side tomorrow.

OP
OP
S

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
Bodywork needs alot more work yet.

The rear arch still needs welding. Some welding in the floorpan. and ive started sanding down all the filler on the other rear arch. Aswell as starting to sand down the whole car for its respray.

baguete

Site Supporter
Are you just cutting the rusted metal and replacing with new sheets? Or removing the rust and patching the holes?

I need to replace the sunroof on a Micra, but the surrounding metal is rusty too, do you have any technique to do such job?

OP
OP
S

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
In some areas the rust is being cut out and new metal welded in place. But thats only if its a strucutral damaged part of the chassis. Such as the floorpan, arches, chassis rails. Mainly the stuff that it could fail its MOT on.

But in some areas it is just surface rust, so that is just ground back and filled and painted.

For your sunroof, it all depends on how bad the rust is as to how much work is needed to rectify it. Best thing to do is grind it back and assess if the metal is still strong or grown weak. If its weak/has holes in it then it would be best to have some new metal welded in.

If its just surface rust then, grind back with a flapwheel disk on a grinder, and treat it with some kurust gel thative used on our rust further back in the blog. Let that work its stuff for an hour or 2, wipe off then apply some filler to the area, sand it back, primer and paint.

baguete

Site Supporter
Bloody hell, thats bad...

Im not sure what to suggest mate.

Maybe doing a cabriolet?? :p :p

I will get some plastic stuff to cover the car (its still raining here), remove the spot welds and roof, remove all the rust and applying some rust converter. Then i will try to figure it out...

Sorry for the off-topic mate. :wasntme:

OP
OP
S

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
Good luck killing that rust!

If your gonna cut the roof off that and weld a new one then make sure you brace the chassis before cutting (Y)

And when finished, go crazy with the waxoyl :p

baguete

Site Supporter
Thanks for the tips mate. (Y)

Seems that now i know what to do:

- Take all the damaged metal panels
- Remove all the rust with a drill, wheel disc, sanding paper, etc...
- Use some phosphoric acid to clean the surface rust
- Install new metal panels
- Apply some self etching primer filler and leave it to dry for 24h
- Sand the entire car
- Apply normal primer to entire car
- Apply paint (epoxi base, for extra strength and there is no need for using lacquer)
- Apply Waxoyl on all cavities of the car
- Done (and enjoy the car :p)

What to you think about it?

Antony

Ex. Club Member
with the roof being of a structural nauture...... i would unfortunately say that, that micra has got terminal cancer and you cannot opperate. i would just not risk it...

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Cant believe Ive not followed this thread more. Loads of info and loads of debate = good reading!

Keep up the good work Scott builds coming along nicely. (Y)

OP
OP
S

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
Thanks for the tips mate. (Y)

Seems that now i know what to do:

- Take all the damaged metal panels
- Remove all the rust with a drill, wheel disc, sanding paper, etc...
- Use some phosphoric acid to clean the surface rust
- Install new metal panels
- Apply some self etching primer filler and leave it to dry for 24h
- Sand the entire car
- Apply normal primer to entire car
- Apply paint (epoxi base, for extra strength and there is no need for using lacquer)
- Apply Waxoyl on all cavities of the car
- Done (and enjoy the car :p)

What to you think about it?

Sounds good Baguete.

How did it get so bad though?!? I didnt think it rained in Portugal :eek:

OP
OP
S

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
So todays first task of many was to remove the hubs so they can be sent off for machining, making a hybrid hub from N15 and K11 hubs.

Hubs unbolted from strut, Brake lines removed, Track rod cut out ( it was nackered anyway), hub unbolted from the wishbone and hub removed.

Although because of the thread on the ball joint wrecking itself, we are now in need of a new wishbone aswell as a new track rod end. Not that expensive, but cash is tight.

Close up of the removed hub ;

IMG_0734.jpg

Close up of coilover ;

IMG_0738.jpg

We are probably going to re introduce the helper spring as its just way too stiff.

Anyway with regards to the hubs, what we plan to do is ;

Have the N15 inner bearing with driveshaft splines machined and pressed in place of the current K11 one.

And also the SR20 driveshafts being shaved down a bit on the diameter to fit into the space in the K11 hub. No pics but a special thanks to Cov for helping with this.

So with that done, moving onto the next task of bodywork. I continued sanding down the rear arch full of filler and ross continued sanding down the drivers door.

IMG_0739.jpg

And anti rust primer on the wing mirror area ;

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

Bumpstrip removed ;

IMG_0735.jpg

Then out came the compressor and paint,

IMG_0742.jpg

Yes its only the door been painted for now but the car will eventually all be in this colour. Nissan BS7 Blue. We had a lot of paint left over from previous work.

With that done, time to drop the engine again. Fuel lines disconnected, wiring pushed through the bulkhead. Engine loom disconnected from interior loom. And Engine hoisted out.

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

So with that done we now need to purchase a driver side wishbone and track rod end. Anyone got one spare? Lol

And incase any of you wanted to know what we use an engine hoist ;

Structural beam of the building ;

IMG_0745.jpg

And a lifting chain connecting to this steel beam via a heavy duty lifting strap and another connected to the engine,

IMG_0744.jpg

That’s all for now.

baguete

Site Supporter
Sounds good Baguete.

How did it get so bad though?!? I didnt think it rained in Portugal :eek:

Yes, it rains in Portugal, but no snow here (only on Serra da Estrela, the highest point), but i think the car was near a beach with the left side always pointing to the sea, its all corroded on that side, right side is fine.

Today i stripped the whole car and it seems even worse on the floor, i must think if it worths to repair it or just use all the parts on another car that has no options (this one has A/C, PAS, Central Locking, Electric Windows, etc...).

Back on topic, nice progress over there, really want to see how it will be in some months. (Y)

OP
OP
S

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
Stupid rust :(

Also we werent the only people to be having trouble with track rods today :p

volvo.jpg

Also the donor car for this project was scrapped last week ;

IMG_0785.jpg

R.I.P GX

OP
OP
S

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
I have now been informed that the unit we are using is to be undergoing renovation.

So we now have 6 weeks to have this finished and driveable otherwise to ze scrapyard she goes.

If anyone happens to have a spare brand new front panel and a brand new track rod end then PLEASE drop me or RR_dev a PM.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.