• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Project March ANK11 4x4 GTiR

NikOlai Did you buy a new thothed bar? or your´s have the possibilities of change the position of steering in the same thothed bar? here in my city there are many garages that do the work in 20 days, in the begining of the business they cuted the thothed bar and then sold the piece, a dangerous work for the drivers many people die at this time.

You can see photos of my March in K12 Tuning Mechanical Servicing and Modifications.

My english isn't very good, atleast not when it comes to the technical car-parts words..
But if "thothed bar" means the midle part of the steeringrack, I used an lhd norwegian k11 part..

Not much.. I've started my vacation ... Had 2 weeks, 3 left.. I'm out on the ocean cruising in my boat mostly.
But hopefully I will get the SR20DET engine into the March soon.. Updates will come when something happens. ;)

Yeah, nothing happens here in Norway in July.......everyone gone! ;)
Damn right! 5 weeks.. Hopefully in my boat mostly, if the weather is good..

My boat:
elwaro30ft.jpg

Yeah.. It's a nice to have a place to get away from home, and all the stuff I "need" to do at home..
That's the only way I realy can relax, and just do nothing!

Well, then I've payed for a custom set of coilovers. I'm using March K11 fwd coilovers in the front,
and Pulsar GTiR coilovers in the rearend. With a custom spring rate, that I don't remember right now :p

So I hope that the coilovers are waiting for me when I'm coming back home 27th july ..

BTW: how can I get this bolt out?
2011.07.15_arm.jpg

Need to take it out from the arm on the pulsar, and get it on the March arm, to get the pulsar wheel-hubs to fit..

I'm pretty sure that ball joint is pressed into the arm as an interference fit.

Thanks. Can't wait to get them on the car.. ;)

Well, I didn't go al custom. I've ordered a set of coilovers with some parts from the March, and some from the pulsar gtir..
And no, I couldn't find a set made for March ANK11. =/

Does that mean Aspect in Japan, (the link I posted up), are no longer selling them?

Does that mean Aspect in Japan, (the link I posted up), are no longer selling them?
Well, I didn't try.. The Aspect coilovers, without shipping, was more then double of the price for a sett of gtir coilovers with the march parts needed, including shipping..
But that's the only place I've seen ank11 coilovers ..

I've mounted the coilovers on the car. During the coilovers work I realized that I've made a big mistake.
The whole rear suspension should be around 2cm more agains the front of the car! :( Because the wheel isn't in center AT ALL!

Can I make some eccentric bushes where there bushes holds the rear subframe to the car?
If not, do I have to make new bolts/mounts? Or do you guys have some good ideas on this?

I got a dealer I know to order them from the fabric that he sells coilovers from.
Theese don't have a name, but it's the same as D2, K-sport, XYZ, etc..

you have an epic boat, what do you do for a job? rob banks???

i think the ball joint on the wish bone is press fitted, i needed to replace mine and i had to replace the whole wish bone, but maybe you can have it pressed out? or weld up a new wish bone, its not too difficult.

not good news about the rear suspension being out, can you not cut out the mounts for the diff and move it forwards and then weld it up?

you have an epic boat, what do you do for a job? rob banks???
Thanks! I work as an electrician. ;)

i think the ball joint on the wish bone is press fitted, i needed to replace mine and i had to replace the whole wish bone, but maybe you can have it pressed out? or weld up a new wish bone, its not too difficult.[/qoute]
I'm going to buy 2 new ball joints, and hopefully get them pressed into the wishbone.

not good news about the rear suspension being out, can you not cut out the mounts for the diff and move it forwards and then weld it up?
It sucks !! =( But I've talked to a local "expert", that work at a company called "Custom Cars" .. He's going to look at it.

Thanks! I work as an electrician. ;)

i think the ball joint on the wish bone is press fitted, i needed to replace mine and i had to replace the whole wish bone, but maybe you can have it pressed out? or weld up a new wish bone, its not too difficult.[/qoute]
I'm going to buy 2 new ball joints, and hopefully get them pressed into the wishbone.

It sucks !! =( But I've talked to a local "expert", that work at a company called "Custom Cars" .. He's going to look at it.

interesting, what kind of electrician? installing building electrics, or circuit boards and microprocessors, things like that?

a garage should have the equipment to press fit them, but like i said, building a new wishbone would not be hard, just make a jig using the real one, and cut up the bits you want and weld them together.

i hope the suspension can be sorted, it was the whole point of getting the car!

interesting, what kind of electrician? installing building electrics, or circuit boards and microprocessors, things like that?
Building and house electrics.. But I have education for building/house and electric automation..

a garage should have the equipment to press fit them, but like i said, building a new wishbone would not be hard, just make a jig using the real one, and cut up the bits you want and weld them together.

i hope the suspension can be sorted, it was the whole point of getting the car!
I'll fix it someway. I just have to use some time to find good solutions..

I'm mostly house/building electrician. But I also have done some jobs on some oil platforms..

I don't think balljoints are going to be a problem. Have a friend that works on the Nissan dealer, where the Nissan Sporting Meet was,
that said he could help me with the balls joints..

I think some new eccentric alu bushings on the subframe will fix it.. But time will show.

I'm mostly house/building electrician. But I also have done some jobs on some oil platforms..

I don't think balljoints are going to be a problem. Have a friend that works on the Nissan dealer, where the Nissan Sporting Meet was,
that said he could help me with the balls joints..

I think some new eccentric alu bushings on the subframe will fix it.. But time will show.

that sounds awesome, so they pay is good in electrical work there? i am thinking of coming to norway to do some intensive work just to earn a bit more cash, maybe 3 months or something, i can do electrics but i don't have paperwork to prove it...

i would be interested in knowing how the ball joints go, i am thinking about going the same route keeping the GTiR hubs, i will send you some pics of some inspiring suspension mods.

good luck with the rear suspension i hope it works out

I guess don't need to say it but if you're making your own wishbones, use chromoly tubing, not mild steel. I know I'm probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs but you never know... :grinning:.

I don't got the skills for making arms myself. If I had, I would have done it a long time ago.. =/

What does people mostly do with the wiringsloom when they swap an SR20 into micra's?
I'm dreaming of making a "standalone" wiring with parts of the original loom, like this one made to Datsun 510 SR20DET:
completed_loom.jpg

i think there is little difference between the micra and the GTiR loom, you may have to extend some wires and add bits but it shouldn't be too hard.

though i think a lot of people run an Omex system,

either way i want the little blue micra key!!!!!!!!

I am not sure if the GTI-R follows the same system, but it's possible to remove the ECU sections of the loom from the K11 and leave everything else in place. The only thing thrown in with the main ECU loom that runs to the engine bay is the intermittent wipers, but this is quite visible and simple to separate.

This is what we did when we fitted an Omex. We removed the main ECU harness sections from the main K11 loom in it's entirety and replaced it with an Omex loom. A very neat job but then again we used a fully assembled Omex racing loom, as it was the neatest way and practically plug and play with the supplied sensors. All it needed was earth, power, ignition, fuel pump relay and tacho to be wired in.

Yesterday:
Removed engine mounts, to get in the two mounts from gtir:
2011.08.05_k11_motorrom.jpg

Gaugecluster sorroundings almost finished:
2011.08.05_k11_instrumentpanel.jpg

Engine is almost ready to leave the chassis:
2011.08.05_gtir1.jpg

Today;
SR20DET al by it self on the floor:
2011.08.06_sr20det1.jpg

Is there enough space here? :p
2011.08.06_sr20det2.jpg

The car should always stand like this when fixing it, much easyer access: :)
2011.08.06_sr20det3.jpg

Damnm this is going to be a tight fit, if it will fit at all..

I've removed AC compressor, and servo-pump. Not shure if I'm going for electric
pump, or if I'm going for an steeringrack without the servo..

2011.08.07_sr20_i_k11-1.jpg

2011.08.07_sr20_i_k11-2.jpg

regarding the wiring, doesnt ED at fusion use GTIR ecu's on micras? im sure i read that with a few mods he was doing, so surely it can be done fairly easily???

interesting, does the rear axle line up with the diff?

i used an electric power steering pump from a Peugeot its very compact and the existing micra system can be very easily modded to fit.

The wind deflectors came with the car, but it's original nissan parts. I've bought the same type to my Primera from Nissan last year.

Have a problem now. The SR20DET with the GTiR gearbox is to big!

2011.08.09_problem1.jpg

2011.08.09_problem2.jpg

2011.08.09_problem3.jpg

2011.08.09_problem4.jpg

The engine/gearbox should be the about 4-5cm higher up on the
driver side(UK passenger side) and rear end.. But there is'nt space for that.

is it the transmission tunnel in the last photo thats stopping it? you may have to do a custom tranny tunnel or reshape it with a round end of a hammer if it is. trouble is the sr20 is quite a tall lump aint it so i doubt you could lower the engine unless you raised the car.

I look forward to updates in this thread so much, best thing since EBBdude had a series of Micra tuning threads. Thanks Nik0lai :)

hang on, isn't the whole lot over to the left side of the car too much? if you moved the engine so that the power take off was in the centre of the exhaust tunnel, wouldn't it then line up?

this is a crazy idea, but could you take the front half of the GTiR that you have and weld that onto the front of the micra? then the only thing you would have to make fit would be the body panels

Back