• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Project March ANK11 4x4 GTiR

nik0lai

Club Member
I bought this car my self from Japan, and picked it up on the dock in Drammen, Norway. I live nearby Kristiansand, in Norway.

Here is some technical specs on the car:

Body type: Hatchback
Drive: FULL 4WD
Transmission: Hyper CVT (non-stage transmission)
Displacement: 1348ccm
Frame: GH-ANK11
Price of new car, thousands yen (Tokyo area): 1297 (~$10800)

Exterior dimensions (LxWxH), mm: 3720 x 1585 x 1430
Interior dimensions (LxWxH), mm: 1705 x 1290 x 1180
Wheel base, mm: 2360
Treads (F/R), mm: 1365 / 1325
Ground clearance, mm: 135
Curb vehicle weight, kg: 960
Seating capacity, persons: 5
Doors number: 3
Min.turning radius, m: 4.8
Fuel tank capacity, l: 42

Engine Displacement, cc: 1348
Engine model: CGA3DE
Max.power (Net), kw(PS)/rpm: 85 ps (62.52 kw) / 6000 rpm
Max.torque(Net), N*m(kg*m)/rpm: 12.2 kg*m (119.64 N*m) / 4000 rpm
Power density: 11.29
Engine type: Water cooling serial 4 cylinder DOHC
Fuel system: NISSAN EGI (ECCS) (electronic gasoline injection)
Turbocharger: No
Fuel type : Unleaded regular gasoline
LEV system (Low emission vehicle): Yes
Compression ratio: 9.5
Bore, mm: 72
Stroke, mm: 82.8
Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km: 6.3

CHASSIS / TRANSMISSION
Power steering: Yes
Tires size, front: 165/70R13 79S
Tires size rear: 165/70R13 79s
Braking system, front: Ventilated disk
Braking system, rear : Drum (leading/trailing)
Suspension system, front: Independent suspension strut type
Suspension system, rear: Independent suspension parallel link strut type

EXTERIOR EQUIPMENT
Rear wiper: Present
ABS (Antilock brake system): Present
Electrical Power Mirror: Present

INTERIOR EQUIPMENT
Air conditioner: Manual
Centralized door lock: Present
Power window: Present
Rear ELR3 point seat belt: Present
Front seat pretensioner seat belt: Present
Fourth limited front seat belt: Present
Side impact bar: Present
Airbag (Driver): Present
Airbag (Passenger): Present
Audio deck: AM/FM radio equipped cassette player
CD-player: Single equipment

Here are some pictures from the "for sale page", and the rest of the pictures
is pictures the seller took of the car before I wired the money to him:
IMGP7879.JPG

IMGP7880.JPG

IMGP7881.JPG

IMGP7882.JPG

IMGP7883.JPG

IMGP7884.JPG

IMGP7885.JPG

IMGP7886.JPG

IMGP7887.JPG

IMGP7888.JPG

IMGP7889.JPG

IMGP7890.JPG

IMGP7891.JPG

IMGP7892.JPG

IMGP7893.JPG

IMGP8019.JPG

IMGP8020.JPG

IMGP8021.JPG

IMGP8022.JPG

IMGP8023.JPG

IMGP8024.JPG

And here's a picture from when I picked up the car at the dock i Drammen, Norway.
2010.12.30_paa_hengeren.jpg

And here's a picture on my son finding some ANK11 parts: :p
ulrik_holder_ank11_stabstag.jpg

The plan for the car is to take out, and sell, almost everthing that came with the car,
and then convert it to LHD, and mount an SR20DET for GTiR.
And also planning to use the front and rear wheel setup from the GTiR,
if I can make it fit the car somehow. But this is going to be a LONG time project.

As far as i've read, those had an electric motor which kicked in when the rear wheels started slipping, right?

Car's looking tidy mate!

Greetings from Slovenia,
Alex

OP
OP
N

nik0lai

Club Member
thats a huge project nikolai :eek: good luck and keep us updated eh (Y)
Well, I know it's a HUGE project, and I'm not planing to get finished this year, or next year. But hoping for racing in the 2014 season.

nice(Y) so they did do a 4wheel drive 1 then? or is it custom?
Well. There's a "lot" of these ANK11's sold in north Japan, but it's not the car that is exported much I belive.

As far as i've read, those had an electric motor which kicked in when the rear wheels started slipping, right?

Car's looking tidy mate!

Greetings from Slovenia,
Alex
No, it's just the K12 that have and electric eninge at the rear, if you see on my pictures,
my car is a real AWD k11, with an CGA3DE, and a AWD-CVT tranny.

jesus they must be rare as sh*t :down: i want one now lol:laugh:
Well, I belive it's the only one in Europe. But you can get one in Japan if you're lucky.

yeah man very much want one haha good luck with this mammoth task! well done on getting the car mate
Thanks.

ooh that's specially different. always wondered if k11 could have an independant rear end.
The car is awesome with the independant rear end.. And this in my micra munber 6, soo I've tried some from before. ;)

good plan
1st-turbo 1 litre,,1litre dies
2........1.3 implant turbed up that dies.., gtir implant....???
I've already killed an CG10DE with compressor and an CG13DE with turbo, I can't get enough bhp, drove the CG13DE on 1,2bar boost for 6months..
But killed it in a drag with a cosworth.. But I won!

OP
OP
N

nik0lai

Club Member
I started removing the "asphalt mats" (directly translated for Norwegian, not sure about the english word) ..
2011.02.03_fjernet_asfaltmatter.jpg

Used about 30min on these two, not that bad I think. I'm using a heatgun on aprox. 450'C, and a metal claw.
Anyone have a good idé on how to get rid of the smaal pieces left, with the skin on my fingers still on?

Did also trie a new snap-off steeringwheel on:
2011.02.03_snap-off_ratt.jpg

I think it looks good.

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
Sound deadening? A good idea that works better than the heatgun is to use some freeze spray on it (or wait til a cold winters day) and smash into big pieces with a hammer.

Try some white spirit on the little bits, but be careful of the fumes...

OP
OP
N

nik0lai

Club Member
Sound deadening? A good idea that works better than the heatgun is to use some freeze spray on it (or wait til a cold winters day) and smash into big pieces with a hammer.

Try some white spirit on the little bits, but be careful of the fumes...
I knew about the freeze spray, but I didn't want to start smashing into my march with a hammer. It looks new inside and outside.

It's sound proofing mate (Y)

Cars looking good
Ah, thanks. This car will be loud as hell anyway, soo I don't need them. :p

peposhi

Once I win the Euromillions...
You can use a soldering iron for the small pieces and difficult to reach places. It's a bit smelly... but works :):grinning:

superls

K10 Tuner
petrol should get it off, or at least soften it to just scrape it off, it should also lift the adhesive left behind from heat scraping

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
Hmmm 4WD micra, sound to me an interesting blog to watch.

you can get stuff called Label Remover which is really good smells like oranges.

OP
OP
N

nik0lai

Club Member
Theres more behind the dashboard so don't forget to get that as well :p
I know, but I need to keep the dashboard there until the icetrack season is over here.
Then I'm going to start the conversion to LHD.

Hmmm 4WD micra, sound to me an interesting blog to watch.

you can get stuff called Label Remover which is really good smells like oranges.
Thanks. I've got something called "Sitrus Remover", directly translated from norwegian,
think maybe that will work.
I'm hopeing to make this a interesting blog, but it will take time.
Hoping for the 2014 track season...

petrol should get it off, or at least soften it to just scrape it off, it should also lift the adhesive left behind from heat scraping
Thanks, I'll try. ;)

OP
OP
N

nik0lai

Club Member
Yesterday I removed the rest of the sound proofing mats .. ;)

Stared washing of the smaal pieces that was left..
2011.02.06_asfaltmatter2.jpg

2011.02.06_asfaltmatter1.jpg

Think it was pretty nice..

OP
OP
N

nik0lai

Club Member
First, some pictures of my "spareparts car":
delebilen01.jpg

delebilen02.jpg

And here is some pictures from my work on the car lately:
2011.02.13_ribbet_dashbord.jpg

2011.02.18_dashbord1.jpg

2011.02.18_dashbord2.jpg

2011.02.27_motorrom.jpg

Some testing of and radiator/intercooler kit I had from my last Pulsar GTiR:
2011.03.02_rad-ic1.jpg

2011.03.02_rad-ic2.jpg

2011.03.02_rad-ic3.jpg

2011.03.02_rad-ic4.jpg

Removed the engine last weekend:
2011.03.06_tomt_motorrom.1.jpg

2011.03.06_tomt_motorrom.2.jpg

Well, this is some pictures from the work I've done the last weeks.
I don't have much sparetime to work on the car.. So the progress isn't that fast.

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
Coming along quite quickly if you ask me. That intercooler is a bit on the mahoosive side if you ask me, I was lucky to fit an Almera radiator to my Micra with little modification.

What's next on the list?

OP
OP
N

nik0lai

Club Member
Coming along quite quickly if you ask me. That intercooler is a bit on the mahoosive side if you ask me, I was lucky to fit an Almera radiator to my Micra with little modification.

What's next on the list?
The intercooler is going to be replaced with a smaaler one.
Nest on the list is the LHD convertion, removing ABS, removing ALL existing wireing, and build some new wireing.
And then I need to wait for my GTiR frontcut to arrive.

progress is flying. wowzas ! get a weekend off work and it'll be finished (Y)
Yeah right. Thanks, tho. Hoping to get racing during 2013 season..

OP
OP
N

nik0lai

Club Member
Removed some wiring today..:
2011.03.12_ledningnett.jpg

There was such nice weather outside today, so at moved the car outside:
2011.03.12_luftetur1.jpg

Looks clean and nice inside after removing the wireing inside the car..:
2011.03.12_luftetur2.jpg

This is a month ago, look at all the mess:
2011.02.13_ribbet_dashbord.jpg

OP
OP
N

nik0lai

Club Member
Today I went to my fathers farm to get my "sparepart micra", to get the LHD convertion started.
Pictures will come.. Here's a few pictures of my March'n as it is today:
2011.03.18_ribbet1.jpg

2011.03.18_ribbet2.jpg

OP
OP
N

nik0lai

Club Member
Here is a picture of my old norwegian k11 spareparts car outside the garage, and my march and Primera WP11-144 inside..
2011.03.19_k11_ank11_wp11.jpg

Startet by removing the seats, and cleaning out old trash form the car:
2011.03.19_delebil2.jpg

30min later..:
2011.03.19_delebil3.jpg

Tested the LHD K11 dashboard on my March. Bolt on! ;)
2011.03.19_ank11med_dashbord.jpg

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
oh wow its coming along so quickly! will i be able to see it? i will come to the meet but it wont be ready for that will it? there are so many parts i want from that march you wouldn't believe! the ABS stuff for a start as my Cabriolet has an ABS fault, and the air con has stopped working too!

by the way, if you need any little parts let me know, i have a huge stock of parts in the UK and i am going there soon so i can pick up some stuff if you like.

great work with this its going really well! do you want me to start a thead about this meet and maybe get some UK people coming?

OP
OP
N

nik0lai

Club Member
Thank NeX! I've already made a thread about the Nissan Meet in Kristiansand this summer: Nissan Sporting Club Meet @ Kristansand, Norway

I will keep everthing I can for you. I don't think i will need any March parts. I'm hoping to get this looking like and Norwegian Micra.

But, one thing some of you guys here maybe can answer me. On my norwegian micra, the rear sidewindows can be opened a bit,
but on the March they can't. Is it possible to swap these windows? Or is it differenses from an 1994 to a 1999 car here? They seems a like.

Finaly, some pictures of my "new" GTiR, that will be shipped from Hong Kong during the next week.
Okay, now a hole GTiR, but a frontcut + rear diff and suspension assembly..: (what's the real english name for that?)

gtir1.jpg

gtir2.jpg

gtir3.jpg

gtir4.jpg

gtir5.jpg

gtir6.jpg

NeX

Club Member
Thank NeX! I've already made a thread about the Nissan Meet in Kristiansand this summer: Nissan Sporting Club Meet @ Kristansand, Norway

I will keep everthing I can for you. I don't think i will need any March parts. I'm hoping to get this looking like and Norwegian Micra.

But, one thing some of you guys here maybe can answer me. On my norwegian micra, the rear sidewindows can be opened a bit,
but on the March they can't. Is it possible to swap these windows? Or is it differenses from an 1994 to a 1999 car here? They seems a like.

Finaly, some pictures of my "new" GTiR, that will be shipped from Hong Kong during the next week.
Okay, now a hole GTiR, but a frontcut + rear diff and suspension assembly..: (what's the real english name for that?)

sorry i didn't see that you had done a post in the Meet section, i have added a reply, MAYBE we can get some UK members on board,

thanks for saving the parts, though it is a shame the norwegian micra is brown on the inside,

i have two micras here with rear quarter windows and one pops out and the other doesn't. the one that does pop has bolt holes on the B and C pillars to attach the window hinges to and having a look in the non pop micra there are no holes for those hinges. so i would say that it is not a direct swap unless your March has the bolt holes, which it might do because it came with a lot of factory extras like aircon etc, maybe they used a different chassis that has the bolt holes. just lift up the plastic trim covering the C pillars at the back of the car and see if there are two threaded bolt holes there.

But having said that, it might be easy to fit them anyway, and of course if you have the fixed windows you can replace them with perspex to save weight. there is a guy in the UK called Matt Humphris and he sells plastic windows for the micra, he ships world wide and is known for being the best guy in the business as far as performance parts for micras go

wow i didn't realize you were getting so little of the GTiR, you don't get any gauges or complete wiring loom. you will be having fun! and i see what you mean about getting that rear suspension to fit, its going to be complicated.

your English is right, those are the words we would use unless you are thinking of cross member which is what the diff is sitting on,

NeX

Club Member
oh yea, where is the front struts for the GTiR? are you getting the front hubs and drive shafts?

OP
OP
N

nik0lai

Club Member
The brown interior is either going to be flocked, or changed for a grey interior.

This Matt Humphris, does he sell all 6 windows in the micra in plastic? I was planning
to make the them my self, but if the price is nice, I'll concider it.

I get what I need fron the GTiR. Only thing missing is struts, and ECU.
I've already got a sett of GTiR coilovers from my last GTiR, and I'm not going to use
the original GTiR ECU anyway..
But I got the GTiR engine, drivetrain, front and rear suspension assembly,
rear diff, all 4 driveshafts, etc.. The engine wiring loom is complete, and that is
all I need. It's only 4 or 5 leads I need to get wired extra, before it can run. ;)

I don't need the gauges, but comes along with the cut. At least the seller says so.
I'm going for a 7" touchscreen, connected to the new "ECU", and will give all the
info that i need, and I can change the setup if I need..

Here's a picture from ECU talk, that I used in my last GTiR..:
ecutak_gtir.jpg

NeX

Club Member
The brown interior is either going to be flocked, or changed for a grey interior.

This Matt Humphris, does he sell all 6 windows in the micra in plastic? I was planning
to make the them my self, but if the price is nice, I'll concider it.

I get what I need fron the GTiR. Only thing missing is struts, and ECU.
I've already got a sett of GTiR coilovers from my last GTiR, and I'm not going to use
the original GTiR ECU anyway..
But I got the GTiR engine, drivetrain, front and rear suspension assembly,
rear diff, all 4 driveshafts, etc.. The engine wiring loom is complete, and that is
all I need. It's only 4 or 5 leads I need to get wired extra, before it can run. ;)

I don't need the gauges, but comes along with the cut. At least the seller says so.
I'm going for a 7" touchscreen, connected to the new "ECU", and will give all the
info that i need, and I can change the setup if I need..

Here's a picture from ECU talk, that I used in my last GTiR..:

good call with the flocking/grey of the brown interior, i really didn't like the brown ones. maybe if i spot a scrap micra here in sweden with a grey interior i can get some bits for you. it might work out cheaper than in Norway.

this is Matt's website, you can give him an email but he is not that quick to reply some times so it can be better to call and just ask for him on the phone. he is great to talk with and knows his stuff. also checkout the PDF list of parts he sells, i know there will be lots of stuff you want!
http://www.humphrisoxford.co.uk/motorsport

but as for him doing all the windows, i am not sure. he would probably be able to get them if he doesn't have them already, he had a micra there with all plastic windows apart from the front. but don't forget they can't just be perspex, if you have a crash then you will have sharp bits of plastic everywhere. it might be ok for the back windows but not the front, and of course it can turn yellow in the sunlight over time. the best stuff to make windows out of is "lexan" google it as there are many companies that make it, and it is bullet proof!!

ah awesome about the GTiR, i thought you would struggle without the suspension struts but if you already have them then thats great, also i hear that most people with GTiRs change the ECU to an Omex system. there is a guy on here called Ed (he actually started the club!) he has a website http://www.fusion-motorsport.co.uk/ and he sells the omex stuff and everything you would need for the GTiR, he also knows his stuff, and although you cant visit him personally, he is a great contact for parts.

i would be interested in how you are doing the ECU talk stuff. i am currently building a computer for my car, and was going to have a 7" screen where the dials were for the ECU data, and then a touchscreen in the middle of the dash for other things. the other advantage of having a screen where the dials are is you can switch the image to a reversing camera, or a night vision camera on the front and some infrared lights in the headlights, thats my plan anyway. and again you seem to know a lot about this stuff, but if you need help with the computer side of things then let me know, this is my second car computer and i have learnt a lot about how they work in cold temps and with vibrations etc

OP
OP
N

nik0lai

Club Member
good call with the flocking/grey of the brown interior, i really didn't like the brown ones. maybe if i spot a scrap micra here in sweden with a grey interior i can get some bits for you. it might work out cheaper than in Norway.

this is Matt's website, you can give him an email but he is not that quick to reply some times so it can be better to call and just ask for him on the phone. he is great to talk with and knows his stuff. also checkout the PDF list of parts he sells, i know there will be lots of stuff you want!
http://www.humphrisoxford.co.uk/motorsport

but as for him doing all the windows, i am not sure. he would probably be able to get them if he doesn't have them already, he had a micra there with all plastic windows apart from the front. but don't forget they can't just be perspex, if you have a crash then you will have sharp bits of plastic everywhere. it might be ok for the back windows but not the front, and of course it can turn yellow in the sunlight over time. the best stuff to make windows out of is "lexan" google it as there are many companies that make it, and it is bullet proof!!

ah awesome about the GTiR, i thought you would struggle without the suspension struts but if you already have them then thats great, also i hear that most people with GTiRs change the ECU to an Omex system. there is a guy on here called Ed (he actually started the club!) he has a website http://www.fusion-motorsport.co.uk/ and he sells the omex stuff and everything you would need for the GTiR, he also knows his stuff, and although you cant visit him personally, he is a great contact for parts.

i would be interested in how you are doing the ECU talk stuff. i am currently building a computer for my car, and was going to have a 7" screen where the dials were for the ECU data, and then a touchscreen in the middle of the dash for other things. the other advantage of having a screen where the dials are is you can switch the image to a reversing camera, or a night vision camera on the front and some infrared lights in the headlights, thats my plan anyway. and again you seem to know a lot about this stuff, but if you need help with the computer side of things then let me know, this is my second car computer and i have learnt a lot about how they work in cold temps and with vibrations etc
You don't need to look for a grey dashboard for me. My brother runs a scrapyard,
so the parts isn't that hard to find.. ;)

I can explain and show you when I'm doing it on ny March. If you just want the ECUtalk screen dials, you go buy the OBD cable and download the program from here:
http://www.ecutalk.com/interface.aspx

NeX

Club Member
You don't need to look for a grey dashboard for me. My brother runs a scrapyard,
so the parts isn't that hard to find.. ;)

I can explain and show you when I'm doing it on ny March. If you just want the ECUtalk screen dials, you go buy the OBD cable and download the program from here:
http://www.ecutalk.com/interface.aspx

your brother owns a scrapyard....thats just not fair! i wish i had those kinds of contacts! i had to repair my indicator relay because buying a new one was too difficult!

thanks for the link with the ECU talk, my long term plans for the march may include a different engine that has OBDII instead of OBDI like it has now, so i think i will wait on the cable for now,

NeX

Club Member
great work! are you keeping the power steering? because converting that over to LHD will be a bit complex, the pipe from the pump is molded, and you would need some custom solid pipes.

again i am sure you have already thought of ways if you want to keep the power steering, but one idea which i did was to get an electric power steering pump from a Peugeot and modified the micra power steering system to work with it. that way it can be turned on and off, for slower speeds, or the motor can be PWM pulsed to adjust the power of the assistance, and it doesn't take any power away from the engine (in a way)