• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Project M1 - My Micra Blog

Corbs

Ex. Club Member
As nymo's off the road now awaiting repairs I need a car, so the micra is coming out to play! I bought it off a friend's parents for £25 last may but didnt do much to it except strip the interior (Sold the doorcards and floormats for £25! :cool: ) and add a K and N filter (Free off my mates Corsa).
Now it's back at my house I've painted the bonnet and wheels black (Getting a black grille too) and set to work prepping it for the MoT.
Currently looks like this:
IMGP3962.jpg

IMGP3963.jpg

I need to remove the sticky strips left from the bumpstrips to tidy the exterior up, and it should be lowered in the next few months.

Now, the main problem was a common issue with K11 micras, a rusty front panel/cross member, so I ordered a new one from www.sel-imperial.co.uk which arrived yesterday. In order to ease the cost the mechanic asked me to remove the front end which I've just been doing:
IMGP3984.jpg

Close up Drivers side:
IMGP3985.jpg

Close up Passenger side:
IMGP3986.jpg

And underneath (Pretty rotten):
IMGP3987.jpg

And here's the new one ready to go in!
IMGP3989.jpg

Also to be fixed is the passenger side CV joint, so I bought a spare driveshaft for it which is being fitted at the same time.

Watch this space!

asdame

Ex. Club Member
blimey, that's twice as rusted as mine and mine began to buckle from the numerous jacking up.

garage just finished replacing my front panel with new one i brought off ebay. can't wait to get home from work.

hope ur repair goes ok ;)

James

Chairman
Hello there Mr. Corbs! Fancy meeting you here hehe :)

This thread reminded me I have a spare brand new cross-member in my garage, I should put that in Buy & Sell soon!

Quite a smart K11 :)

James.

OP
OP
C

Corbs

Ex. Club Member
Hello there Mr. Corbs! Fancy meeting you here hehe :)

This thread reminded me I have a spare brand new cross-member in my garage, I should put that in Buy & Sell soon!

Quite a smart K11 :)

James.

Why hello there young james! Shame I didnt know about your x member :glare: lol

It's definately a great car for £25!

Cheers for the welcome, been here a while lol just not done anything!

OP
OP
C

Corbs

Ex. Club Member
Worth every penny!

blimey, that's twice as rusted as mine and mine began to buckle from the numerous jacking up.

garage just finished replacing my front panel with new one i brought off ebay. can't wait to get home from work.

hope ur repair goes ok ;)
Thanks!
It has been standing for near on a year during which time the rust got really bad, all the best with your project too mate.

OP
OP
C

Corbs

Ex. Club Member
Now the SRi is fixed I had a long think about returning the K11 to standard and selling it.
BUT Have decided to keep it until the end of my policy at least as I have rediscovered my love for driving it recently, it's cheap and reliable. Plus I really want to take it up the drag strip! A red bonnet and rear seats are in order to attract less unwanted attention, and for practicality as they can easily be removed when I want.

OP
OP
C

Corbs

Ex. Club Member
HAd a bit of a change of heart with this car, so getting some rear seats and a red bonnet and grille this weekend, to make it look completely standard from the outside. I often give my mates lifts so the seats are needed, obviously I'll take them out when I'm racing the car, if I ever get round to it!
I also wanted a dashboard as the one in there is mullered, kinda miss having a radio, but after a search on here it seems quite complex so may have to make do with the ipod!
What next then, maybe a 1.3 conversion, is it just plug and play?

OP
OP
C

Corbs

Ex. Club Member
Was out in the rain today and these are the only 'Car related' pics I took, still rather like them, the steam effect was pretty amazing!
IMGP4274.jpg

IMGP4258.jpg

IMGP4272.jpg

IMGP4273.jpg

The steam was actually a much bigger 'cloud' but some meshed up astravan drove through it :lol:

OP
OP
C

Corbs

Ex. Club Member
haha I ripped a load of stuff out of a spare micra, and swapped the bonnet and grilles, before scrapping it, was just getting too much 'unwanted attention', it's not exactly a sleeper but I'm going to be keeping it standard on the outside from now on!

OP
OP
C

Corbs

Ex. Club Member
Oh dear.... a day of abuse at the sprint event caused the backbox to break free from the centre pipe....
.... So I just removed it! Actually feels quicker without, and not too noisy either. At the same time I removed the rattly manifold heatshield, which was uber annoying, as I didnt have a proper angle grinder and the bolts were all rusted through, I just had to use the wire brush to melt the heatshield until it broke!
Pic showing the backbox break:
IMGP4497.jpg

Close up of new shorter tailpipe ;)
IMGP4500.jpg

Ahh.. gone at last!
IMGP4498.jpg