Project Car Puter!

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Petey boy, (coming to JAE?) - The connector on the monitor is one i've never seen before. It transmits power, video and touch screen signals over one single cable, so i don't think removing it is an option! It's also attached permanently to the screen, so i would still have to feed the whole cable through if i wanted to remove it anyway :)

GPS receiver i haven't tested yet, it only came in the post yesterday. I'l try doing something with that later though. The wireless keyboard & wireless network adapter are all running fine though!

James

Chairman
Here come my techie questions as promised ;)

Whats the native res of the monitor?
Does it support widescreen resolutions?
Do you not have any problems with heat seeing as wood doesnt conduct it as well as metal?
Are you going to use the Pioneers IP-BUS Aux in adaptor for audio (that's how i'd do it)?
^^^ The lead for that looks a bit like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pioneer-IP-Bu...ryZ14932QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
How well does the CPU cope with the things you've thrown at it so far?

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Ok starting from the top

1) The native resoltion is 800x480 but is able to do 1600x1200. I haven't really messed around with resolutions yet, but it's currently on 800x600 using large fonts & icons :)

2) Yes, it's a widescreen monitor so widescreen resolutions are supported

3) Heat doesn't appear to be a problem, but i havent checked the temperature readings after constant usage. The box although made of thin wood (6mm thick i think), isnt sealed, so heat can escape. It also has a 6cm Input fan and a 6cm output fan, ensuring air flow is good inside.

4) I shouldnt need to use the IP Bus for audio because the output socket on the stereo and input on the head unit are the same, headphone style that you'd find on any traditional PC speaker. I just need a lead to join both together, which i should have plenty of spares from DJ use :)

5) CPU doesn't seem to be struggling, it's only doing one function at a time and isn't much running in the background, but it's early stages. I haven't fully configured the box and i haven't added all the devices to it, so i'l have to get back to you on that in say a couple of weeks, however you can check it out for real at JAE!

Plans for today are to ignore the PC and try fix my head unit. Once working, i'l set up the audio input / output for the DVD, CD, Sat Nav & MP3 audio!

James

Chairman
Oh your headunit has a headphone jack input anyway? Are you sure thats not for the remote commander? I know Pioneer remotes use headphone jack sized leads.

Also, why use 800x600 on a widescreen monitor when it's native is 800x480, if you choose that everything wont look stretched :)

(It's like when you go into electrical stores and they have analogue 4:3 TV signals stretched to 16:9 on their widescreen tellys!)

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Yeah i was going to change it last night but got too wrapped up in the camera stuff i forgot. You know how it is! :p

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Thread tidied up around here, and this post has been changed

With the help of James, i was told i needed a CD-RB20 unit which allows me to have an Aux input aswell as a Cd Changer connected to my head unit. This is needed to allow the PC sound to come out though the car speakers.

I got one from Car Audio Security for about £70 quid

Whilst also looking for information on this, i found some software by Pioneer which allowed me to change the background images and movies on my head unit! Images below of that.

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
I have the same headunit as you Arnold, and just got a Pioneer IP-Bus to rca adapter (as James posted) then an rca to 3.5mm adapter to plug into mp3 players, laptops, etc.

Edit: Yep I can hopefully make JAE for a day.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Whilst looking for other help on this, i came across some software which allows me to change the movies and images built into my head unit! Have just been playing with that :) Another thing to show off at JAE lol

alanarnold9600.jpg

ems9600.jpg

micra9600.jpg

They were just a few quick ones i threw together!

My pioneer AUX thingy has been despatched yesterday and should hopefully be here soon :) Ems & I are going to spray up the PC this weekend and do the finishing touches to it! :)

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Well, you know now! :p

my IP Bus thingy arrived today :) so will fit this at the weekend, along with the DVD software, Autoroute and GPS.

14.IPBUSDSC00330.jpg

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Yeah im aware you have to cover it in PVA glue or an MDF primer before spraying!

Right, good progress tonight! apart from the fact i got carried away and she's now sitting outside on double yellows with a flat battery lol.

Anyway, the IP bus thingy is in, fitted and working! I've also managed to install the DVD playing software and that works too, movies sound awesome with my install! I installed Autoroute 2006 for GPS and although it detects the GPS receiver, autoroute can't seem to get a location. I'l do a bit more investigative work into that another time!

Pics below (as usual, they're crappy ericsson ones)

ipboxDSC00333.jpg

monDSC00336.jpg

humanDSC00339.jpg

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
If i could mate, i would! If the monitor was fixed into the car then i'd drill it through the heater system but because the cable unclips further down (out the picture) then you have to take the cable out with the monitor, which is just way too much hassle

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Cheers dude! Did a little bit of work on it yesterday but nothing too major. Apart from painting & re fitting, i'd say it's pretty much finished.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Right, this is how it looks now! Blends in quite nicely. Cables need tidying but i'l do that once all devices are attached.

3-pc.jpg

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
You know how zoomed into that specific area that shot is. If i took that further out, and from driver / passenger height position, it would be harder to see. It isnt all that big in reality, but what would be the point of me posting a small photo?

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Yeah! that's all good now! Just need to set up the head unit settings again!

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
As i said above (did you read it?) it's only really noticable in that shot as i've aimed the camera straight at it. It doesnt stand out much if you were sitting in the car normally

I'l get the motherboard model tomorrow, cant remember off the top of my head