Progress Report on Dan's K10

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
i demand to see pictures and have a full progress report on your car lol.

whats going on with it?

Ta

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Lol yeah all the pics are on there. Taking far too long and getting quite annoyed with it now as it seems to be problem after problem although surely but slowly its getting there!!! :)

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Ok, decided I will give you all a full run down of whats happening with the car and how it has been getting on. :) Also with pictures. :p

Ok I gave the car to Wayne with the hopes that it would be ready for JAE this year. We set off planning to change parts of the car which I thought would enhance, and update parts which I felt let the car down and also to add my own touch to it. For those of you who don't know, Wayne is setting up his own business and therefore my car was the guineapig. I do have some other pictures of the car before the stages on there but they are on my old hard drive but I will try and upload them sometime.

As the time got nearer to JAE it was apparent that my car would not be ready, partly due to the lovely NE weather and Wayne been ill for a week and also a few other problems which were not forseen. This meant that we had time til the next show to sort out everything, and the list of modifications planned continued to grow. The list as it stood at the moment was:

Denji Honda Civic Angel Eyes front headlights, for these we needed a mechanism to flip the bonnet in the opposite direction to the k10 as standard. We firstly tried mini hinges as the bonnet it curved at the back and uses the same idea that we were after. We found that this didn't work and we used clio ones, which were mounted on either side at the rear of the bonnet, and fibreglassed round them so they looked like a part of the car. This worked a treat and the bonnet now flips 90degrees, and also has two struts which life the bonnet up. This now allowed for the badboy to be fitted. k11 bars were moulded into the bumper which made the lights sit a little higher, and custom brackets were made for the lights themselves. The old indicators had a plate welded over them and were smooth and a nice line was put in to follow the line down the side of the car right to the front.

In the mean time this was left and the D&M saxo arches were fitted. Originally on ebay they were advertised as dimma arches and were therefore different to Wayne's, however when they came it turned out that they were infact D&M, and identical to Wayne's car, which neither of us wanted!!! We decided that we could actually modify the rear arches to look similar to the D&M ones which a little extra added touch. This resulted in the arches that I have now, which is one of the nicest additions to the car in my opinion.

Next came the front arches which on first impression appeared to look good, however when they were fitted up against the car they looked far to big and stuck out too much and didn't follow the lines at all of the rest of the car!!! So this meant that we had very little time to find new arches if the work was to continue. I frantically searched on ebay etc, but didn't want to spend alot after the amount I had spent on the set of arches. (which Neil now has the front ones on the bbq... cough cough ;)) Luckily one of my mates had a mate who was selling a full set of Mk1 XR2 splitters and arches for a bargain of a price!!! And they looked just right too. However when we got them they were actually rubber and it proved to be quite a challenge to fit them because of this. However we got them fitted and they looked great and followed the lines and style of the rear arches really well!!! :D

The plan for the car was to go smooth so the handles, indicators were smoothed off and afterwards as an additional plan the roofliner. One of the handles sank slightly but this was fixed and it was looking very smooth. The boot was resmoothed and also added to the look of the car.

Then came the badboy which this was thought was going to be easy, however it turned out to be very complicated. It was hard to get the curve of the bonnet and so the solution was to weld 3 plates on again to make the curve, and this ended up taking much longer than it should have.

Brava rear light - which after inspection appeared that it would be easier and would look better if they were flush and smoothed into the tailgate. The old tailgate was rusted underneath so Wayne used a new boot and smoothed that and welded 2 additional plates on the sides to keep the curve of the boot and allow the lights to be fitted into the boot. Light cages were made behind the lights to allow the lights to sit in cosily. :) After a while it became apparent that the system we had for this wasn't working as the edges were to thin, and the filler kept cracking. A few days later this was solved and it is now a sturdy solid boot, which follows the line of the boot down nicely.

Another area which was decided we would do but was not originally planned was the relocation of the fuel filler. This was a job that was done just before JAE and it was a rush to find a suitable suel filler, which in the end ended up costing me alot of money for such a little thing!!! The fuel filler was smoothed off and the new fuel filler was located in the B-pillar with fairly little pipe work required to make it work but did cost alot of money for the fuel cap, which is actually used on airplanes lol. :eek: This was sorted out eventually though and the mod looked good and added to the smooth look. :D

The engine also gave us major grief, which originally was just going to be to spray it up to match the exterior of the car and make it look clean. However we tested the engine, and there was very little compression on 1 cylinder. We decided that as we were sorting out everything we should get this sorted and rebuild the whole engine. On further inspection, we found that the waterways were blocked with muck somehow, so we cleaned the engine got the head skimmed and put a new head gasket on. It was sprayed up and a few parts replaced and fitted back into the car before the car was sprayed. However, we had a problem with the gearbox so that had to be taken out again!!! gr This was sorted and we got the engine running again.

After a few finishing touches the car was pretty much ready for spraying. I must admit the spraying was a little rushed and the orange reacted, meaning it had to be done again. Spraying in the back yard isn't exactly ideal though until he gets his premises. The whole car needed sanding back down again, and the car was polyestered and finished properly before the spraying.

Our next target was Jap Show Finale, which was nearing ever closer to us. With the final repsray just around the corner, everything was done slowly and taken time over. It all looked good, although we were a little short of time. The laquer was put in the day before but didn't go on quite as well as planned as Wayne had never used the show shine laquer before, which although was shiny had a slight orange peel effect. This could have been sorted and the plan was to take the buffer down there and do an early morning session buffing the car lol. I finished work at 5 and headed up to Wayne's just after, he was still working on the car getting it somewhere near, until we met yet another problem!!! :) The alarm started playing up, and randomly started arming itself, going off, even going off while the engine was on, windows going up randomly etc lol, it was like the car was possessed. We had had electric problems before but we thought that they would be easily sorted, as when we first got the car it was stripped competely and the wiring of the alarm etc was an absolute mess!!! After all of the work that had gone into the car I didn't fancy taking it down there with no alarm and and engine that hadn't been completely ran in yet. So the decision was made that we would miss yet another show, the last one of the season. :(

As it stands now it seems like we now have a problem with the clutch gr which will add more time to it been finished, the paint has now been wet and dried and needs a hell of alot of buffing to get it to a spot on shine, which I'm sure it is capable of!!! I want it to shine loads as Wayne knows lol, as the pearl in delicious when it flips and the metallic shines lots too lol. So its just a case of sorting out the remaining problems now and getting the paint up to a nice shine. :) Also with the kids next door to his there is a scratch that has appeared which will also need to be sorted, once again not ideal spraying in the back yard, but still that can't be helped at the minute. So not long to go now but after everything that has happened there is no way that I am putting a finish date on it now, as this car has proved that anything that can go wrong will do. :( I don't think words can actually describe how annoyed/happy/frustrated I have been with this car, and more than once I have seriously considered stripping the car for parts and buying a new one, as the time it has took and the problems that we have had are really taking the pi$$. It is still even hassling my mind now too, although I must say though when I see it now it does look truly insane and after alot of time and alot of hardwork it does look really good. :) So good infact that it will be an awesome car when its done if I may say so myself, just some of the excitement of it been done has gone due to the problems that have occurred, and I must say I have lost alot of interest unfortunately!!!

Still can't wait for it done though, I am just seriously hoping that it doesn't cost me much more money to get it done. And damn this has turned into a very long post now, so I will stop hehe, this time next year also as long as everything goes well I am planning an SR20DE 2.0l coversion, but thats a very long way off and at the moment I am just looking to get it finished and just simply enjoy driving it for a while, taking it to shows and not have to spend massive amounts of money on it anymore. Anyway, sure there will be loads of pictures up when it finally is done, it is looking really nice though. And I hope you all read this lol, as its took me ages to write!!! :D Enjoy. :)

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Nothing wrong with a long post dan, sorry to hear of all the probs perhaps aim for Donny next year?

Ed

James

Chairman
Very long post but I read every word of it, well written too :) Sounds like its gonna be a looker when it's finished :), I expect to see you at Donny ;) :cool:

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
James said:
Very long post but I read every word of it, well written too :) Sounds like its gonna be a looker when it's finished :), I expect to see you at Donny ;) :cool:

Cheers Jamesy Bob!!! :) Hehe, yeah hoping it will be pretty mch complete by Donny, apart from the engine lol, now with a possible cream interior the more I think about it lol. :s It better be ready for Donny next year though yeah. :p Will say Christmas time though hehe, just to be on the safe side. ;)

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Well I really hope your happy with all the work carried out Dan, it's taking ages to get completed though. My real concern is the paint work being sprayed outdoors and there also seems to be overspray in places too.

Kev

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Thanks for the comments. :)

Yeah the overspray is a little annoying lol, but its all pretty much sorted out now, all of the bodywork is done now really, just needs a good buff and polish and the interior and electrics sorting out. It all sounds so easy lol!!! :p

B

Ben

good to see matey, work looks way cool and will deffo be the craziest k10 in the country and at least you can say its your own too - that is untill Wayne gets started on his own - nice to see some pics of my car too

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Speedle said:
yup 2 and a half days its taken me to clean my super s back to a shine and about £30 worth of cleaning products lol

lol did wayne spray that aswell then?

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Krazy told me that one of the wings was sprayed by quicky, but apparently it needs doing again. The rest of the car had loads of crud on the paint which needed cutting off. Mine was just the same!

Arnold

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Lol, he sprayed it out of a can from halfords very, very, quickly, as it needed doing at the time and he was busy with mine, thats why it looked a little shoddy, it looked better than it was though, the rust had eaten most of the old wing. :)

Now stop it with the thread hi-jacking!!! :p

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
Kev said:
lol just a bit i guess he was aiming for the wing, but in the process got the roof windows doors bonnet infact only two panels didnt need real work, the other wing and the boot......

2 AND A HALF DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 AND A HALF I TELLS YA!!!!!

anyway the car looks fantastic compared to what it did 2 small denst lower part of one door and the wing to sort and a small bit of rust on the boot and she'll be mint :D

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
To get this back on topic... ;) I have found a few more pictures taken on my camera. :) Pre-laquer. :p

26-Spain%20Sept%202005%20002.jpg

7-Spain%20Sept%202005%20015.jpg

20-Spain%20Sept%202005%20049.jpg

14-Spain%20Sept%202005%20060.jpg

9-Spain%20Sept%202005%20171.jpg

9-Spain%20Sept%202005%20172.jpg

29-Spain%20Sept%202005%20176.jpg

27-Spain%20Sept%202005%20181.jpg

:) :) :)

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
You've sprayed the exhaust orange?! Still cant wait to see this thing for real!

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
It's probably been covered in masking tape Arnold which hasn't been yet removed since the spraying.

Kev

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
well ive seen this car in the flesh, the side skirts are expertly moulded into the k10 i was very impressed with that i have to say. but the rears lights are awful (sorry dan) and the back bumper HAS to be changed, i have to say i miss kev's old car that truley was one of the best k10's ever, not a fan of ott body kits, but waynes skills are very impressive when you think hes done it all in his back alley :)

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
Dan, i was merley saying bits of it are not to my taste, the only bit i dont like is the rear, even wayne agreed with me he didnt really like the lights, the rest of car is spot on!

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Kev said:
Well I really hope your happy with all the work carried out Dan, it's taking ages to get completed though. My real concern is the paint work being sprayed outdoors and there also seems to be overspray in places too.

Kev

yup 2 and a half days its taken me to clean my super s back to a shine and about £30 worth of cleaning products lol

Krazy told me that one of the wings was sprayed by quicky, but apparently it needs doing again. The rest of the car had loads of crud on the paint which needed cutting off. Mine was just the same!

Arnold

You've sprayed the exhaust orange?!

have to say i miss kev's old car that truley was one of the best k10's ever,

Its not just you mate!!! I'm fed up with comments like above. Nobody cares that I am doing something different and extreme with a micra. No-one can appreciate the work, time and effort that I am putting into this project!!! Its not Kev's car anymore, I'm not fussed whether you thought it was better then, it hasn't been his car for nearly 2 years now, so just don't mention it!!! Bearing in mind also that Kev was going to put a wide arch kit on it before I bought it off him, sometimes wish I hadn't now... but I did. You all seem to concerned with what Wayne has done wrong or what it looks like he has cocked up, instead of actually the car itself. I know some of you aint too keen on Wayne, but its not Waynes car, and its not Kevs car. This club has changed!!! gr

B

Ben

dan, leanr to take criticism, just coz he doesnt like the rear lights - others will - im still in two minds about the lights, maybes coz i seen stues car and the looked ace on his but his were done pro, maybes you should have tried different lights, im not overly keen on colour scheme either but i think the car as a whole will look better as theres been a lot more done to it.
Also, when you see it in the flesh you will notice the difference in paint quality, Wayne has tremendous skill for someone who taught himself but the paint job wil never be as good as a proffessional one

B

Ben

I had this chat with Wayne myself and lots of people still do think its Kevs car but thats part of life i.e when people sell things on they think they have a right to be involved, but also you must remember that its probably hard for Kev too, put yourself in his shoes i.e. after you have spent all this time and money on it getitng the work done thats gretting done now and then you sell it to somoene who takes it right down to the shell and starts again, you would probably be a bit upset, but i do understand where your coming from, i suppose thats the risk that people take when buying a modified car from someone they will remain in conact with. I sen ym k11 last week and it was in a right state and i was a bit upset but life moves on and i think Kev knows this now!

Look at the end of the day, your car, your opinion, your money, your mods! Im sure people will like it when its finished

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
im sorry dan but quoting the fact i said it took me 2 and a hlf days to clean that car takes the #### i had paul (fox) help me clean that car i shall post a pic in a second to show everyone a before and after, i font lie about what it was like! the whole car was like sand paper and it WAS oversray cos there was paint over all the side windows and the windscreen i shall go and take some pictires! chill out, you should have realised when you bought that car off kev people would still refer to it as kevs car! it been an inspiration of this club for years! infact its what made me mod my micra...

i can apprecite the work in that car if you read my post earlier youd see that i said that!! wayne is very skilled at what hes done and it will push others to new limits as well, but you cant expect everyone to like whats you done to that car.

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
I know and I don't. Oh forget it, I wasn't having a go at you anyway Mat. Just wait til the middle of next week when its finished.

Batch

Ex. Club Member
....wish i could swear!!!

The transformation is quite amazing, the first few posts i thought "oh dear, this is gonna be a mess" but from the first to the last the finishing is spectacular....that is going to be an amazing looking car, really like some of the mods on there, good going guys. Well done to quicky too from me, he really is getting pretty good with the old fibreglass, if i lived up north i'd take my car to him without hesitation. top work

Batch

Ex. Club Member
Yeah it looks good, also like the bad boy bonnet and the arches come out just enough, not more than the front bumper which is good. Be interesting to see if a spoiler will come into the fold (if it doesn't have one already!)

I think mine is crying out for one but i've been looking for almost a year now and haven't found one which i think looks good on the K10. Problem is with the bottom half looking squared off by the front bumper the top half looks a little too rounded by comparison, hence i think i need a spoiler (recon MM will decide the same, it's inevitable :) , question of relative horizontal symmetry!!!!) :D

Sorry to be spending your money for you MM!!? :)

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Lol, yeah spoiler is on the way mate. It was sprayed seperately though so hence why it aint on the car. :) Sorry all, woke up in a bit of a cranky mood this morning... shouldn't take it out on you all. :)

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Krazy's right, kev's car to many inspired people to mod there cars. It did with me too! In my personal opinion, it was the best K10 in the club. With the amount of changes that you have made, i dont see why you didnt start with a fresh K10 as nothing on that car has remained the same. Like i have always said, i am looking forward to seeing what it has become & do apprechiate the work going into it - parts of it i like, parts of it i dont!

For people to like that car as much as you'd like us to, then its going to have to be better than kev's creation - after all, you've changed the best car to be better, but only we can decide that! We're always going to compare the car before and after it was changed. What we think is our own personal opinion and you cant shoot us down for having one!

Arnold

OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
tbh if you all aspire to the work kev did on his car then its a blessing, the car no longer exists so if you really wanted to you could re-create it using one of your cars.
nova fr bumper, are they delta sideskirts and then a 106 rear valence. is that right?
my 2p

O

ohc_turbo

im not into big bodykits myself, im more of a engine man but what youve done to it is cool and unique, not to my taste as i like a nice subtle kit but it will definatly be a sight to see when its all put together

good job

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
so far my fav kitted k10 has to be batch's id still like to see some decent pictures of that! batch take the hint post some pics please! :D

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Yeah as I say I take all your points, but was just a little annoyed this morning. :s I know it will really always be compared to Kev's, however in my opinion things needed changing to keep the lines of the bodykit and other bits, and the paintwork and parts of it was getting quite bad. In my opinion it is now so much better than it was before and it is a major improvement!!! I have just been to see it today and I must say I am over the moon with how it is coming on now. The paint work looks awesome and I would even go as far to say it looks like a good professional job. You couldn't even tell it was done outside, and the shine and the finish is excellent!!! :D I have took loads of pictures anyway so will get them uploaded tonight after uni. Just a few things to sort out and it is just about done!!! :D

paul_k10_Lx

Deactivated Account
loving the paint colour combinations all round looks cool i think that u can never take anything said about ur car to hart as everybody has different taste. some will like some dont who cares as long as its wot u want

Batch

Ex. Club Member
Keep up the good work MM, will have to compare notes when the beast comes to one of the meets, should have the sr20 block in by then.

For all who have asked, when the sun comes out i'll take some more photo's of my beaut (will be getting lots in when the conversion is being done so you can all salivate till then.....like me!!)

Sorry to thread hijack MM, no disrepect, keep the pics coming yourself.

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Its kool mate!!! I'm just glad to hear that you are continuing with the conversion mate. ;) Hehe, will have to have a good look at it when it is done as that is next on the list, after the interior is done. :D

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
micra man said:
Its not critisicm though Ben, I can take that, its cr@p that people post relating to Wayne, and when it was Kev's car!!! Kev still hasn't even got over that yet.
I'm not quite sure what you mean about that Dan? because I have far got over the fact I don't own the car anymore and in fact I don't miss it at all and this has never been a problem. I'm more then content with my Corolla as that in my eyes is a far superior car to what I had before.

You bought a car that travelled up and down the country to many shows and as can clearly been seen here inspired many to modify K10's, it has been described as one of the finest K10's in the club and for a time the face of the MSC, not my words, but said by many. This is why soo many people still refer to the car as it was and such a radical change will bring about questions and doubts.

I was quite happy to let you take over the car and let go and since you have, I have not intefered with the car once! I have merely been here for when you have asked any questions to help along the way and I only wants what's best for your interests

However I can still comment on this car, just like any other in this club whether it was previously owned by me makes no difference and as chairman of this club I want to see it finished and show worthy to really make a difference at next years show's

For what it's worth here's my honest opinion;

Side skirts and arches look fantastic! Wayne has done a superb job in making these flow together down the side of the car.

I quite like the tailgate and feel that the lights have improved the style and updated the look of the car.

Not sure on the bonnet and headlights and think that the car now could possibly do with deeper more imposing rear bumper, but looking to forward to seeing the car in person.

Kev :)

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Just ignore it Kev, I was having an off morning. :p I've edited it now. Here are some updated pictures from today. :)

The images really don't do it any justice at all, and the rainwater sat on the car doesn't help!!! The orange also always looks a different colour on the images to what it does in the flesh lol. :D Things left to do... sort mesh out, finish a bit of paintwork, sort interior and ICE out, sort electrics and front indicators, sort alarm and she's all good to go again. ;)

6-new%20pics%20017.jpg

24-new%20pics%20024.jpg

14-new%20pics%20009.jpg

22-new%20pics%20010.jpg

Back bumper aint finished yet. :)

14-new%20pics%20022.jpg

Can see a bit of pearl on this one. :)

:p

k11stew

Ex. Club Member
looks canny nice like...

as i said when i met you the rear lights are too curvy for the car...

front end looks good though, very mean...

sides are spot on aswell...

was shocked when i saw how many parts of the car reminded me of mine - bonnet, front bumper, back lights, fuel filler .....

good job though mate, its mad!

ive had enough of big kits now though and the car will be mega euroed for donny '06.