Batch

Ex. Club Member
micrasr20front12-11-05.jpg

micrasr20frontclose12-11-05.jpg

It's coming. :)

James

Chairman
That lump is HUGE!!!!

Muchos kudos for getting it done though, and I have to ask for a friend - how much is it costing? :)

James.

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
don't want to say just yet, mainly because i don't know the final figure but also cuz i'll have people laugh at me......and rightly so!? Alot :D

R

RIK

vvl,,,is the jap spec version of the sr20,the better spec one(i think anyway)

hard to find and expensive iirc

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
I'll probably end up wi3th it in the boot. Don't forget the air filter is going to have to extend into that space, and whatever other turbo parts in the future, so i'll need that space soon enough!!

tommo

Ex. Club Member
RIK said:
vvl,,,is the jap spec version of the sr20,the better spec one(i think anyway)

hard to find and expensive iirc

vvl is nissans answer to v-tec

batch - i spoke to lyons on msn about this

good to see its comin together

tommo

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
yeah tommo, stil to meet you in the flesh, i know Lyons and Minty with the Astra turbo. Was with Lyons at trax trying to find you guys, to no avail though.

Variable Valve Lift? VVL

O

ohc_turbo

hows the gearbox fitting in tight or does it fit under the beam?

going to try and do a CA18ET conversion when the summer hits us again, be nice to have a micra with 200bhp

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Mate thats great stuff!!! Mad actually seeing it in the engine bay but good to see lots of progress!!! Really looking forward to seeing the final outcome of this and whether it will still be used as a day to day car lol. :D IF all goes well I'm sure I will be following the same path next year. I take it you'll be at Donny next year in this yes?? Will look forward to seeing it in the flesh. :D

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
i still think the cg13 would be the best conversion for the k10 keep some economy but still get some good power :) once my debts are sorted i will be doing this now i have a mate that can weld up the mounts :D

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
Shaft tech in Birmingham can make custom units thankfully.

Pulsar brakes up front :)

Looking to get Leda adjustables all round afterwards so I can keep the bodykit.

The gearbox fits well, the mounting point is just below the bottom of the crossmember in the engine bay, about 2cm clearance :)

G

ga16?

a mate of mine is scrapping a sunny sr with the ga16de engine and i was wondering how much time/money it would take to get the engine into a micra??? the engine's gonna cost me nothin so if it's too much work it's gotta be done!

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
Just a quick friendly word of advice for all. Paying someone else to do a conversion costs alot, alot alot alot (in the case of reputable companys that is), the work it takes to do any conversion is reatively the same, mounts, loom, driveshafts, gear linkage etc etc etc. which means in labour costs you would be paying the same to get an sr20 lump in as you would to get the ga16 lump. So why go for a smaller engine? If you're gonna fork out you may as well go the whole hog, plus the sr20 lump is mapped on the same bock as the GTi-r so when you get bored of the 150bhp standard you can push for the 200+ club.

Seems silly to pay out all of the cash to get a conversion done and have a slower car than someone who's paid out the same money for a bigger conversion? All my opinion i suppose and fair play to all who take the path of righteousness :) , but there must be some sense in it.....must'n there?

Or am i just trying to convince myself??! :(

Ring around, you'll get varying quotes, some trustworthy and some not so (you'll know by how blazay they pluck a figure out of the air!!), i'm sure you all must have an idea of how much a good conversion costs, don't make me embarrass myself by actually writing numbers down...have a guess!!!?

Bit different for you ga16 if you have a block for free i suppose, but then you've got hidden costs unless he's giving you a free roam of his engine bay, in which case you'll have everything you need for the conversion.

Sorry about the long post all, not ranting and all my opinions in fairness, so don't think i'm getting all high horsey on ya :)

My conversion should take about a month and a bit, 6 days a week (mostly wiring) :(

R

RIK

depends wot you want from the car tho,,imo the 1.6 is the best conversion for the k11

if you want stupid power go for the 2.0,but ita a micra! it not ment to handle that sort of power,,ok for a race car but daily driver go for the 1.6

also the ga16 is easy to tune up if you do want abit more power

my opinion so dont say im wrong

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
just kidding ya, yeah i can see what you mean. always been into stupid power figures, aways wanted a turbo micra and always wanted to do over those big headed Nova boys and their red top GSI conversions...blah :)

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I agree with both points there, if you want stupid power which the k10 cant cope with then get the 2.0! You'l find once youve put 200+ through it, the body will probably fold in two.

For general all round day to day stuff, a GA16de with light tuning would be more than enough for the K10! and they also have potential for stupid bhp too! Ed's convinced me the 1.6 is the way to go and he knows what hes on about

Arnold

G

ga16?

i've never had anything to do with engine swaps before so this may be a stupid question but would i be able to use the driveshafts etc from the sunny sr if that made the swap easier? i can take anything off the car that i need. hope so cos the 1.6 in the sunny went like a good un with just with a fuel pressure regulator and an ecotek valve so in a mica it'll be seeing off smelly vts's no probs!

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
tbh i still think for weight at the front a nice turbo'd or even better super charged cg13 would be the best bet esp as you could use k11 drive shafts hubs brakes etc, assuming the engine is plonked in the right place. from what i can tell the gear linkage would fit on fine as well ;) so its happy days all round ;) and you can keep some good fuel econmy too, and tax, adn insurance :D

O

ohc_turbo

CA18 would be a good conversion, its more compact than the SR and it give out more power (if you put a CA18DET)

Sure SR20 gives a lot of power, but it also weights a lot. MA10 engine weights 69kg, when SR20 is 147kg. Then the gearbox.. as someone would've noticed, Micra's gearbox is very light and comparing to Primera's or Sunny's SR-serie gearbox, there is a significant difference. So you have to be aware that the car is going to be very front heavy and the weight distribution will not be good. Also the weight of the car increases quite a lot, but sure SR20 K10 will be one fun car to drive :laugh:

And for the weight distribution... I've done 1.5i turbo ic engine swap to my K10 and even though E15ET weights around 100kg and the gearbox isn't much heavier than Micra's, it's weight distribution is now nearly 500kg to the front and a bit over 200kg to the back. The complete weight of the car was measured to around 730kg. And even there is so much weight on the front, I still can't get enough grip on normal road speeds. So, much power on fwd daily driver is pretty much useless.

But there are also advantages from the weight in the front. As I've compared my 1.5t Micra to my 1.0 (completely stock) Micra, the 1.5t engined Micra is much more stabilized on high speeds than my other Micra.

But, how about Sunny GTi-R 4wd transmission with the SR20? :) I have plans to make a 4wd Micra from my 1.0 model using Subaru's engine and gearbox. There aren't many parts missing anymore to start working :)

Andrew

Club Member
Tee Koo said:
I have plans to make a 4wd Micra from my 1.0 model using Subaru's engine and gearbox. There aren't many parts missing anymore to start working :)

Are these serious plans? Which particular engine? The flat four used in the Imprezas would be really awkward to fit. Nice engine though, good sound as well. Probably one of the lighter 4WD systems as well, suited to the Micra. A hell of a lot of work to install though.

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
CA18DET might cause problems as it's transversely mounted originaly, it's gonna have to be turned to get into the engine bay :( Did look into this one though, would have been a turbo straight off.

As for the sr20 conversion, with Leda coilovers at the rear, wound up to 20% harder than the fronts the back end won't squat as much under power and therefore might reduce spinnage and get more power to the floor.

And think about it, there are alot of cars out there the same size as the micra that have similar size lumps, 205GTi (1.9), Seat Ibiza Cupra, clio 172 etc etc.

With the added weight up front and harder suspension at the back it should put power down better than an ST!? 140bhp from an engine that weighs 90Kg or 150bhp from an engine that weighs 167Kg, more weight to the front, as much power?

tommo

Ex. Club Member
Andrew said:
Are these serious plans? Which particular engine? The flat four used in the Imprezas would be really awkward to fit. Nice engine though, good sound as well. Probably one of the lighter 4WD systems as well, suited to the Micra. A hell of a lot of work to install though.

hold on he's built a rare as you like micra with a 1.5 cherry turbo lump and possibly the craziest lookin k10 'thing' ive ever seen, so theres reason why not to do a 4wd imprezza micra :D

BATCH i cant believe we missed you and chris at trax - sayin that we were walkin round almost all day, and i walked past the ssc a couple of times, and didnt see chris although ive only met him once before but sort of remembered his face lol

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
Well i'll be there again this year, hopefully with my car all sorted, bodywork and suspension etc etc. Will try and get onto the stand and represent!! :)

Will definatey catch up ASAP, as aoon as it's on the road i'll be poppin to J'N'C meet too.

I honestly don't think the front weight will be as much of a problem as everyone thinks, plus i'll have ICE in the boot and some other stuff weighing that down, obviously not 100kgs of stuff but enough to balance it out a bit at least. Will have to see i suppose, sure will be fun testing it out though i'm sure :D

Andrew said:

The engine will at the first testing be 1.8 carb/1.8 efi turbo from Subaru Leone, but I might also try putting the 2.0 turbo engine from my Leone to the Micra, because I'm making a fitment plate which can make the EJ-series engine (Legacy/Impreza) fit to EA-series (Leone) gearbox. The tranny and suspension will be from Leone and I've all measured and plans ready for start making.

But even though I'm only missing some little parts, I won't start working before march 2006, because I'm using that Micra as my daily driver to the end of february, where it's driving time lasts before new inspection. And as I know that the body is pretty much rusted, the car won't pass our annual inspection here in Finland... but since then... hard driving because it doesn't matter how bad condition the car will be :laugh: There aren't any chances of getting a 4wd Micra street legal here, so I won't bother fixing the body. But... it can be driven on street if you "have to transport it to some other place" when we have to pay a little bit for the insurance, but the don't inspect the car and you can thereby drive nearly anything on public road, if it has it's serial number still on somewhere.

I've measured that even the 2.0 turbo engine (used in Legacy/Impreza turbo) will just fit to Micra's engine bay without cutting the body frames on the side. Off course, some of the firewall and floor will have to be cut to get the transmission fitted, but thats easy :)

But... slightly tuned 2.0 16V turbo IC engine with 4wd in a Micra weighting about 1900-2000lbs, should be fun and surprising when leaving traffic lights :)

tommo said:
possibly the craziest lookin k10 'thing' ive ever seen
You mean this "thing": http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/TeeKoo/Kuvia1/Suncra1.jpg :laugh:

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
More more more!!!

It's coming along nicely.

These are just preliminary situating mounts, as the engine is slightly dropped in the middle. However this is the turn that the engine will take when it's finished, fabricated mounts and mounting points. The bonnet is on (saw as much this evening) and the car is rolling on the stock wishbones. These will come off this week and the fabrication of the joints and suspension cup mountings will begin (to house the pulsar coilovers) and the Almera GTi hubs and brakes.

Onwards and upwards!!!! :D

Thoughts?

Attachments

• convfrontwide19-11.jpg
    convfrontwide19-11.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 868
  • convoffsidewide19-11.jpg
    convoffsidewide19-11.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 733
  • convoffsideclosemount19-11.jpg
    convoffsideclosemount19-11.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 653
  • convnearsclosemount19-11.jpg
    convnearsclosemount19-11.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 655
  • convfrontclosemount19-11.jpg
    convfrontclosemount19-11.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 671
OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
these are the hubs and suspension items that will be used!

Attachments

• convbrakhubsus19-11.jpg
    convbrakhubsus19-11.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 738
OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
These are just preliminary situating mounts, as the engine is slightly dropped in the middle

:) yeah it's just the preliminary mounting position, it isn't in any of the other pictures either!

Super S 1.5T

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
your cars coming along well:)
good stuff, would be good to see all completed.

wanted to know if the rear mount has been done as yet? and if u have any pics:)

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
yeah it's done, wasn't on the ramp though this saturday so i couldn't get a piccy of it. Will do this sat

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
very impressive mate nice to see steady progress being made :D

the engine looks like its gonna be uite happy in that engine bay :D

make sure you get a sticker for the boot that says 1.0 super when its done for comical value :D

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
Probably have Micra DE or Micra GT (tempted for Micra GTi-R when it's all turbo'd, that would be comical enough!!?) :)

Dave Bull

Ex. Club Member
I don't care what anyone says, I have never had this much fun in any car before. Sure, my Almera GTi was damned quick with the nitrous, but the K11 would have left it for dead.

Seriously, I will be at Crail this weekend and will hopefully come home with the Scottish FWD record!

Watch this space guys!

Cheers

Dave