• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Progress Report on Chris Batch's 2.0 SR20DE conversion

Looks good Paul, very prof.

Plan on just using the Micra emblem off the K11 and the GTi-R emblem off the Pulsar….just so it looks like I’ve stuck them on to “increase bhp” :) …….and then when people point and laugh, I’ll lift the hood…..!!!!

Joy :D

micrabadge.jpg

thats a really old one i made

Looks good man, you should think about producing some, think people might be interested in them if you could find a local manufacturer to CNC them and have them sprayed etc.

Update peeps. More piccies than youl ever need!! Oh and the rose joints are on (much to some peoples disgust im sure! :) )

Right, explanations. here we go.

the 7th picture down is a picture from inside the arch of the clearance between the chassis and the top of the gearbox! In fact, clearance is an unappropriate word realy...as there isn't any!

Pictures of the Almera GTi hubs and brakes (rusted as they are just preliminary parts to get it rolling)

Also of the pulsar coilovers.

And the gear linkage which has obviously been modified to fit.

I also have a working clutch pedal (altered cable) to go with my gears which shift much the same as the old micra ones.

whilst i was there today the petrol tank had been removed and the process of making the fuel tank effectively injection worthy had begun!

So boys and girls the beast is now rolling on almera hubs, discs, calipers, pulsar coilovers and the fuel lines have been fabricated.

Oh and take note of the clearance of the altenator belt pulleys in the one image :eek: crikey!!

after xmas me thinks, i'm in no rush, i'd rather the guy take his time and get everythin rollin safely...much as he does too thankfuly. :)

those pulleys look abit close mate.but looking good,can see alot of work gone into it

infact imo ther too close,wen the engines running it mite rub and make awfull sound

Looks mighty close!!! Nice to see alot of progress been made though. Hard to tell from the pic but it looks as if it could scrape if the weight was over one side of the car on turns etc. Bit of a squeeze but looking forward to seeing the results. :D

there's about 5mm+ clearance between the belts and the metalwork so it should be ok. We might be able to keep the original waterpump doings but the tensioner is going to be the most grief, might not make it, might have to use an electrical setup not sure yet.

i think youl find the engine moves alot more than that wen cornering,,im not putting the work down ,it looks pro and good work,but that looks to be a little problem to me,,just my opinion

suppose, see wht you mean. But the mounts are solid and the suspension hardly travels at the front so it should be ok. i'll let you say "i told you so" if it starts shearing belts!!! :)

RIK said:
those pulleys look abit close mate.but looking good,can see alot of work gone into it

infact imo ther too close,wen the engines running it mite rub and make awfull sound

and we both know what that awful sound is like....

and it is awful!! mine still catches!

JK

where abouts in Birmingham are you from Batch? wouldn't mind coming and having a look at this when it's done!

Towards Solihull way, more than welcome when it's finished. Same goes for all, though i'll be heading to meets fairly often i think.

Where abouts do you hail from Jim? Wouldn't happen to be solihull too would it? might have an incling who you are if you do

Batch said:
Towards Solihull way, more than welcome when it's finished. Same goes for all, though i'll be heading to meets fairly often i think.

Where abouts do you hail from Jim? Wouldn't happen to be solihull too would it? might have an incling who you are if you do

I'm near Halesowen mate, M5/J3 area. Haven't been to Solihull for quite a while though so I doubt you know me!

Probly not then, was just a passing thought. As i said though more than welcome to pop down any time.

Popped down to see it on Saturday and everything is looking good, the guy has got it sparking and igniting from the battery but because the wiring isn’t complete it won’t tick over.

We have then encountered a problem…..(not unforeseen mind!)

I am in need of a sparky, an automotive electrician with exceptional ability! :D

Job Description:

To pretty much build a loom from scratch, or to successfully splice a pulsar loom with the primera GT loom to enable the turbo work to be continued at a later date.

Requirements:

Candidates must be experienced in automotive electronics (i.e. constructing relays, routing wiring, testing etc etc)
Candidates must be enthusiastic and determined
Must be willing to travel to Birmingham on weekends to assist in the project! :)

The problem is (as was highlighted to me at the beginning of the work) that my guy is not an electrician really, he's more of an engineer, he can do wiring but something of this complexity needs more of an experienced touch, i can wire but again i'm not a wizard with the soldering iron unfortunately. He did tell me this at the beginning but we weren't sure how tough it would be to get round the NATS system and the key coded stuff!

Anyone with any suggestions?

i have a 2 letter word! ED although getting him to concentrate for more than 10 mins at the job in had is your problem! lol

Not if you're bald, or don't wash what hair you've got.

Thanks Umar, i'll add you tonight and chat to you if you're on.

Titch, engine was from a P11 Primera GT...i believe 97?

For a start dont bother splicing a gtir loom on, what is the point? Stick to the origional loom with all the origional sensors. Then fit an e-manage for the turbo conversion.

Nats is a transponder system. If you have the ECU, and you have the keyfob with the transponder in it, and you have the transponder reciever, there can be no problems. Its not magic! Everyone keeps going on about NATS being so hard to break, if you had all the bits from the car it came from in the first place there will be no problems.

I cant belive i missed this thread - and on my doorstep too! ( I live between shirley and acocks green) gotta read the k10 section more!

Looks like its gonna be amazing - I wanna see this when its finished!

BBB

Ed said:
Nats is a transponder system. If you have the ECU, and you have the keyfob with the transponder in it, and you have the transponder reciever, there can be no problems. Its not magic! Everyone keeps going on about NATS being so hard to break, if you had all the bits from the car it came from in the first place there will be no problems.

thats true ed but if your trying to remove it, you'll find thats is not worth the effort

Ed said:

but when you havent its a complete PIG to get around!!

id go stand alone with any engine conversion i do in the future.. simply for ease of fiting and the possibilities

ok i have heard so many different versions of this now, i've had people telling me it's easy/hard, use P10 loom, use P11 loom, use gTi-r loom. does anyone actually know how to get around it? Can anyone wire round it for me....i'll pay to get this sorted?

Currently i have a full P11 loom with ecu and the NATS problem, can anyone actually help? the guy who's doing my conversion isn't an electrician which is the biggest probem.

in theory, if i could get the loom, transponder reader and ignition barrel out of the same primera GT i could just leave the transponder chip in the car and everything will work, regardless of whether the entire loom is or isn't completely wired in?

Batch said:
in theory, if i could get the loom, transponder reader and ignition barrel out of the same primera GT i could just leave the transponder chip in the car and everything will work, regardless of whether the entire loom is or isn't completely wired in?

You need the pickup around the ignition barrel, the ecu and the key + related wiring. You can then tape the key to the transponder and put this all with the ecu, it doesnt need to be installed. Nats will then be disabled.

Just wondering what you'll be doing about insurance?...is there special companies who deal with this kind of thing?

the nats on the sr20 ecu can be removed on certain models, with some alterations to the board itself, and the code, if you have nats any piggy-back system will work fine, as the piggy-back has nothing to do with the basic ecu operations, it just alters the signals.

or eds method with the fob would also work, as would re-coding of keys, nats isn't the pain everyone thinks it is.

lifeonaplate said:
Just wondering what you'll be doing about insurance?...is there special companies who deal with this kind of thing?

Adrian Flux insurance as with a few other companies will insure engine conversions.

I had a quote from them for the 2.0 K11 which was very good considering the modifications

Kev

right this is something i do no about if your wanting to disable the nat take it to a dealer and get them to plug consult into it. i've done this a couple of times for people who lose their keys and dont want to spend money for new transponder. a nissan dealer if there friendly enough will do this for you. i work in the 1 in northern ireland and i promise it is possible

micra_pete said:
the nats on the sr20 ecu can be removed on certain models, with some alterations to the board itself, and the code, if you have nats any piggy-back system will work fine, as the piggy-back has nothing to do with the basic ecu operations, it just alters the signals.

or eds method with the fob would also work, as would re-coding of keys, nats isn't the pain everyone thinks it is.

had a chat with hadyn from octane boost about this the other night. on his S14a the nats was on a seperate loom. however i believe its in the main loom on P10's and N15's......

Hi Guys,glad my lump is doing the micra crew proud :)
i have the NATS stick if thats any help chris,let me know if you need it and i will post it to you,if not, tell me to shut the phook up LOL :)

Glad the lump is going to a good cause,nice to see after the wreck it was in wink wink :)

you`ll have to give us bhp figures once she`s rolling and work out the weight to bhp/torque your getting :)
excuse me for woffling,beer and Utd winning for once has got me all weary...........hik hik barf chunks.......

:)

xxxxxxxxx

Hey fella,

Saha too, he's pretty good off the bench :)

What exactly does it do, does it switch off the NATS? Please god tell me it switches off the NATS.

Any way you could send it up to me? e-mail me if you have to, cheers mate

nats

Chris make sure that if your going to use NATS get the Dongle off the Primera or it wont work. The Immu is the part around the ignition barel. There is a coded chip in side the key. The immu reads this and amplifies the readings to the ECM via the dongle unit then back to the Immu again. Yours is prob Nats V3 which is the old setup. Quite easy mate really to get round. Also there is a way of bridging something which disables Nats I cant remember what it is tho lol. Cant you just make up your own loom? Eccs just needs a 12 volt feed that remains whilst cranking. I can provide you with the wiring diagrams if you wish. Your in luck Im a Nissan Hiteq for Middlehurst Motorsport lol
Call if you need more help

07708 265 136

Ben

Ed may I just mention this fixation you have for Emanage. Its absoute rubbish what you talk. Why not fit a GTIR loom? Then he can use Power FC, dont even try to say Emanage is more sophisticated than Power FC because you now it, I know it and every Skyline owner in the world knows it. I work with engine management every day im at the top of my game Ed and I find that unhelpful, biased unfounded comments like this dont help.
For your information if any of you are not aware of this fact the SR20 DE ECM multiplug terminal layout is identical to the GTIR except for the extra MAP sensor pin and boost sol valve pins which you can easily graft in your self should you only have the DE loom (by pinching a spare pin and sufficient wire length from another donor sr20 engined car) as the space for map sensor on say a Primera will just be an empty socket. You can butcher the donor loom to get the pin out initially and then it will simply lock into place. Just follow the GT"IR wiring diagfram pin outs and remember to view from the correct side (harness or terminal side).

Thought as I do this sort of thing most days at work that I would share my knowledge with you all.
hope this helps

gartracs2, I am honoured that you go to so much trouble to try and discredit me. As an employer I would be really proud to have staff like you. Well done!

I have never said power FC is better than an e-manage - clearly it is not, but it IS as close as you will get (e-man ultimate). I have fitted and mapped both - many times now. So I do know what I am talking about.

I'm puzzled why you think a SAFC 2 is BETTER than an e-manage?! re: http://www.micra.org.uk/showpost.php?p=64266&postcount=6 How can 12 two dimentional load points of airflow ajustment vs 256 three dimentional on the e-manage be better? (airflow ajustment mapping is a poor idea anyway as it alters the ignition, which you cannot even map with SAFC 2, and again the e-manage has 256 load points for this and the rest...
I built and mapped a pulsar with 480 bhp and e-manage blue two years ago. It maintained the tractability of a stock pulsar. This is simply WAY WAY beyond what any SAFC 2 could ever dream of, yes power FC would do it, but at 3x the cost. With E-manage ultimate, even the rev limiter can be removed and dual maps for different fuels and launch control and mapped water injection (or nos) and loads more......
You say you have heard so many problems with the e-manage - so have I, and in EVERY case one has ever come to me its gone away working as it should have been in the first place. People simply dont know how to use them - it sounds to me like you never have either - but of course your going to say otherwise.

Nice to see you reminded us all again your a hiteq. Do you want us to all bow in your presence? I'm surprised you didn't again mention your 10years+ of experience like you seem to in so many other posts. One would think you have an insecurity problem as you spend so much time trying to prove yourself and insult others, as can be seen here: http://www.micra.org.uk/search.php?do=finduser&u=1539

Have a nice day now.

Back