• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Progress Report on Chris Batch's 2.0 SR20DE conversion

hey dude hows the car goin any progress??whats ur email address cant catch u on this website all the time,hve some question about micra man k10 headlight do u know wot headlight have he used?
cheers

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
What about a raffle?

I'm not sure what the Admin on here would think about it but it's possible, if i notify the local Authorities it's all legal?

I could sell tickets for £50 and depending on how many were sold there would be a percentage chance of winning the Micra?

Anyone could easily make more than £1000 by breaking it?

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
One and a half.

You can make more than that if you break it (which i seriously hope you wouldn't). I think you could get it 100% road worthy for £500 if you do the work yourself.

Don't forget that's including the kit, wheels etc etc etc everything.

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
The raffle thing always is a good idea, however you probably wouldn't get enough participants. I wouldn't see a problem with it being done, as long as the draw was done correctly, such as in public at JAE etc.

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
I have no space to finish or store it, like Ed. I'd love to finish it, it's so fast it's funny but the space plus the fact i've just bought a Type-r means i don't have the cash either.

If i could find somewhere nearby that i could store it for cheap i'd put it away for a few years until i had a bit more cash lying around...however inevitably i'll buy a house in a year or two so i'll be broke again till i'm maybe 28 then i don't think i'd be interested in driving it anyway!

All of the hard (expensive) work is done...i'd like it to stay in the club because i think when it's finished i'd like to come down to the meets myself and see it go in all of it's glory...but no-one seems interested.

I can see why as it's an un-finished project but if anyone else considdered doing it (the conversion that is) it would cost about £4000 to get the engine in and all of the fabrication done (unless you could do it yourself.....not a pleasant job i'd imagine!).

There isn't an sr20det i know of in a K10...it's 1 of a kind, plus with the custom kit it would be a magazine feature without a doubt. Plus it would smoke pretty much anything in a straight line, if the chassis was strengthened and coil-overs were put on the back (which i have already!!) it would corner superbly too!

It just needs a chance for someone to finish it...i really don't think i have it in me to break it...but if it comes to it i'll have no choice.

hey dude,type R nice..i hve some questions for u,ma k10 engine blewoff,gearbox is suck aswell so im thinkin of transplanting a ga16ds (yes ds carburator)cuse its easier so tht i dont have to worry about ecu and other electrical stuff,so what do you think of the engine or should i get a diffrent choice and like what?wots need 2be changed,i need little help form you experience wise+ my shock absorber arent gd at all i even bought brand new one and they are the same,can do sth about it like primera ones?wots your email so tht i can send u sme pic of ma car,i have new golf mk4 headlight on.reply asp mine is [email protected]

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
A 1.6 with motorbike carbs would be a good!

As for experience, unfortunately i didn't fit this engine myself so i'm not your man. I'd imagine a few mounts will have to be changed as i seem to remember the driver's side mount doesn't need modifying, can't be sure though. Shafts will have to be made. I'd recommend pulsar calipers and hubs at the front to allow bigger brakes if you need them (which you will). I'd go for some kind of engine management (mapped ignition etc) otherwise you're running on hope basically that the engine will just cope. Suspension you could maybe get away, with but i think the ga16 blocks are quite heavy so some uprated springs/dampers up front would be a good idea.

Golf mk2 rear coilovers fit without much modification (i believe) so i'd look into that too.

upgraded springs/dampers like from which car,pulsar,primera,golf? and which motorcycle carb?and would havin it would give the car more power?hw much?
thanx dude

hey dude anyhelp?considered of what i asked you ,can you be more specific in the parts i need like from wot car ?

wots mapped ignition is it MSD ignition?

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
Upgraded Suspension can be bought from numerous Companies, LEDA in the UK for example make a coilover kit for the K10, otherwise Monroe Dampers and new or lowering springs to add strength.

You could use pretty much any motorbike carbs, however maybe some from a CBR600 Honda, think Ed on here used those himself.

Mapped ignition, bike carbs, maybe new manifold and exhaust might give 30-40 bhp if you really lucky. Not sure what the stock bhp on the ga16ds but i should imagine you'll then be at 130bhp is, which would be pretty fast for a K10.

Mapped ignition would be Greddy e-manage or something similar.

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
Hey all, been a while.

Curtis, i've been thinking about this for some time now...i'm going to inject some more cash in to it over the next 6 months i think so fingers crossed the ball will start rolling again.

We moved it from one "secure location" to another lol, it drove then after sitting for nearly 2 years....it's never really been THAT far away from being complete, i just want to make sure that the running gear is safe before getting it on the road.

Rest assured when it's going again i'll become more active on the MSC.

I'll keep everyone posted.

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
Alright guys.

Well i spoke to my cousin this weekend about the beast and he's indicated that he's going to start having a go at it in around 4 weeks or so...as soon as summer starts.

Either way if he doesn't have a pop at it i'm going to trailer it to weston performance in Solihull as they've indicated that they would like to take a look.

However they may want to start over with a new chassis....to be honest i woudn't flat refuse that idea...but it would cost more.

I'll keep you guys posted.

OP
OP
Batch

Batch

Ex. Club Member
Lol.....

Just saw that my last post was Feb 09.....we're now in to 2010.....beginning to feel like i'm never going to get this done (as i'm sure you all are too).

Just posted in the wanted section, need the front corner setup for a K10 and K11, once i get these i can get the ball rolling on this again. Think i'm going to change the Pulsar/Primera/Almera/Micra setup at the hubs for just a plain Micra setup!!!

That should make things a little easier to get moving, should be rolling then...then it's just a case of a bit of wiring and at least i'll have a complete car to work on!

Need to have a chat mate, about to jump both feet first into SR20DE conversion myself. "BUT" would like some heads up about the biggest hurdles if possible.

About to buy an SR20DE Almera GTI engine and running gear for the project.

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
Lol.....

Just saw that my last post was Feb 09.....we're now in to 2010.....beginning to feel like i'm never going to get this done (as i'm sure you all are too).

Just posted in the wanted section, need the front corner setup for a K10 and K11, once i get these i can get the ball rolling on this again. Think i'm going to change the Pulsar/Primera/Almera/Micra setup at the hubs for just a plain Micra setup!!!

That should make things a little easier to get moving, should be rolling then...then it's just a case of a bit of wiring and at least i'll have a complete car to work on!

whats the issues with the running gear fella?

suspension is sorted i thought!

use the k11 hubs, then you can use the fto calipers/clio discs setup or even just the gti discs/calipers.
mine runs fine with these on and stops well enough

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
I think its mainly the driveshafts that are the biggest set back as they have to be custom made.

Unfortunately this project has come to an end due to Chris's daily (I think) having engine problems :(