Problems with window seals

3 weeks ago I got a new Micra K13 DIG-S Automatic, this week was the first time i have been out in the rain, but when I wound down the side front windows to clear the rain off I noticed the rubber seal is not touching the outside of the windows on the way down or up!

Apart from lack of visibility I am worried that moisture off the windows will drip water down into the interior of the door.

I am going to mention it to the dealer in the hope they can do something, but before I talk to them I’m trying to find out if it’s a general design fault or if I’m just unlucky.

I need to know if anyone else has this problem or not, either way please let me know, thanks :)

If yes how did you fix it?

I should be picking mine up next week and will check to mke sure mine re ok, if not, back to nissan it'll go...

Good luck.
fee x

Hi Fee

Would be good to hear if yours are ok, mine is going back to dealer next week as they have to replace one of the side skirts that wasn't fitted properly, they are also going to look at the windows then.

ST x

My delivery has been delayed, dont know when i will get it.. Grrrrr..... but dont you worry, i will be sure to check..
It rains constantly in glasgow so if there are an issues with water ingress. I'll find it

Fee x

Sorry. meant also to ask... is your bonnet aligned properly? saw 2 micras recently and bonnet was totally squint on both..

Have you noticed?

Hiya

Not long got my K13 and can also confirm that my window seals dont touch my window either and visibility is poor if it rains as I cant clear window. Pretty annoying. Car going into garage Friday for faulty immobilser so will mention it then!!!

Fee x

Update: car went in and issue appears to be with the design... Its common in the k13s apparantly.. Not classed as a fault or a warranty issue apparantly. just one of these things that we have to put up with...

I am contacting NCS to ensure this gets logged to prevent any further issues in the future. Cant see how this can be right..

Fee x

the dropglass lower seals are,nt designed to be watertight on any car tho eh (thats why there are drainholes in the bottom of car doors)
we used to prise the rubber out and forcibly tilt the edge of the doorskin for more or less contact :)

I have a new K13. And yes, the external seal does't touch the glass when the window is open.

It's on purpose. And smart.
Why:

After owning many a used car, I can tell you that with time, the windows get scratched. The dust on the window accumulates on the felt that covers the inside (part that touches the window) of the rubber seals.
Dust is very abrasive as it has particles of quartz, that are harder than glass. In time, the seals act like sandpaper and make fine, annoying scratches on the window.

Nissan took this into account and designed the window mechanism so that the seal doesn't touch the window once its opened even a bit. This way, the window doesn't get scratched!

As for water entering the door? Like frank said, it designed that way. In any case, and in any car, if you open your window all the way, it looses all contact with the seal and water can enter.

As for visibility and clearing rain from the window, ummm yeah, tough :) Keep a squeegee in the car. Can't have it all...

Back