Problems with remote locking.........

Hi everyone,

my Mum has a 1998 1.3 16v 3 door Micra. Up until recently the car has been pretty good. This was before the remote locking decided to throw a fit and stop working. After being told that it would cost the best part of 80 quid for a new fob from the dealer, I found one on ebay for 13 quid all in (Same frequency etc)

After it was delivered, I set about trying to pair the remote to my Mum's car, but with no luck. These are the intructions that the seller on ebay sent to me:

NISSAN Micra Key Remote Control Programming

The Central Door locking is controlled by the Multi-Remote Control system which controls the door locking, door super locking and hazard reminder. When the doors are locked and unlocked the unit flashes the hazard lights once for lock and twice for unlock.

A maximum of four remote controls are allowed to be programmed.

Ensure all the doors have been unlocked, either by using a good transponder key or remote control plip key.

1. Turn the ignition switch from Position 0 to ON 6 times within 10 seconds.

2. Then turn ignition switch to OFF position. Leave key in ignition switch.

3. After 2 seconds, the system will enter programming mode and will flash the warning lights twice.

4. Press and HOLD the unlock button on the Plip.

5. While pressing the unlock button, press the lock button 3 times.

6. Release the unlock button.

7. The warning lights will flash once to indicate successful programming.

8. Repeat procedure 4 to 7 for up to 4 plip key’s.

9. When completed turn ignition ON, and the warning lights will flash 2 times.

10. Remove key, and check all plip key’s for operation.

Now, I have tried this about twenty times, with both remotes (old and new) and had no joy in getting them working. Is there something else I could look at that might have stop functioning? (Is there a "reciever" in the car that could have failed?)

Many thanks in advance : )

It sounds like a game! Have you got a local nissan dealer near you?

Pop in there, be friendly and show them the instructions, the may advise it's correct/not correct etc

Good luck mate, stupid question but I take it you tried changing the fob battery?

Also check the fuse for the central locking etc

Could be car related rather than fob?

If you sit in the car and lock drivers door manually do all doors lock?

It sounds like a game! Have you got a local nissan dealer near you?

Pop in there, be friendly and show them the instructions, the may advise it's correct/not correct etc

Good luck mate, stupid question but I take it you tried changing the fob battery?

Also check the fuse for the central locking etc

Could be car related rather than fob?

If you sit in the car and lock drivers door manually do all doors lock?

Thanks for the reply. I've changed the batteries in both fobs. And if I sit in the car and lock the drivers door, all of the others lock as well.

I did check the fuses, but couldn't find one that was labelled for the C/L/.

Could it be that the receiver for the remote locking has packed up instead? Is it possible to get a replacement?

Thanks for the reply. I've changed the batteries in both fobs. And if I sit in the car and lock the drivers door, all of the others lock as well.

I did check the fuses, but couldn't find one that was labelled for the C/L/.

Could it be that the receiver for the remote locking has packed up instead? Is it possible to get a replacement?

There a few things that could be wrong...I had issues with mine also but got it all sorted in the end.

1. you need to check the actuators(see if there are any signals being sent on the plug when locking/unlocking
2. There should be control module box under the steering for the locks(has 2 plugs) unplug this and leave it for a minute then replug. This refreshes the codes I've read or resets it "or Whatever" fwn
3. You need to check that both the remote unit and control module are clicking when you press the key, if not then head to engine bay where you will find a fuse for "power windows" i think :wasntme: check if its blown.

There some other things you can try, but if you get stuck give me a PM and ill see if I can help.
:eek: and dont go Nissan unless its a last resort they couldnt even figure out what mine was so done it myself.

Oh and another thing I discovered ages ago on mine was that the cabin light or fuse for it was blown then the central locking stopped working, I replaced it and this fixed it until I had other issues

There a few things that could be wrong...I had issues with mine also but got it all sorted in the end.

1. you need to check the actuators(see if there are any signals being sent on the plug when locking/unlocking
2. There should be control module box under the steering for the locks(has 2 plugs) unplug this and leave it for a minute then replug. This refreshes the codes I've read or resets it "or Whatever" fwn
3. You need to check that both the remote unit and control module are clicking when you press the key, if not then head to engine bay where you will find a fuse for "power windows" i think :wasntme: check if its blown.

There some other things you can try, but if you get stuck give me a PM and ill see if I can help.
:eek: and dont go Nissan unless its a last resort they couldnt even figure out what mine was so done it myself.

Oh and another thing I discovered ages ago on mine was that the cabin light or fuse for it was blown then the central locking stopped working, I replaced it and this fixed it until I had other issues

Cheers for all the tips, my friend. I'll give these a go when I see my Mum again on Monday : )

EDIT: Is the control unit a small black box with two "molex" (PC power connectors) looking connectors that go into it?

Cheers for all the tips, my friend. I'll give these a go when I see my Mum again on Monday : )

EDIT: Is the control unit a small black box with two "molex" (PC power connectors) looking connectors that go into it?

no worries (Y) hope it works out ok

the box is fairly small, slightly smaller than a video cassette and has two inputs, 1 large plug and a smaller 1 next to it.

no worries (Y) hope it works out ok

the box is fairly small, slightly smaller than a video cassette and has two inputs, 1 large plug and a smaller 1 next to it.

That sounds like the one I found that was under the dash on the drivers side. I did unplug it, but not for very long. Should I do both plugs at the same time?

Sorry to double post, but I thought I'd give an update. I have looked at the fuses, all seem ok. I removed both plugs from the "control box" but still no luck. The bloke I bought the fob from on ebay, sent me a new way of pairing the fob to the car, but this didn't work, either. I'm at a loss. Any other ideas? (Other than taking it to Nissan.......)

Any car audio shop should be able to check the fault and point you in right direction mate :).

Alarms and central locking are a pain in ze bum!!

Any car audio shop should be able to check the fault and point you in right direction mate :).

Alarms and central locking are a pain in ze bum!!

Cheers. I've found out there's a car audio installer just round the corner from my Mum's work place. I'll get her to pop it in there (Y)

Jumping in

Hi,

Sorry for re-earthing this old forum, but I have the same problem, and have tried everything above.

The reason why I reply is because my doors did go crazy first, opening and locking automatically whilst in the car and driving.

I was wondering if you could help as it's driving me crazy as I can no longer use either fob I have.

Cheers :)

Jamie

Sorry for bringing up this reaaaally old post, but I am too without remote locking. I have never had it working. I have programmed the keys and everything. Did anyone manage to resolve the problem?

Sorry for bringing up this reaaaally old post, but I am too without remote locking. I have never had it working. I have programmed the keys and everything. Did anyone manage to resolve the problem?
Do you mean you programmed them yourself? If you want to program new fobs for the central locking, then you have to have unlocked the car with a working one first. This sets the correct code that will then be sent to the new fob.

Just seeing if anyone has been successful sorting this prob.......I have similar; in that the car locks okay but opens only after 6 attempts ...not 5 or 7 always 6. I've tried the reprogramming procedure but although its worked in the past I don't get the
"After 2 seconds, the system will enter programming mode and will flash the warning lights twice".
At least I'm getting something though its a bit of a pain....Any help would be appreciated.

Hi everyone,

my Mum has a 1998 1.3 16v 3 door Micra. Up until recently the car has been pretty good. This was before the remote locking decided to throw a fit and stop working. After being told that it would cost the best part of 80 quid for a new fob from the dealer, I found one on ebay for 13 quid all in (Same frequency etc)

After it was delivered, I set about trying to pair the remote to my Mum's car, but with no luck. These are the intructions that the seller on ebay sent to me:

NISSAN Micra Key Remote Control Programming

The Central Door locking is controlled by the Multi-Remote Control system which controls the door locking, door super locking and hazard reminder. When the doors are locked and unlocked the unit flashes the hazard lights once for lock and twice for unlock.

A maximum of four remote controls are allowed to be programmed.

Ensure all the doors have been unlocked, either by using a good transponder key or remote control plip key.

1. Turn the ignition switch from Position 0 to ON 6 times within 10 seconds.

2. Then turn ignition switch to OFF position. Leave key in ignition switch.

3. After 2 seconds, the system will enter programming mode and will flash the warning lights twice.

4. Press and HOLD the unlock button on the Plip.

5. While pressing the unlock button, press the lock button 3 times.

6. Release the unlock button.

7. The warning lights will flash once to indicate successful programming.

8. Repeat procedure 4 to 7 for up to 4 plip key’s.

9. When completed turn ignition ON, and the warning lights will flash 2 times.

10. Remove key, and check all plip key’s for operation.

Now, I have tried this about twenty times, with both remotes (old and new) and had no joy in getting them working. Is there something else I could look at that might have stop functioning? (Is there a "reciever" in the car that could have failed?)

Many thanks in advance : )

I tried this loads of times and it turned out that I was carrying out step 5 too slowly. If you hold the unlock button and then press the lock button three times, quickly, then release the unlock button it should work.

It's not the most reliable method unfortunately, but it does work albeit not every time. I always separate the keyfobs so I can leave the ignition key with the transponder chip in whilst I mess with the central locking part of the key. It just makes it easier than faffing round the steering wheel.
Also I always make sure that I lock and unlock the car manually with the key before starting the procedure.
Persevere and it'll work eventually. Do make sure though that your battery is OK and the buttons work properly.

Back