problems after servicing

Hi again,

I recently renewed a few things in my Colette, I changed the air, oil and fuel filters, HT leads, spark plugs NGK BPR5ES, same as what was in there before) and the oil itself.

However, since doing this starting the car has needed a bit more encouragement on the gas pedal and the engine bay smells smoky at the end of a journey... This is quite frustrating seeing as you'd expect better starting and operation after doing this...

I can't think what the problem might be apart from something like cross-threaded spark plugs, incorrect gap (despite using feelers gauges to set between 0.8-0.9mm. I dont have a socket set to hand where I am now so how might cross-threaded plugs sound/feel? All the fluid levels are ok and the HT leads are on tight.
Any thoughts?

H

you should feel if you cross thread something. you shouldn't have to put barely any force on it if u do then its probably not right.

Yeah you should take the plugs out and see how they look. You can usually diagnose a few things from there appearance.

Stupid question now, but did you put the oil drain plug back in before filling it back up with oil!

oil plug is fine.

Dont have any way of taking plugs out where I am now!

The plugs were quite tough to get in by hand anyway. What would cross-threading actually do to the car?

would wreck the threads making it quite hard to get the old ones out, and you would need to re tap the head to get the new ones in.
Have you spilt a bit oil (burning smell)
And another silly question but did you put the plug leads right tight on and in the right firing order?

Daz

OK good point. The spark plugs were difficult to get in by hand but i think this was due to the age of the car and the gunk that had built up on the threads over the years more than anything. I will re-fit them though when I can.

As for the leads. I will double check but basically, I took one old one off, then put the new one that was the same length back on and repeated four times so the lengths matched.
Does anyone have a diagram of firing order so I can double check?

i have wiped around the sump plug with a cloth and there is no spill.

One last thing, It might just be me being tight but I think my petrol consumption has risen slightly. ######.

H

if the firing order was out then the car wouldn't start.....iirc

make sure the oil filter is hand tight, and then a bit more.

Fuel filter could be the problem, check that.

The smelling smoky could just be where you have dropped some oil on the exhuast mailfold.

***Check that the breather hose hasn't come off the air pan, as when you were changing the air filter this could have come off!!!***

Back