Problem with work

Layla

Deactivated Account
i work part time for an agency doing waitressing on a temp basis, basically they ring me up and i tell them whether or not i can work.

firstly, they rang me up about a month ago and told me they had found out i had a second job and sacked me on the spot. i later re-read my contract, rang them back saying it doesnt say anywhere in the contract that i cant have a second job, and they offered me my job back. now, since then, they havent paid me for any work, im now owed over £100, i know it doesnt sound much but i refused to take on any more contract work until they paid me. I rang the office this morning telling them i still havent recieved any payment, and the guy told me they had "misplaced" my time sheets, and I had to go round every place ive worked since i started and get them to sign new ones. so a) i have to waste my petrol going round every place ive worked where they probably wont remember one member of staff they had working for them for one night in the last six weeks, never mind how many hours i did for them.

But apart from that, i havent recieved one payslip, a p60 and as far as i can tell from my wages i am not paying tax or national insurance, for example, im getting paid £5.25 ph, and when they do eventually get round to paying me, im getting £21 for a four hour shift, which means im not getting any tax deducations, and im now above the tax band that requires me to pay national insurance and tax.

should i get out asap?

xLx

well they cant not pay you thats breaking the law, legally you have to be paid for the work that you do. i would ring the place's first and ask them if they do. if not take them to court.

and you only pay National insurance i think depends on what you earn does't it????

hope this helps.

I think you should start to keep a diary of where you've worked,when you worked there,how many hours etc,etc. Perhaps even copy/scan your timesheets before handing them in again.Sounds like more work for you but if this ever happens again you've already got all the info you need. :glance:
Hope you get it sorted anyway.Good luck! (Y)

yer thats good, i had to do that when my last work started underpaying me, it mite sound like a pain in the arse to do but it aint really.

rj007 said:
I think you should start to keep a diary of where you've worked,when you worked there,how many hours etc,etc. Perhaps even copy/scan your timesheets before handing them in again.Sounds like more work for you but if this ever happens again you've already got all the info you need. :glance:
Hope you get it sorted anyway.Good luck! (Y)

Excellent advice there, the agency may get paid by the company looking for temps and they will pay NI etc.
Your best bet would also be to exagerate how much you have worked as it will be their word against the places you worked at and they can hardly say "oh, we actually found your timesheets"

Does sound like a bit of a dodgy company though...

your a student, tax dodging, parasit on society anyway so you dont pay much NI or tax, i get taxed about £1 a month if that. Threaten them with legal action, they will son sort their selves out and tell them THEY should go and get your time sheets sorted as they'misplaced' them

:p, im so bored today i think ive responded to every possible post on every forum im a member on - christ i need a hobby

If they have missplaced ur time sheets, make them pay ur petrol money... always keep a copy of everything lol

having to jobs is a nightmare :( i get taxed about £80 a month... but im soon to get it all back after i sorted it out ;) can anyone do 80 x 12 :D lol what to buy :D

its not that we dont pay tax we have a threshold that if we go up to and over that amount we begin to pay normal rates, i think its about 6/7k n then after that u get proper tax,when i do overtime i get hit with it

I found out today that last month I got OVERPAID about £60...

But I don't work for them now... :glance:

Do they really expect me to put a cheque in the post for them now, they've asked for one... grr

Yes they do, it's not your money and they can prosecute for it.

Had something similar to this, where I was given money from the bank and had to give it back or face legal action grrrr. So annoying

Im not convinced I actually owe it to them yet. They paid me the wrong wage last month and didn't pay me at all for my last day of work!

Some investigation is required.

Back on topic (a bit), 2 jobs is annoying, I got incorrectly taxed for this a couple of years ago and spent ages trying to get it back lol!

First of all, find a new job :D Sounds like a dodgy company.

Second, write them a letter asking for full payment of your wages within a certain period (two weeks is usually enough) tell them in the letter that if you do not recieve money owed you will be filing for settlement with a small claims court. Make sure you keep a copy of the letter filed away somewhere. Oh, and write down everything you can remember about telephone conversations.

If they don't pay you in time, take em to small claims court, costs about £75 to lodge a case, but you can then claim for monies owed, expenses (the £75, plus petrol & wear on your vehicle for getting new timesheets, plus your time to register the case @ £10 ph) keep a recorded of all the time you spend doing it.

Small claims court is easy - you go in, you speak to the magistrate, tell em your a student, trying to put yourself through uni without causing too much of a financial burden on your family, etc. Show em any and all letters you have sent them, written details of phone calls, etc. Also mention the fact that they sacked you for having a second job then rehired you when you pointed out the fact that they're in the wrong to do so.

You could probably argue an attempt at constructive dismissal - they're mucking you about in an attempt to make you quit.

At the very least you should get all your money back, plus expenses, and if you flutter your eyes at the magistrate enough you usually get a nice chunk of cash awarded too.

Had to do this a few times with customers who refuse to pay after the works been done, you get to enjoy it after about the fifth claim :D

'Ope that 'elps.

i rang the citizens advice thing this morning, apparently i do pay tax because its a second job, sorry, should have explained that in the first place. i also pay national insurance as im over 18.
i have a diary of all my shifts already and the employees copy of the time sheet, which when i exlpained to the company was told that the employee copy of the time sheet is no good, it has to be the company copy. which considering its a three piece carbon sheets, a white copy goes to the office, i keep the pink one and the place where im working keeps the yellow one. So since tis a direct carbon copy of the one they have lost (my supervisor has admitted to have seen the timesheets, he just doesnt know where they are now) i dont see the problem

ive also rang round a few colleagues whom i worked with on the jobs i havent been paid for and they have all been paid :(

Back