Problem with radio in K11

Haylz

Ex. Club Member
Hi
A few days ago I fitted a cd player in my k11, bought a harness from halfords to connect it straight up and earthed to the chassis as instructed on this site. Radio works fine, except after the ignition has been switched off for more than 3 or 4 hrs approx (ie overnight) all the settings on the stereo go back to factory and it loses its presets. there is a security light flashes on it but when it has reset the security light is on permanent instead of flashing.

Obviously the unit is getting the permanent live connection otherwise the security light wouldn't flash.

My dad thinks it's probably a faulty head unit, what do you guys think?

My fiance's uncle who owns a garage double checked the wiring for me and said it's fine, he also said that shouldn't be the problem anyway cos I bought a connector from halfords to do it.

Thanks in advance people.
Haylz

OP
OP
Haylz

Haylz

Ex. Club Member
I thought that aswell, but if that was the case would the stereo not lose it's memory after the ignition had been switched off for say 10 minutes?

The memory always stays on unless the ignition has been off for hours!!

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
as far as i know, that could stil be the problem, like you have to leave the battery disconnected for a long time before the ECU resets.

OP
OP
Haylz

Haylz

Ex. Club Member
Even after the head unit has reset the memory tho, the red security light on it still flashes, so if this is flashing does that not mean that is is getting it's permanent live feed?

If the permanent and switched live were wrong way round would that not mean the red security light on it wouldn't flash?

sorry to be a pain folks

Haylz

OP
OP
Haylz

Haylz

Ex. Club Member
the red light seems to stay on and flash very occasionally after the car has been left for hours.

That's what made my dad think it may be a faulty head unit, I still have the receipt so may get it exchanged and see if the problem still occurs, if the problem occurs with a new head unit then I'll check out the live feeds.

OP
OP
Haylz

Haylz

Ex. Club Member
Sorry to be a pain about this guys.

I tried swapping the permanent live and switched live over, when I did this the radio lost it's presets straight away and the red security light on the head unit didn't come on at all so the problem isn't the lives.

Any other ideas?

Like I said, with the lives the original way round, it loses it's memory after the car's been off for a few hours, but once it's lost it's memory the red security on it seems to be on permanent instead of flashing like it should be.

This has got me and my dad both baffled! fwn

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Take it back to wherever you got it and explain the issue. They may just exchange it for another one and that could be the solution to your problem. It may even be possible the ISO adapter thing is wrong

OP
OP
Haylz

Haylz

Ex. Club Member
It's earthed to the chassis at the bottom of where the centre console is on the passenger side. Underneath the plastic trim at the bottom.

Do you think I should re-earth it elsewhere?

OP
OP
Haylz

Haylz

Ex. Club Member
problem solved,

cheap and nasty head unit. grr

I took it back and got a refund, I then went and got an alpine head unit which is compatible with my ipod and the problem is no longer there.

Thanks for trying to help me out guys.

Haylz