Preventing Paint Peel?

Paint is starting to peel off the tailgate of my silver 2001 K11.

I know this is a common problem, but I'm wondering is there any PREVENTATIVE measures you can take, to stop it happening in the first place?

I'm planning to try and source a clean "unpeeled" tailgate from the scrappers and switch it over, as I'm sure that will work out cheaper than having it resprayed.

Polish

Automotive polish, applied twice yearly, will smooth the surfaces & improve its flexibility to expand & contract without cracking/peeling, as the sheet steel continuously flexes with its temperature changes.

Dark colours are more likely to crack or peel due to its greater surface temperature changes than those on light bright more reflective colours such as white.

Damn, I wish I'd put more polish on it - too late now for the tailgate, but I'm going to get lots on the rest of the car.

How much do you reckon for a tailgate respray?

I was thinking if I can pick up an unpeeled tailgate cheap - and then sell my peeled one to somebody who is planning a full respray anyway, so doesn't care about the paint - it'll effectively cost next to nothing, if I can swap it over myself.

Swapping the door is just 4 bolts I think, but the electrics is the problem.

It's not the lacquer though - it's the entire paint layer.

It's only done 38K and paint/bodywork is otherwise mint, so worth a bit of effort to sort it if possible, without spending a fortune obviously.

If it was a bashed up old banger I wouldn't care myself

Interestingly, I have a W reg K11 donor car, that is black paint (supposedly the worst) and parked for several years in a spot exposed to blazing sun - paint is perfect!

I wonder if paint problems are worse on 2001 and 2002 models?

Maybe some of the earliest 2nd facelift models (W and X reg) didn't get the garbage water based paint jobs?

Avoid Pressure Washers & Car Wash Services Prevents Paint Peel.

When I was a young electrical electronics controls service engineer for a nationalised water board, we had nearly new white vans & customer facing, were expected to keep them clean & presentable.

With youthful over exuberance, I used the companies on site car wash pressure washers weekly & eventually noticed a strip of topcoat peel off under the pressure wash so called cleaning water jet on the six month old van.

I never used a pressure washer again on any vehicle in the last 40 years.

Never used one myself either, so that didn't cause my peeling. Just a rubbish Nissan paint job.

Going forward I'm going to keep a good amount of wax or sealant on at all times, plus make sure it isn't left in red hot direct sun for prolonged periods (reflective silver car cover I'm thinking, as I don't have a shady area to park at home).

Hopefully that will prevent it happening again.

Quality of the paint is the biggest factor in how long the paint will last, Nissan in the 90's were using very good paint

Other than that, get on top of small issues when you notice them, wash and wax to help keep contaminants from bonding to the surface, as well as washing mud/dirt off quickly as mud will hold moisture against the surface. The thickness of the paint and clearcoat can be measured with electronic devices (or magnets) and this can be helpful for knowing how much longer the paint will last before a respray or a new clearcoat top is needed

A wrap is also an option now. Sand back the rusted bits into the good paint make sure it's dry and free of dust, spray it as best you can with a rattlecan and get it wrapped. The vinyl keeps the water out pretty good and is a good option on an older car

Yes, thought about a wrap - considered all the options.

On balance, I think sourcing a clean, replacement tailgate and swapping it over will be the easiest and cheapest option. I don't care if I drive around with a peeling tailgate for the next 12 months or more, while I wait for a nice silver one to turn up.

If I gave a damn about impressing people, I wouldn't be driving a 19 year old Micra!

Microscopic damage to the paint/lacquer surfaces leading to peeling may have been caused by previous owners lack of care using local “hand car wash services” , that I have frequently seen them using pressure washers manually by hand on most cars.

My K11 is in its twenty third year on 46K & just keeps on going & passing straight through MOTs with no problems/advisories & no paint peeling. Thats good enough for me.

Happy K11 days. ;)

Back