Preparing for welding

As some of you nice people may have noticed I have just found a couple of areas of my K11 that require a little attention from a welder.:( Now, me being cheap I will probably be undertaking this myself :rolleyes: so my question is, as it will be mig welding, what precautions do I need to undertake to protect the electrical circuits/ecu etc? Thanks in advance, Ade ;)

agreed with mrcheese. i welded on my old vectra without the battery disconnected. nothing actually went wrong, but its definitely a risk i wont be taking again, especially for so little extra effort.

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Might be worth having a fire extinguisher on standby as well. It's easy for paint on the back of the weld to ignite with the temperatures involved :).

Jay101

Black&Yellow
Prep is essential. Don't wanna catch your carpets on fire. So I'd take them up and just leave a gap in between metal a d carpet.

Have an easy access point if a fire does occur. Ie leave a door or window open. Like Guy said have a fire extinguisher or watering can ready. :)

OP
OP
MicrAde
Thanks for your replies everybody, all good, sound advice :D This job has been put on hold until the weather improves somewhat :rolleyes: The area that is being welded will be stripped of combustible material and I do have a fire extinguisher :) My main concern was whether the welding current would do any damage to electrical circuits or ecu. Thanks y'all :D