Power steering removal

Hi all, this spring I want to bin the complete power steering cubbins, question is, do I just need to get a manual steering rack and nothing else, or, do I need to get a different steering column aswell? 2000 facelift by the way....cheers all.

pollyp

Club Member
when I was swapping parts from my 98 SLX with PAS to a 94 SLX non-PAS, the 94 non-PAS had a smaller steering cv joint and both column shafts compared to a thicker PAS steering on the 98.

829e.jpg
830.jpg

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/#post-381114

so as well as swapping the rack, joint and column and removing the PAS hydraulics, the steering lock on the column would also be affected (so the inconvenience of carrying separate cabin & IGN keys) unless you can also remove n swap the lock barrel between models.

pollyp

Club Member
or if you just want a heavy steering, fit a non-pas water belt & tensioner so the pas pump ain't driven so no more assistance

OP
OP
mazza
Should have looked at the bible eh pollyp! Want to bin the power steering for less weight and less drain on the engine....so blanking it off sounds like a less expensive and easy way of doing it...

h701micra

Deactivated Account
blanking the pipes will cause it to hydrolock surely ? and draining the fluid will lack lubrication ?
I filled mine up
Turned it lock to lock to let excess out then blanked it :)

Could incorporate a breather system like the gearbox ? :/

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
No quick rack in mine, just a standard PAS set-up, was fitted a few years back. Wouldn't go back even with the power losses....

You could just keep the power steering rack & blank off the hydraulic ends. Would be a "quick" rack as well as they are faster lock to lock than a manual

Hi mate. I saw someone "looping" the open tubes after removing reservoir and pump in its entirety from an old integra. I understand in principle this would work too on my micra? Positively hate power steering and want it gone.

BUT, i did read somewhere that the result is steering rack bearings being destroyed by the lack of fluid. How true is this for the k11? would I need to leave a small volume of fluid in and then seal it off?

First post, great community you guys have here, its helping me so much.

EDIT: just read on the page, sorry was being blind.

Hi mate. I saw someone "looping" the open tubes after removing reservoir and pump in its entirety from an old integra. I understand in principle this would work too on my micra? Positively hate power steering and want it gone.

BUT, i did read somewhere that the result is steering rack bearings being destroyed by the lack of fluid. How true is this for the k11? would I need to leave a small volume of fluid in and then seal it off?

First post, great community you guys have here, its helping me so much.

EDIT: just read on the page, sorry was being blind.

No worries, and welcome :)

I wouldnt have been able to give a 100% answer as i swapped my PS rack out for the manual one.

I have to admit the PS would come in handy some times!