Power steering pump help

Hello I have a Nissan Micra S 2000 1.0l automatic and when I turn full lock it squeals, when I bought the car the advisory was ‘Power steering pipe(s) or hose(s) has slight seepage from a joint near pump (2.3.3b)’ Which is slight, there’s nothing on the floor and I got the car last April and the bottle is still full. A couple of people have said the pas pump is on its way out. My dad looked under bonnet as it was running and I turned full lock and he said the belt runs slower when I do it but it doesn’t squeal all the time. And he said it feels slack.

Is it that the belt just needs tightening or do I need a new pump? Although how is it tightened? I’ve found a few other threads about this and the confusion as to there being no tensioner and mine doesn’t seem to have one as it’s a 1.0l it seems they don’t have them?

Also in looking just incase, I’m getting prices like £265 o_O this I can’t afford. I browsed eBay and there’s a few used for £30 odd, but it says the car they’ve been taken off is a manual, does this matter?

Any ideas please? I’m a woman that knows nothing about cars lol! My dad knows a little but has said he doesn’t think he can change the pump or belt as it’s seems so hard to get to.

Thankyou :)

Quote: “Micra S 2000 1.0l automatic and when I turn full lock it squeals, when I bought the car the advisory was ‘Power steering pipe(s) or hose(s) has slight seepage from a joint near pump (2.3.3b)’ which is slight”

If it does not squeal in normal driving and parking then its ok for such an old car.

Squeal noise is the PAS protesting as its being overloaded by abuse against its over travel full lock stops that also probably caused the “slight leak” Wipe the seepage off with a rag, monitor it and slightly back off to avoid full lock each time. That’s the least cost practical option and is how I would deal with it.

The next MOT on 17 year old car may show up many far more important issues to worry about in due course.

Good luck. ;)

Last edited: