Power Steering heavy, not sure if it's faulty 160sr

Hey everyone, I know it's been done to death but I thought I'd ask on here before paying someone £££s to replace/diagnose/repair....

I'm picking up a 2006 Micra 1.6 160sr tomorrow - it's only done 66,000 miles and has full service history, but when I test drove the car the power steering was very heavy. It weirdly felt more heavy when driving, but when parked going from lock-to-lock seem ok(ish), there was no groan from the power steering system. A quick google and I read about that they have an EPS motor on the column rather than a PAS hydraulic pump on the steering rack. If it was just a groaning/tired PAS pump I could probably replace that myself, but this EPS motor thing is above my skill level to replace.

I am wondering if the steering is just supposed to be heavy on the 160sr? I've done a lot of searches on here and someone said that from 2006 onwards Nissan had more or less solved all the problems with the EPS motor and generally speaking from 2006 onwards there are less problems, so maybe I am just imagining this heavy steering?

Or maybe this is the first stage of the EPS motor failing = more and more heavy steering and then eventually the PS warning light comes on....

I have read different things about getting the EPS motor replaced = some say you can fit a remanufactured/refurbished motor and then get the ECU reset to fix everything. But others say you can only replace it with a brand new motor direct from NISSAN?

I spotted these guys on eBay (about 20mins from me) who sell the 'Remanufactured' TRW motors for £325 with a 18month warranty and can fit the motor for an extra fee, has anyone used them at all?

I managed to haggle the garage down a few quid because I pointed out the steering was heavy (also the suspension seemed to have quite a lot of body roll/a bit bouncy?).

Appreciate your help - I know it's been asked before but I don't want this 'cheap' car to turn into a money pit.

Thanks in advance,

- Guy

Hey everyone, I know it's been done to death but I thought I'd ask on here before paying someone £££s to replace/diagnose/repair....

I'm picking up a 2006 Micra 1.6 160sr tomorrow - it's only done 66,000 miles and has full service history, but when I test drove the car the power steering was very heavy. It weirdly felt more heavy when driving, but when parked going from lock-to-lock seem ok(ish), there was no groan from the power steering system. A quick google and I read about that they have an EPS motor on the column rather than a PAS hydraulic pump on the steering rack. If it was just a groaning/tired PAS pump I could probably replace that myself, but this EPS motor thing is above my skill level to replace.

I am wondering if the steering is just supposed to be heavy on the 160sr? I've done a lot of searches on here and someone said that from 2006 onwards Nissan had more or less solved all the problems with the EPS motor and generally speaking from 2006 onwards there are less problems, so maybe I am just imagining this heavy steering?

Or maybe this is the first stage of the EPS motor failing = more and more heavy steering and then eventually the PS warning light comes on....

I have read different things about getting the EPS motor replaced = some say you can fit a remanufactured/refurbished motor and then get the ECU reset to fix everything. But others say you can only replace it with a brand new motor direct from NISSAN?

I spotted these guys on eBay (about 20mins from me) who sell the 'Remanufactured' TRW motors for £325 with a 18month warranty and can fit the motor for an extra fee, has anyone used them at all?

I managed to haggle the garage down a few quid because I pointed out the steering was heavy (also the suspension seemed to have quite a lot of body roll/a bit bouncy?).

Appreciate your help - I know it's been asked before but I don't want this 'cheap' car to turn into a money pit.

Thanks in advance,

- Guy
Hi, did you get a resolution to this? I've just bought a micra that has heavy steering, but it doesn't feel so heavy that the power steering has totally failed... thanks

Hi Jason, 1st post, so please forgive any errors. Same story for me I think, bought 2006 1.2 for kids to learn to drive and two errors - engine management light for which I have changed out the O2 sensors and reset but light returns - garage says engine O2 all good, sensors doing their job, so ignore! And dreaded PS light and loss of power steering. Had reset once and worked great for about 6 months, but now back on and although reset PS, will not return. Garage says battery is faulty, but its only 2 weeks old, so not sure about that! When the ignition is turned on the PS works for a few seconds, then if the throttle is dipped the PS goes off. This may be coincidental? Anyways, running out of options, we are near Durham, but could drive to birmingham? Would be grateful for any help. D

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Hey. Of course happy to help. Clearing faults do not fix the problem. The system has detected a system error and flags up an issue. Don’t understand why people think that clearing a fault with your steering and think this is ok, let’s break this down;

the electronic system has said you have a steering fault and instead of allowing it to continue to function it switches it off

people clear the fault and think, oh I can now drive and I’m safe!!!

if I said to you drive a car but the steering is faulty would you???

but anyway, rant over, yes happy to have a look if you want.
Jason

Hey. Of course happy to help. Clearing faults do not fix the problem. The system has detected a system error and flags up an issue. Don’t understand why people think that clearing a fault with your steering and think this is ok, let’s break this down;

the electronic system has said you have a steering fault and instead of allowing it to continue to function it switches it off

people clear the fault and think, oh I can now drive and I’m safe!!!

if I said to you drive a car but the steering is faulty would you???

but anyway, rant over, yes happy to have a look if you want.
Jason
Hi Jason
Thanks - that's great and no worries about the rant. How do we sort this?

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
We can have a look at it to 100% identify it’s an eps issue, and then go from there.

I’ll private message you with my address if you fancy a trip to brim?