Power steering gone

The missus has just driven our K12 from Glasgow back to London. Just as she reached our road the power steering went and a PS warning light showed on the dash. Obviously I'll have to take the car to the local garage, any ideas on what the problem might be and what sort of garage bill to expect?

OP
OP
P
Further to what I just posted about power steering problem, I went out to the car to see for myself. Turned on the ignition, PS warning light came on, then disappeared, power steering seemed to be working again! Any thoughts or experiences of this please?

OP
OP
P
Hi huttojb. Am London based. The fault happened while the missus was driving back home to London after a visit to Glasgow, she had been driving for about 10 hours. I used the car today - the PS warning light came on when I turned the ignition key halfway, then disappeared as I turned it all the way to start the engine. Power steering worked fine. The car's booked in at a local garage for it's annual service and MOt test on Friday. I've mentioned the fault to the guys at the garage who said something about it possibly being a temporary glitch that has righted itself, I've asked them to check it for me.

Hi Guys Chris here i am new to the forum, my daughters K12 developed the same fault have not been able to clear it remove batery leads overnight still no luck so i think its tanked, if i get a second hand unit can i just swop them out as i have read some threads re needing it coded to ecu and re calibrated, i can do the Mech work ok but have no idea re recoding or calibrating, and advice would be appreciated

Cheers Mate appreciate the help, is there anything I need to watch out for when removing the steering column, I am also going to try and contact ECU.com to see if they will refurb my unit rather than put in a second hand one as I could end up with the same problem next week or next month