Post-service thoughts

It's been exactly 6 months since my last service so today I changed the fuel filter, relocated my 57i, changed the plugs and I'm just waiting on some new crush washers before whacking in some Castrol GTX and giving it a new oil filter

She's been running pretty rough lately, using up more petrol than usual, bit of a lumpy idle sometimes and the last few hot days we've had the fan's been running itself ragged after switching off, also the plugs I took out were pretty damn sooty.

My assumption is it's been struggling with airflow as it's had 6 months of bolt on k&n which gets red hot, I also tend to run the fuel down to nothing. Last service I had nice brown plugs and was getting much better economy/smoother idle etc., could there be an underlying or developing problem? It certainly feels better for the changes but wondered what you guys thought about it?

Cheers in advance :)

you got facelift?
you can get a $20 diagnostic reader
as 2 sec pin touch works with my 97 k11 fine but not sure bout facelift

thanks for the link! im sure mine is the obd2, it's 16 pin iirc. Seems a lot of people have this sort of issue, it's knowing whether it's a sensor on it's way out, the TB or MAF. Feel like i've been taunting fate tho running that k&n bolt on for as long as i did! Will have to try disconnecting the MAF. Is there any way to reset it? I remember if you disconnected it on my old focus it would do its thing and learn lol

anyone know where i can get Bosch fr 8 D+X plugs from? Can't seem to find them?

EDIT: skanked the last 4 off ebay, as well as an obdII fault finder, which handily will work on dads car too! Will keep this posted with findings

Used my OBDII scanner today and came up with no codes, so that was a relief, fitted Bosch fr8dcx plugs (the 1 day old NGKs were already sooted up) and it's idling a treat. Not really had chance to take it for a proper drive around yet. Also, the slight chain rattle I had on warm up has completely been cured by the Castrol oil, so worth bearing this in mind if anyone is having similar problems.

Back