possible turbo build..

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,

I'm swaying towards wanting to turbo my car.. But I want to know roughly how much it would cost from start to finish with everything I need to do it?

I wouldn't want to go to mad with power but I would still want it to be unsuspectingly quick.. not sure what a reasonable figure would be maybe 140bhp or something?

Anyway I want you guys to sway me towards it and just convince me its a good idea?

I can see your 19, without sounding condescending the first thing you should do is ring your insurance company. I was thinking of doing an SR20 swap a while back. Did a load of research, sourced parts and was pretty much good to go. Rung my insurance and even with 2 years no claims they wanted £4500 for a years cover.

there are so many threads that those people who want to do turbo on their micras. you will need to find more information first. you will need to think properly and take seriously. turbo is ain't fun you know.

a decent turbo is about £1500 with mapping too

I reckon about £1000 if you get a good cheap turbo(£100), modify the stock manifold(£20) new oil feed and return(£60), boost gauge(£20), small universal intercooler(£80), a pipe kit (£80) maf and filter (£50) injectors and a diy rail (£80) nistune and mapping (£300-400) exhaust (£200)

But your also best to upgrade the brakes too
Increased insurance and running costs

All approx prices

Ahh youve a coilpack? Injectors you can pick up cheap from scrappies (straight fit) unsure about nistune and a maf sensor

I reckon about £1000 if you get a good cheap turbo(£100), modify the stock manifold(£20) new oil feed and return(£60), boost gauge(£20), small universal intercooler(£80), a pipe kit (£80) maf and filter (£50) injectors and a diy rail (£80) nistune and mapping (£300-400) exhaust (£200)

But your also best to upgrade the brakes too
Increased insurance and running costs

All approx prices

guessing also prob a big enough clutch that's reliable (least £150 for a helix paddle or £200-300 for a 200mm helix clutch),
high performance tyres least £30 per (else you be shredding cheap hard eco road rubber with that much torque and/or losing control from going too fast),
cooler plugs £7,
better fuel pump (£60+)
wideband kit £100+
cone filter £10+
recirc/BOV £5+
difficult to pass MOT emissions,
difficult to insure cos some will have a power gain limit especially if ur young,

when we're pushing everything so far beyond its original spec, the weakest part of the system will eventually break.

all these minor tiny costs will add up. so be aware it will certainly not be cheap nor easy to setup and maintain and run.

Ahh okay, Well its all this stuff that I wanted to know, If I was going to consider it, it would be next year but we shall see, Thanks for all your input :)

Back