• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Porks bike carbs and boost project

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357135935.203366.jpg

That went on a lot easier than I thought, few nibbles out the bracket and bumper will fit straight on.
Debating whether to get some facelift bumpers.....hmmm

Bought another set of carbs, repair kits were £15 each (need 4!)
So got another set, this time had long conversation with seller to make sure they ain't all cruded up.

View attachment 21567

That went on a lot easier than I thought, few nibbles out the bracket and bumper will fit straight on.
Debating whether to get some facelift bumpers.....hmmm

Bought another set of carbs, repair kits were £15 each (need 4!)
So got another set, this time had long conversation with seller to make sure they ain't all cruded up.
Facelift bumpers on a prefacelift look the the nuts.........not colour coded though! ;)

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
New set if carbs arrived today :)

So put on all the replacement push fit airline fittings and other crap, bolted them on got float bows full off fuel this was the first attempt off starting

Fired straight up :D

Plus, it works fine with jus the boost FPR without all the solenoid/pressure switch thingy I made, so happy days

It pops and bangs quite a lot though, why is this?

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
looks good matey, one thing tho, when its all up and running, get a wirebrush round the engine bay and paint lol

Haha defiantly!!

Plan is get it working now on driveway, run it about to work out kinks, then spend hotter months making it look pretty :D

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
BOV I ordered of t'bay didn't come, so money got refunded.
So poped up to sfs performance round the corner to pick up a 45 degree hose, and sold me a recirculating BOV for half the price they sell them for beings I look after there compressors.......it's shiny too ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357924611.266567.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357924620.424281.jpg

Hopefully get this all plumbed on over the weekend.

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Dunno yet lol. Low to start. Haven't really done anything to lower compression ratio, I'm hoping the larger 1.2 head iv fitted will drop it a bit. Haven't got the gizmo for testing yet

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Got this lot fitted today

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358089248.371528.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358089273.328832.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358089288.961694.jpg

I have a few issues though that I'm gunma need help with please.

1- To get it to start, I have to blow into the float bowl breather tubes (connected to pitot tube)

2- Once running, it won't idle and still pops and bangs a bit

3- the boost/vacuum gauge is very erratic, and when I give it throttle, it barely shows any boost.

I'm still waiting to get O2 sensor

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Cool project, but you should have perhaps got a figaro inlet manifold, and then mega-squirted it? Anyhow, those pops from the video above was due to a lean condition. Make sure if you get an 02 sensor its a wideband one. I'm sure you were going to anyway, but narrow band is a total waste of time.

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Cool project, but you should have perhaps got a figaro inlet manifold, and then mega-squirted it? Anyhow, those pops from the video above was due to a lean condition. Make sure if you get an 02 sensor its a wideband one. I'm sure you were going to anyway, but narrow band is a total waste of time.

Yep, defiantly getting the wideband.

Would the lean mixture be the reason behind why I have to blow into float bowls to get it to start?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Yep, defiantly getting the wideband.

Would the lean mixture be the reason behind why I have to blow into float bowls to get it to start?

Possibly. I always found those carbs really temperamental on the K10 when I first tried this. You've ended up with really quite a complex system there where there is much to go wrong so its a bit hard to say.

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Possibly. I always found those carbs really temperamental on the K10 when I first tried this. You've ended up with really quite a complex system there where there is much to go wrong so its a bit hard to say.

Haha, great!! I done this coz I thought it was simple, and learn few things along the way.
Last k10 had cbr carbs and ran sweet!

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Last piece of the turbo puzzle arrived today

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358273295.670873.jpg

Oil scavanger pump, came from America, and got stung on customs charge :(
Pump itself was only £97

Bit larger than I thought tho!!! I put a £1 coin in pic for comparison.

Jus gunna feed oil return into dipstick hole, tempory measure until I can move car about to get it off my ridiculous sloping driveway.

Gunna take carbs of, again, done bit of reading, couple of things I need to do to idle mixture, need d-shape tool, but il get round this with trusty dremmel and cut some slots in fir a flat head.

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
It's close to running! Need to sort idling issue first.

Then there's gunna be a lot of messing about setting up/balancing things.

Then brakes, suspension, wheels............aren't cars great! :D

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Had carbs off, using trusty dremmel, slotted stupid d-head thing so I could adjust idle mixture

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358530293.844214.jpg

Had a look at old carbs, and they has these on......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358530333.009175.jpg

So swapped them over so it's gunna be a lot easier to set up

Good job I check ed to as the needles on one of the screws was snapped and missing!

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Made this today, drip accumulator for bottom of turbo.

This was return pipe that came with turbo:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358783071.980869.jpg

Added this compression fitting that was laying about:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358783105.690186.jpg

Had old bit of exhaust and sheet too:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358783144.706906.jpg

Stick it together

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358783168.173626.jpg

The finished product.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358783196.540623.jpg

Manufacturer of scavanger pump says it can suck up oil From 1 foot above turbo.

You'll be surprised how cramp its getting in the engine bay now :-/

May have to relocate battery to the boot at this rate

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Knocked up a quick bracket for scavenger pump,

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358856515.734797.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358856528.141773.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358856543.458291.jpg

Now jus need to find a good space to weld bracket to the car

frank

Club Member
you could rear mount the turbo now you have a scavenge pump neil (hide the tubby in the boot :) )
and i doubt you will need a vent, maybe a (ballbearing turbo) type restricter in the feed line, or electronic speed controller ?

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
That would be cool!

You don't think a breather is needed? Iv asked I'm another forum, and some say yes. :)

frank

Club Member
i think a breather will aerate the oil personally mate, you may have to drop the voltage on the pump so that it can just about empty the catchcan @ full rpm,
i dont think you want any "suction" in the turbo exit fitting

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
This jus arrived

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358862360.626046.jpg

Jus need air/fuel gauge and then il make a pod for all 3 gauges and switches for fuel pump and scavenge pump