• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Porks bike carbs and boost project

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Tried drilling out the studs myself today.................what an absolute b***tard job it was!

Bit messy as I only had cordless hand drills!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351595172.628142.jpg

Then..........
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351595190.284712.jpg

C**T!!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351595228.557537.jpg

All sorted in the end though, thank god!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351595258.324580.jpg

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
More nightmares today!!

Snapped one off the plastic breather pipe elbows,

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351620262.905253.jpg

tried super glue, but it's now going to be pressurised, so no good

So...

Cut a thread
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351620280.915911.jpg

Tapped part of some compression fittings laying round the workshop
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351620303.390587.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351620347.059517.jpg

Fitted 10 mm swivel push-fits

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351620379.749227.jpg

Much nicer fit, so really pleased :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351620414.485594.jpg

Also made a blanking plate for mechanical fuel pump

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351620456.485889.jpg

Getting close now!! Getting paid tomorrow so gunna order all outstanding gaskets, head bolts (don't trust old ones) fuel pump....... and whatever else that I can't think off right now

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Well.......f**k

Gunna have to make new exhaust manifold after all :(

Jus to many other problems to get round if I don't make one, so looks like I won't be able to test anything till next year now which really sucks coz I really didn't want to spend more money on this without knowing whether its gunma work or not.

Oh well, at least I get to play with my welder again :)

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Well.......f**k

Gunna have to make new exhaust manifold after all :(

Jus to many other problems to get round if I don't make one, so looks like I won't be able to test anything till next year now which really sucks coz I really didn't want to spend more money on this without knowing whether its gunma work or not.

Oh well, at least I get to play with my welder again :)
example of why you need to mate? make a new mani

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
So sorted problems now with to much pressure overpowering the regulator

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354628566.057993.jpg

Jus gotta hook up low pressure pump to swirl pot.

Having to change plenum a bit to so it actually fits in engine bay. Gotta wait for some more money before I can finish it off
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354628904.069743.jpg

God dam Xmas presents! Don't people realise I've got an engine to build ;)

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
I here ya! Although I can tell you spec'ing up engine components before you buy presents doesn't win you popularity though :rolleyes:

Haha!
Well I did my best to buy all presents last month, so my Xmas bonus goes on last few bits........but isn't to be as I'm rubbish at hiding stuff from the mrs, so it's going on hotel and night out for NYE in London

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Made up some brackets and fitted, getting snug in there now!

Also found my old mechanical pump so all good! Jus hope its man enough to supply swirl pot

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354647861.220064.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354647882.687053.jpg

Hate winter time, I literally get an hour to do stuff to the car in the evening :(

Oh we'll. nearly there......again

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Can't work on car coz its freezing outside
So done some work on plenum to make it fit

Plenum 3.0

Added 45 degree elbow
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354897237.933644.jpg

Changed inlet to centre of the pipe, plus larger diameter

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354897292.840981.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354897306.190794.jpg

Now it fits!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354897343.657779.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354897390.875182.jpg

AH.K10

K10/K11
Is that a K10 rad? Looks good so far! whats going on the port of the plenum chamber near the fuel pump? can't wait to see it running!!

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Is that a K10 rad? Looks good so far! whats going on the port of the plenum chamber near the fuel pump? can't wait to see it running!!

It's a primera radiator,
The tube on right is where boost pipe was gunna come in. Now changed it to centre, so gonna use the old tube to put a BOV on :)

AH.K10

K10/K11
It looks a good size. I always wondered if you would gain anything from venting a BOV back into the system after the airfilter before the turbo instead of just venting it? Maybe make the turbo work less? i have no idea what it would do to be honest.

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member

She's alive!!!

Had to take off ekectric pump and jus use mechanical pump for now, still overpowering the regulator.
Gunna have to buy a better one :(

But it starts, it really didn't want to. Had to borrow this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355494715.239958.jpg

As I kept draining the micras tiny battery getting it to start

Started lashing it down now so can't do much more.

So glad that it at least starts, so I can drive it other road to my shop and do some welding on it, like exhaust!!

:) :)

superls

K10 Tuner
i made a very crude regulator, which works the same way as the stock mechanical fuel pump built in one but it was adjustable,
basically imagine a tee piece that is orientated like a tee
the left hand pipe is the feed from the pump, the bottom pipe is the return to the tank,
now the right hand pipe put a valve there then onto the carbs, open it right up should give you some pressure, gradually close it and the pressure at the carbs will drop, as the fuel will take the least line of resistance, which is back to the tank, fairly straight forward and fairly accurate

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
The thing is I need to have a rising regulator to get the turbo to work with the bike carbs, as the boost pressure increases, the fuel pressure has to rise otherwise it can't enter float chambers, this is why I have to have an electric pump capable off higher fuel pressure
This regulators base pressure is 3-5 psi, even with the spring off, it's between 1-2 psi, which is still to high

superls

K10 Tuner
i think your going to struggle matey, hence why turbo carbs are built differently to normal ones, you will end up putting the carbs in a sealed box and charging the box

superls

K10 Tuner
you could make my type of regulator the rising type by putting a vacuum (or boost) operating valve in the return to tank then when the boost rises so will the fule pressure, but im not convinced it will work as the carbs arent made for positive pressure only negative

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
you could make my type of regulator the rising type by putting a vacuum (or boost) operating valve in the return to tank then when the boost rises so will the fule pressure, but im not convinced it will work as the carbs arent made for positive pressure only negative

I've got a boost referenced reg already, jus doesn't go lie enough with the base psi,the one I need is a mallory 4309 reg, as used on other set ups like mine. Jus exslensive

superls

K10 Tuner
yeah ive seen it, but what a few people do what ive seen is, build a completely sealed box and put the carbs and everything into it, not just a plenum, that way all of the carbs is under the same pressure that way you dont get any leakage in the carbs, you will still need a really low boost controlled regulator tho

to lower your reg, make the same type reg as mine and put it between your reg and the carbs, thus you get a really low pressure that is boost rising.

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
The plenum im making basically is like putting the carbs in a box, all vents from float bowls and diagrams
will be plumbed into the plenum.

All iv done is seen something cool on the Internet, and thought, "hey, il give that a go"
It'll probably have a lot of issues, but it has been done by other people, so why not, I'm teaching myself quite a bit as I go, most of help comes from this place :)

frank

Club Member
you could do what we do on our karts neil, we use a pulse pump to lift the petrol from the centre tank (between your legs), and that lifts it about 1 ft,
but the pulse pumps tend to overpower the float valve and flood/piddle out the carb.
so we just fit a return pipe to the tank (with a #70 jet for a flow restrictor) :)

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
What I'd be nervous about tho, us with the plenum attached, I don't want the carbs be ing over powered and fuel trickling out, pooling inside the plenum !

Potential big-bada-boom! :D

frank

Club Member
What I'd be nervous about tho, us with the plenum attached, I don't want the carbs be ing over powered and fuel trickling out, pooling inside the plenum !

Potential big-bada-boom! :D
yeh, thats why we fitted the return, to stop the pressure building up

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Another thing that I was gunna ask you frank, as you can probably here on my video, it's rather loud, I wanna hook up exhaust but I haven't finished the return line to the sump yet from turbo, would I be ok to fit the turbo and exhaust, but without the turbine/compressor inside?

My workshop is only up the road, but neighbours don't like me as it is, what with parts of cars thrown about the place.

As you can tell sounds like a tank

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
aye, i ran mine with a blanking plate where the core went for a couple of days neil :)

So I can just plug all the holes where oil lines would be and take out the shaft

That's gunna help loads, can't do any welding where car is now!