• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

2019-12-18 Widen Scissor Jack

The oem scissor jack no longer fits my new rebuilt thicker sill so I'll have to mod it wider

View attachment 66579

chopped a 30mm section out

View attachment 66581

and welded a new 30mm wide groove to match the new sills

View attachment 66580View attachment 66582View attachment 66583

fits like a glove :cool:

View attachment 66584
I do love the attention to detail of your build!

Most people would just accept that the normal jack no longer worked....

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

“Quote; Most people would just accept that the normal jack no longer worked”.

Perhaps most people have better & more important priorities in their lives to be getting on with more like? :cool:

Perhaps most people have better & more important priorities in their lives to be getting on with more like? :cool:
It's a pretty simple mod, I'd guess it took not much longer than if you went out and bought a new jack, you have to think of doing it first though.
I think Paul might have a higher 'I can fix it threshold' than most before giving up and opening thier wallet. The world would likely be a better place if more people did the same.

It's a pretty simple mod, I'd guess it took not much longer than if you went out and bought a new jack, you have to think of doing it first though.
I think Paul might have a higher 'I can fix it threshold' than most before giving up and opening thier wallet. The world would likely be a better place if more people did the same.

Agree that.

Commercial awareness determines that two/three month’s salary in an average career will buy a nearly new vehicle & avoid wasting valuable spare time fixing it for a decade or more.

Life is too short?

Commercial awareness determines that two/three month’s salary in an average career will buy a nearly new vehicle & avoid wasting valuable spare time fixing it for a decade or more.

Life is too short?

Yeah you right plmval but the relationship with these little cars is more than just an economic and practical equation. Based on numbers and logic you right but I think we all enjoy the challenge some don't we?

I've had cars that I definitely should have applied your logic to ... no doubt. But to take the cottage industry of keeping these little motors going in the style Pollyp does and some of us try to do, is great fun. I sort of consider it a hobby if you like.

If time is genuinely so short then yes another view might be in order. But the creativity and solutions (like this one) that come from this site are first class and I'd definitely miss them. It really does feel like the last car (maybe bar the 106) that we can all work on and sort with relative ease. And an angle grinder and MIG means they really can do a load more years yet.

In my case, I can (if really honest) afford a new car and indeed when the new XC90 came out, I came within 'that close' of buying one at outrageous money. I didn't, common sense came into play and the wife and I decided that is all we doing is going to Alsi, Sainsburys, dropping her at work, towing a few trailers to the skip and two or three trips down to Heathrow a year then it would be a real waste. But to keep a 25 year old car with 240k on the clock going is still fun (most of the time!!! :) ) .... a few more years and creaking joints the XC90 might look more attractive :)

Yeah you right plmval but the relationship with these little cars is more than just an economic and practical equation. Based on numbers and logic you right but I think we all enjoy the challenge some don't we?

I've had cars that I definitely should have applied your logic to ... no doubt. But to take the cottage industry of keeping these little motors going in the style Pollyp does and some of us try to do, is great fun. I sort of consider it a hobby if you like.

If time is genuinely so short then yes another view might be in order. But the creativity and solutions (like this one) that come from this site are first class and I'd definitely miss them. It really does feel like the last car (maybe bar the 106) that we can all work on and sort with relative ease. And an angle grinder and MIG means they really can do a load more years yet.

In my case, I can (if really honest) afford a new car and indeed when the new XC90 came out, I came within 'that close' of buying one at outrageous money. I didn't, common sense came into play and the wife and I decided that is all we doing is going to Alsi, Sainsburys, dropping her at work, towing a few trailers to the skip and two or three trips down to Heathrow a year then it would be a real waste. But to keep a 25 year old car with 240k on the clock going is still fun (most of the time!!! :) ) .... a few more years and creaking joints the XC90 might look more attractive :)

Bit off topic but on New Years eve, the wife and I are doing Lands End to John O Groats in our old Micra .... just for the hell of it. And tomorrow is car prep day.... duff side light, leak back on the driver floor, needs an oil change, noisey rear wiper etc etc ... all small stuff

Is weird but working on a car (or house or computer) can be a pain in the ass but on the Micra it's like play time! :) Why is that?

Now on my fifth Micra in 22years, a 1300cc 5-door 1998 after three K10s, each did 150 K with no problems.

Acquired my current K11 that was previously dry garage stored, a 1300cc 5-door 1999 on 34K with documented old MOTs & FSH invoices audit trail in 2016 when it was seventeen for £500. The smart trick was to bide my time & search for the “right one” above.

Now it’s on 45K, runs faultlessly with 100% reliability & passes straight through MOTs with no snags/advisories. That’s the only time it ever sees a workshop.

The only things I have needed to do is renew CV boots, plus one oil/filter change, inspect clean/lube the brakes & replace a 20 year old perished tyre. Doing the CV boots was a right struggle PITA, no pain no gain job that was anything but enjoyable? My strategy is cheap as chips bangernomics motoring via detail plan to avoid & minimise absolutely repair work liabilities.

I put petrol in the back, myself & the Mrs in the front & just drive the thing, out & about when the sun is out. That is, it serves me, not the other way round. May I suggest that the above strategy & detail plan is environmentally carbon footprint efficient, minimises valuable spare timewasting & is coincidentally cheap as chips as a bonus.

That’s good enough for me whilst avoiding snags & unnecessary work with a now 21 year old banger that has never needed welding?

Bit off topic but on New Years eve, the wife and I are doing Lands End to John O Groats in our old Micra .... just for the hell of it. And tomorrow is car prep day.... duff side light, leak back on the driver floor, needs an oil change, noisey rear wiper etc etc ... all small stuff

Is weird but working on a car (or house or computer) can be a pain in the ass but on the Micra it's like play time! :) Why is that?

Quote; “the wife and I are doing Lands End to John O Groats in our old Micra”

Sounds like an excuse for a grand tour of the UKs 50 plus Wetherspoons Hotels on the way?

Enjoy! (y)

“Quote; Most people would just accept that the normal jack no longer worked”.

Jeez man, each to their own.

All people are different, hence have different priorities.

What may look like a waste of time to one person, can be considered very interesting to another.

Your roadtrip from John O Groats to Lands End (which is pretty cool to you (and me lol)) may be considered a complete waste of time and money by other people. Like a complete workaholic would hate that idea, so each to their own, mate.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
thanks guys :)

modding the jack to suit my sills was needed incase of a puncture, it was really easy, quick, didn't cost much considering it's rarely used.

yup I often try to do stuff myself much as possible if I have the resource, skill & time to save cost. I only spend if the task is beyond me.

as for why spend time & money fixing/maintain an old car vs buy newer car?
everyone has different perspectives, priorities, values and situations towards cars.

I've invested & dedicated all my passion, R&D time, savings & emotional bond into creating & maintaining a tailored & refined Kassandra cos she's really enjoyable to drive, easy to work & develop on, compact, practical.
she's my project car, my hobby, my creative release, my loyal reliable friend, my chosen lifestyle ;)
we've gone soo far along this journey, it's too late to back out :p

newer cars just don't excite me, lack character, feedback, too expensive on my min wage, complicated, bulky, heavy, simply doesn't suit my needs.

have a grand adventure in ur micra through the UK ;)
I wish I could book holidays off work to have an overdue roadtrip like that.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-12-21 Vinyl wrap roof

spot welded more points of the double skin roof to stop it rattling

IMG_20191221_132655.jpg
IMG_20191221_142738.jpg

wirebrushed the previous paint off which didn't stick to the smooth unprepped new roof

IMG_20191221_145755.jpg

I couldn't be bothered with all the masking, mess & time of painting the whole roof, so I decided to try wrapping it in vinyl

IMG_20191221_150534.jpg

dealing with such a huge piece of sticky sheet for the 1st time and in the dark while preventing bubbles was alot harder than I thought

IMG_20191221_155807.jpg

one side went ok

IMG_20191221_160155.jpg

but the other side was much more challenging until disaster, it kept wrinkling ?
so I had to just cut and resmooth that section ?

IMG_20191221_163228.jpg
IMG_20191221_165230.jpg

this bit didn't stick

IMG_20191221_165243.jpg

first attempt didn't go 'smoothly' and I'm at the 'fookit that'll do' stage but I can always re-do it in the future ?

IMG_20191221_171356.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
didn't have enough foamy carpet underlay to refurbish the interior but I do have tons of rubber floor mats so I glued afew sheets onto the roof

IMG_20191222_135939.jpg
IMG_20191222_145143.jpg
IMG_20191222_145206.jpg

and finished off the welded floor

IMG_20191222_150306.jpg

she's all back together and after 4 months 1 week she's ready for her long overdue MOT tomorrow ?

IMG_20191222_162706.jpg
IMG_20191222_162727.jpg
IMG_20191222_162833.jpg

Jeez man, each to their own.

All people are different, hence have different priorities.

What may look like a waste of time to one person, can be considered very interesting to another.

Your roadtrip from John O Groats to Lands End (which is pretty cool to you (and me lol)) may be considered a complete waste of time and money by other people. Like a complete workaholic would hate that idea, so each to their own, mate.

Oh it is a waste in the purest terms but I'm hoping it turns out a laugh, an experience and a couple of nights in a posh hotel in Edinburgh into the bargain.

Mind it's a good old haul. We have to drop down from the bad lands of Shropshire to Land's End when she finishes work on the 31st at about 4.00 pm, then up in as close to one stretch at we can to John O groat's but then back to Edinburgh for a late booking at a restaurant there at 23.00 the next day! Is it achievable? Will let you know! :) .... I bought a 20ltr petrol can!!!! And one of those 'other special can's' ... ahem.

And actually it's a bit of a dry run for a longer trip down to visit friends who have a place near Alicante (spelt wrong?) and then on to Marrakesh and back up the other side home next year. We preping both the 106 and the Micra to do the trip e.g secondary charging system and better electrics, better cooling, cheap fridge etc. Not sure which one we will use yet.

That WAS what the XC90 was going to be for but what challenge would that be? Doing it in one of these old girls .... now THAT's a challenge. :)

And going back to PollyP's post (ahem) I have to confess I bought one of those electric jacks off ebay cheap for that trip!!! I feel a fraud now and obliged to get the MIG and scissor jack out and relist the elec one! ;)

2019-12-21 Vinyl wrap roof

spot welded more points of the double skin roof to stop it rattling

View attachment 66607View attachment 66608

wirebrushed the previous paint off which didn't stick to the smooth unprepped new roof

View attachment 66609

I couldn't be bothered with all the masking, mess & time of painting the whole roof, so I decided to try wrapping it in vinyl

View attachment 66610

dealing with such a huge piece of sticky sheet for the 1st time and in the dark while preventing bubbles was alot harder than I thought

View attachment 66611

one side went ok

View attachment 66612

but the other side was much more challenging until disaster, it kept wrinkling ?
so I had to just cut and resmooth that section ?

View attachment 66613View attachment 66614

this bit didn't stick

View attachment 66615

first attempt didn't go 'smoothly' and I'm at the 'fookit that'll do' stage but I can always re-do it in the future ?

View attachment 66616

In the nicest possible way, it's quite reassuring that not everything you do comes out OCR perfect :) I feel certain this will be off and perfect very shortly. Great great blog.

mht

If this were my road trip adventure, I would do it in the high summer when the evenings are long & more fun via a grand tour of the Wetherspoons hotels, as befits the economical old Micra image, on the way.

That’s when it’s overly hot & crowded to be swanning around holidaying in the Canary Islands or in the Mediterranean Spanish & Greek islands that we favour during the spring & again in the early autumn.

Quote; “Alicante (spelt wrong?) and then on to Marrakesh run”.

For summer in the Med/Marrakesh a good AC is essential & a white colour vehicle is favourite/bearable in the summer heat.

For us its “Boeing or I’m not going” & a suitable local hire car.

Never mind the expense, feel the quality after roughing it all year in my now 21 year old K11, that saves so much money that I don’t spend on cars, that finances the overage of holidays.

Happy days, happy K11 days & many more years to come with mine that’s for sure.

Enjoy the adventures, having fun, that’s more like what life is about.

Good luck :)

PollyP, wasted way too much of my day reading your entire blog! :) Some excellent fabrications, really inspiring and interesting stuff.

Can I ask you what welder you use and what fabrication kit (aside from the normal spanners, wrenches etc) do you use?

And do you do that sort of fabrication as the day job as well or self taught / hobby stuff? Just curious.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
In the nicest possible way, it's quite reassuring that not everything you do comes out OCR perfect :) I feel certain this will be off and perfect very shortly. Great great blog.

cheers. as a 1st attempt it does the job for now. ain't a show car so doesn't need to be perfect and I try my best until my generous patience runs out too :p
we get better with each attempt

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
PollyP, wasted way too much of my day reading your entire blog! :) Some excellent fabrications, really inspiring and interesting stuff.

Can I ask you what welder you use and what fabrication kit (aside from the normal spanners, wrenches etc) do you use?

And do you do that sort of fabrication as the day job as well or self taught / hobby stuff? Just curious.

lol tis a good light-reading material alongside the haynes & service manuals when on the WC (till the legs go numb or eyes sting) ?

welder is Clarke 135TE turbo MIG running a 13amp house plug

my garage fab tools include angle grinder, dremel, hacksaw, files, tin snips, right-angle, angle finder, marker pens, scribes, LED light, g-clamps, mole-grips, drills, lathe, sheet bender, chop saw, big vice & many more

I studied A-level, Bsc & MA in Product Design and my career began as a product designer, software designer and now delivery driver but it wasn't till I delved into restoring my 1st micra where my self-taught mechanical & fabrication skills really took off & built up my resource of tools extensively.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Good news, she's passed her MOT ??
few advisories like almost worn tyres, rusty hanbrake cables (rubbing against trailing arms), borderline emissions, etc
quite simple to fix

IMG_20191223_091232.jpg

speaking of tyres, I've ran the T1Rs for years now (discovering bout their very soft sidewalls, low temp compound and ages badly with more noise & lower CoF) and decided it's time to try a different daily rubber.

brought these Falkens ZE310 after seeing alot of +ve comments / reviews about them

IMG_20191223_200411.jpg
IMG_20191223_200453.jpg
IMG_20191223_201148.jpg

Falken tread uses polyamide whereas the Toyo uses Nylon

IMG_20191223_201204.jpg

same max load but supports a higher 51psi

IMG_20191223_201218.jpg

made in turkey while the Toyos were from malaysia & japan

IMG_20191223_201233.jpg

made in july 2019 (6 months old) whereas my prev T1Rs were made in may 2014 but purchased july 2015 (over 1 year older, maybe why it aged sooner)
there's no wear/traction/temp ratings on these?

IMG_20191223_201333.jpg

these are only slightly heavier at 7.9kg each v/s T1R 7.6kg
be nice to find what they're like once I wear/burn out these toyos ?

lol tis a good light-reading material alongside the haynes & service manuals when on the WC (till the legs go numb or eyes sting) ?

welder is Clarke 135TE turbo MIG running a 13amp house plug

my garage fab tools include angle grinder, dremel, hacksaw, files, tin snips, right-angle, angle finder, marker pens, scribes, LED light, g-clamps, mole-grips, drills, lathe, sheet bender, chop saw, big vice & many more

I studied A-level, Bsc & MA in Product Design and my career began as a product designer, software designer and now delivery driver but it wasn't till I delved into restoring my 1st micra where my self-taught mechanical & fabrication skills really took off & built up my resource of tools extensively.

Thanks for sharing pollyp. Is interesting. So in reality most of your kit is solid day to day workshop kit? With the exception of the lathe and chop saw? Is reassuring for the rest of us trying do fabrications and learning from your (and others) posts and work.

Keep up the good work. I honestly think the micra.org web site is one of the last good natured car webs sites were folks help and share in good spirit without making the novice feel like a total tit!

cheers. as a 1st attempt it does the job for now. ain't a show car so doesn't need to be perfect and I try my best until my generous patience runs out too :p
we get better with each attempt
Agree that. Just showing the Grandson how to drill holes and fit bolts to a PS4 driving seat fabrication we made up. Patience .... patience ... patience! :) But it is as you say, try, try it again and eventually voila!

@pollyp

I assumed vinyl wrapping was impossible to do well when I first tried as my attempt failed horribly...

Now, after wrapping little bits on my car and doing full liveries on friends cars it seems that buying "expensive / quality" vinyl makes a massive difference as I can wrap large panels with only a few blemishes!

If you give it another try and it turns out average again, try with some higher grade automotive stuff?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Thanks for sharing pollyp. Is interesting. So in reality most of your kit is solid day to day workshop kit? With the exception of the lathe and chop saw? Is reassuring for the rest of us trying do fabrications and learning from your (and others) posts and work.

Keep up the good work. I honestly think the micra.org web site is one of the last good natured car webs sites were folks help and share in good spirit without making the novice feel like a total tit!

yup just basic tools

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
@pollyp

I assumed vinyl wrapping was impossible to do well when I first tried as my attempt failed horribly...

Now, after wrapping little bits on my car and doing full liveries on friends cars it seems that buying "expensive / quality" vinyl makes a massive difference as I can wrap large panels with only a few blemishes!

If you give it another try and it turns out average again, try with some higher grade automotive stuff?

I jumped straight into the deep end by wrapping a huge & curved roof panel. it ain't impossible, just a different discipline that can be difficult at first.

started off well but I had the wrong technique/direction which made the sheet bunch up & crease. next time I'll do it on a warmer lighter day with extra helping hands :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
got myself this TopTech HPI1700 pressure washer for £50 from eurocarparts to see if it helps with washing

IMG_20191227_174341.jpg

a very simple centrifugal pump layout inside compared to my dads 25yr old heavier reciprocating type unit.
gotta relearn how to wash the car using this device compared to the garden sprayer I'm used to.

IMG_20191227_180600.jpg

made this key barrel light by wrapping an LED strip & tape around a translucent plastic ring which makes it much easier to find the key hole at night :cool:

IMG_20191229_010550.jpg
IMG_20191229_010835.jpg

Looks like the pressure washer is very much the same as the workzone one I have.
A very good one at that I was really pleased being my third one in a couple of years. The last two seemed to leek a lot and were harder to set up.
Quick release hoses ext are very smart design and save some time.
Snow foam at home is handy also only thing missing IMO is a connector that allows us to use on a mixer tap so can use warmer water I find that this helps a lot but have not tried with pressure washer yet.
They do have a maximum temp setting so would have to be careful not to exceed threshold.
Mine is blue and black and really wants a pair of eyes to finish it off. As it has a kind of robot type look to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Looks like the pressure washer is very much the same as the workzone one I have.
A very good one at that I was really pleased being my third one in a couple of years. The last two seemed to leek a lot and were harder to set up.
Quick release hoses ext are very smart design and save some time.
Snow foam at home is handy also only thing missing IMO is a connector that allows us to use on a mixer tap so can use warmer water I find that this helps a lot but have not tried with pressure washer yet.
They do have a maximum temp setting so would have to be careful not to exceed threshold.
Mine is blue and black and really wants a pair of eyes to finish it off. As it has a kind of robot type look to it.

a m8 says the provided nozzles are often rubbish so I'm thinking of getting a snowfoam gun & detergent but dunno if anything will fit this quick release? if not then I could always just modify one to fit.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
tried the pressure washer again with better results.

rinsed loose dirt/wetted with the jet 1st, hand washed with my microfiber mitten, jet rinsed & dried.

top surfaces still felt/sounded gritty, so I washed again using a meguiars clay bar mitten and wow it took out sooo much rust particles left behind from all that prev grinding. you can feel it go from rough noisy into smooth & quiet and the water was very rusty brown.

IMG_20191229_141700.jpg
IMG_20191229_141721.jpg

notice the resprayed front wings are a poor colour match and the laquer is very matte orange peeled :rolleyes:

I wet sanded the wings & bonnet with 1200 to flatten that damn orange peel and polished it all. it's restored the glossy shine now but really highlights all the orange peeled bits I missed on that wing and how much work is needed ?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-12-30 Enlarge Micra exhaust manifold

The standard manifold has quite a restrictive collector (left)
so I chopped it open to reveal a rectangular profile (middle)
I'll also be using this cone funnel from an old cat to smoothly attach the primary cat (right)

IMG_20191230_000353.jpg

difference between the rectangular manifold port and the 2.5" round funnel

IMG_20191230_000419.jpg

was thinking should I slice the manifold like this, angle it outwards and reweld to create a larger more "square" looking port for the round funnel?

IMG_20191230_000444.jpg
IMG_20191230_000455.jpg
IMG_20191230_000629.jpg

but that's alot of work so I rethought I could just shape the round funnel to form around the square manifold

IMG_20191230_004602.jpg
IMG_20191230_004636.jpg
IMG_20191230_004649.jpg

cut & rounded the manifold port to flow smoother into the funnel

IMG_20191230_193845.jpg

my MIG welds the thick steel at max setting really nicely ?

IMG_20191230_211331.jpg
IMG_20191230_211541.jpg
IMG_20191230_211630.jpg
IMG_20191230_211648.jpg
IMG_20191230_211833.jpg

welded the cat onto the new manifold

IMG_20191230_214820.jpg
IMG_20191230_214844.jpg
IMG_20191230_214947.jpg

angled so the downpipe clears the sump

IMG_20191230_215136.jpg

can see I chopped the pea shooter bottom hole off the cat so I can weld on a larger 2.25" downpipe to match the rest of the system and flow better

IMG_20191230_215154.jpg
IMG_20191230_215444.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
removed the standard downpipe & manifold

IMG_20191231_162044.jpg

realised I didn't have enough spare straight 2.25" pipes to make a new one ?
instead I decided to just mod the stainless 2.25" turbo downpipe to fit the new manifold (since the new turbo won't be fitted for awhile and will eventually need a new downpipe making anyway)

IMG_20191231_163737.jpg

welded the 90deg pipe bend & V-clamp onto the new manifold to neatly tuck under the sump

IMG_20191231_175801.jpg
IMG_20191231_180006.jpg
IMG_20191231_180110.jpg

and welded to the prev turbo downpipe

IMG_20191231_202617.jpg

welded the wideband bung onto the manifold collector

IMG_20191231_210658.jpg

all nicely reinstalled ahead of the new year :cool:

IMG_20191231_214001.jpg
IMG_20191231_214050.jpg

fire her up for a test drive.
sounds the same and little torque down below 3k as expected but once she revs above 5k that's when there's a noticeable increase in torque from the reduced restriction. she's quite nippy now, loves to be rev'd high & fun ??

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
new disc handbrake cables arrived to replace the old damaged rusty ones

IMG_20200101_132511.jpg

there was an annoying loose weld spatter rolling around within the roof during cornering, so I removed a section of the rubber lining to let it fall out

IMG_20200101_143212.jpg

stuck a sheet of vinyl sunstrip on the windscreen to block the blinding sun

IMG_20200101_150159.jpg

and stuck the only matching used rubber sheet back onto the roof

IMG_20200101_153750.jpg

went for a lovely little evening drive on new years :cool:

IMG_20200101_161816.jpg

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
Looking good there, remind me did you convert your track rod ends to spherical bearings? If so how did you work out which ones you needed? I tried looking through the blog but couldn't find that part.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Looking good there, remind me did you convert your track rod ends to spherical bearings? If so how did you work out which ones you needed? I tried looking through the blog but couldn't find that part.

yup used extended rose joint & corrected bumpsteer.

0 (7).jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2020-01-04 New Glovebox Lock

the old & simple printed lock was getting loose and I wanted to design it with a sprung latch

IMG_20200103_213155.jpg

many versions later I came with this idea of being able to push the glovebox closed and the springy metal bracket flexes over the latch and locks.

glove lock 16 1.jpg
glove lock 16 2.jpg
glove lock 16 3.jpg

when you turn the lock 45deg, governed by the trimmed lips which limits rotation, the head of the latch clears the bracket and allow the glovebox to open

glove lock 16 4.jpg

machined the new pieces. the handle is treaded to the shaft so I can adjust how snug it fits in the hole and locked in position with the middle socket screw

IMG_20200103_232326.jpg

IMG_20200104_012743.jpg
IMG_20200104_194051.jpg
IMG_20200104_194108.jpg

installed and yea it works but still needs more refinement next

IMG_20200104_010856.jpg
IMG_20200104_194315.jpg
IMG_20200104_010914.jpg

View attachment 66723

there was an annoying loose weld spatter rolling around within the roof during cornering, so I removed a section of the rubber lining to let it fall out

View attachment 66724

View attachment 66725

View attachment 66726

View attachment 66727

View attachment 66723

View attachment 66724

View attachment 66725

View attachment 66726

View attachment 66727

PollyP, hi there .... we also went for a little spin that same day ..... take a look at me post....

Like the ignition light mod by the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
went to a local meet on Jan 5th after a 6 month absence, good catch up with a few friends on a cold night :cool:

IMG_20200105_184459.jpg

steering wheel was rattling, narrowed it down to the soft airbag/horn spring shaken by the vibrations

IMG_20200106_200358.jpg

some rubber blocks solved that

IMG_20200106_212929.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
went to the car meet on Jan 8th with Luke who I helped turbocharge his Corrado.
and then Simon arrived in his silver R33 (who gave me his little GT15 turbo)

IMG_20200108_184538.jpg
IMG_20200108_192124.jpg

followed by Lawrences white supra turbo

IMG_20200108_185626.jpg

and Azzams 1JZ RX7

IMG_20200108_190953.jpg

and finally Craig in his lovely blue R33 turbo

IMG_20200108_192958.jpg
IMG_20200108_193048.jpg

it was such a good night ?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
changed the oil & filter, think I much prefer the halfords £7 HOF339W over the £3.50 comline CNS11216 filter I got from work cos it has larger flowing holes

IMG_20200111_173527.jpg

new EM938 metal exhaust manifold gaskets arrived to replace the old paper-like gasket

IMG_20200108_214614.jpg

further grinded the manifold smoother

IMG_20200111_195621.jpg

painted black

IMG_20200111_200307.jpg
IMG_20200111_204307.jpg

after going for a brief test drive, tis nice to see it turn from shiny satin black to dull matt black :cool:?

IMG_20200111_212027.jpg

Nice work on the mani - looks pretty similar to the bolt-on upgrade of the cube x-alpha manifold

http://march199205.g1.xrea.com/ijiro/alpha/alpha.htm

Thanks,

Craig
I want one of them , believe it would have nice gain without alot of noise and be lowkey with a heatshield on ect , over a decat or branch Mani,
The cube alpha 1.4 dizzy was 100hp , tho the exhaust cam was alittle different and possible more aggressive ECU, but rest was stock really ,

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Nice work on the mani - looks pretty similar to the bolt-on upgrade of the cube x-alpha manifold

http://march199205.g1.xrea.com/ijiro/alpha/alpha.htm

Thanks,

Craig

thanks
the equal length 4-1 Cube manifold would've been a nice layout to aim for but would take alot more time & effort to custom build or difficult to source as Jack mentioned.
just welding this bigger funnel into the stock mani was alot quicker & easier and seems to do the job (y)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2020-01-08
after passing her MOT and the new year, it's time for the 1st car meet after 6mth absense.
we met at the new location with lukes corrado, and then simon's silver R33 arrived :cool:

IMG_20200108_184538.jpg
IMG_20200108_192124.jpg

then lawrences white supra arrived

IMG_20200108_185906.jpg

and then azzams 1JZ RX7

IMG_20200108_195712.jpg

and finally craigs blue R33 ?

IMG_20200108_192958.jpg
IMG_20200108_193048.jpg

wow what an awesome turnout ?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2020-01-12
on lukes turbo corrado, his external wastegate had a bung screw shaken out causing a boost leak till his boost controller couldn't go above 6psi.
so I replumb the boost solenoid lines to correct for this leak.
meanwhile, luke polishes kassandras bonnet

IMG_20200112_154049.jpg

then we went to the local meet

IMG_20200112_182041.jpg
IMG_20200112_195504.jpg

IMG_20200115_184807.jpg
IMG_20200115_184817.jpg