OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Not my work but makes sense... relating to our TB discussions:-

Bigger Throttle body nonsense…
I love my dyno, it’s great.
It doesn’t suffer from any placebo effects, it doesn’t read biased rubbish on the internet, it doesn’t try to sell you anything or try to convince itself that its most recent purchase was not a total waste of money and it doesn’t flatter with “suits you, Sir” lies; it just measures what is being produced and shows it, warts an’ all.
So, now that’s out of the way, let’s look a little bit at HOW engines breathe, since that’s what induction changes seemingly set out set out to improve…..
Suck, squeeze, bang, blow right? Yes of course, mostly.
However, imagine that a given engine has a cylinder capacity of say, 3000cc, so each revolution it would DISPLACE 1500cc (1.5 litres), and that it’s running at 6000 rpm; that’s 100 revs per second so 50 CYCLES per second and thus, 150 litres per second @ 100% Volumetric Efficiency (VE). Think about that, a hundred and fifty litres per SECOND.
Well, given how fast that is all happening the VE isn’t going to be anything like 100%, is it, because there’s so little time to fill and empty the cylinders, right?
All the little restrictions along the way; air filter, trunking, intake silencer, throttle body, plenum chamber, intake runners, ports in the cylinder head, past the valves (which are closed for more than half of the time) and that’s just to get TO the cylinder, after all that it’s still got to get out….
SO…. what would you realistically expect the VE to be in such circumstances? Well, if you were to put a huge vacuum cleaner sucking at an unrestricted rate of 150 l/s (saving the piston’s uppy-downy motions from doing the job) pulling air through to the cylinders you’d get, perhaps 75% of the potential unrestricted flow. In that case there’s 25% of the potential flow lost to the restrictions.
You’re never going to get ZERO restriction because there’s far too much other necessary stuff in the engine and engine bay to fit filter, trunking, manifold and ports of sufficient proportions to have zero restriction.
A modern engine is pretty good out of the box and you wouldn’t ever expect as much as a 5% improvement in flow without drastic changes, and those very same drastic changes would likely make things worse in other ways. So, best ways up you might see 78 or 79% of the potential flow.
How come then, a typical modern high-performance road car engine has a VE of as much as 120%? Yes, a 3 litre engine would breathe as much as 3600cc in two revolutions!
With its silly uppy-downy pistons, pulling air past valves that are only open for typically 36% of the time, through ports that often have rough surfaces and uneven profiles, through often convoluted trunking and in from the outside world through a filter that only has open areas of a few microns. It cannot possibly be, surely? That’s over 50% more than the possible flow when the valves are only open for 36% of the time and the piston is only on the induction stroke for half of a revolution. “Get the ducking stool ready people, something isn’t right…..”
Well it can and it does, using PRESSURE WAVES. Tuning pressure waves is what it’s all about. Camshafts, exhausts, intake systems SHOULD all work absolutely together to harness the highs and lows of the pressure waves to best effect; so effective in fact that it amounts to a very significant supercharging effect.
Flow plays a very low second fiddle to pressure waves when it comes to tuning, because the difference that a loss of wave amplitude makes is far greater than the potential flow ‘increase’ from having a larger diameter and guess what? When the diameter of a pipe increases, the amplitude of the waves within it reduce because the molecule compression occurs over a greater area (the surface area, if you will, of the pipe section), so while the static flow may be imagined to be greater, the dynamic flow is actually considerably less.
For example, just look at a GT or F3 airbox - the airbox is huge to harness the pressure waves but the inlet FLOW is through a tiny little inlet restrictor, and despite this the engines still make PLENTY of power.
A flat six engine (all sixes actually for a specific reason that we don’t need to entertain here) is particularly well suited to harnessing the pressure waves that travel back and forth into, as well as across, the manifold if allowed to. They can make a huge difference to the VE at some engine speeds. This is why the (not stupid) design engineers at Porsche have gone to such great lengths to make best use of the pressure waves by employing various flaps in the system to either block or allow passage of pressure waves within the system.
When developing their engines manufacturers will do many, many hours of simulation work. After that they will make many test pieces, probably at least twenty different head casting designs, fifty camshaft profiles, piston crown designs, valve head shapes, compression ratios, manifold designs, you name it. At each engine test, a zillion sensors and probes are mounted all over the engine measuring everything that can be measured.
DO YOU NOT THINK THAT AT SOME POINT IN ALL THAT IT WOULD HAVE BECOME APPARENT TO THEM THAT IT NEEDED A BIGGER THROTTLE BODY?
No, of course not, they’re all stupid those Germans, right?
It takes Fred in his shed with probably zero engine design expertise, to think “Gad Daim, I can fit me a bigger throddle on there an’ life will be reeeeeal gewd….”
If only things were that simple…..
In the vast majority of cases BIGGER THROTTLE INTAKES DON’T WORK so save your money.
In every single Porsche case that I have EVER had on the dyno, NO bigger intake has made an improvement, and almost ALL has made less area under the curve than stock.
When a vendor selling parts says “There’s a 25 bhp difference with this Big-Boy Carlos Fandango intake Sonny Jim” just consider whether he means UP or DOWN!!!!!!

very fascinating, thanks for sharing Matt :)
this applies to both NA and forced right?

I'd agree that I'd be very careful changing much on a performance orientated car such as a porsche, if I was looking to modify for increased performance (if I were looking for increased drivability then there might be things to tweak but I doubt it).
Sadly or not? that's not the case with the CG13DE or CG10DE the CG is supposed to stand for clean and green or so I've read!

So given the manufacturer is going to optimise towards a particular use or sets of use then they will make design choices to suit that use, they will also make design decisions to suit a particular price point.
So apart from the clean and green what was Nissan's motivations when developing the CG? Well the only vehicles it's in are small cheap motorised shopping trolleys, their primary purpose is a small, cheap, reliable, bare bones, runabout that is easy to drive, economical to run, so all the design decisions were made with this in mind.

On the other hand if tuning for performance this means there's some easy and cheap gains to be had, in my case a new exhaust and inlet manifold as well as a larger throttlebody (dubious benefit maybe) has given close to 33% more power (Nistune tune as well although a ECU would be tuned from factory to suit), if Nissan engineers were chasing performance then they didn't try very hard!

Look at the weight of the flywheel, the twin cats, tiny exhaust and restrictive cast manifold, small brakes, beam rear axle, spartan interior. Don't get me wrong I like micras but they weren't designed as performance cars, of all it's cars it's one where I'd guess Nissan was least concerned about performance.

Now if we look at Paul's application: Track day car, performance over comfort, heavy braking and acceleration, high cornering forces, turbo putting out 160 hp? vrs the factory 75hp, we are pretty far from the intended purpose Nissan had in mind.
Yes I know there were Nissan supported Micra rally cars and performance Micras that probably got factory backing but I'd argue the initial design didn't have any of those in mind.

The contrast between the CG and a VG30DETT (3ltr twin turbo z32) that I've been helping with lately is HUGE! the VG is complicated as, unreliable as, and goes like stink if you get it running, Nissan at the time weren't afraid of complications and going all out for performance. I'd change those motors for greater reliability, I doubt you'd easily get much more performance out of them without bypassing emissions or using technology they didn't have back then.

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
It was for interest reading, I didn't say it fully applied to Micras which as you say would have been tuned to a price more than performance. But given some of us have found little to no gains from using an increased TB size it is interesting reading. I suspect the reason for the standard TB being better for our application is that we are stuck with the standard inlet manifold (road rally regs and cost reasons) so the standard TB is 'tuned' to the standard inlet manifold. Moving away from the standard inlet manifold may see more gains.

frank

Club Member
you have to address the bottleneck first, the most restrictive area, and then when that is opened up you can probably fit a bigger t/b.
calculate the cross sectional area, for instance the inlet throats in the head are 18mm dia iirc, so pi x r x r multiplied by 8 throats that are each open for about 200 deg (depending on what cams you are running)
it they = less than the t/b then no gains

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
The elephant in the room here is that, it's already been proven (on an N/A CGA3DE at least) that increasing the standard throttle body from 45mm to 48mm does yield an increase, even on a bog stock intake, engine and cam. All testing done by one person on the same dyno. Anything more however resulted in a loss. Granted it's perhaps small gains when compared to those seen on a well proportioned manifold with ITBs for example, but it's a gain none the less.

Likely very true on a high end performance car that's enjoyed decades of progressive development with large budgets. In Paul's case however, if he's pulling a leaner AFR at WOT at any given point, the charge air density has increased. There's really nothing more to discuss.

That's what this (in results text):
http://www.hipermath.com/math_center/racing_calculations
Throttle body size calculator reckoned when I was playing with some numbers.

Curiously it's 'race' numbers correspond with the standard TB size it's not until you move the peak power figure to 7500rpm you get 48mm. 8300rpm before it deems a 50mm throttle body necessary.

It was for interest reading, I didn't say it fully applied to Micras
Sorry I can tend to make the point forcefully.

Useful calcs there. Anyone want to buy a GA15 TB????
I'm thinking of next time I get Spot tuned of quickly putting on the standard TB to see what difference it makes, trouble is that engine is going to be better able to make use of the GA15 TB. I remember the tuner being unconvinced about putting the GA15 TB on, Matt Argent has also gone back to a smaller TB as he said they were getting max air readings before the throttle was fully open so the smaller TB gives better throttle control.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Maybe it's worthy of it's own thread. I'll certainly be putting my experiences in my blog as I'm honing in on 250bhp from the stock inlet manifold and head :geek:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
I'd agree that I'd be very careful changing much on a performance orientated car such as a porsche, if I was looking to modify for increased performance (if I were looking for increased drivability then there might be things to tweak but I doubt it).
Sadly or not? that's not the case with the CG13DE or CG10DE the CG is supposed to stand for clean and green or so I've read!

So given the manufacturer is going to optimise towards a particular use or sets of use then they will make design choices to suit that use, they will also make design decisions to suit a particular price point.
So apart from the clean and green what was Nissan's motivations when developing the CG? Well the only vehicles it's in are small cheap motorised shopping trolleys, their primary purpose is a small, cheap, reliable, bare bones, runabout that is easy to drive, economical to run, so all the design decisions were made with this in mind.

On the other hand if tuning for performance this means there's some easy and cheap gains to be had, in my case a new exhaust and inlet manifold as well as a larger throttlebody (dubious benefit maybe) has given close to 33% more power (Nistune tune as well although a ECU would be tuned from factory to suit), if Nissan engineers were chasing performance then they didn't try very hard!

Look at the weight of the flywheel, the twin cats, tiny exhaust and restrictive cast manifold, small brakes, beam rear axle, spartan interior. Don't get me wrong I like micras but they weren't designed as performance cars, of all it's cars it's one where I'd guess Nissan was least concerned about performance.

Now if we look at Paul's application: Track day car, performance over comfort, heavy braking and acceleration, high cornering forces, turbo putting out 160 hp? vrs the factory 75hp, we are pretty far from the intended purpose Nissan had in mind.
Yes I know there were Nissan supported Micra rally cars and performance Micras that probably got factory backing but I'd argue the initial design didn't have any of those in mind.

The contrast between the CG and a VG30DETT (3ltr twin turbo z32) that I've been helping with lately is HUGE! the VG is complicated as, unreliable as, and goes like stink if you get it running, Nissan at the time weren't afraid of complications and going all out for performance. I'd change those motors for greater reliability, I doubt you'd easily get much more performance out of them without bypassing emissions or using technology they didn't have back then.

indeed my application is very far from the micra's original factory criteria but like any project car, kasandra is an ongoing experiment, making choices which suit my circumstances and letting me express my engineering curiosity to improve things :cool:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
It was for interest reading, I didn't say it fully applied to Micras which as you say would have been tuned to a price more than performance. But given some of us have found little to no gains from using an increased TB size it is interesting reading. I suspect the reason for the standard TB being better for our application is that we are stuck with the standard inlet manifold (road rally regs and cost reasons) so the standard TB is 'tuned' to the standard inlet manifold. Moving away from the standard inlet manifold may see more gains.

there's probably a big difference in level of gains between N/A & forced induction when enlarging a restrictive TB

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
you have to address the bottleneck first, the most restrictive area, and then when that is opened up you can probably fit a bigger t/b.
calculate the cross sectional area, for instance the inlet throats in the head are 18mm dia iirc, so pi x r x r multiplied by 8 throats that are each open for about 200 deg (depending on what cams you are running)
it they = less than the t/b then no gains

yeah a system is only as good/strong as the weakest bottleneck

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
The elephant in the room here is that, it's already been proven (on an N/A CGA3DE at least) that increasing the standard throttle body from 45mm to 48mm does yield an increase, even on a bog stock intake, engine and cam. All testing done by one person on the same dyno. Anything more however resulted in a loss. Granted it's perhaps small gains when compared to those seen on a well proportioned manifold with ITBs for example, but it's a gain none the less.

Likely very true on a high end performance car that's enjoyed decades of progressive development with large budgets. In Paul's case however, if he's pulling a leaner AFR at WOT at any given point, the charge air density has increased. There's really nothing more to discuss.

it's all a balancing & compromising act especially when the cams, C/R, timings etc etc are all fixed.

having something too small or too large for a certain operation will throw the rest of the system out of balance making it inefficient, losing performance.

yup it seems that opening the restrictive TB on my turbo setup improved volumetric efficiency allowing the boost to easily cram more air density into the engine at high loads. It leaned out at the high end cos the Nistune map has never been mapped with this increased air density.
therefore will require remapping to utilise the bigger opening.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
How are things going Paul? No input on here, from you, for about a month now?
Paul puts a lot of updates on Facebook these days.

allo allo John & Dave. sorry for the month gap, I'm still alive here :p

just being busy with working all week, working on car on evenings, working on ppls cars on weekends, and not enough energy or time afterwards to write my usual detailed blog updates here :sleep:

don't worry, big updates about the past months coming soon

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
applied some epoxy putty around the turbo oil drain fitting to temporarily reduce the oil leak

micra (0).jpg

found some more rust under the door seals

micra (1).jpg
micra (2).jpg

the snow in Feb was a nice test of the LSD working well :cool:

micra (3).jpg

after running the new engine 1000miles, time to service it.
rebuilt LSD giving the magnetic plug plenty of debris

micra (4).jpg

filthy oil

micra (5).jpg

winter sun inbetween the sun visors were blinding me and didn't have any vinyl strip on hand, so improvised with a roll of ducktape :p:cool:

micra (6).jpg
micra (7).jpg
micra (8).jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Remote fuel cap

wanted to ditch the old sticky fuel cap cable release and make it electronic, so brought some solenoid actuators to experiment

IMAG1340.jpg
IMAG1341.jpg

turns out there's a lot of friction in the spring loaded fuel cap so the tiny linear electromagnet simply ain't powerful enough. I'd probably have to use a rack & pinion or central locking actuator.

for the moment I tried making a quick latch

IMAG1344.jpg
IMAG1345.jpg

soon made it into a cable operated latch

IMAG1346.jpg
IMAG1347.jpg
IMAG1348.jpg
IMAG1349.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Reinforced upper front strut brace

often thought the OMP strut brace was basically too floppy & weak and just for looks

IMAG1327.jpg

chopped it all apart to make a stronger brace

IMAG1328.jpg

this adjuster could soon be used in the panhard rod instead

IMAG1329.jpg

made a stronger mount to bolt onto

IMAG1363.jpg

soon found the PAS pressure sensor block was intruding

IMAG1370.jpg
IMAG1355.jpg

so I machined it down and tied it to one side for now

IMAG1379.jpg
IMAG1380.jpg
IMAG1381.jpg
IMAG1385.jpg

figuring out the best structure, a straight bar between the struts would be the stiffest but it's too close to the TB pipes and obstructs the brake reservoir

IMAG1386.jpg
IMAG1387.jpg

a better solution was to curve the brace to clear the TB & reservoir, keep the forces going throuh the centre of the strut mount and anchor it to the bulkhead to reduce any flexing

IMAG1394.jpg
IMAG1399.jpg
IMAG1401.jpg
IMAG1404.jpg
IMAG1406.jpg
IMAG1408.jpg
IMAG1410.jpg
IMAG1411.jpg
IMAG1412.jpg

a lick of red paint :cool: and it looks the business (y)

IMAG1420.jpg
IMAG1422.jpg
IMAG1423.jpg

found this Bisto chicken flavour cap was perfect size for covering the top mount :D

IMAG1428.jpg

testing it in the countryside bends and wow the steering is a lot more responsive now :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
reinstalled the bonnet LED lights

micra (11).jpg
micra (12).jpg

here's a look at the cross section of the old JE low compression forged pistons that blew up last year, it's perfectly strong enough

micra (13).jpg

realigned the wheels with 0.15deg toe out, found it really helped turn-in and reduce the 'floppy' feel of the soft Toyo sidewalls

micra (14).jpg

after dropping and smashing my old & slow HTX One X+ phone, I finally bit the bullet and invested in a new Huawei P20 Pro with Twilight cover, mainly for the powerful camera and WOW boy oh boy is this one hell of a camera :D:cool::love:

micra (15).jpg
micra (16).jpg
micra (17).jpg

'aperture mode' gives some amazing depth of field effect

micra (18).jpg

but the main thing that amazes me is the friggin Night mode that can capture really dark shots and balances all the exposures like HDR and just look at how awesome she looks :D:D

micra (19).jpg
micra (20).jpg
micra (21).jpg
micra (22).jpg
micra (23).jpg
micra (24).jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Machine new adjustable Dump Valve

wanted to make a fully adjustable dump valve to balance the spring rate against the inlet vacuum so it only opens when there's excess pressure.
modelled the first prototype

dump.jpg
dump (1).jpg
dump (2).jpg
dump (3).jpg

machined all the parts

dump (4).jpg
dump (5).jpg
dump (6).jpg

it's bigger than I thought lol. boost was still leaking and found the pressure was lifting the piston open

dump (7).jpg

redesigned with a better seal and keeping it aligned straight

dump (8).jpg
dump (9).jpg
dump (10).jpg
dump (11).jpg
dump (12).jpg
dump (13).jpg
dump (14).jpg

works a lot better now

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
trimmed some soy sauce labels to decorate my oil catch cans lol :LOL::coffee:

IMAG1455.jpg
IMAG1456.jpg
IMG_20190224_175034_003.jpg

after 1000miles the new engine filled the catch can almost full :oops:

IMAG1515.jpg
IMAG1516.jpg

capturing a ton more vapour than ever, probably due to the excess blowby from the intentionally loose ring end gaps

log.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
micra (27).jpg

after buying a new phone, I wondered if the old HTC could be used as an onboard HD camera? to repair the cracked screen I found it's cheaper to just buy another whole spare phone and swap the screens :D

micra (28).jpg

roughly test fitted it on a jig and although it was HD quality, the phone casing etc was too flimsy & floppy so it was shaky & useless and biggest flaw was it can only record upto 4gb and just stop recording or corrupt :rolleyes:

micra (29).jpg
micra (30).jpg

friend at the car meet sold me their old cheapo action camera and although it worked, somehow during the trackday it stopped working :cry: still figuring what broke

micra (31).jpg
micra (32).jpg
micra (33).jpg
micra (35).jpg

there's a massive boost leak so did a few tests and found the old intercooler was more pourous than swiss cheese :poop:

IMG_20190309_150139.jpg
IMG_20190309_153159.jpg

tried to block the leaking passages with sealant but didn't work and tbh it's all probably fatigued now

IMG_20190310_095351.jpg
IMG_20190309_215358.jpg

reassembled before the track day

IMG_20190310_003412.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-02-10 Weld exhaust for Nicholas black MR2

a m8 of mine needed me to convert his MR2 from a dual tail pipe into a single exhaust

so I removed the old pipes via a simple v-band

he brought along a 90deg bend to connect the new silencer

afew making a new mount and figuring the right angle, the new exhaust was welded & clamped

we finished late in the evening and damn it's loud ? could hear it for miles away

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-02-12 Machining wheel spacers

a guy needed his new ebay wheel spacers machined to a smaller diameter to clear his brake calipers, which my mini lathe was barely able to fit but did it ?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-03-02 Full stainless exhaust for Matthews Octavia 4x4 turbo estate

my m8 Matthew needed me to help build a bigger exhaust for his octavia turbo estate.
it was abit tricky jacking up a lowered car with this body kit so I had to lift it bit by bit

matthew zorst (1).jpg
matthew zorst (2).jpg

this bit of the original exhaust around the rear diff was sooooo restrictive ?

matthew zorst (3).jpg
matthew zorst (4).jpg

you can guess from the pictures that removing the old downpipe from the back of this tight engine bay was an absolute PITA!! ??

matthew zorst (5).jpg
matthew zorst (6).jpg
matthew zorst (9).jpg

so that's why it's been blowing out hard cos the nut's rusted right off

matthew zorst (10).jpg

salvage the old sensors

matthew zorst (11).jpg

matthew brought this 3" downpipe but we soon found out it was actually meant for a FWD octavia whereas this is an AWD estate with a huge prop shaft through the middle ?

matthew zorst (13).jpg
matthew zorst (12).jpg

with the old downpipe destroyed and daytime running out, the only option to get him home was to remove the driveshaft temporarily (an even bigger PITA) and weld the new downpipe to the remaining exhaust

matthew zorst (14).jpg
matthew zorst (15).jpg
matthew zorst (16).jpg

We met up another time to resolve this downpipe conflict

matthew zorst (17).jpg

chopped the new downpipe and began reconstructing the path to clear the prop shaft

matthew zorst (18).jpg
matthew zorst (19).jpg
matthew zorst (20).jpg
matthew zorst (21).jpg
matthew zorst (22).jpg

dropped the cat back exhaust

matthew zorst (23).jpg

welded the reconstructed stainless downpipe to the steel cat back. it's a tight fitment cramming a 3" pipe between a propshaft, prop bearing, subframe & chassis

matthew zorst (24).jpg
matthew zorst (25).jpg
matthew zorst (26).jpg
matthew zorst (27).jpg

chopping his old exhaust apart, wonder if I can re-use these cats on my turbo micra ?

matthew zorst (28).jpg
matthew zorst (29).jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
few weeks later we meet up to finish making the rear of the exhaust.
again removing the exhaust was a mission

IMG_20190803_105848.jpg
IMG_20190803_115937.jpg

many hours later I made a much smoother & bigger flowing exhaust compared to the original

IMG_20190803_154308.jpg

added his electronic bypass valve ?

IMG_20190803_180538.jpg
IMG_20190803_180549.jpg

sits nicely

IMG_20190803_185933.jpg

it was slightly louder than he wanted but he also had this teeny spare silencer in the boot. we quickly shuved it on the end of the prev backbox for curious laugh and it was actually slightly quieter so left it on ?

IMG_20190803_190001.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-03-11 Teesside Autodrome Trackday

reassembled Kassandra with her badly porous old intercooler

IMG_20190310_150756.jpg
IMG_20190310_165300.jpg
IMG_20190310_165417.jpg

arrived at 8am on a sunny morning next to Stevens fire spitting rx8 :D

micra (36).jpg
micra (37).jpg

frankie came later in her Prelude :cool:

micra (38).jpg
micra (39).jpg
micra (40).jpg

10:30am run 1
tyre pressure - 2.2 / 2.4bar cold
15/30 damper
60/40 brake bias
dry warm track
45% fuel
driver only

old intercooler was leaking soo much boost from 12.3psi down to just 7psi and lost soo much power

lap times:

11:18am run 2

tyre pressure - 2.7 / 2.7bar hot
10/30 damper
60/40 brake bias
dry warm track
40% fuel
with Steven as passenger

giving Steven a ride, who was in the fire spitting RX8 earlier in front of me

lap times:

1:12pm run 3
10/30 damper
60/40 brake bias
dry warm track
100% fuel
Nicholas as passenger

giving my m8 Nicholas a ride, who drives a black MR2

lap times:

1:48pm run 4
10/30 damper
60/40 brake bias
dry warm track
80% fuel
with Frankiee as passenger

giving Frankie a ride, who drives the golden Prelude

lap times:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2:12pm run 5
tyre pressure gauge no power
10/30 damper
60/40 brake bias
dry warm track
60% fuel
with Nicholas as passenger

giving Nicholas another ride ? my tyre gauge also ran outa battery

lap times:

3:42pm run 6
tyre pressure gauge no power
10/30 damper
60/40 brake bias
dry warm track
50% fuel
driver only

last run with the setup dialled in

lap times:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-03-12 Cracked piston #3

after the trackday, she created a ton of oil vapour in the catch cans ?

IMG_20190311_222519.jpg

checked compression and oh dear #3 is really really low ?

IMG_20190312_184010.jpg

checking if all the valve clearances are correct and they're all perfect

IMG_20190314_195610.jpg
IMG_20190314_195629.jpg

made this little adapter to use my foot pump on my compression tester as a leakdown tester ?

IMG_20190317_171044.jpg
IMG_20190317_171102.jpg
IMG_20190317_171312.jpg

tested cylinder #3 and yup it's definately leaking past the rings and down into the crackcase, soo guess I cracked the usual #3 ring land again ??

IMG_20190317_173927.jpg

brought a spare cg13 piston

IMG_20190331_132741.jpg

a lot of blowby was condensed

IMG_20190418_203004.jpg

begin stripping the head off

IMG_20190418_212107.jpg
IMG_20190418_225210.jpg
IMG_20190419_002549.jpg
IMG_20190419_002635.jpg
IMG_20190419_004627.jpg

sump removed

IMG_20190419_120901.jpg
IMG_20190419_120927.jpg

oh dear, yeah #3 is ruined

IMG_20190419_122207.jpg
IMG_20190419_123411.jpg

cleaned the spare piston

IMG_20190419_134744.jpg

this epoxy over the leaking turbo drain wasn't working so I chipped it off and welded it properly

IMG_20190419_152740.jpg
IMG_20190419_160249.jpg

something has struck the turbo again and bent one of the fins :(

IMG_20190419_225852.jpg

tried carefully bending it back but unfortunately it cracked off ? hope it'll spin ok

IMG_20190419_230217.jpg
IMG_20190419_232631.jpg

cleaned the deck and reassembled

IMG_20190419_175544.jpg
IMG_20190419_184210.jpg
IMG_20190419_184222.jpg
IMG_20190420_114947.jpg
IMG_20190421_052559.jpg

fired her up and she's running smooth ?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-03-16 Lead acid battery replacement

I've always noticed these Odyssey racing batteries don't last so well and quickly drains out minutes after using anything as simple as the LED interior lights, headlights, or even just the hazards and then got stranded at a maccyD just listening to my tunes for 30mins ? this was silly

micra (49).jpg
micra (56).jpg

so I decided to just fit a normal battery I got from work

micra (57).jpg

machined one of the terminals that was too small

micra (58).jpg
micra (59).jpg

clamped snugly to the floor

micra (60).jpg
micra (61).jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-03-20 New Intercooler

finally got myself a new shiny intercooler ??

IMG_20190320_175617.jpg
IMG_20190320_180130.jpg

it has a much better flowing "plate & bar" construction with a thicker core than before

IMG_20190320_180226.jpg
IMG_20190320_180316.jpg

old vs new

IMG_20190320_225715.jpg
IMG_20190320_225738.jpg
IMG_20190321_004645.jpg

lol she has a shiny new set of teeth now ???

IMG_20190321_015147.jpg
IMG_20190321_142959.jpg

this is whats inside the old intercooler ?

IMG_20190331_133252.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-03-23 SR20 MAF air leak

testing the charge pipes for any leaks after fitting the new intercooler, I found the GTIR maf had a few leaks

IMG_20190322_000815.jpg

one was from this siliconed section

IMG_20190322_002905.jpg
IMG_20190322_002933.jpg

used an old silicone elbow to fix that

IMG_20190322_015748.jpg

another leak from the adapter plate

IMG_20190323_000224.jpg
IMG_20190323_003007.jpg

didn't have any o-rings big enough so I improvised with some USB cable lol
did the job

IMG_20190323_004023.jpg
IMG_20190323_014627.jpg
IMG_20190323_014552.jpg
IMG_20190329_224606.jpg

wasn't happy with the thin flexing adapter plate so I made a new one from thick plate

IMG_20190428_131740.jpg
IMG_20190428_135307.jpg

new o-ring I got from an oil filter kit

IMG_20190330_095522.jpg
IMG_20190428_164350.jpg

now it's all sealed much better ?

IMG_20190428_165852.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-03-23 New CG13 Engine

on the facebook MSC market place I spotted someone down Hull selling a complete low mileage CG13 for £100 ?
the guy referred me to John who runs a garage in Hull. he used to tune alot of cars and now breakers alot of micras. I quickly popped down, we had a good chat and collected my new engine.

micra (71).jpg
micra (72).jpg

just like the last engine I brought from hull back in November, it came with a ton of spares attached ?

micra (73).jpg
micra (74).jpg
micra (75).jpg
micra (76).jpg
micra (77).jpg

a smaller PAS pump compared to mine

micra (78).jpg
micra (79).jpg

hooked up the starter motor to do a rough compression test to check it's condition and it has good equal readings ?

micra (80).jpg

immaculate inside

micra (81).jpg
micra (82).jpg

clutch in average condition

micra (83).jpg
micra (84).jpg
micra (85).jpg
micra (86).jpg
micra (87).jpg
micra (88).jpg
micra (89).jpg
micra (90).jpg

this low milage block will be a good rebuilding candidate one day for when I convert over to standalone ECU and a new turbo

micra (91).jpg
micra (92).jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-03-24 Dyno runs with CCS club at DynoRemaps

the local CCS club I regularly meet with was holding a dyno day at a local tuner place, be interesting to see what she does in her broken state compared to her last dyno run

IMG_20190324_095855.jpg
IMG_20190324_110412.jpg

along with Steve in the RX8 who I met at the trackday

IMG_20190324_093137.jpg
IMG_20190324_100346.jpg

Kassandra went on the dyno

IMG_20190324_103443.jpg
IMG_20190324_103759.jpg
IMG_20190324_103818.jpg

compared to her previous forged piston setup, considering she also has a leaking cracked #3 ring land, boost leak, and included the mid-cat, she created a surprising 164hp? ???‍♂️ a strange huge dip at 6k rpm

Turbo Setup 2019 forged vs cast.jpg

it was Lukes turn in his Corrado

IMG_20190324_095943.jpg
IMG_20190324_100113.jpg
IMG_20190324_111903.jpg
IMG_20190324_111924.jpg

it was under-performing and something not right so we headed back home to check timing etc

IMG_20190324_120550.jpg

I found the throttle wasn't fully opening, we corrected the cable tension and it pulls much better now

IMG_20190324_125251.jpg

went for another run and yet still doesn't reach the factory output...months later we soon found it was actually misfiring on 5 cyls

IMG_20190324_134037.jpg

ended the night meeting at the usual Cafe point

IMG_20190324_201203.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-03-23 Neater fuse box wiring

wanted to fix this rusty exposed wiring that was chopped off the old ABS unit

IMG_20190323_234810.jpg
IMG_20190323_235914.jpg

eliminated the useless wiring

IMG_20190324_003951.jpg

and rewrapped the loom

IMG_20190324_024547.jpg
IMG_20190324_031248.jpg
IMG_20190324_031250.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-03-31 Electrical breakdown

Kassandra's been suffering from some random electrical glitch where the ignition randomly cuts out whilst driving along, the engine light blinks briefly like whenever the NATS triggered, and the wideband restarts itself ?

at the local car meet, I went to crank the car but sadly she refused to fire up for some reason ?:poop:

I did have my tow-rod and Alex in the huge diesel land rover said he could tow me home.
he did get me home but OMFG being towed at night behind a huge land rover with the shortest solid rod, whizzing at 60mph, with no communication, and a constant face full of thick veg-oil coal-rolling soot is the single most terrifying thing I've ever done! ??:poop::poop:

IMG_20190331_211820.jpg

I took the fusebox apart

IMG_20190401_181739.jpg
IMG_20190401_223614.jpg
IMG_20190401_230553.jpg
IMG_20190401_232835.jpg

and discovered the shared ground pins that included the injectors were corroded apart, which may explain the random cut-out and difficult cold starts

IMG_20190401_232912.jpg

I resoldered the connections back together, reassembled and tried cranking her but she still blinks her engine light / NATS triggered and refuses to fire up ?

IMG_20190402_204352.jpg
IMG_20190402_213829.jpg
IMG_20190402_214348.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-04-02 Resolve Ignition issue / removing NATS

after fixing a rusty injector fusebox connection, she refused to start and kept blinking her engine/NATS lights. did the bad injector wiring trigger NATS? removed the ECU to investigate

IMG_20190402_221412.jpg

tested the fuel lines and the pump is priming ok during the 4sec ignition ON. so it's getting fuel flow but injectors are just not triggering due to NATS ?

IMG_20190402_235825.jpg

in case the ECU was damaged, I managed to buy a spare CG10 ecu on the left (different wiring and didn't work) and a face-lift NATS ecu on the right

IMG_20190412_023045.jpg

soldered the nistune ribbon onto the new face-lift NATS ecu

IMG_20190413_150233.jpg

I also deactivated the NATS function within the Nistune mapping since this is a different mismatched ECU, uploaded the map and Hey Presto! the engine light returns back and she fires back up YAY!! ???

IMG_20190413_161148.jpg

since NATS is eliminated, I may as well completely remove the whole system/wiring so it never conflicts again

IMG_20190411_195941.jpg
IMG_20190411_200048.jpg
IMG_20190413_194147.jpg

inside a NATS transponder & key

IMG_20190402_224847.jpg
IMG_20190424_014428.jpg

reassembled the working car ?

IMG_20190413_232106.jpg
IMG_20190414_145006.jpg
IMG_20190414_145026.jpg
IMG_20190414_145048.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2019-04-23 Rewire Nistune

even after replacing the ECU and eliminating NATS, the random & really annoying electrical hiccup / glitch has returned until the engine light barely connects. there's a loose wiring somewhere ?

wondering if it's the nistune ribbon cable, I tried reconnecting it with individual wires with no frustrating success ?

IMG_20190423_002330.jpg
IMG_20190425_003003.jpg
IMG_20190425_003028.jpg
IMG_20190425_004452.jpg

as a last resort, during an MSC trip to Sweden to visit ralph & iris new home for Ralphfest 2019, he helped rewire my nistune ECU with his better solder kit

IMG_20190503_1.jpg
IMG_20190503_2.jpg
IMG_20190503_3.jpg
IMG_20190506_012331.jpg

back at home I reconnected the ECU and was pulling my hair when it still didn't work ARGHH! ??

ok I maticulously traced & tested every single circuit in the Nistune connection from pin-to-pin chip-to-chip

IMG_20190506_161115.jpg
IMG_20190506_184850.jpg

until finally I discovered this tiny single track had a dry faulty solder connection. I bridged it with wire and behold she WORKS! ??? thank god

IMG_20190506_184912.jpg

Last edited: