• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

Genuine Nissan or knock-off? If it's the latter, DON'T jack it up using the front jacking point or you'll turn it into a banana without additional reinforcement.
i got the Taiwan after market one and not had any problems jacking it up ,it's kinda thin but about the same as the original ,even welded ok with a arc welder when the mig broke, and surprised it held up without rusting it wasn't really sealed or painted except the welded.bits

sister was replacing her carpets so I grabbed the underfloor insulation she was gonna chuck away so I can insulate the micra again.
I first made a piece for the boot floor

View attachment 58992View attachment 58993View attachment 58994
those stick on sound deadening packs seems to work, I've got 10 I think on atm ,rear wheel well, n/s.inner.arch , rear quarter panels, inner sill, and some on the main floor and the car seems more.quiet, except the exhaust lol, but the road and rattles seem less , as originally I had some sound deadening cloth in the boot and 3 pieces of the stick on does the same / better?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
those stick on sound deadening packs seems to work, I've got 10 I think on atm ,rear wheel well, n/s.inner.arch , rear quarter panels, inner sill, and some on the main floor and the car seems more.quiet, except the exhaust lol, but the road and rattles seem less , as originally I had some sound deadening cloth in the boot and 3 pieces of the stick on does the same / better?
Think I'll have to remove the dash to muffle the bulkhead where most of the noise comes from

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

... Have another recommended spot? I've already bent my sills a bit :oops:
the front floor rails, and put the axle stands under the rear wishbone mounts, under the rear coils of the rear axle or can jack on the towing eye, then axle stands in front of the trailing arms on the chassis legs , check your crewmember first cause of its rotten or or damaged, they can bend lol

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
how'd you recommend I reinforce it?
weld a few angled truss ribs inside the box section?
Maybe over kill on a non rally car. I used angle iron on the front faces and then flat iron to make a 'box' around the three faces of the box. Can get some pics at some point if you want. That then is braced to the chassis rails. It is the sump guard mount so is prone to a lot of force and abuse. But will very easily take whole weight of car on it.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
... Have another recommended spot? I've already bent my sills a bit :oops:

as Jack mentioned above, I use my trolley jack under the lower control arm rear bushing and the rear axle beam and then place the axle stands on the front floor rails and in front of the lower trailing arm mount or on the axle beam

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Maybe over kill on a non rally car. I used angle iron on the front faces and then flat iron to make a 'box' around the three faces of the box. Can get some pics at some point if you want. That then is braced to the chassis rails. It is the sump guard mount so is prone to a lot of force and abuse. But will very easily take whole weight of car on it.

yeah sounds like a ton of overkill for her :D
think I'll leave it cos I'll never jack up from that point anyway and its extra work :p

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
welded up all the holes on the front panel so dirt/water can never get inside in the 1st place

IMAG0005.jpg
IMAG0006.jpg
IMAG0007.jpg

chopped out these side sections for the intercooler plumbing

IMAG0021.jpg
IMAG0022.jpg
IMAG0023.jpg

bent & welded back up

IMAG0024.jpg
IMAG0025.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
at work I measured a few concentric clutch slave cylinders to see if they'll fit my CG13 gearbox.

IMAG0011.jpg
IMAG0014.jpg
IMAG0015.jpg
IMAG0017.jpg
IMAG0019.jpg

item #510 0225 10 fits over the 27mm diameter input shaft coller but the diaphram facing collar is abit too large.
but all of them are simply too long at 57-63mm compared to the 34mm long release bearing / input shaft collar.

the other easier more reliable option is the traditional external slave cylinder operating the clutch arm.
coupled with a remote master cylinder this seems to be the best way to 'test trial' if a hydraulic clutch suits the setup and can easily revert back to cable.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
with a big spare roll of foam carpet underlay ready and afew sheets of rubber floor mats, lets begin stripping out the interior to prep & install the insulation

IMAG0031.jpg
IMAG0038.jpg
IMAG0051.jpg
IMAG0057.jpg
IMAG0058.jpg

spotting a few little rust spots around the fan inlet, bulkhead rain channel

IMAG0059.jpg
IMAG0061.jpg
IMAG0063.jpg

wondering whats inside this dimple cover?
ooh the angled foot well is hollow and allows access to the sway bar / rear bushing captive nuts

IMAG0065.jpg
IMAG0066.jpg

wirebrushing the rear floor pan and damn, more rust holes to fix

IMAG0068.jpg
IMAG0069.jpg

bent a new plates

IMAG0071.jpg
IMAG0072.jpg

tacked

IMAG0073.jpg
IMAG0074.jpg

welded

IMAG0075.jpg
IMAG0076.jpg

welded the boot hole

IMAG0070.jpg

hammerite & painted

IMAG0077.jpg
IMAG0078.jpg

now I can finally begin laying the insulation tomorrow :cool:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
interior stripped bare, the roof & floor panels resonate so much like a biscuit tin

IMAG0079.jpg
IMAG0080.jpg

the roof panel was barely attached to the cross beams with afew tiny dabs of sealant. fill the big gaps with sealant to reduce any panel movement

IMAG0081.jpg
IMAG0082.jpg
IMAG0083.jpg

begin lining the rear arches with foam carpet underlay using spray contact adhesive. it's relatively easy to fit with the foam being quite stretchy & flexible to mould around the curves

IMAG0084.jpg
IMAG0085.jpg

painted it black & stuck some on the roof

IMAG0087.jpg

the whole rear end is now insulated, looks cosy :D

IMAG0089.jpg
IMAG0090.jpg
IMAG0091.jpg
IMAG0093.jpg
IMAG0095.jpg

insulated the front of the roof

IMAG0096.jpg
IMAG0098.jpg

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
assembled the dash

IMAG0140.jpg

assembled the rear end and applied the rear floor mats

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg
IMAG0146.jpg

painted the parcel shelf black :cool:

IMAG0147.jpg
IMAG0148.jpg
IMAG0149.jpg

interior all finished, insulated, painted black and looking awesome :cool::)

IMAG0153.jpg
IMAG0156.jpg
IMAG0157.jpg
IMAG0158.jpg

went for a test drive and Wow! what a huge difference :eek:

at idle the cabin is nicely muffled from the clicking engine bay and there's just the very low freq purr of the exhaust.

at low speed it's very luxuriously quiet, the clicky injectors and turbo spool up below 0psi are barely audiable, you just get this surge of torque.
once I accelerate with higher boost, then the spooling noise comes up but still very smoothly muffled with non of that clicky diesel sound of the injectors and the exhaust ain't as boomy loud any more.

and now when cruising along motorway, especially on that insanely loud rippling carriageway to work, that deafening tyre roar is halved and exhaust no longer drones / boom / resonate inside the cabin. it's soo comfy I can actually hear my stereo, hear my voice without screaming, no longer need to wear ear plugs :love::cool:

wish I did this so many yrs ago

Wow! Just read your whole blog it's taken me over a year haha well worth it tho truly amazing work really inspiring :) only started reading it to see what gains could be achieved from fitting nistune but now I'm definitely fitting a turbo in the near future!

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Wow! Just read your whole blog it's taken me over a year haha well worth it tho truly amazing work really inspiring :) only started reading it to see what gains could be achieved from fitting nistune but now I'm definitely fitting a turbo in the near future!

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

:) thanks m8
glad the lengthy blog helped ya

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
briefly visited Jamie from 'LetsTorqueCars' to check out his recent micra purchase & to film more short videos

IMAG0183.jpg

he brought this 1996 1L 5dr Shape as a daily runner and it's in fantastic state, only done 56k and paid just £550 :D

IMAG0184.jpg
IMAG0185.jpg
IMAG0186.jpg
IMAG0187.jpg

we videoed the car doing a few cheeky launches :p

IMAG0189.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
with the video shoot & car meet out the way, it's time to replace that rusted front end before her MOT in Oct.
began stripping the front off

IMAG0199.jpg

to my shock, it turns out that the old botched front panel wasn't even fully welded on!
it was only attached with a few bolts, pop rivets and little poop tack welds :eek:

IMAG0204.jpg
IMAG0205.jpg
IMAG0206.jpg
IMAG0209.jpg

removed the rotten old front panel :poop:

IMAG0210.jpg
IMAG0211.jpg
IMAG0212.jpg

now you can see the turbo setup and the state of the chassis legs

IMAG0214.jpg
IMAG0218.jpg

so this is where the past owner had smashed the left side

IMAG0220.jpg

test fitted the new panel but something's odd

IMAG0221.jpg

the sides don't meet

IMAG0222.jpg
IMAG0224.jpg

when I bolt up one side, the other side is really misaligned

IMAG0232.jpg
IMAG0233.jpg

noticed the panel is assembled unevenly

IMAG0236.jpg
IMAG0237.jpg

chopped it into pieces to align the seperate bolt holes before it's welded back together

IMAG0239.jpg

things getting abit serious when I use the rotary laser level to measure where exactly it's deformed wonky

IMAG0245.jpg

so it turns out the reason for kasandras wonky bumper is cos the past impact had bent the LH chassis leg down by 3mm and the weak LH bumper mount by 10mm!

IMAG8776.jpg

notice the RH bumper mount is square & reinforced inside whereas the LH mount is just an open square section easily skewed downwards

IMAG8739.jpg

straightened up & reinforced the LH mount

IMAG0246.jpg
IMAG0247.jpg

this headlight stud broke off

IMAG0251.jpg

made a permenant metal bracket

IMAG0253.jpg

wasn't happy with the way this new cheap panel was slightly wonky-jigged so I drilled it all apart

IMAG0254.jpg

so now I can easily tweak the positions of everything till all the gaps are equal before I weld it back into place :cool:

IMAG0258.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
figured this mangled bit of flange where it was hit would be a waste of time to hammer into shape

IMAG0267.jpg

so I chopped it out

IMAG0269.jpg

and found these bits of the old seat rails had the same thickness plus the correct short edge to weld onto :cool:

IMAG0268.jpg

wirebrushed & primed

IMAG0270.jpg

welded up the new panel ready to grind em flat

IMAG0271.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
I'll need to tweak the bonnet struts which are touching the chassis and affecting how far the bonnet closes

IMAG0287.jpg
IMAG0288.jpg

undercoated & painted the new panel & chassis

IMAG0290.jpg
IMAG0291.jpg

repaired this damaged section

IMAG0293.jpg
IMAG0294.jpg

also repaired this old thin mangled top corner

IMAG0295.jpg
IMAG0296.jpg

fitted the front end to make sure all the gaps are equal

IMAG0297.jpg

tacked & welded into place

IMAG0298.jpg
IMAG0299.jpg

LH section

IMAG0301.jpg
IMAG0302.jpg
IMAG0303.jpg

RH section

IMAG0304.jpg
IMAG0306.jpg
IMAG0307.jpg

grinded the welds flat and painted

IMAG0309.jpg

welded these tabs to hold the wings solid from the headlights

IMAG0310.jpg
IMAG0311.jpg

yayy for the 1st time she has a nice level head

IMAG0313.jpg
IMAG0314.jpg
IMAG0315.jpg

soo exhausted but I'm at the final stages of putting it all back together, fix the downpipe, before it's due MOT on friday :cool:

IMAG0320.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
got it back together in running form,
left out the catch cans & shield panel cos that needed tweaking to fit and I really wanted to test drive her,
bonnet latch is 10mm wayyy too high and needs yet more adjustments.

IMAG0324.jpg
IMAG0323.jpg

aligned the headlights, went for a night drive, boy I missed her

IMAG0326.jpg

soo much more to finish but she's almost ready for MOT on friday :cool:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
bonnet latch was sitting wayy too high making the bonnet stick up by 10-15mm

IMAG0328.jpg
IMAG0329.jpg

discovered this top section for the latch was right-angled too steep & high

IMAG0330.jpg

angled it down 45deg with a few sweet hammer blows and it fits back :cool:

IMAG0331.jpg

front end assembled

IMAG0332.jpg
IMAG0334.jpg

ooh yeah looking spot on shweet parked at work :cool::cool:

IMAG0335.jpg
IMAG0337.jpg
IMAG0338.jpg
IMAG0339.jpg
IMAG0341.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
beginning to suffer from the common old brittle expansion tank :rolleyes:

IMAG0342.jpg
IMAG0343.jpg

with her MOT tomorrow, thought it's time to replace her rusty old downpipe flexi-pipe. how hard can that be?

IMAG0344.jpg
IMAG0345.jpg

top section of all the stainless strands have broken apart from the constant flexing

IMAG0346.jpg

chopped & prepped the new section

IMAG0348.jpg

welded

IMAG0352.jpg

but a simple 2hr job actually ended up as a frustrating 6hr PITA cos the flange was off-angle by 1-2deg so had to mark / cut / reweld several times before I ended up welding it in-situ with pigeon poop at desperate times :(

IMAG0353.jpg

fingers crossed at her MOT

IMAG0355.jpg

she passed! barely :D

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ah shiiyte
bad news tonight. was just leaving town heading towards a local Kuruma UK car meet, boosting uphill to overtake when suddenly a loud crunching noise, some metallic bits falling down the car (I feared for bent rods etc), lurching with loss of power & misfiring, bright oil light! :eek: lots of smoke and really bad sound of knocking bottom end :poop:

pulled over asap in a cloud of smoke with the familiar sound of silence and dash lights and thinking Oh Fcuk what now?

IMAG0359.jpg

she quickly drained all her oil down her pants :confused:

IMAG0360.jpg
IMAG0362.jpg

called up Greenflag to recover her back home. my Odyssey gel battery is rubbish with lights, it barely lasts long enough with hazards till the recovery came, had to keep it going with the emergency lithium jump starter pack.
dad soon came in the peugeot to provide lighting.
and the angel friend Kim arrived with the ohh soo essential cuppa tea :D:coffee:

IMAG0363.jpg

nice lad Wayne helped get her home 3 miles away & home sweet home :cool:

IMAG0364.jpg
IMAG0365.jpg
IMAG0366.jpg

soon see what the damage to my wallet will be tomorrow :rolleyes::unsure::confused: