• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
needed to secure these catch cans better than zip ties to stop them moving around

IMAG9568.jpg

welded on some mounting brackets

IMAG9570.jpg
IMAG9575.jpg

welded the captive nuts on the backplate

IMAG9571.jpg

rounded off the sharp edge and stiffened the plate

IMAG9573.jpg
IMAG9574.jpg

painted black for stealth :cool:

IMAG9581.jpg
IMAG9585.jpg
IMAG9587.jpg
IMAG9588.jpg
IMAG9590.jpg

added reflective insulation backing to help keep it cooler from the hot turbo

IMAG9591.jpg
IMAG9593.jpg

much better looking and solid

IMAG9594.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
with the new catch cans in the way, I needed to reroute & replace the old sticky & rusted bonnet cable

IMAG9597.jpg
IMAG9598.jpg

cut the retaining collar off the handle mount to release the outer cable

IMAG9599.jpg
IMAG9600.jpg

inner cable is crimped to the handle so I'll have to figure a way of attaching the new cable on

IMAG9601.jpg

drilled a new cable hole and locked it at several points with screws

IMAG9603.jpg

trimmed a slot to clear the screws and reinstalled the cable

IMAG9604.jpg
IMAG9607.jpg

remounted the bonnet release cable at a higher angle to clear the catch cans

IMAG9605.jpg
IMAG9609.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
during the trip to Brussels, my m8 needed new mounts for his shower sliding glass doors, which broke and is hard to find replacements

38419274_280743695856559_7353244363079548928_n.jpg
38500789_1877581219212361_1696248474007240704_n.jpg

so I modelled a stronger piece

shower door bracket 2.jpg

and printed a few sets to replace all the mounts :cool:

IMAG9633.jpg
IMAG9634.jpg
IMAG9636.jpg

old vs new

IMAG9639.jpg
IMAG9640.jpg
IMAG9644.jpg

precision :cool:

IMAG9661.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
noticed the new steel catch cans at the front ain't condensing much and I suspect some of the flimsy old soft silicone hoses I used were kinking slightly at tight turns and restricting flow.

so I needed some reinforced but flexible hose like those found in conduit cables or washing machines or vacuum cleaners to maintain an open round shape for good flow.
alot of DIY places were selling a roll for £30+ :oops: but found em for £2 in wilko :D(y)

IMAG9662.jpg
IMAG9663.jpg

the 20mm corrugated hose themselves were abit too big for the metal ports but figured of wedging the silicone hoses tight into the conduit ends which then fits snug onto the metal pipe ends :cool:

IMAG9664.jpg
IMAG9665.jpg

now it looks so much neater

IMAG9666.jpg
IMAG9667.jpg
IMAG9670.jpg

went for a test drive and Yes! it's worked. condensing noticibly more oil vapour now :D

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
with the new catch cans in the way, I needed to reroute & replace the old sticky & rusted bonnet cable

View attachment 58412View attachment 58413

cut the retaining collar off the handle mount to release the outer cable

View attachment 58414View attachment 58415

inner cable is crimped to the handle so I'll have to figure a way of attaching the new cable on

View attachment 58416

drilled a new cable hole and locked it at several points with screws

View attachment 58417

trimmed a slot to clear the screws and reinstalled the cable

View attachment 58418View attachment 58420

remounted the bonnet release cable at a higher angle to clear the catch cans

View attachment 58419View attachment 58411
Very neat Paul :cool:.
Out of interest how are you planning to empty the catch cans?
had you thought of putting one of these....
Drain cock.jpg

or similar in the bottom of each can?
Instead of welding nuts onto sheet metal you really need to invest a few pounds on one of THESE kits.............

MicraPRO

Part Of The Furniture
Damn Paul! Finally had a catch up reading. I've missed loads, stay positive about your personal life we all have darker patches is how we learn from them that matters. Kasandra looks amazing an absolute testament to the man that built her! ?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Very neat Paul :cool:.
Out of interest how are you planning to empty the catch cans?
had you thought of putting one of these....

or similar in the bottom of each can?
Instead of welding nuts onto sheet metal you really need to invest a few pounds on one of THESE kits.............

at the moment I just remove the cans and pour into a measuring jug to accurately monitor how much it collects over time.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Damn Paul! Finally had a catch up reading. I've missed loads, stay positive about your personal life we all have darker patches is how we learn from them that matters. Kasandra looks amazing an absolute testament to the man that built her! ?

Tom!! missed ya m8 :p
a ton has happened for the past year both personally & with kasandra, mostly positives :)
much better with help from pills and seem to have alot more luck this year.
you seen the recent video interviews bout her? ain't it just simply awesome :p
hope ur doing well too :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Heya everyone, it's been awhile since my updates with lots happening :cool:

Adjustable Dump Valve

I've been reading that the springs in dump/BOV valves should normally be tuned to keep it closed during idle vacuum so it doesn't suck in unfiltered air but light enough to allow excess boost to vent out or when the manifold has alot of vacuum from closing throttle above idle.

tested the preload and the saab 9000 dump valve only holds about 10psi by itself (boost pressure on the vac line helps keep the valve shut during boost)

IMAG9672.jpg

cutting it open to see what can be made adjustable inside

IMAG9675.jpg
IMAG9678.jpg

made this V-clamp to hold the case back together

IMAG9679.jpg
IMAG9680.jpg
IMAG9681.jpg

IMAG9683.jpg

thinking what if I add an extra adjustable spring inside to push harder on the valve?

IMAG9690.jpg
IMAG9693.jpg
IMAG9694.jpg
IMAG9696.jpg
IMAG9697.jpg
IMAG9699.jpg

IMAG9700.jpg

the home made spring didn't hold up (needed a proper spring).

so what if I used pneumatic pressure to adjust the preload?
so I inserted a tyre valve

IMAG9708.jpg
IMAG9710.jpg

machined a small piston

IMAG9713.jpg
IMAG9714.jpg
IMAG9716.jpg

assembled it to test but the plastic cylinder wasn't smooth enough and kept getting scratched & slowly leaking

IMAG9717.jpg
IMAG9720.jpg

so I machined a smooth, solid & tight fitting aluminium lining & piston with lip & o-ring seals

IMAG9721.jpg
IMAG9724.jpg
IMAG9725.jpg

once again getting it to seal air tight but loose enough to allow the piston to move was difficult

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
at work by chance I found this spare free spring which was the same diameter but twice the free length and maybe stiffer?

IMAG9729.jpg

machined a threaded BOV casing so I can adjust how much the springs are squeezed

IMAG9768.jpg
IMAG9769.jpg
IMAG9771.jpg

the new spring might actually be softer with more coils there and the longer compressed height actually prevents the valve from fully opening, making it squirrel.

I'll need to buy a set of assorted spring rates soon

IMAG9773.jpg

to attached the outlet more securely & smoothly to the hose I machined this AN fitting onto the BOV

IMAG9774.jpg
IMAG9775.jpg
IMAG9776.jpg
IMAG9777.jpg
IMAG9779.jpg
IMAG9780.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
my old trusty mini LED torch was getting abit sloppy loose so I decided to machine this beefy new enclosure to house the components solidly

IMAG9737.jpg
IMAG9738.jpg
IMAG9739.jpg
IMAG9740.jpg
IMAG9741.jpg
IMAG9735.jpg

it works soo much better, looks good and durable :cool::)

IMAG9734.jpg
IMAG9730.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
always struggled to see the joint line whenever I weld with my auto tint mask so I modified this LED light onto the MIG gun to light up the area

IMAG9742.jpg
IMAG9743.jpg
IMAG9744.jpg
IMAG9755.jpg
IMAG9756.jpg
IMAG9758.jpg
IMAG9760.jpg
IMAG9761.jpg

helps with positioning but it ain't bright enough compared to the welding arc so still can't see much

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Helmholtz 1/4 Wavelength Exhaust Resonator

wanna do something about silencing this exhaust which has this annoying LOUD boomy resonance when cruising at 3000-3500rpm
I cut apart my old de-cat pipe

IMAG9783.jpg
IMAG9786.jpg
IMAG9787.jpg

welded a new decat and added this closed sleeve pipe over another pipe to let it slide along & tune like a trombone

IMAG9791.jpg

space is tight so I welded this 90deg elbow

IMAG9794.jpg
IMAG9796.jpg
IMAG9800.jpg

and welded it together like this

IMAG9803.jpg
IMAG9809.jpg

quickly added this bicycle cable to manually move the sleeve pipe along the resonator pipe while cruising down the motorway to see if it actually changes the sound

IMAG9810.jpg
IMAG9813.jpg

but nope no difference. maybe it needs a Helmholtz chamber at the end?
or the bend is too sharp & close to the main pipe?
or the turbo already absorbed most of the pulses and it's the powerflow back box that's booming inside the hollow interior?
more testing needed

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
good news personally,

my good car m8s Dave & Nigel who I often see at the weekly car meets and works at a motorfactor had invited me to help work there as a delivery driver which I was happy to do :D:cool:

after dave showing me around on the 1st day, I quickly got the hang of the processes, locations, driving the van.
apart from being exhausted driving around all day, min wage and lifting heavy brake discs, hubs, water pumps etc I'm enjoying it :):D(y)

exhaust hiccuping probably from dirty injectors so trying out this redex a m8 suggested

IMAG9726.jpg

at work brought a few service bits at m8s rates for kasandra :D
trying out this lucas engine oil stabliser it's soo thick like treacle, hope it helps reduce the burning oil past the rings.

IMAG9821.jpg

the rubber lid seal on the catchcans were badly warping / curling up from the vapours so I made some card seals

IMAG9822.jpg
IMAG9823.jpg

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
When welding now I used a LED work light shining on the area I am welding. This helps me see what I am working on with the self dimming visor in place, obviously when actually welding it doesn't make any difference but it really helps with getting the weld started in the right place. Very useful when working under a car, which I have done plenty of recently on the Micra seam welding almost any seam I can find under the car....

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
When welding now I used a LED work light shining on the area I am welding. This helps me see what I am working on with the self dimming visor in place, obviously when actually welding it doesn't make any difference but it really helps with getting the weld started in the right place. Very useful when working under a car, which I have done plenty of recently on the Micra seam welding almost any seam I can find under the car....

that's the issue I'm having.
before welding, I can see the path
when I start welding and it tints, I see nothing but the hot molton pool

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
well this bloomin sucks aass.

at the motorfactor shop I work as a driver & stock control 9:30 - 5:30 mon-fri,
paid minimum wage cash-in-hand on the friday 1 week behind,
no contracts signed,
BUTTT he said for the first 12months, staff are not given any holidays!
what the flying faap!? working full time for pennies with no rests till it kills me again? I thought I left this sort of dodgy employment terms behind me? is this even legal?

so I don't get any days off to spend with a potential lady friend this summer? :cry: this is bollucks. I'm gonna have to move my aass and get a proper paying job with proper legal holidays etc. I'm sick of being a cheap slave again :rolleyes:

Even in UK ?
I thought that was possible only in Italy .. (where i live. ..)
Leave it Polly.

Inviato dal mio SM-J500FN utilizzando Tapatalk

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
Totally not legal (I work in management employing people), there are legal rights for employees and holidays. Also get a contract signed or they can drop you in a second. They are dodgy....

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Totally not legal (I work in management employing people), there are legal rights for employees and holidays. Also get a contract signed or they can drop you in a second. They are dodgy....

think I need to visit citizens advice bureau to see what my rights are, where I stand, what the legalities are cos nothing's been signed. just verbal agreement. he also asked for my last P45 for some reason and we're gonna visit the accountant tomorrow. dunno if this is about setting up the payment details or about employment contract?

if I'm just helping out at work with no written contract and paid cash but doing similar level of work as the other employees did who are on a contracted payroll, am I a freelancer or temp worker? dunno the correct term

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
well this bloomin sucks aass.

at the motorfactor shop I work as a driver & stock control 9:30 - 5:30 mon-fri,
paid minimum wage cash-in-hand on the friday 1 week behind,
no contracts signed,
BUTTT he said for the first 12months, staff are not given any holidays!
what the flying faap!? working full time for pennies with no rests till it kills me again? I thought I left this sort of dodgy employment terms behind me? is this even legal?

so I don't get any days off to spend with a potential lady friend this summer? :cry: this is bollucks. I'm gonna have to move my aass and get a proper paying job with proper legal holidays etc. I'm sick of being a cheap slave again :rolleyes:
Where I work over summers when I'm not in college, I get what works out as a day off for every 3 full weeks worked, which is the minimum here in Ireland

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ok I cleared things up bout the holidays.

the shop manager guy who interviewed and told me I had zero holidays for first 12mths was talking out of his orifice abit :p:cautious::unsure:
when he was off the other day, I discussed the issue with both my colleagues & finally our old accountant guy who does all the paperwork & knows the legal stuff.

basically my work m8s are on the same non-written/signed contract as me and have the normal 28d holidays, so for the manager guy to state zero holidays throughout a full 1st year is odd, incorrect and if true would be illegal.

but the full answer is that yes new employees start off day1 with zero entitled holidays but we earn our holidays as we work @ 2.3 holidays per month (therefore 28d statutory annual leave).

so after working here for a month I'll be allowed upto 2 days off, enough to take either a fri or mon off to spend long weekend with my new friend :cool:
can't take fri's off yet cos we're short staffed so I'll have to chat with colleagues & see if he could cover me to take 1 fri off in few months time.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
old plugs were getting abit crusty & worn, especially #3

IMAG9825.jpg

fresh shiny & gapped plugs

IMAG9826.jpg

replaced the fuel filter

IMAG9828.jpg
IMAG9829.jpg

recent filter now appears much cleaner after replacing the rusted filler pipe few months ago

IMAG9832.jpg
IMAG9833.jpg

replacing the parents pug 307 absolutely filthy blocked pollen filter

IMAG9836.jpg

my clutch cable was now getting more sticky, more frequently.
so I purchased a new cable at work

IMAG9837.jpg
IMAG9838.jpg

comparing old & new cable. new one has a slightly longer outer cable but shorter inner. so the adjustment range will be abit more snug

IMAG9839.jpg
IMAG9840.jpg
IMAG9841.jpg

and wow what a difference some fresh slippery cable lining makes. it slides soo smoothly with no sticky binding at all :D

IMAG9842.jpg
IMAG9844.jpg

straight to the Cafe meet after finishing work @ 6pm.
Peters Passat had blown it's boost pipe off so I helped him reclamp it

IMAG9845.jpg

me & Frankie sharing our big girthy tail pipes and then I took her for a ride in kasandra :cool: she likes it :p

IMAG9846.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
the temporary plastic gear selector bushings I machined few months ago are getting abit sloppy when cold and squeaky tight when warmed up by exhaust so it's time to machine a proper replacement.

clamped two short perpendicular pipes on the vice for welding, each inserted with a thick pipe inside to prevent the vice from crushing it oval and also as a headsoak so I don't blow holes

IMAG9851.jpg
IMAG9852.jpg

machined the bores round & smooth

IMAG9853.jpg

machined a precise fitting steel inner bushing so it's just tight enough with no play but still loose enough to rotate freely and won't wear out quickly.
the o-rings on both ends keeps the grease inside the bushes away from the outside elements and also cusions against vibrations

IMAG9854.jpg

I didn't have any solid round bar large enough to make the 20mm x 8mm inner bush so I machined some plastic bar to fill in the bolt hole gap

IMAG9855.jpg

finished joint for the selector rod

IMAG9858.jpg

IMAG9859.jpg

wow the gear stick now feels both precise and silky smooth :cool: perfect

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
At Dyno Remaps with Cleveland Car Scene club

had a car meet at a local dyno shop in stockton, be interesting to see how kasandra performs nowadays

40072678_10155357897576017_6774930779064500224_n.jpg
40138501_10155357898401017_4684983612473344000_n.jpg
40158624_10155357897996017_206713503191400448_n.jpg
40095226_10155357898561017_6464459112338948096_n.jpg
40112681_10155357898851017_5061576300720816128_n.jpg
40137723_10155357898986017_4241123399838990336_n.jpg
40143773_10155357897666017_7092574860785745920_n.jpg
2018 bay.jpg
40121342_10155357898091017_1882540086310993920_n.jpg
2018 dyno.jpg

the results between her early 2011 setup and todays is interesting :cool:

old vs new.jpg

so the current refined setup with a fresher turbo, engine, neater plumbing, cooler intake and de-cat, the low-end is dramatically improved with torque coming really early and over a lot more range from 3.5k - 5k, even though it's the same spec turbo?
but after 5k it begins to lose steam?

forged piston refined vs old tune.jpg

here's a look at how the turbo used to run with standard cast Alu pistons v/s stronger low-comp forged pistons. Ed could extract more juice out of the forged setup probably cos of reduced pre-detonation.

cast vs forged piston tune.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
the 10yr old PAS has been whining slightly for awhile and I always have to blip the throttle whenever I'm stationary before I can turn it full lock.
so with fresh PAS oil I removed the pump to inspect if it could be worn

IMAG9879.jpg
IMAG9880.jpg
IMAG9882.jpg
IMAG9883.jpg

also thought of machining this pulley a smaller radius to spin faster so I don't have to blip it during idle to turn the steering BUT I couldn't figure out how on earth I remove it?
the allen fastener is truely seized, the petruding cylinder doesn't loosen, I even tried grinding it down to the fastener but still appears solid? meh left it alone

IMAG9881.jpg

this is the high pressure side with sprung regulator

IMAG9885.jpg

the vane pump inside is similar to the oil pump

IMAG9888.jpg

not much wear other than little pitting near the port openings that the vanes slide over. cleaned & reassembled back

IMAG9889.jpg
IMAG9893.jpg
IMAG9895.jpg
IMAG9896.jpg
IMAG9897.jpg
IMAG9899.jpg

filled with fresh oil, bled the system, drove out to test and wow just by changing the oil it now operates so quiet and provides so much better assistance even at idle :cool:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
the old crossmember is crumbling with holes so it's time to get this new front panel and finally straighten up her wonky front face for the 1st time :D:cool:

IMAG9912.jpg
IMAG9919.jpg
IMAG9920.jpg

this panel even featured all the required tow eye bolt threads which the old one didn't have and various bolts included

IMAG9921.jpg
IMAG9922.jpg

gonna be alot of work prepping this panel before I even begin.
including straightening all the bent bits during transit, extra seam welding a few weak places, welding up all the un-used open holes, cutting sections to clear the IC plumbing, stripping off paint where it's gonna be welded, undercoat the whole panel, etc etc

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Yay! shiny stainless exhaust resonator arrived :D:D:love:
it's 2.25" pipe x 4" diameter x 22" long

IMAG9940.jpg

interesting to note that they expand the ends of the perferated tube to wedge/lock it against the casing and it's filled with I presume stainless wool

IMAG9941.jpg
IMAG9942.jpg
IMAG9944.jpg

amusing that it's the same size as my powerflow tip :LOL:

IMAG9945.jpg

removed the mid-pipe & decat and deleted the 1/4 wavelength resonator tube I made

IMAG9948.jpg
IMAG9950.jpg
IMAG9952.jpg

cut & welded the new resonator onto the mid-pipe

IMAG9949.jpg
IMAG9953.jpg
IMAG9955.jpg
IMAG9956.jpg
IMAG9957.jpg

reinstalled

IMAG9958.jpg
IMAG9961.jpg
IMAG9963.jpg

so the test drive verdict is that I think it slightly muffles the mid-high freq from the tail pipe and the rear end is no longer as boomy bass-y as the front but the very low freq during idle is more noticable and now most of the deafening noise is actually through the bulkhead and ridiculous tyre roar from the bare footwell/arches.

so sound insulation & better tyres are to come

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
so this is where I work and the corsa diesel van I drive

IMAG9964.jpg
IMAG9965.jpg

organising all the warehouse stock while also researching into which lower arm I could modify to safely reposition the front wheels 10mm further outwards to stop it rubbing at full lock and allow more camber :cool:

IMAG9975.jpg
IMAG9976.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Toyos are running abit thin and begining to struggle, time for the last swap front - rear

IMAG9977.jpg

front tyres close to min, very unusual wear on the front right tyres inner shoulder? maybe from repeatedly rubbing the chassis during full right lock?

IMAG9981.jpg
IMAG9978.jpg

rear's still healthy and swapped to the front

IMAG9980.jpg
IMAG9979.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
sister was replacing her carpets so I grabbed the underfloor insulation she was gonna chuck away so I can insulate the micra again.
I first made a piece for the boot floor

IMAG9982.jpg
IMAG9983.jpg
IMAG9984.jpg

visited another car guy over the weekend and we had such an awesome long chat till it was late & dark :cool:

IMAG9985.jpg
IMAG9986.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
this silly remote boot release cable mechanism where the little finger near the hook loop flicks the tab under the boot lock to release tends to stick / jam / seize which was annoying :cautious:

IMAG9988.jpg

so decided to reroute the old cable up through the boot lid alongside the boot wiring loom and connect it directly to the lock

IMAG9987.jpg
IMAG9989.jpg

trimmed this block off the cable which used to open the fuel cap and joined both outer cables so it has full length of travel

IMAG9990.jpg

connected the release cable to where the key barrel used to work and now it opens more reliably :)

IMAG9991.jpg
IMAG9992.jpg

sunday car meet near transporter bridge :cool:

IMAG9993.jpg

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
the old crossmember is crumbling with holes so it's time to get this new front panel and finally straighten up her wonky front face for the 1st time :D:cool:

View attachment 58952View attachment 58953View attachment 58954

this panel even featured all the required tow eye bolt threads which the old one didn't have and various bolts included

View attachment 58955View attachment 58956

gonna be alot of work prepping this panel before I even begin.
including straightening all the bent bits during transit, extra seam welding a few weak places, welding up all the un-used open holes, cutting sections to clear the IC plumbing, stripping off paint where it's gonna be welded, undercoat the whole panel, etc etc

Genuine Nissan or knock-off? If it's the latter, DON'T jack it up using the front jacking point or you'll turn it into a banana without additional reinforcement.

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
Genuine Nissan or knock-off? If it's the latter, DON'T jack it up using the front jacking point or you'll turn it into a banana without additional reinforcement.
Reinforce it before fitting it. I did that to ours, and it has been an ace front sump guard mount. Has taken huge forces over the years on WRGB.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member

most likely a copy part at £34 from ebay. hehe I'd never jack up from the middle of the crossmember whether it's genuine or not cos it's such a weak point in the front structure for supporting the car imo, especially if the crossmember's made of paper thin steel.