• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Paul, what fuel to air ratio is your engine running at? Those white plugs suggest a really lean mixture, I would have preferred to see a very light brown on the plugs.............

14.7afr during closed loop light loads and down to 10.5afr during full boost full load.

remember that the engine burns alot of oil that has gone past the rings or bores and onto the piston tops, depositing white ash onto the plugs.

DEdgeMac

Buy & Sell Member
Read a large portion of this thread and you should be very pleased with what you've done.
Impressed by your attention to detail.
You've clearly got very good intentions, so don't let other intentions effect your mood or solidarity,
Keep on going mate.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Read a large portion of this thread and you should be very pleased with what you've done.
Impressed by your attention to detail.
You've clearly got very good intentions, so don't let other intentions effect your mood or solidarity,
Keep on going mate.
Cheers m8. All the +ve comments from everyone along the journey means alot to me

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
12-05-2018 North East Auto Show in Sedgefield

Arrived in sedgefield at 9 to gather with the CCS group

micra (0).jpg

made our way over to the horse race course venue

32283673_10215648208869451_7974624486114721792_o.jpg

was a massive long queue there in the sun

micra (1).jpg

we all parked up in this cosy tight layout and wiped our cars clean ready for the show & judges

micra (2).jpg
micra (3).jpg
micra (4).jpg
micra (5).jpg
micra (6).jpg
micra (7).jpg
micra (8).jpg
micra (9).jpg
micra (10).jpg
micra (11).jpg
micra (12).jpg
micra (13).jpg

spotted a couple of K11

micra (14).jpg
micra (15).jpg

this facelift has the SR20 swap and I thought I recognised those 3D printed strut top caps :D

micra (16).jpg
micra (17).jpg
micra (18).jpg
micra (19).jpg
micra (20).jpg

met up with Kevin in his red pickup

micra (21).jpg
micra (22).jpg

amusing scooby stands

micra (23).jpg
micra (24).jpg
micra (25).jpg
micra (26).jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
figure it's good time to repair the rusty front end so removed the wings & bumper to assess it

micra (45).jpg

need to respray the intercooler

micra (46).jpg

the inner RH chassis ain't too bad

micra (47).jpg

the inner LH rail will need a little section welding up

micra (48).jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
wirebrushed the bits of rust off the arches and gave it a rough lick of paint. it'll be neater in future once I get more paint.

IMAG8763.jpg
IMAG8772.jpg

removed the front panel shield to repaint. now the turbo setup is revealed too

IMAG8764.jpg
IMAG8767.jpg
IMAG8768.jpg

freshened up the intercooler & front panel shield

IMAG8770.jpg
IMAG8771.jpg

all reassembled abit neater :cool:

IMAG8774.jpg
IMAG8776.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
the E85 club car meet was relocated from Dragonville park to nearby teesside airport.
gathered jack, conner, craig & kurtis near wingate

IMAG8778.jpg

drove down to teesside park meeting dave & frankie

IMAG8780.jpg

we all arrived at The Powerhouse which is right next to teesside airport and organisers got us to park in a clear area right near the entrance :cool:

IMAG8783.jpg
IMAG8784.jpg
IMAG8786.jpg

enjoying the warm day browsing around the cars

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
parents pug 307 has developed an exhaust leak coming from the front end

IMAG8787.jpg

removed the downpipe to find a massive crack where it's been welded to the bracket mount

IMAG8792.jpg
IMAG8793.jpg

area around the factory weld was either rusted away thin or it had serious weld undercut?

IMAG8794.jpg
IMAG8795.jpg

rather than waste time/money buying another downpipe, I just quickly welded the rusted thin remaining metal back together, neatness ain't important :p

IMAG8797.jpg
IMAG8798.jpg

no longer blows now BUT just as I was working on the exhaust, the god damn bloody neighbours kids came out the back alley to play and as usual they cycle & kick balls RIGHT next to the car until I heard BANG! what the hell

kid pointed that they accidentally broke the rear light with the bicycle FFS! :rolleyes::mad:
rang insurance and they can only log the incident and we sort it privately, but if we still wanted to claim then it'd cost £360 excess to have garage proper replace it and just for a £45 part lmao :ROFLMAO:
the neighbour said they'll pay the bill

IMAG8799.jpg

got new one for £45

IMAG8804.jpg
IMAG8805.jpg

compared to my car, replacing the 307 rear lights is easiest thing ever, just 2 nuts, slip new one on, done (y)
no messy tigerseal stuff.

IMAG8806.jpg
IMAG8807.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
:eek: oh my :eek: I heard someone mentioning bout it but didn't realise it was that extreme! that corner is notorious for lifting up on 2 wheels

Last edited by a moderator:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Did you see this happen by any chance at teeside? He had a bit of a moment as they sayView attachment 57287

Sent from my SM-G903F using Micra Sports Club mobile app
Did something very similar, about 20 years ago, in a Pug 205, on the road, avoiding a lorry that pulled out in front of me, all most a 'brown trouser moment'! To say that I was relieved when it dropped back down onto four wheels is something of an understatement!

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Did something very similar, about 20 years ago, in a Pug 205, on the road, avoiding a lorry that pulled out in front of me, all most a 'brown trouser moment'! To say that I was relieved when it dropped back down onto four wheels is something of an understatement!
205s have a reputation for being skittish at the best of times. I own the big sister of one, the 309, although it's a base spec diesel

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
205s have a reputation for being skittish at the best of times. I own the big sister of one, the 309, although it's a base spec diesel

I'm familiar with the 309 Liam, we had a 309 1.6 as a second car about 25 years ago, always fancied the 309 GTi Goodwood, they were too dear then and as rare as rocking horse droppings now (and even more expensive!)
Pug 309 GTi Goodwood.jpg

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
I'm familiar with the 309 Liam, we had a 309 1.6 as a second car about 25 years ago, always fancied the 309 GTi Goodwood, they were too dear then and as rare as rocking horse droppings now (and even more expensive!)View attachment 57303
They're great aren't they. So different to modern cars. I have to wait until I'm 23 to drive ours again but I'm looking forward to it already. The gti are brilliant, and the goodwood is a dream car of mine. A lad called Aaron owns that one in your picture, it's named Merv

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
2018-05-26 Teesside Autodrome - Evening Trackday

was a sunny day, fitted the track wheels & cameras and thought with 2hrs to go, I have time to change the oil & filter

IMAG8809.jpg

went to halfords to get a filter but once I drove out of the store waiting at a traffic light...turns green, press clutch & BANG!! pedal drops to the floor :eek::eek:

oh crap I lost clutch & drive. cars behind me, panic! I let the car crawl downhill and just managed to pull onto the grass.
hazard lights, remove clutch cable and Damn! the bracket end of the cable broke off under the strain :oops:

abit stressed with 1hr left before trackday, I scrambled to repair it with zip ties just enough to nurse her home

IMAG8810.jpg

quickly changed the oil, whip out the broken cable and tack weld it together. does the job, will have to make a stronger end another day.

IMAG8811.jpg
IMAG8812.jpg

arrived at the track just in time and oddly it's absolutely jammed full tday, probably due to bank holiday.

IMAG8814.jpg

17:00 Sighting warm up laps
15/30 dampers
60/40 brake bias
80% fuel
2.3/2.7bars cold pressure

forgot to bring afew SD cards for the onboard cameras so I had to dash over to Sainsbury to buy some, waited forever for the useless checkout guy to untag the security box :cautious:

17:56 Session 1 with Jamie
Jamie from LetsTorqueCars managed to arrive and got ready to ride passenger as his 1st time ever and we began filming :cool:

IMAG8815.jpg

15/30 dampers
60/40 brake bias
80% fuel
2.3/2.7 bars cold

Lap Times:
1:00 traffic

0:56
0:57
0:58 traffic

Remarks:
3:50 brakes up to temp
4:35 move bias 55/45 f/r
5:11 brake entry oversteer
5:45 discs begin glowing
- Less body roll
- Turns in sharper

once we returned back into the paddock, afew curious ppl & familiar friends popped over to have a look and chat :)
met up with Jules and omg her adorable pet Shiba! posing with kasandra :love:

IMAG8819.jpg
IMAG8822.jpg

looks exactly like the shiba dog meme :ROFLMAO:

dogesmall.jpg

it was soo busy with the grid locked queues and soon close to finishing, decided to call it the day and pack up

IMAG8825.jpg

Frankie took me to a redcar kabab shop and I had this simply enormous delicious parmo & chips :eek::love: a fitting end to a nice day :cool:

IMAG8828.jpg
IMAG8829.jpg
IMAG8831.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
tyres barely worn nice & even

IMAG8848.jpg

pads are the usual bit crusty

IMAG8840.jpg
IMAG8835.jpg

rear pads hardly wear at all

IMAG8846.jpg

discs ok just scored slightly

IMAG8842.jpg
IMAG8836.jpg

both oil's are well due a change

IMAG8853.jpg

engine oil immediately black from last nights short trackday. quite old gear oil is very dark & silvery

IMAG8852.jpg

normal amount of metal on the drain plug

IMAG8850.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
little local car meet at Morton Park darlington

IMAG8858.jpg
IMAG8860.jpg

spotted Hetty with her really mint mk2 golf she just brought. 1990 61k mostly been stored in a barn and it looks brand new :cool:

IMAG8862.jpg
IMAG8863.jpg

Mmmm Mk2...I had two 1600cc non-turbo diesel ones, slow but I liked them. I got rid of the second one after the t-belt went, only to find out later it's a non interference setup. I sometimes catch a glimpse of her on a moonlit night, I suspect she hides out in a barn, encumbered by tax or insurance.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Dextron II (Red stuff) is about £25 for 5L. But we have a torsen (gear) diff not a plate one.
I'll recheck on what Gripper recommends.
the diff preload is now totally worn out n needs rebuilding but a new set of clutches cost £200 (dunno if it's enough plates for dual sided clutch packs or just one sided like mine) so it's very low priority.

lsd oil was really old n dirty n making diff abit loose. just poured the remaining fresh oil into gearbox and it's improved the locking action during t-junctions slightly :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
this bank holiday morning while laying in bed, hayley messaged me saying drift practice is happening at teesside, you coming?
soo quickly dragged outa bed, little brekky

IMAG8864.jpg

pop over to teesside autodrome

IMAG8865.jpg

to watch, listen & smelll some lovely drift car action :cool:

IMAG8866.jpg
IMAG8867.jpg
IMAG8873.jpg
IMAG8874.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
weekly local meet at The Cafe

IMAG8878.jpg
IMAG8879.jpg

catch can only caught 50ml after 1000miles due to the warmer days

IMAG8885.jpg
can.jpg

LowRider was after the ID code from various engine blocks for research and I never had a photo of mine

.jpg

so with me endoscope mine says 52B #2

IMAG8881.jpg
IMAG8884.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
the printed catch can screw lids has soaked abit of oil vapour, swelling up, jamming and cracking so it's time to replace it

IMAG8890.jpg

printed a new set

IMAG8889.jpg
IMAG8892.jpg

good as new :cool:

IMAG8895.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
this has been bugging me ever since I brought the car 9yrs ago, the rear reg was mounted wonky, off-centre and delaminating

IMAG8896.jpg

time to get a fresh one down halfords for £16. seen that they simply print the numbers out nowadays rather than the old slow method of manually placing each letter by hand before the press

IMAG8897.jpg

but annoyingly the label wasn't stuck centered to the acrylic plate, leaving this exposed bit of plastic :rolleyes:

IMAG8898.jpg

fixed that by milling it with my dremel

IMAG8899.jpg

peeled off the old filthy tatty reg.
hmm judging by the multiple foam pads, I wonder if this boot lid's been replaced and reg swapped over (since she used to be an automatic and involved in front crash) or if the reg has been replaced?

IMAG8901.jpg

a good clean with toffee wheel & solvent. that boot probably hasn't been this clean since new

IMAG8904.jpg

aligning the new plate. I noticed from the curvature of the reflection vs the boot handle that the left side of the stamping indent is a slightly different radius to the right side and not perfect equal? abit awquid to figure where to center the plate

IMAG8905.jpg

yess that's much better with a symmetric & sharp looking reg :cool::cool:
it's a fraction 1mm to the left but meh

IMAG8906.jpg
IMAG8909.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
met up with Jamie from Lets Torque Cars to transfer our recent trackday footages

IMAG8926.jpg

then we went to this totally empty, flat & quiet car park behind Redcar Racecourse on the calm sunny day to film our 3rd video where I give a detailed walk-around of her features. it's such an awesome spot for a photoshoot :cool::cool:

IMAG8910.jpg
IMAG8916.jpg
IMAG8915.jpg
IMAG8919.jpg
IMAG8921.jpg
IMAG8925.jpg

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
this has been bugging me ever since I brought the car 9yrs ago, the rear reg was mounted wonky, off-centre and delaminating

View attachment 57471

time to get a fresh one down halfords for £16. seen that they simply print the numbers out nowadays rather than the old slow method of manually placing each letter by hand before the press

View attachment 57472

but annoyingly the label wasn't stuck centered to the acrylic plate, leaving this exposed bit of plastic :rolleyes:

View attachment 57473

fixed that by milling it with my dremel

View attachment 57474

peeled off the old filthy tatty reg.
hmm judging by the multiple foam pads, I wonder if this boot lid's been replaced and reg swapped over (since she used to be an automatic and involved in front crash) or if the reg has been replaced?

View attachment 57475

a good clean with toffee wheel & solvent. that boot probably hasn't been this clean since new

View attachment 57476

aligning the new plate. I noticed from the curvature of the reflection vs the boot handle that the left side of the stamping indent is a slightly different radius to the right side and not perfect equal? abit awquid to figure where to center the plate

View attachment 57477

yess that's much better with a symmetric & sharp looking reg :cool::cool:
it's a fraction 1mm to the left but meh

View attachment 57478View attachment 57470

For £16 Halfords should of made you a new one for free for that error on their part pal

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
time to strengthen the flimsy bracket ends on the clutch cable so it doesn't snap again

IMAG8942.jpg
IMAG8943.jpg
IMAG8944.jpg

finished cable after alot of machining

IMAG8956.jpg

for the clutch pedal end, I machined this part to slip over the crimped cable

IMAG8949.jpg

sliding the cable into the cavity, this small grub screw keeps it locked

IMAG8952.jpg

and the peg is screwed onto the tip

IMAG8954.jpg

grinded round to clear the assembly

IMAG8961.jpg

so between fully up & fully down, the piece clears the casing

IMAG8962.jpg
IMAG8963.jpg

made this pieces for the adjustable end of the clutch fork arm, which screws into the threaded end of the cable

IMAG8945.jpg
IMAG8947.jpg

installed like this

IMAG8971.jpg

clutch working very smoothly now, really easier to adjust compared to the old tiny thumbscrew, and good to know it's robust enough :cool:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
The old, worn & stretched 6PK825 alternator belt was starting to squeal occasionally under high loads even with the tensioner maxed out.

IMG_20180613_172533_602.jpeg

So I brought a shorter 6PK815 belt

IMG_20180613_172533_598.jpeg

And now it fits soo much better and the tensioner is well within it's adjustment range

IMG_20180613_172533_597.jpeg

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
The old, worn & stretched 6PK825 alternator belt was starting to squeal occasionally under high loads even with the tensioner maxed out.

View attachment 57559

So I brought a shorter 6PK815 belt

View attachment 57560

And now it fits soo much better and the tensioner is well within it's adjustment range

View attachment 57561
I always found that the brands made a big difference to the length of them. One brand 6pk625 wouldn't fit and I had to get it changed for a 628 mm long one