• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Good idea john.
Actually while it's open for easy access, I'll grab some waxoil n spray right down the sills before closing it up. If I need access in future, I'll drill a hole when required.
The reason I said to do it that particular way Paul is that the act of welding the end panels on will just heat up the sill and burn off all of the Waxoil in that area. Far better to spray the completed,sealed cavity, using a perforated 'lance' (a length of 6 or 8mm nylon tube, long enough to reach the whole length of the sill, with the end blocked but the last 6" pierced with multiple holes, around the tube so that when it has the waxoil pressurised into it it sprays out for 360 degrees and as you withdraw the 'lance you coat the whole length of the sill cavity), inserted through a largish hole in the rear end, which you can inspect through to check that you have a good coverage the whole length.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
The reason I said to do it that particular way Paul is that the act of welding the end panels on will just heat up the sill and burn off all of the Waxoil in that area. Far better to spray the completed,sealed cavity, using a perforated 'lance' (a length of 6 or 8mm nylon tube, long enough to reach the whole length of the sill, with the end blocked but the last 6" pierced with multiple holes, around the tube so that when it has the waxoil pressurised into it it sprays out for 360 degrees and as you withdraw the 'lance you coat the whole length of the sill cavity), inserted through a largish hole in the rear end, which you can inspect through to check that you have a good coverage the whole length.

neat. I have an endoscope too

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
swept all the rust that came off the car

IMAG6573.jpg

both sills undersealed nicely

IMAG6574.jpg
IMAG6578.jpg
IMAG6580.jpg

car is washed and ready

IMAG6582.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Scarborough Cruise Meet

Arrived at Birk Brow Layby at 1:30 for the convoy gathering and I seem to be the first one there.
soon the rest of the group ethan, hettie, tasha, shannon & matthew arrived.

IMAG6584.jpg

we set of at 2pm and had a nice drive past whitby and towards scarborough

arrived at 3pm it was busy and tricky to find parking spots. most of the group were at one side of the coast line near the shops, while me & matthew were wayy further up at the other side.
it was a nice sunny day, pack full of cars & ppl, we walked back up the coast to join with the group.

IMAG6585.jpg
IMAG6586.jpg

maybe my psychological state is still abit broken but I've been noticing afew issues I still have.
- while I was with the group at the other end, I could help but become paranoid of leaving kasandra with her bonnet exposed and out of sight so I'd often find myself just walking back & forth the entire coast line several times to check she's ok, which was tiring.
- I can talk to afew lads only if it's of common interest such as our cars or if they seem friendly but I can't/won't talk to ladies.
- as I'm walking or in traffic past some attractive lady I try to engage a quick eye contact but often find I'm pinching myself tense and look away after afew secs as though it's torturing me.
- imo everyone seems very territorial/group status/social eticate etc, I really don't understand it and I hardly know anyone. In most social situations I'm often an oddball. simply standing around watching & listening to ppl quickly bores me (so I walk to my car).
- my only interest is purely with kasandra and what I do with her, so walking up/down any car event including this I simply breeze past cars (very few interests me) and never engage with anyone or strangers, avoid eye contact cos I'm mostly certain they're not interested in my story or me.
- so with being bored of standing around for hrs, not knowing anyone, no task or focus, unable to engage with ppl I often ask wtf I doing here? I wanna go for a drive away from this chaos.
- it's a double edge sword in which on one hand I present kasandra here with open bonnet of my work, which draws attention, and yet on the other hand I'm sitting inside the car trying to look busy and my anxiety wanting ppl to go away and seclude me from outside world. so I often have to fight the fear and answer when asked bout the car.

I suppose any social convention/car meets are not my cup of tea, it's uncomfortable tbh, I'm such an introvert.
I'm more interested/driven by tasks, stuff to do, therefore why I often prefer to goto trackdays or road trips.

IMAG6594.jpg

rest of the group near the shops

IMAG6587.jpg

out of all the cars including a fancy aventador, this luvely capri caught my eye and went phwoa as I was mid-talking :cool:
the livery reminds me of Senna's lotus 97T branding and the engineering bits in such a classic car is my cuppa tea :)

IMAG6588.jpg
IMAG6589.jpg
IMAG6590.jpg
IMAG6592.jpg

show officially began at 8pm, at 8:45 we heard the group were already leaving on their way down the road, abit early?
so I warmed up the car ready, we joined behind the group.
further down the busy congested road there was a massive intimidating crowd of ppl gathered and a guy holding a "do burnout" banner :rolleyes: saw him spot my micra with that type of look pointing at the banner (probably thinking oh it's a micra). saw matthew ahead of me launch so meh, be glad to oblige. rev up, drop clutch and weee launch in 1st.

we gathered behind some shops for some photos & toilet break and figure a convoy home

IMAG6596.jpg
19488540_1866079480323872_1818455975530907933_o.jpg

soon lost the convoy with traffic and a learner cop car popped in between me & matthew eek.
eventually I simply met up with matthew at mcdonalds and we headed home. twas a good but very tiring evening.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
while welding the sills to the floor, bits of the sealant caught fire which burnt bits of the remote boot/fuel lever crispy

19601615_10154415688511017_3187280996280418014_n.jpg

so modelled a new mount

19598761_10154415688461017_5096347721910804609_n.jpg
19598447_10154415688476017_5301914878786570826_n.jpg

printed

19665631_10154415688576017_752132412258267499_n.jpg
19601410_10154415688611017_2187042612037986232_n.jpg

and reinstalled :cool:

19554387_10154415688686017_8300882345956443643_n.jpg
19554874_10154415688736017_639523357351160101_n.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
aye I'm just more & more aware of my faults these days as I go to more social events and it's frustrating to know I'm chained back by anxiety, I can't be normal or progress in social life so I often criticize myself. as they say, we are our own worst critic.

it's like when we're so bad at playing any video game, keep losing or dying repeatedly no matter how hard we try and with no answer in sight it's often much more tempting & comfier to simply give up & stall.
yes, I have many specific skills, experience & abilities but it's all useless if I've lost self belief from yrs of disappointing hurt and the anxiety prevents me from seeking a new (maybe better) life.

Mind says why risk looking for new job, moving away, seeking relationships, normal ppl stuff etc?
when all I've experienced upto now was disappointment, rejection & hurt, ignorance from ppl.
and all it predicts ahead is more bad stuff. (maybe this is anxiety trying to over-protect us?)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
removed bonnet to access the rust under the bonnet hinge

IMAG6606.jpg

removed wings

IMAG6608.jpg

the RH ain't too bad

IMAG6613.jpg

but damn the LH has alot of surface rust under the windscreen and the section under the bonnet hinge had crumbled away

IMAG6612.jpg

cutting the top panel off, the bottom layer was also rusted

IMAG6615.jpg

so had to cut all the rot out

IMAG6616.jpg

some CAD

IMAG6617.jpg

made a new section

IMAG6619.jpg

welded on

IMAG6622.jpg

and sprayed that black undercoat all over it to keep it waterproof

IMAG6624.jpg

aye I'm just more & more aware of my faults these days as I go to more social events and it's frustrating to know I'm chained back by anxiety, I can't be normal or progress in social life so I often criticize myself. as they say, we are our own worst critic.

it's like when we're so bad at playing any video game, keep losing or dying repeatedly no matter how hard we try and with no answer in sight it's often much more tempting & comfier to simply give up & stall.
yes, I have many specific skills, experience & abilities but it's all useless if I've lost self belief from yrs of disappointing hurt and the anxiety prevents me from seeking a new (maybe better) life.

Mind says why risk looking for new job, moving away, seeking relationships, normal ppl stuff etc?
when all I've experienced upto now was disappointment, rejection & hurt, ignorance from ppl.
and all it predicts ahead is more bad stuff. (maybe this is anxiety trying to over-protect us?)

When we are unable to convince similar minded educated peers of the validity of our strategy & detail plan of action to achieve the outcome that we aspire to, then perhaps we need to re-examine the rational & validity of our reasoning & actions in order to achieve a turnaround in any life enterprise? :cool:

Enjoy;

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
When we are unable to convince similar minded educated peers of the validity of our strategy & detail plan of action to achieve the outcome that we aspire to, then perhaps we need to re-examine the rational & validity of our reasoning & actions in order to achieve a turnaround in any life enterprise? :cool:

yea just like any problem solving, if our thoughts, theories, actions didn't give the expected results then we re-evaluate, research and try another way till we get there.
I remember in a leaflet bout anxiety during therapy that to overcome each anxiety thought, we'd have to list each worry and actually challenge/test each claim to see whether our mind was true/false.

gr8 tune btw, a blast from the 90s :p

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Japshow 2017

Finishing work on friday, I only had enough time & energy to pack all my stuff into the car, shower and get an early sleep from 6pm hoping to wake at 2am, so no time for any polish.
I woke up at 11pm probably from excitement for any car show so may as well stay up.

2:30am in the silent morning I fired up kasandras loud mouth :p and began the very early long trip down to santapod through the night.
There's something weird, soothing & calming about cruising at night on the motorway with absolutely no-one in sight :cool:
A few odd Splat! of these night-time water filled moth insects on the clean windscreen was annoying.

japshow (1).jpg
japshow (2).jpg
japshow (3).jpg

7:30am Arrived at the service station convoy meetup point with all the guys & gurls

japshow (4).jpg
japshow (5).jpg

8:30am Following Abi's convoy to Santa pod, set up camp and it was such a scalding hot day/night, ppl drinking & fooling around :p

1 copy.jpg
2 copy.jpg
3 copy.jpg
4 copy.jpg
japshow (6).jpg
japshow (7).jpg
japshow (8).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Japshow Sunday

8:30am It was a very hot day with no wind, everyone lined up for the MSC stand.

japshow (12).jpg
japshow (13).jpg
japshow (14).jpg
japshow (15).jpg

japshow (16).jpg

19748826_10211897555065762_1571372957362669434_n.jpg

I went with Ben & few guys to register for RWYB at head office and soon queued up for the drag strip

japshow (9).jpg
japshow (10).jpg

9:30am Drag Race 1 vs Subaru Impreza Estate
Tyre pressure: 2.00/2.85bar front/rear
Dampers: 10/30 front/rear
Fuel: 60%

My first run was against a Subaru estate.
Went around the burnout pit cos it's pointless with street tyres, lined up and just as I was about to go, the marshall pointed out my sunroof was open so took a brief second to close everything.
Slightly distracting moment but quickly refocused on the launch.

japshow (11).jpg

Held 4k, release clutch, tyres abit squibbly losing afew millisecs there. Quite surprised I was staying ahead of the subaru along the strip :)

RT: 0.5155s
60ft: 2.3290
330ft: 6.3222
1/8 ET: 9.6710s
1/8 MPH: 74.20
ET: 15.0116 @ 90.12mph

10:06am Drag Race 2 vs White Lexus IS200
Tyre pressure: 2.00/2.85bar front/rear
Fuel: 55%

Went straight back to the queue and try launching at about 3k to try reduce wheel spin.
That really didn't work cos although it didn't wheel spin, the revs dropped wayy below boost threshold and there was no power for upto 2sec! which ruined the initial few ft :rolleyes:

RT: 0.4716s
60ft: 2.4970
330ft: 6.5158
1/8 ET: 9.8436
1/8 MPH: 74.93
ET: 15.1685 @ 91.21mph

12:14am Drag Race 3 vs Subaru Impreza
Tyre pressure: 1.85/3.00bar front/rear
Fuel: 50%

Lowered the front tyre pressure abit to see if that helps traction and queued for one more run before going to the handling track at 12pm but it was taking abit longer than usual and I was concerned about making it in time. can't reverse out the queue and thought about exiting out of the pedestrian crossing further down but twas too busy. since I was almost at the end, may as well just go ahead with the run and then head over to the handling arena.

Launching at 4k, it was a good balance between keeping wheel spin down and reaching boost threshold within 1sec but I reacted too slow. The black subaru slowly nudging further ahead :)

RT: 0.6071
60ft: 2.3300
330ft: 6.3381
1/8 ET: 9.6422
1/8 MPH: 75.30
ET: 14.9653 @ 90.49mph

1:10pm Handling Track
Went over to the slalom handling track with Ben, pumped tyres back up to 3bars and stiffened the dampers. Course has changed so we no longer reverse into the start/finish box, instead we just drive forward into the finishing box which is much easier better.

japshow (17).jpg
japshow (18).jpg

Damn this was extremely fun & made my fingers tingle being allowed to drive the nuts off kasandra doing handbrake turns like a yobo :D
Could've taken it slowly & smoothly for better times but Naaa, just go for it PUWERR! lol :p:D I'm just there to have fun & do mad spectacular skidzz hehe

14:24am Drag Race 4 vs Evo 3
Tyre pressure: 1.90/3.00bar front/rear
Fuel: 45%

I was about to take Abi for a ride down the strip for my last run cos it's her bday but organiser said she needed to register with a wrist tag at HQ, there was no time and she didn;t have wallet so twas a shame.

I launched at a slightly higher 4k with abit of tyre slip which kept the turbo on boost and improved the initial launch. Once again it's odd I was ahead of the Evo fo so long down the strip when out of the blue near the end the pink Evo probably hit nitrous & ludicrous speed and whizzed past me :eek::D.

Even with a lighter stripped rear end, added X-brace and improved front suspension geometry, it's a shame I wasn't able to beat my best time last year :oops:
Maybe if I had a better reaction of 0.4s and launched at high rpm to keep the turbo boosting it could've came close to my best time but I think the 50% fuel and aging tyres really slowed it down.

After a fun hot day we packed up and I headed up to manchester to visit Andrew Summergill

japshow (19).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Monday

I head over to Andrew Summersgills garage in manchester to help him upgrade to a GTIR MAF, fit new 370cc injectors & rail and install the walbro fuel pump.

japshow (20).jpg

removed the stock injector

japshow (21).jpg

fitted the cleaned injectors on the welded sr20 rail and removed the TB waxstat

japshow (22).jpg

upto fitting the new rail, the welder wasn't aware that the regulator end was also too close to the engine head. This hiccup could've ruined andrews plans but we figured we could just cut the end off and use some heater hose to join & relocate the fuel reg.

japshow (23).jpg
japshow (24).jpg
japshow (25).jpg
japshow (26).jpg

and now we begin to swap the fuel pump

japshow (27).jpg

this was the first time I tried to take out the tupperware-like facelift fuel pump assembly. I ran out of gloves so had to stick my bare hands into the half tank of V-power, prob got fuel poisoning now lol :confused:
without knowing where the clips are exactly, it was a ball-ache. tried unclipping these 4 ends but couldn't access the front one

japshow (28).jpg

after minutes of jiggling, I figured by chance that you can unclip the whole assembly here, and slide it forward and out

japshow (30).jpg

removed and swapped the pumps over

japshow (29).jpg
japshow (31).jpg
japshow (32).jpg
japshow (33).jpg
japshow (34).jpg

all installed ready to get onto the trailer

japshow (35).jpg
japshow (36).jpg
japshow (37).jpg
japshow (38).jpg

ready to remap at Fusion Motorsport

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Tuesday

Headed over to Andy Grays garage in Louth to help him swap a CG10 dizzy head (left) onto a CGA3 coilpack block (right)

japshow (39).jpg

removed the cga3 cover and it's been quite neglected with sludge, spark tubes rusty & full of water from being left in the rain

japshow (40).jpg

removed the cga3 flywheel & clutch. it's 180mm but seems to have less area than a 1.3 clutch

japshow (41).jpg

the coilpack cam sensor on the timing chain side cover against this spinning peg on the idler sprocket

japshow (42).jpg

jeez the upper tensioner was well worn :eek:

japshow (43).jpg

the CGA3 had blown a HG since it was last run, rad cap was left out till it overheated and blowing bubbles.
but removing the head, I couldn't see any signs of blown fire-rings? pistons & valves look normal. must've been a very small leak.

japshow (44).jpg
japshow (45).jpg

I turned the crank to TDC but noticed the crank pulley markings was wayy off o_O so made a new marking.

japshow (46).jpg
japshow (47).jpg

engine deck cleaned with a razor and threads retapped

japshow (48).jpg

now lets assess the CG10, looks in better condition

japshow (49).jpg
japshow (50).jpg
japshow (51).jpg

there was no difference between the two heads other than the CG10 having 6mm cam lift while the CGA3 has 7.5mm lift and no hole for the dizzy.
the CG10 has a 71mm bore while the CGA3 is 72mm and a 20mm longer stroke to achieve the 1.4L capacity.

so in theory if my JE 72mm forged pistons ever needed a new block, I could simply just use the CGA3 rather than the expensive job of remachining a CG13 out to 72mm. handy info :D

japshow (52).jpg

reassembled with new composite HG (would've preferred the OEM HG)

japshow (53).jpg
japshow (54).jpg
japshow (55).jpg

finished late at 7pm, I was soo tired and drove all the way home in the heavy rain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
For Abis bday at Japshow, a friend contacted me to help 3D print some custom Impul bodywork for a 1/18 model of her unique K12.

I printed the rear Impul wing he 3D modelled

japshow (56).jpg

japshow (57).jpg
japshow (58).jpg
japshow (59).jpg
japshow (60).jpg

fits nicely

japshow (61).jpg

then I printed the front Impul bumper

japshow (62).jpg
japshow (63).jpg
japshow (64).jpg

and skirts

japshow (65).jpg

vapour smoothed

japshow (66).jpg
japshow (67).jpg

he fitted and painted the model. she absolutely loved her prezzy :cool::):D

japshow (68).jpg
japshow (69).jpg
19989604_10154451763506017_3562605508785910484_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
met Joosh tday with his luvely grey facelift

IMAG6710.jpg

he brought these new black reclining bucket seats and needed help welding some mounts for em

IMAG6708.jpg

I cut the brackets off the old subframe

IMAG6707.jpg

and stick welded em to the sliding rails. the welding went better than expected

IMAG6712.jpg

damn the black sports seats look soo stealthy cool

IMAG6713.jpg

fitted as far back as possible cos he has very long legs

IMAG6715.jpg

IMAG6716.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
wirebrushed and painted the original front swaybars

IMAG6705.jpg
IMAG6706.jpg

greased and fitted the softer front bar

IMAG6717.jpg
IMAG6718.jpg
IMAG6720.jpg

the front tyres don't squeal as much now while cornering in the countryside and the understeers less :cool:
have yet to test it all again on the next trackday

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Teesside Autodrome - Evening Trackday 22-06-17

IMAG6728.jpg

4pm after work, I set off down to the track. another dry sunny warm evening :cool:
parked up, unpacked my stuff, setup the dampers & tyres, turned on the cameras and signed up at the office.
was chatting to a cool guy with an awesome rat looking hotrod. William in the pink 200sx arrived, was having boost leak issues and helped out but soon had to goto briefing. Corey in the green micra later turned up. there was another green micra similar to Corey's who I've never seen before? it was starting to get unusually busy.

did the briefing and immediately ready for the sight laps.

IMAG6729.jpg

17.00 Warmup laps
10/30 dampers
60/40 brake bias
80% fuel
2.2/2.2bars cold

setup same as it was last time. 3 laps to warm up the brakes & tyres.

the tyres & brakes barely upto temps after 3 light laps.
throughout the whole evening it was absolutely jam packed full of cars & ppl, more then I remember, dunno what's going on.

IMAG6730.jpg

17.11 Session 1

10/30 dampers
60/40 brake bias
75% fuel
2.5/2.5bars warm

now lets see how she feels with a softer front swaybar.

Lap times:
1.01 traffic
1.00 traffic
1.01 traffic
1.01 traffic
0.57 traffic

Remark:
- good turn in and slightly less understeer but rear end is abit sketchy over the bumpy & fast 1st left turn.
2:40 - overtake a silver celica
3:00 - held up by grey bmw
4:40 - allow black civic to pass

17.37 Session 2
20/30 dampers
60/40 brake bias
75% fuel
2.5/2.5bars hot

stiffened the front dampers abit to reduce the twitchy oversteer at the first corner.

Lap times:
0.58 traffic
0.58 traffic

0.59 traffic
0.57 traffic
0.58 traffic
0.59 traffic

Remark:
3:25 - grey bmw initially blocking and then I overtake him down straights
6:30 - held up by several clios
- less twitchy at the first corner but over smooth corners she naturally understeers bit, which holds me up, especially at the exits & at the 180deg bend.
- doing a consistant 55sec clear laps.
- noticing more of an odd boost whistle. dunno if it was noise from the stripped cabin or there's a boost leak or exhaust leak? it still boosts 10-12psi. noticed a little white dusting near the rear left turbo flange bolt getting worse through the day so it's probably cracking again.

18.30 Session 3 with Billy
10/30 dampers
60/40 brake bias
70% fuel
2.7/2.7bars hot

The brakes & tyres are now upto temp but only reaching 2.5bars cos it's a cooler day than the previous heat waves so pumped the tyres upto 2.7bars and reduced the dampers back to 10/30 exactly same as last trackday so I can feel what the softer swaybar does.

Billy who was in the other green micra came over, had a nice chat, he wasn't in MSC nor FB. he asked if he could have a ride, sure. once again waiting in a massive queue till we can go on track. Corey joined the track.

Lap times:
1.00 traffic
1.00 traffic
0.57 traffic
0.59 traffic
1.04 traffic
0.59 traffic

0.57 traffic
1.03 traffic
0.57 traffic
0.58 traffic

Remarks:
3:30 - overtake grey bmw
4:00 - allow red civic pass
4:30 - civic taking a wide line
5:00 - civic going through chicane too hot
6:50 - held up by vauxhall
7:40 - overtake vauxhall
9:40 - caught up to Corey in green micra
10:20 - passing cautious silver ford focus
10:50 - caught up to Corey in green micra
11:30 - overtake Corey in green micra
- feels quite balanced over the 1st corner but still understeers during the exits and the 180deg bend.
- doing 56sec laps with a passenger onboard.
- tyres have heated upto 2.75/2.7bars
- noticed the outer shoulders of the front tyres are wearing very quickly down to canvas similar to what happened to the rears :/ think the sidewalls are flexing under too much and needs more camber & caster.

19.20 Session 4
10/30 dampers
60/40 brake bias
60% fuel
2.6/2.7bars hot

softened the front pressure down to 2.6bars to see if that'll help it bite during the exits & 180deg long bend.
a massive queue and time was running close to 8pm.

Lap times:
0.58 traffic
0.58 traffic
0.59 traffic

Remark:
- it was a nice clear track for afew laps, felt better & got faster towards 54sec as the brakes heated up before I hit traffic.
1:30 - overtake blue focus
3:30 - overtake silver focus
5:00 - held up by orange caterham

even for a very busy day it's been a good few runs :cool:

IMAG6733.jpg
IMAG6732.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
track.jpg

So comparing tdays time of 54sec with my fastest time back in May 2016 with 0:53sec

fast straight to 1st hairpin:
+0.24s slower cornering speed, braking too early

accelerate to the hill:
-0.16s slightly better acceleration with less weight

twisty hill bends:
+0.16s slightly slower entry

fast straights:
+0.08s slower acceleration, maybe from leaking exhaust

180deg bend:
+0.04s brake too early, same cornering speed & line, braking abit too early for the chicane

final chicane:
+0.12s faster entry but didn't trail brake as much as before and had to correct steering through chicane

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
front left tyre:
even though most of the tread has enough meat left, just look at how much the outer shoulder has worn down from too much tyre flex on the clockwise circuits :(

IMAG6741.jpg
IMAG6742.jpg
IMAG6743.jpg

other than using it for burnouts, these front tyres are ruined down to canvas and at risk of blowing out if I use em on circuits.

front right tyre
not too bad. so I think the final send off would be to use these ruined front tyres for mad burnouts next time at santapod :p

IMAG6738.jpg
IMAG6739.jpg

rear left tyre
hardly worn

IMAG6751.jpg

rear right tyre
hardly worn

IMAG6747.jpg

Brake Pads
front pads getting close to their min limit

IMAG6746.jpg
IMAG6740.jpg

front pad.jpg

while the rear pads barely wearing

IMAG6753.jpg
IMAG6749.jpg

IMAG6754.jpg
IMAG6750.jpg

rear pad.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
My poor old cheapo halfords trolley jack had finally packed in after lasting a surprising 9yrs of hard service.

IMAG6734.jpg

So time to fork out for another shiny one.

IMAG6736.jpg

time to inspect what's failed. removing the very tight screw cap to reveal the piston assembly

IMAG6765.jpg

piston assembly

IMAG6771.jpg
IMAG6772.jpg

outer reservoir housing. notice the mesh filter oil pickup

IMAG6766.jpg

unscrewing the inner cylinder liner which the piston slides inside. note the ball check valve

IMAG6767.jpg

here is the heart of the trolley jack assembly and all the ports involved.
notice the broken rubber o-ring seal for the pump check valve which caused the jack to suddenly fail & collapse.

IMAG6769.jpg

pressure relief valve

IMAG6770.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Scarborough StaticRoyals Car Meet

Met up with Heather & Matthew & Shaun, who I met at the last trip to scarborough, and getting ready for the trip back for the StaticRoyals meet

IMAG6760.jpg

we arrived after 3pm, overcast & abit windy expected to downpour later.

IMAG6761.jpg
IMAG6762.jpg

matthew busy getting his LED strips to work and shaun busy trying to warm up lol

IMAG6763.jpg

quite a nice evening hanging around & chatting with familiar friends and then the heavens opened for the entire night, everyone back in their cars :/

20286929_1876703519261468_1313131328275971371_o.jpg

the weather spoiled the night but still livened up at 8pm, lads doing burnouts and backfiring exhausts etc, matthew left early, I stuck around with Heather & kids.
I was getting little uneasy with the dodgy looking lads doing backfires & burnouts nearby, me & heather were hungry so we left turning right (cos turning left down the coast-line are crowds awaiting ppl doin burnouts and both of us don't fancy it).
I guided heather back towards home through the insanely thick fog & rain before we had food & a goodnight chat at mcdonalds :)
so a quiet uneventful show in the pouring rain but the luvely chat with heather & kids made up for it :D

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
driving down to scarborough, a stone hit the windscreen with a tiny 1-2mm chip right in my sight

IMAG6774.jpg
IMAG6775.jpg

I called Adrian Flux about getting it repair under fully comprehensive assuming it's free.
was surprised to hear the lady say it's £20 excess if repairable :eek: out of shock & panic when asked, I decided yes go for it why not.
she asked about all sorts of details that I barely remember (cos I'm at work) including my mod details for them to verify, which took awhile to barely recite wtf.
then she passed onto the windscreen shop who asked for policy ref no. which didn't match cos I don't have my papers at work and he asked for £20 by card up front if repairable and I'd have to drive to Newcastle!? wth?
asked about mobile vans and he said it depends on weather.
cos he couldn't verify policy details, they'll have to run through checkups and call me back.

omg this is why I insanely hate phone calls, I'm soo stupid :mad:
£20 for a friggin tiny chip repair and another £15 of fuel to drive there & back? I can't afford that, could get an ebay repair kit for £7-15!

phoned back and fooking cancelled it all, do it myself FFS.

got this £10 repair kit from halfords

IMAG6776.jpg

followed the guide

IMAG6777.jpg
IMAG6778.jpg

treated afew spots

IMAG6779.jpg

cured with UV

IMAG6780.jpg

and done. it's filled in smooth and abit less distracting inside but it ain't perfect & mis-matched refractive index but it's to be expected at £10 and tbh no different to what I would've got from a repair van.

IMAG6781.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
wasn't happy with the smaller head of the new jack so dismantled both jacks and swapped the pump & few good bits from the new jack (bottom) over to the better built old frame (top)

20414228_10154493614856017_2507879313327381224_o.jpg

but looking at the new frame I was surprised to find this cheap POS welded by stevie wonders monkey. stick welded too fast & hot and left the slag on!

20414220_10154493614976017_8026207673755269680_o.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
new manifold gasket arrived

IMAG6788.jpg

recently noticed the manifold has been blowing abit, so time to take it out & inspect

IMAG6791.jpg

slight oil mist on the intake from the catch cans

IMAG6793.jpg

I love these corragated metal type gaskets cos they stay intact

IMAG6794.jpg

manifold face is fine

IMAG6804.jpg

rear of the turbo flange has been leaking

IMAG6798.jpg
IMAG6799.jpg
IMAG6800.jpg

ah crap, once again a massive crack across the back of the manifold/flange where the edge craters of the weld cavity has created stress risers

IMAG6802.jpg
IMAG6803.jpg

wirebrushed for a clearer view

IMAG6805.jpg
IMAG6806.jpg
IMAG6807.jpg

grinding down the cracks & welds and there's loads of micro-cracks across the back end. gonna cut most of the weld out and reconstruct it with hopefully smoother welds and think about a support brace

IMG_20170728_192052.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
putting the manifold on the old jig, it looks like the rear end cracked after the flange was deformed upto 1deg

IMAG6813.jpg

welded it all up.
it's nice when the stick welder is dialled in and getting comfy & patient was very important to a good weld.

IMAG6822.jpg
IMAG6819.jpg
IMAG6821.jpg
IMAG6816.jpg

also further welded smooth the inside step for better flow and less stress risers.

IMAG6814.jpg
IMAG6815.jpg

grinded all the welds smooth to reduce any stress risers.
I'm not sure about all the micro-cracks on the front old welds, I may grind and reweld it.

IMAG6826.jpg
IMAG6823.jpg
IMAG6824.jpg
IMAG6825.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
why not buttress weld it paul ?

what's buttress welding? like ribs? I'm trying to grind it smooth to eliminate any cavity that could lead to cracking.
adding ribs on an already awquid to access manifold is alot more work than needed.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
it's abit too much work for little returns. think the extra welding stress will also warp the flange edge even more and I don't have enough stone tips to smooth out each rib (I could do with some carbide round dremel bits instead of stones).
I'll just figure out how to brace the turbo into the block for now to reduce the bending force in the first place.

driving down to scarborough, a stone hit the windscreen with a tiny 1-2mm chip right in my sight

View attachment 54808 View attachment 54806

I called Adrian Flux about getting it repair under fully comprehensive assuming it's free.
was surprised to hear the lady say it's £20 excess if repairable :eek: out of shock & panic when asked, I decided yes go for it why not.
she asked about all sorts of details that I barely remember (cos I'm at work) including my mod details for them to verify, which took awhile to barely recite wtf.
then she passed onto the windscreen shop who asked for policy ref no. which didn't match cos I don't have my papers at work and he asked for £20 by card up front if repairable and I'd have to drive to Newcastle!? wth?
asked about mobile vans and he said it depends on weather.
cos he couldn't verify policy details, they'll have to run through checkups and call me back.

omg this is why I insanely hate phone calls, I'm soo stupid :mad:
£20 for a friggin tiny chip repair and another £15 of fuel to drive there & back? I can't afford that, could get an ebay repair kit for £7-15!

phoned back and fooking cancelled it all, do it myself FFS.

got this £10 repair kit from halfords

View attachment 54807

followed the guide

View attachment 54809 View attachment 54803

treated afew spots

View attachment 54804

cured with UV

View attachment 54805

and done. it's filled in smooth and abit less distracting inside but it ain't perfect & mis-matched refractive index but it's to be expected at £10 and tbh no different to what I would've got from a repair van.

View attachment 54810
This is one of the reasons why I hate insurance with a passion!

One way to help prevent further cracking on cast iron is to drill a small hole at the end of the crack before repairing.
Also do not grind away the weld, it removes most of the material and strength

Last edited:
One way to help prevent further cracking on cast iron is to drill a small hole at the end of the crank before repairing.
Also do not grind away the weld, it removes most of the material and strength

Quote “drill a small hole at the end of the crank” Which crank would that be then? ;)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
I've joined all the cracks together so that should stop the cracking.
imo there's enough metal and it's more important to smooth fillet the edge of the rough welds so they don't form a stress riser and start cracking again.
I'm hoping the additional bracket support will stop it cracking again.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
my very old hard working grinder has slowed down to a halt and stopped working so let's see what's wrong inside

IMAG6827.jpg

took out the shaft and it's just a simply a dried up ball bearing that's made it seize up. abit of wd40 and it spins freely :)

IMAG6828.jpg

regreased and back in service

IMAG6830.jpg

grinded all the micro-cracks off and rewelded the front & rear with more fresh metal and grinded smooth

IMAG6831.jpg
IMAG6832.jpg
IMAG6834.jpg
IMAG6835.jpg

sanded the flange on some 60 grit, took all night. phew

IMAG6836.jpg
IMAG6838.jpg
IMAG6840.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
bolted the manifold to the turbo

IMAG6841.jpg
IMAG6842.jpg

after assessing how to support the turbo, I decided the best way is to mount a bracket to these two studs and the alternator bracket. there's only 2-3mm of spare threads on the nuts so it'll have to be reinforced sheet steel.

IMAG6843.jpg

grinded the alternator bracket ribbing out of the way

IMAG6844.jpg

fit the gasket for the correct spacing

IMAG6845.jpg

some CAD

IMAG6846.jpg

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
bolted the manifold to the turbo

View attachment 54896 View attachment 54897

after assessing how to support the turbo, I decided the best way is to mount a bracket to these two studs and the alternator bracket. there's only 2-3mm of spare threads on the nuts so it'll have to be reinforced sheet steel.

View attachment 54898

grinded the alternator bracket ribbing out of the way

View attachment 54900

fit the gasket for the correct spacing

View attachment 54901

some CAD

View attachment 54899
Serious heat transfer from the turbo to the alternator? (though with a bracket that thin, just cracking up of the bracket a strong possibility?)
If you want too put a serious bracket on those studs, to somewhere else other than the alternator, just get some hexagon bar and make some very long nuts that will leave you tapped holes in the end to put some bolts of the same size in......

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Serious heat transfer from the turbo to the alternator? (though with a bracket that thin, just cracking up of the bracket a strong possibility?)
If you want too put a serious bracket on those studs, to somewhere else other than the alternator, just get some hexagon bar and make some very long nuts that will leave you tapped holes in the end to put some bolts of the same size in......

nope, tbh the alternators getting most of the heat off the turbo elbow there and it still works perfectly fine.
yeah ur right, thin brackets will simply fatigue crack apart.

I'm thinking extend the studs abit longer to fit some thick flat bar, bolt one thick flat bar onto the studs and another on the alternator bracket and weld it up.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
nope, tbh the alternators getting most of the heat off the turbo elbow there and it still works perfectly fine.
yeah ur right, thin brackets will simply fatigue crack apart.

I'm thinking extend the studs abit longer to fit some thick flat bar, bolt one thick flat bar onto the studs and another on the alternator bracket and weld it up.
Extended nuts negate the need to fit longer studs Paul.........