• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Still no news of the rear dampers. Been 3-4weeks now, and seriously holding me up. surely just 2 struts would've been made and delivered by now h701? unless the factory is having a strike, the uk distributors outa stock or it was sent by bottle in a sea?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
japshow tickets arrived, thx jamesR97

IMAG2289.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ok lady at BC said they need to place order at taiwan factory by 4pm in order to make the friday shipment and they definately only take 1 week, tried ringing you h701 several times bout if it's arrived at urs but no pickup.

it's been 4 weeks, dunno if u placed an order or required payment up front n shouldve lemme known weeks ago but I can't wait any longer.
rang louise at BC and ordered a pair of V1 rears for £194, andy h701 if they havent arrived at urs yet could you cancel my order.

btw payment for BSR stand at JAE, what paypal should I sent it to?

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
andy h701 called, he's alright with cancelling the damper order cheers m8.

ok decided whilst waiting another week for the new dampers,
I may as well start removing this gearbox & flywheel,
trace & resolve this oil leak,
get my JUN flywheel machined to fit the current 200mm PP,
order another T2 flange and weld it to the current manifold as a quick fix for next trackday,
then I pop down to h701 to collect me manifold jig & flange & slowly fabricate it myself afterwards before the trip to germany fingers xx

side note about andys stand at JAE, sounds abit awquid to organise this year but apparantly we have to order our own tickets seperately via JAE website to enter the gates and then it's upto the clubs themselves to organise their stand :/ ah well

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ordered my JAE tickets for £37 now, missed out on the prize competition thing but meh.
ok lets pour some UV dye in the oil and begin ripping the gearbox out

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Just to clarify Paul, you've bought an all day camping ticket and will just sort out a stand later? Probs what I'll end up doing

at japshow I'm there for weekend, meetup at the services 10:30

at JAE I booked the thursday onwards ticket, dunno when h701 planning on arriving or if there's any stands/gazebo etc planned but he's sorting that.
dunno if u been before but tis usually turn up, say hi, put up tents, put up gazebo stands etc, sit drink eat chill etc

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Yup. Pretty awkward on the JAE part.

Didn't have an order to cancel as it wasn't confirmed that I wanted it. Usually when I pay for something I want it lol. Ah well all resolved

As for JAE stand I'll be first through the gates lol. Marquee and geberator all semi organised :)

Alright cheers Paul, I'll be at Japshow. Just need to buy tickets for JAE now, guess I'll John Andy on his stand but I'll be rocking back and forth between the two camps :p

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Yup. Pretty awkward on the JAE part.

Didn't have an order to cancel as it wasn't confirmed that I wanted it. Usually when I pay for something I want it lol. Ah well all resolved

As for JAE stand I'll be first through the gates lol. Marquee and geberator all semi organised :)

was it not ordered in the first place?

aye will see u sometime after it opens. marquee and gerbilator? ur running ur stands power supply off gerbils? :p

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Alright cheers Paul, I'll be at Japshow. Just need to buy tickets for JAE now, guess I'll John Andy on his stand but I'll be rocking back and forth between the two camps :p

yea but least we have all day weekends to wonder back n forth and least it's just round the corner :cool:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
poured all the UV dye in the oil, went for a drive to work it through the system, drained the gearbox

DSC00880.JPG

not much debris since last trackday at blyton

DSC00881.JPG

gearbox off, stained with oil

DSC00882.JPG

clutch & flywheel off

DSC00883.JPG
DSC00884.JPG
DSC00885.JPG
DSC00886.JPG

tried to locate the oil leak with the lamp but was hard to tell cos the faint dye is splashed all over, probably from the previous UV attempts.
think the new dye hasn't had time to leak out properly cos if I drained the oil it appears much brighter under than lamp than the faint oil smear round the flywheel, meh.

but from the faint stains, the rear crank seal area appears clear so it ain't the seal. the sump gasket appears intact with no strong signs of leaking.

DSC00887.JPG
DSC00888.JPG

the one thing I'm sure could leak is this dodgy main oil gallery end plug, maybe not tight enough?
I'm gonna order yet another copper seal from the dealers and then really tighten this plug till I round the allen head off to be sure

DSC00893.JPG

really need to replace this damn front chassis cos the crossmember is now splitting

DSC00894.JPG

yet another problem with the soft Alu gearbox rear bolt hole cracked off.
looks like it's been cracked since last fitting and no point trying to waste money getting it tig welded on.
instead I'm gonna modify the rear bracket to bolt onto the other un-used bolt holes nearby

DSC00895.JPG

here's the current heavy concave flywheel

IMAG2294.jpg
IMAG2295.jpg

can see the flywheel side of the clutch plate is only touching approx 1/2 of the face

IMAG2296.jpg
IMAG2297.jpg
IMAG2298.jpg

the PP side of the plate looks good

IMAG2299.jpg
IMAG2300.jpg
IMAG2301.jpg

the 200mm plate fits over the JUN flywheel like this

IMAG2302.jpg
IMAG2303.jpg

the worn outer section of the clutch plate will miss these holes in the flywheel for the first few k's

IMAG2304.jpg

lining the PP over the flywheel

IMAG2305.jpg

just enough room to machine the bolt holes at the three corner sections

IMAG2306.jpg
IMAG2307.jpg
IMAG2308.jpg

off to the machinist tomorrow, don't care how £££ or how long it'll take, has to be done.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Hmm just checked me email from apex perf parts bout me rear damper order and it says BC D-03 BR damper rear micra K11.
I'm pretty sure I told louise mine's the V1 series and she said she'll pass the info over to the factory.

but just incase they sent me the BR series, Huggy444 I recall you use the BR series, do you or h701 have any pics of the rear dampers? they must have the same fittings, appearance and perform near enough the same?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
thx guys :)
I emailed em back to check the order is for V1 and not BR. but even if the BR turns up I'll still use it :cool:

was about to phone me local machinist but lines busy and they're all prob only open half days saturday. I'll have to wait till monday then.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
went to a local machinist, he said the guy he uses to resurface steel flywheels on holiday for another week and he'll require a crankshaft to mount & balance the whole assembly, wtf I'm not taking the crank assembly out of my current engine.
even if I use a spare crankshaft from the old engines, he'll balance the crank then balance the fly then balance the PP, can see the labour cost rocket up. estimated it at least £120+
since the next track could be end of month, I can't wait a month n went to another shop.

went to another shop in next town, figured since the current crank and PP was balanced together and the JUN flywheel is perfectly new I could prob get away with simply machining the flywheel.
so they'd resurface the flywheel flat, lathe a centering shaft to center the PP diaphram fingers to the flywheel hole, drill & tap the new bolt holes, then drill the new locating pin holes on the PP.
left it with them to quote & call me back to be done prob by end of week and dread how much but fookit :confused:

spare T2 flange arrived so will be welding this to the current manifold

IMAG2309.jpg

with abit of the rear mount bolt hole cracked off, I screwed some threaded bar onto the remaining threads in the gearbox casing and will tighten a nut on the end

IMAG2310.jpg
IMAG2311.jpg

to stiffen this clutch cable mount and stop it flexing under load, welding a bar to the gearbox mount might bend under compression, welding a bar sideways to the starter motor 14mm bolt may not stop it moving forward

IMAG2312.jpg

a closer look, what if I lock the arm from behind onto these bolts on the starter nearby

IMAG2313.jpg

so cut some reinforcement bracket

IMAG2314.jpg

after some patchy welding, now there's no chance of flexing :cool:

IMAG2315.jpg
IMAG2316.jpg
IMAG2317.jpg
IMAG2318.jpg
IMAG2319.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Does the arm flex that much? Does it do this with a standard clutch?

I dunno if it flexs bout as much on a standard light PP but shown in this video with my heavy 200mm helix PP the mount flexes approx 2-3mm, so after pushing my pedal X mm down, I've lost 2-3mm of it to flexing which could've been utilised towards the clutch mechanism travel.

cos this PP requires such a long travel distance from fully slack to clutch fully disengaged and with barely enough pedal travel,
I need to eliminate as much sloppiness out the system so that I'm able to fully disengage the clutch when pedal's down and then fully engage the clutch & slacken the release bearing (reducing its wear) when pedal's fully up.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
welded the nut to the end of the shaft for screwing fully into the gearbox hole and then the inner nut tightens against the rear mount

DSC00896.JPG
DSC00897.JPG

finished off welding & painting the clutch bracket on the bench, welding angle & position makes a big difference to weld quality, prob cos of gravity affecting the weld pool

DSC00898.JPG

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
time to fix this leaking manifold. obviously can't drive to andy to pickup the jig n stuff so gotta make another one. manifold removed & yup been leaking at the front & rear as usual

DSC00900.JPG
DSC00903.JPG

underneath the gasket also been leaking front & rear

DSC00904.JPG

drilled & bolted square tubes onto the studs to begin the jig

DSC00905.JPG
DSC00906.JPG

welded these supports to hold the jig together

DSC00907.JPG
DSC00908.JPG
DSC00909.JPG

bolted the jig to the turbo mani

DSC00910.JPG

welded a backbone to join the head section to the turbo section

DSC00912.JPG
DSC00913.JPG

an issue here at the rear stud of the turbo flange is the nut's already too close to the angled manifold wall. the thicker 10mm flange will move it even further up into the manifold so will have to figure ouot a solution later

DSC00911.JPG

cutting the manifold off the old turbo flange, Behold, a broken turbo mani :confused:

DSC00914.JPG
DSC00915.JPG
DSC00916.JPG

notice the manifold port is shorter & wider then the new flanges hole. has a 3-4mm wall thickness. will take some work to fit & seal it solid

DSC00917.JPG
DSC00918.JPG
DSC00919.JPG

bolted the mani to the jig

DSC00920.JPG

got alot of trimming to do tomorrow

DSC00921.JPG

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
collected the oil gallery copper seal & an oil filter from dealers

IMAG2320.jpg

marked how much to trim off

DSC00922.JPG

after alot of grinding to reduce the wall thickness n remove the old welds

DSC00923.JPG
DSC00924.JPG

now slips snugly under

DSC00925.JPG
DSC00926.JPG

this rear section will be a right challenge to join

DSC00927.JPG

the rear bolts are a mission to install so marked some slots to see if that improves access, plus marked more areas to trim n clear any nut & bolt heads

DSC00928.JPG
DSC00929.JPG

heavily grinded this area to give as much access to the nuts

DSC00930.JPG
DSC00931.JPG

slotted bolt holes

DSC00932.JPG

yup enough room for the bolts now

DSC00933.JPG
DSC00934.JPG
DSC00935.JPG
DSC00936.JPG

tacked in place

DSC00937.JPG
DSC00938.JPG

to ensure the flange always remains flat, tacked the edges to the jig. remove bolts and begin welding her up :cool:

DSC00939.JPG
DSC00940.JPG

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
first pass at the front

DSC00941.JPG
DSC00942.JPG

can't access the rear section with jig the the way so removed off the jig

DSC00943.JPG

with the mani welded to the flange, this is the big gap I'll have to fill

DSC00944.JPG
DSC00945.JPG

to block the hole to prevent the pool from simply dropping through I purposely brought this rod of Alu so the weld melts & sticks to mild steel but not Alu cos it simply conducts the heat away and doesn't stick, could also use copper or bronze.

DSC00946.JPG
DSC00947.JPG

it's worked. took some work to slowly bridge it bit by bit but it's sealed

DSC00948.JPG
DSC00949.JPG

the alu rod holding up the pool the create a flat underside

DSC00950.JPG

second pass to bulk up the join

DSC00951.JPG
DSC00952.JPG
DSC00953.JPG

this huge step won't help with flow

DSC00954.JPG

so I attempted to build some weld on the corner but just did one pass cos was worried of warping the thick flange. so that's it, , one turbo mani complete, just need to sand flat the flange to finish it off :cool:

DSC00955.JPG
DSC00956.JPG

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
thankyou, happy it's worked out. gonna also weld a support brace at the front to bolt onto the turbo to prevent the weight cracking the front welds.
I'm hot from all this welding/grinding work :p

@pollyp i have finally caught up with your thread... i am speechless! what an amazing journey for you your car and everyone who reads it start to finish! you know when you watch a long box set in every spare minute of time you have and then when it finishes you don't know what to do with yourself, well i could almost say that apart from i was reading on and off for about 3 weeks :) now I've caught up i can keep on top of it and read day by day *thank god*
love the car mate

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
@pollyp i have finally caught up with your thread... i am speechless! what an amazing journey for you your car and everyone who reads it start to finish! you know when you watch a long box set in every spare minute of time you have and then when it finishes you don't know what to do with yourself, well i could almost say that apart from i was reading on and off for about 3 weeks :) now I've caught up i can keep on top of it and read day by day *thank god*
love the car mate

u read all 130+ pages? well done lad, should get an achievement trophy for that :p
thx for the compliments, been quite a journey of ups n downs.

speaking of watching long boxsets I'm myself currently watching all 4 seasons of the knightrider boxset me sista got me, brill :cool:

134 I believe :D hahaha cheers mate and yeah was about to say the same!
Love how much effort you put into everything and most things you get you go through the process of stripping it all down to understand how it works!! I might have to check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
134 I believe :D hahaha cheers mate and yeah was about to say the same!
Love how much effort you put into everything and most things you get you go through the process of stripping it all down to understand how it works!! I might have to check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tis a habit of mine.
combination of curiousity,
learn how it works,
optionally measure few parameters to help diagnostics in future,
then reassemble correctly cos from my experience of all mass produced products, they're rarely assembled perfectly.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
I've sent off drawings for laser cutting flanges Paul

I'll send you the prices etc :)
10mm 304 Stainless Steel

thx m8. btw the turbo flange is mild steel, could I weld stainless pipes on that with stainless rods? or perhaps I should get a stainless turbo flange to make life easier?
u got any tight bend stainless pipes or shall I buy some stainless U-bends myself? think we should verify which size pipes r obtainable before finally submitting the laser cutting order due to the required hole size.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
hmm reading around, welding stainless manifold to a mild steel flange under such intense heat & mechanical strain of the turbo ain't ideal so prob best I go fully stainless.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
flange was very slightly warped from the weld so after few mins of sanding got it flat again

DSC00957.JPG
DSC00958.JPG
DSC00959.JPG

bolted it up

DSC00960.JPG
DSC00961.JPG

not gonna bother with a support brace tbh cos cba and this is a temporary manifold till I make the stainless tubular one

DSC00962.JPG
DSC00963.JPG

the thin gasket has shifted the turbo elbow up much closer to the alternator so bent one of the terminals to hopefully clear it from shorting

DSC00964.JPG
DSC00965.JPG

k turbo mani fixed

DSC00966.JPG

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
just got email from BC that the order is due for monday but still says BC BR rear dampers, meh still gonna use it. hope to get her running by 28th at blyton. andy & alex u popping over too?

just got email from BC that the order is due for monday but still says BC BR rear dampers, meh still gonna use it. hope to get her running by 28th at blyton. andy & alex u popping over too?

Depends on cost, guessing it's £109 again? Not too bad if split with a mate, may well see you there

Will let you know