• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Can't wait to see if this improves how my brakes feel. These few days r ticking by but so much to do.

I may also need to book another Blyton session on 11th to get as much track time I can before m8s weddin in may n Germany trip in July.

Feel free to contact me via any means. We'll meet up before Blyton to fit brace n fix Celica n long chat ;)
It should make a huge difference to your braking Paul :)
As long as the C3 cylinder is sufficient

I think the 11th was good for Colin too, so you wouldn't be alone
Celica in for its mot today :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
The c3 volume looked a lot more than the tiny k11 so fingers x it'll shorten n firm up the travel.

Nice, good to hear Colins going.
Would be gr8 to have a micra gathering too.

Hope Celica passes, even without a fixed compartment lid :p

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ordered 5m of fuel line n heatshrink on ebay other day n got it fast :)

DSC00115.JPG

whilst planning the brake line route, decided to remove the rear washer pipe since I never use the rear window or the washer/wipers now.
for those interested the plumbing goes from the washer tank, have to plug the port too.

DSC00123.JPG

along the wing

DSC00122.JPG

through the bulkhead into the drivers footwell

DSC00121.JPG

across the floor

DSC00120.JPG

up the C-pillar

DSC00119.JPG

into the boot lid via rubber hose

DSC00117.JPG

and into the washer jet

DSC00116.JPG

drilling hole in the rear seat well for the brake line

DSC00124.JPG
DSC00125.JPG
DSC00126.JPG

so taking another whole day of planning & routing,
the RH line goes alongside the tunnel

DSC00127.JPG

over and behind the seat crossmember

DSC00128.JPG

along the top of sills with the loom

DSC00129.JPG

through the rear seat well

DSC00130.JPG

between the fuel tank & trailing arm mount

DSC00135.JPG

and to the brake hose via s-bend

DSC00136.JPG

the LH line goes alongside the tunnel

DSC00131.JPG

over and behind the seat crossmember behind the battery

DSC00132.JPG

along the sill

DSC00133.JPG

through the rear seat well

DSC00134.JPG

along the trailing arm mount

DSC00137.JPG

gonna use this previous brake line clip hole for bolting the rubber mount to it, saves me from drilling close to the fuel filler in the way

DSC00138.JPG

then takes this spiral twist into the brake hose due to the massive fuel filler bend getting in the way

DSC00139.JPG

will be interesting to make this tomorrow, hope I have enough copper lines

DSC00140.JPG

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
guess the Alu body required a thicker wall.
that's approx a 8.13% cross section increase and by my rough calc the C3 M/C will travel 85.52% of the K11 to push the same volume of fluid, which may be enough to prevent the pedal bottoming out n don't need to double pump anymore :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Andy I've just caught myself in a dangerous case of staring at the page of Haynes showing the underside view of the k11 for few hrs as my brains imagining all sorts ideas for stiffening the structure, etc till it hurts head. Should be in bed at the mo, gawd help me lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
barely have enough pipe so one side will be silver chromo nickel colour while the other will be orange copper.
formed the LH line

DSC00141.JPG
DSC00142.JPG

twas a PITA trying to feed it through the tight confines of the rear susp & fuel filler

DSC00144.JPG
DSC00145.JPG
DSC00146.JPG
DSC00148.JPG
DSC00149.JPG

rather than remove & wrap tape round the lines, lets use an easier task of heatshrinking it

DSC00150.JPG

stuff works a treat :D

DSC00151.JPG
DSC00152.JPG

reprinted a new engine bay clip

DSC00114.JPG

which no longer cracks apart from the screw mount

DSC00155.JPG
DSC00156.JPG

ordered a reel of 12v white LED strip from ebay china,ebay #171344180684

DSC00153.JPG

applied 12v and weee it's so bright. perfect for the foot well camera lighting and any other dark camera spots, may fit some by the front susp to lit up my susp cam scenes better :cool:

DSC00157.JPG

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
Looking good Paul

That LED strip is great and very bright, I have it as a 'marshal' light following the roll cage on the navs side and works a treat.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
all the lines r now secured n flared

DSC00159.JPG
DSC00160.JPG
DSC00161.JPG

rear lines covered, secured & flared

DSC00162.JPG
DSC00163.JPG
DSC00164.JPG

loom cover fitted

DSC00165.JPG

b-pillar sorted

DSC00166.JPG
DSC00167.JPG

trimmed n fitted the gearstick covers

DSC00168.JPG
DSC00169.JPG

now removing & overhaul the calipers

DSC00170.JPG
DSC00171.JPG
DSC00175.JPG

re-oiled the handbrake & clutch cables

DSC00172.JPG

front pads gettin thin, best replace & bed the new ones in cos these won't last at blyton park

DSC00173.JPG
DSC00174.JPG

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
assessing the rear calipers

DSC00176.JPG

RH piston quite pitted

DSC00179.JPG
DSC00182.JPG

LH piston also slightly pitted. think they'll both need replacing

DSC00180.JPG
DSC00181.JPG

modified an old nipple to clean up the bleed threads

DSC00183.JPG

the new nipples are way too long for the rear calipers, still seals but the amount of exposed threads to corrode is a concern

DSC00184.JPG

they fit the pulsar fronts fine

DSC00185.JPG

overhauling the rear caliper carrier, the guide pin seemed to hydrolock so I drilled a breathing pinhole at the end to release any trapped air

DSC00186.JPG

cleaned

DSC00187.JPG

the other carrier had a really rusty pin

DSC00188.JPG

cleaned rust out the bore with a trimmed wirewheel

DSC00189.JPG

rear brakes connected

DSC00191.JPG

new front pads

DSC00190.JPG

front brakes on

DSC00192.JPG

roughly bled the system. think buying 3L was abit overkill cos I only needed bout 700ml but least I have enough for next few flushes.
looked inside n noticed hmm wet spot, ah bumma somethings leaking

DSC00193.JPG

ah twas just a loose union under the bias adjuster, tightened no probs.

DSC00194.JPG

I know the system ain't fully bled but I'm concerned that even with the pedal at it's highest resting position, there's alot of travel till it firms up just below the throttle pedal. I'm hoping it's just air, otherwise we're in trouble.

good thing I noticed bout the rear brakes after removing the rear compensator is that they no longer stick/drag on, they're fully releasing off the discs. have yet to fit and test the handbrake n see if that mechanisms releasing fully.

finish securing the brake hoses n handbrake cable tomorrow before doing the fuel lines

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
bit of a debate on what to purchase.

for £66 I can replace the pistons, correct bleed nipples and refresh all the rubber seals but the bolts r still rusty and the handbrake lever shaft is still pitted.

1.JPG

or for twice the price can replace both entire calipers with fresh new ones.

2.JPG

logically I should prob just rebuild both calipers for £66 since they still work fine

...ok just ordered a rebuild kit

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
connected the handbrake, re-bled the brakes and the pedal's still stopping at the same point with the throttle pedal, engine vacuum will lower it further :/
just hope it'll be ok on the test runs soon.
pulled handbrake few times and wheels no longer binding.

made a second clip for the front hose

DSC00197.JPG

this notch was upside down so grinded it off

DSC00198.JPG

and now clipped in place

DSC00199.JPG

plugged off the rear washer

DSC00200.JPG

now removing these old stuck fuel hoses in a tight space was another annoying pita

DSC00201.JPG

eventually got it off, fuel running downmy sleeves, Oww it stings my poor hands, house stinks

DSC00202.JPG

removed swaybar to drop the fuel rail down but this bit was tricky

DSC00203.JPG

cos the steering was in the way, just needed some brute force to yank it out. fitting it back will be interesting

DSC00204.JPG

removed rusty old fuel rail

DSC00205.JPG

good thing I'm replacing it cos who knows how long this rusty section was gonna last before it fails

DSC00206.JPG

unclipped

DSC00207.JPG

testing the flare tool on the ends, at the right is fully flared which is too wide and sharp for the hose

DSC00209.JPG

here I only compress the tool partially and that closely matches the original

DSC00210.JPG

I seem to be making less progress recently, hope I finish it in next few days.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
new rear discs this morning

DSC00211.JPG
DSC00212.JPG

rear caliper rebuild kit, pistons r empty so would have to swap bits from the old pistons

DSC00213.JPG

more LSD oil for the next few trackdays

DSC00214.JPG

just look at the fuel restriction from when some garage previously jacked up accidentally from the wrong point and kinked my lines

DSC00215.JPG
DSC00216.JPG

flippin gawd I hate making copper lines at this moment. had to scrape the old gunk off the lines n wipe clean with carb cleaner and then the difficult tedious task of using the bulky tool to form each bend at exactly the right point and angle while the tube kept flopping all over the place. was so hard but its done

DSC00217.JPG
DSC00218.JPG

pipes formed, reusing the breather line

DSC00219.JPG
DSC00220.JPG

flared the ends

DSC00221.JPG

oh gawd the 2nd annoying task of the day is heat shrinking it.

the pipe is 8mm and the heatshrink I brought was 9.5mm so imagine the huge amount of difficulty I had in trying to slip it on through all the tight bends :mad:
I had to wriggle sections of the sleeve through the entire 2.5m mm by mm like a worm till my fingers loose skin, its like trying to fit some super skinny leather trousers on wet legs.

finally covered and fine tuned to closely match the original lines

IMAG2045.jpg
IMAG2052.jpg

IMAG2046.jpg
IMAG2053.jpg

IMAG2047.jpg
IMAG2054.jpg

IMAG2048.jpg
IMAG2055.jpg

IMAG2049.jpg
IMAG2056.jpg

IMAG2051.jpg
IMAG2057.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
fitting the fuel lines was such a faff. had to feed one by one through the steering rack gap, hook up the rear to the tank, hook the front connections, clip them in place with gr8 difficulty, but this front clip near the tight confines of the rack was an absolute pain. u can guess I pretty much really hate doing hydraulic lines by now :p

DSC00227.JPG
DSC00228.JPG
DSC00229.JPG

may as well service the rear brakes now rather than later. disc was abit rusted to the hub n needed afew whacks

DSC00230.JPG

disassemble the calipers

DSC00231.JPG
DSC00232.JPG
DSC00233.JPG

I thought the bleed screw ebay listing was for single nipple so ordered 2, instead it was actually for a pair so I got 4 nipples. meh

DSC00234.JPG

so in the seal rebuilt kit I get new handbrake lever shaft seal

DSC00235.JPG

handbrake actuaction shaft o-ring

DSC00236.JPG

piston seals

DSC00237.JPG

& 1way seal for the plunger inside the piston

DSC00238.JPG

time for tea

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
wirebrushed rust off the dust boot lip edges

DSC00239.JPG
DSC00240.JPG

odd that the newer LH caliper has a nylon bush sleeve

DSC00241.JPG

while the older one has an Alu sleeve

DSC00242.JPG

fitted the handbrake lever & shaft

DSC00243.JPG

making sure this rectangular slot on the washer & shaft lines up with the dimple hole in the bore

DSC00244.JPG

inserted the c-clip. to push it all the way down to the groove slot squarely I use an old hollow piston

DSC00245.JPG

push down till it clicks in place, double check it's secure all round by tapping it down with a rod

DSC00246.JPG

new piston seal

DSC00247.JPG

new pistons marked 3018

DSC00249.JPG

all assembled

DSC00248.JPG

connected. finish it off tomorrow

DSC00250.JPG

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
the old rusty rear disc has worn the upper & lower edge of the pads. I sand flat the pads to ensure a flat full face for the new discs

DSC00251.JPG

fit new discs

DSC00252.JPG

clean the rust off the exposed driveshaft before capping it

DSC00253.JPG
DSC00254.JPG

grinded this petruding block off the fuel reg and bent the return pipe down slightly to clear the MC

DSC00255.JPG
DSC00256.JPG

what a silly lazy design nissan. these plastic fuel rail spacers are so annoying when they easily keep getting knocked off n fall down the engine n not to the floor, have to use another spare one.

DSC00257.JPG

reg now clears the MC

DSC00258.JPG

assembling the bay

DSC00259.JPG

this ABS loom needs deleting

DSC00260.JPG

this messy loom will need re-doing in future but gonna tie it to one side for now

DSC00261.JPG

battery now at 12.45v so just enough to start.
refill coolant, primed oil n fuel, checking for leaks, hmm smell abit of fuel. looking under see some fuel drip, ah it's the return line that's loose. retighten em up, no leaks.
start and it fires up :) initially running 3cyl and then clears up. keep running to bleed coolant & charge the battery.

test the brakes with vacuum. hmm even with the pedal adjusted at it's highest rest point, it stops just below the throttle, so either there's still bubbles in the lines, the normal rubber hoses are too spongy than the previous braided ones or this C3 MC actually has a smaller bore than the K11 :(

it's too early to tell without further testing but from what I see,
although there's a longer initial travel from rest to fully firm at 1/2 way, the C3 has more total travel till the pedal hits the floor compared to the shorter K11.
when it stops it feels very firm n solid with little movement between medium & hard pressure vs the spongier 5-10mm movement of the K11.

I'll find out once she's ready for test drive tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

I've been following this thread for years and have just signed up so I could post...

Firstly - what you have achieved since you started this saga has been epic! Congratulations!

Secondly - I'm just wondering if you brake pedal issue has something to do with the 'new found' return position on the rear calipers. If they are returning too far you will be wasting pedal effort to bring them back in contact with the discs a bit like a badly adjusted drum brake.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
noticed the front calipers leaking slightly, same as what skinner had recently.
notice the tip distance on the new screw is shorter than the original one

DSC00262.JPG

so on the pillar drill

DSC00263.JPG

grinded 2 threads off till it matches the old one

DSC00264.JPG
DSC00265.JPG

now its sealed.
bay assembled

DSC00266.JPG
DSC00269.JPG

glued the windscreen trim down

DSC00270.JPG

fit the seats back

DSC00271.JPG
DSC00272.JPG

this line abit close to the seat but eaily nudged away

DSC00273.JPG

wheels on, testing the handbrake and the rear brakes no longer bind anymore. ready for test drive.

DSC00274.JPG

driving out the garage, the pedal has a huge empty light gap between resting & getting firm just below the throttle, it's very concerning when I was driving around.

at 12:00 tried adjusting the bias forward to shut off the rears and see if only sending pressure to the fronts will shorten the initial gap, nope still bites just below 1/2 way.
tried quickly double pumping, no effect.

initially thought maybe this cylinder has a bigger travel between resting and when the master piston seal passes the reservoir port n begins building pressure, so maybe the pedal needs a rest point stopper to bring the pedals resting point closer to when the piston just about passes the reservoir?
and then move the throttle pedal lower to match the brake pedal bite point?

but then thought what if there's still air in the system judging by the massive empty gap to reach the bite point, which is abnormal.
then saw this informative ytube vid and yea it's very likely that I've still got trapped air in the MC cos I didn't bleed it when I fitted it.

so tomorrow I'll be bleeding the MC as mentioned @20:20 in the vid.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
made bleed hose ends with the spare primera unions, cut n flare some tube and stick clear hose on it

DSC00276.JPG

swapped the hoses. put a rag under the MC cos fluid will pour out below

DSC00277.JPG

noticed that with the pedal fully rested n exposing the reservoir port, I can blow on the tube n see the level move freely. I can use this to judge how low I can adjust the brake pedal resting point till just before the piston passes & closes the reservoir port.

DSC00279.JPG

measured the pedal range

DSC00280.JPG

so the full travel of the MC is 16.5cm and it took 3cm from the resting point till the piston closes the port n I couldn't blow through the tube.

brake pedal travel.JPG

used a ziptie to lower the pedal & prime the MC so that when I begin to move the pedal it immediately closes the reservoir & builds pressure

DSC00287.JPG

with the lower pedal, I need to adjust the switch but simply bending the bracket didn't work

DSC00282.JPG

so rather than trying to move the switch bracket, lets move the pedal end stop towards it. threaded the hole

DSC00283.JPG

and screwed a bolt to adjust the length

DSC00285.JPG

now lets plumb the hoses into the reservoir and begin bleeding the MC.
pumped the pedal few times till there's no bubbles.

DSC00286.JPG

replumbed it all back, properly bled the lines with help from dad and now oh yea, it's so much better.
initially touching the pedal I can feel it's pushing viscous oil rather than fluffy air.
and then it gets firm just above the throttle pedal, how I like it.

went to test how it feels and then began bedding the pads.

it felt good n firm.
before starting I was wondering what this clicking noise was when I was pushing the pedal firmly, turned out it was this ball check valve in the bias adjuster.

gradually warm the brakes with gentle 45-20mph and then moderate 60-30 till I can smell the brakes, was abit busy around 5pm.

@31:20 I began to push the hot brakes harder and began to oversteer with too much rear bias on a light rear end poking up high at low speed on the dirty tarmac so turned the dial to close off the rear bias n try again till it stops getting tail happy.

ended up having to turn the dial all the way off so it was a 100% front bias to stop the rear sliding o_O
on circuit will obviously be different.

well that's the brakes done ready. next is finish the catch can

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
was thinking that rather than printing a custom sealing lid for the soup tin, why not find a screw top sealed can and attach the ports to that?
was looking all over supermarkets & bargain stores to try find a container the size n shape of a soup can, has a resealable lid, preferably transparent to view the liquid and a flat lid top surface to drill & bolt the ports onto.
the only ones I found suitable were a jar of coffee but the glass might shatter, and a plastic clear can of sweetener, got the 85p sweetener.

DSC00291.JPG

had a square flat top but I question the seal

DSC00292.JPG
DSC00293.JPG

card seal was too thin n leaking

DSC00295.JPG

so tried some spare gasket sheet but the flimsy plastic can leaked badly. certainly not using this nor consider the fragile glass jar so I'm gonna continue making the lid for the soup can..

DSC00296.JPG

looking at different lid sealing profiles. this one has an outer securing ring to hond the lid & seal on while I tighten the clamp but its too complicated to print accurately

DSC00289 a.JPG

the inner lip of the can was actually tapered so included that feature to make it fit

DSC00289 b.JPG

DSC00289.JPG
DSC00290.JPG

to prevent the plastic printed ports from snapping off, they'll be reinforced & screwed to the lid by a metal threaded tube.

initially tried tapping some 12dia x 1.25wall tube but the thin wall made it very weak

DSC00297.JPG

so instead lets cut a length of m12 bolt

DSC00298.JPG

and drill the hole through it

DSC00299.JPG
DSC00300.JPG

perfect

DSC00301.JPG

the ports are bolted to the lid and at the end of the outer port is a 90deg elbow to make the flow swirl/cyclone inside the can before exiting via the middle port.
printed & fitted the first elbow

DSC00302 a.JPG

but whilst tightening, the weak printed layers split so I'll have to stiffen the elbow part

DSC00302.JPG
DSC00303.JPG

testing if I could ziptie the lid on rather than clamping.
what I soon found was that trying to push the lid onto the can to squeeze the seal is rather inefficient.

DSC00304.JPG

instead, what if we seal the elastic band "along" the smooth bore of the can like an o-ring?
reprofiled the lid

DSC00305 a.JPG

made a test lip and it seals gr8

DSC00305.JPG
DSC00307.JPG
DSC00308.JPG

modelled the 90deg elbow into a hex nut so I can tighten it on the lid without cracking it

DSC00309 a.JPG
IMAG2069.jpg
IMAG2070.jpg

printed the final lid

IMAG2071.jpg

test fit the ports and fit fine

DSC00309.JPG
DSC00310.JPG

sealed & tightened all the fittings with threadlock

DSC00311.JPG

assembled together

DSC00312.JPG

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
now lets look at where & how to mount it.
was initially gonna mount it here on a flat side of the strut tower but there's only enough space for one can, the hoses at the top are too close to the bonnet so with either touch or kink.

DSC00313.JPG

this empty cooler space on the chassis rail after removing the ABS unit looks ideal

DSC00314.JPG

fit the cans like this

DSC00315.JPG

move the gearbox grounding lead elsewhere and perhaps use the same bolt holes

DSC00316.JPG

ziptied both cans on for now and test there's no vac leaks

DSC00317.JPG

the primary catchcan is plumbed into the front crankcase breather ports like this to capture most of the vapours

DSC00318.JPG

tailored the hose lengths to prevent kinking

DSC00319.JPG

the first mount was gonna be bolted to the side of the chassis rail with existing bolt holes BUT turned out my small printer couldn't print it

DSC00320 a.JPG

so I have to print the mounts seperately, then thought why not combine the lid clamp and chassis mount together.

DSC00320 b.JPG
DSC00320.JPG

clamped in place

DSC00322.JPG

fitted new hose clamps

DSC00323.JPG

and finally bolted onto the chassis. looks ace :cool:

DSC00324.JPG
DSC00325.JPG

well thats the brakes and catch cans done. pop down to Andys tomorrow to fit a lower brace and see how much vapour we catch this time around on the return trip.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
popped down to andys. fitted the new lid to his celica.
while I was checking the catchcan, the thin mounting snapped so will have to reprint another beefier version.
then he made a lower brace for me, thx. I measured n fitted :D

IMAG2073.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
just a brief update summary.

these last two trackdays has been the best bday fun eva and the car setup has been successfully dialed in to perform how I like it.
I'm back home now still in one piece, me n the car really really worn out.
there's a huge amount of video n data to collate n assess over the few days ;)