• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

h701micra

Deactivated Account
that was just a gentle sighting lap breeze last saturday and we didn't even begin to push it till the pipe blew before the first proper lap.

meh I'll see if the data changes over the days before I believe the leak has stopped.
It still had a fair bit of load slapped on, on a warm day. What ever it was... it might have solved your problem :D

Speaking of pushing it. We needto arrange our next trip out

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
It still had a fair bit of load slapped on, on a warm day. What ever it was... it might have solved your problem :D

Speaking of pushing it. We needto arrange our next trip out

Yea, very busy this nth but perhaps some weekend after 12th Sept for our next trackday

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Looks very spacious runoffs n sweeping fast corners and its a counterclockwise track so should wear down the opposite RH tyres making the depths more even :)

Looks very spacious runoffs n sweeping fast corners and its a counterclockwise track so should wear down the opposite RH tyres making the depths more even :)

It's a very open track, if you hit something you've gone spectacularly wrong :p not too challenging, but fairly straight with a good few flat out corners and a couple of tight'uns... Sprinting there this weekend

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Looked on trackdays n found perfect one.

Blyton Park near you, Sun 21st Sept openpit 105db £129
Didn't see this. We're looking a track evening open pit. Half the price and easier on the cars :)
It's a very open track, if you hit something you've gone spectacularly wrong :p not too challenging, but fairly straight with a good few flat out corners and a couple of tight'uns... Sprinting there this weekend
What he said. Massive run offs. All about handling as its a short circuit. Not really a place power can play its hand

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
If your every heading to Oulton Park Paul let me know iv always wanted to get on the track there!

yep.
the one on sat 18th oct is abit deer.
only ones of reasonable price r 14th oct, 4/7/21/29th nov but they're on weekday so will need to get time off work which is difficult :(

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
this PAS sensor line seemed abit close to the strut brace so zip tied it to eliminate any rattle

DSC09512.JPG
DSC09513.JPG

took some more oil readings and I misread the last reading too soon.
it's actually still dropping but abit slower now (green & purple line) than before (yellow line) since tightening the sump bolts

oil1.jpg

h701micra

Deactivated Account
so andy lets make a date to blyton on 21st sept eh? unless u know if cadwell does any weekenders?
Last session for us at Cadwell is August 27th which is too soon for all.

After your recent discovery of the every weekend event we could make a play for late september/ early october?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
good price but thats a weekday so will have to check if I can get the day off.
I'm thinking I'll prob also still go to blyton someday cos its a weekend and another interesting local track to challenge.
Try and get blyton in on the same weekend :p
Its a nice little circuit as @Huggy444 could vouch for. Last time I went round it was in an M3 powered 3series compact, so mainly sideways

Ah Paul, I also may have a link to those infrared temp sensors we were talking about at much less than the usual price

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Try and get blyton in on the same weekend :p
Its a nice little circuit as @Huggy444 could vouch for. Last time I went round it was in an M3 powered 3series compact, so mainly sideways

Ah Paul, I also may have a link to those infrared temp sensors we were talking about at much less than the usual price

yep lets make it a trackday weekend :cool:
cadwell on friday 31st oct @ £79 (need to book my holiday)
blyton on sat 1st nov @ £99

IR temp sensors? ooh tell me more.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Sounds like a plan then :)
I'll let Colin know and Rob and we can get some bits n bobs sorted (Got a picasso engine for free too :D )

Speaking of Colin, he's the one that found the IR sensors.. I'll get a link sent over to you once I get it 9was a sale and clearance item (sub£10 for a £100+ item) :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Sounds like a plan then :)
I'll let Colin know and Rob and we can get some bits n bobs sorted (Got a picasso engine for free too :D )

Speaking of Colin, he's the one that found the IR sensors.. I'll get a link sent over to you once I get it 9was a sale and clearance item (sub£10 for a £100+ item) :)

free engine, shweet. that'll lessen the blow to the wallet

curious what sorta sensor it is. a simple single point IR sensor like the few dozen cheapo china ones I got last yr, but never got round to using em, or a more sophisticated tyre tread area reading sensor?
I'd dream of owning a FLIR but thats far outside my budget

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Absolutely. It was Matty 2 doors up, I can have his 1.6 frenchy engine if I do an engine swap on his fiesta for him. No question there

Its a point and shoot type as far as I'm aware, works well from what I've seen

I used to have a FLIR... but being issued something doesnt mean you own it, so I had to give it back

Last edited:

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Whats wring with a good old fashioned NTC or Thermocouple temp sensor?
Also, pipe temp won't be representative of air temps

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
the pic above is just an example of an IR tyre surface temp sensor array used there on a motorcycle tyre, notice chain drive.

I wanted to create the same type of setup on each car tyre to read inner, mid, outer tyre temp same as in some motorracing.

why IR than pyrometer? cos I want to log the approx temp distribution across the tread of each tyre
while they're loaded on track.

when I measure tyre temp with a temp probe, I'd have to stop at the pits and by the time I've cruised back on a cooldown lap, the tyres would have cooled down alot from their actual temp during cornering and while I'm slowly measuring the probe, they are all still cooling so results will be inconsistant.

with a timestamped log of the tread surface temp data of all the wheels, I can use it to roughly analyse at any lap time/position on the track which tyre is over/under-inflated?, too much/little camber? and work/heat distribution across the 4 wheels and adjust the suspension n pressures n driving style to get the most even balanced distribution.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
the pic above is just an example of an IR tyre surface temp sensor array used there on a motorcycle tyre, notice chain drive.

I wanted to create the same type of setup on each car tyre to read inner, mid, outer tyre temp same as in some motorracing.

why IR than pyrometer? cos I want to log the approx temp distribution across the tread of each tyre
while they're loaded on track.

when I measure tyre temp with a temp probe, I'd have to stop at the pits and by the time I've cruised back on a cooldown lap, the tyres would have cooled down alot from their actual temp during cornering and while I'm slowly measuring the probe, they are all still cooling so results will be inconsistant.

with a timestamped log of the tread surface temp data of all the wheels, I can use it to roughly analyse at any lap time/position on the track which tyre is over/under-inflated?, too much/little camber? and work/heat distribution across the 4 wheels and adjust the suspension n pressures n driving style to get the most even balanced distribution.
The tyre shape was more of a give-away than the chain :p

Its all good getting this data, but you need to be able to have the ability to adjust to accomodate for it.

First of all would be corner weighting, you'll need to be able to adjust that accurately to make use of the data. As you'll need to adjust load before you adjust alignment (camber, caster & toe).
Load will be adjusted by preload, which at the minute is what you're using for crossweight

Free up those height adjusters to achieve the 50/50 crossweight, then we can use preload to adjust the tyres load whilst on track :)

Then we'll have to find a way of adjusting your caster angle. For example if the camber angle we have is perfect for our handling needs but we need to reduce it due to tyre temp. Then we can increase caster to reduce our camber angle. But if we've no caster adjustment?

Like I say, logging data is one thing, making use of it is another :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
The tyre shape was more of a give-away than the chain :p

Its all good getting this data, but you need to be able to have the ability to adjust to accomodate for it.

First of all would be corner weighting, you'll need to be able to adjust that accurately to make use of the data. As you'll need to adjust load before you adjust alignment (camber, caster & toe).
Load will be adjusted by preload, which at the minute is what you're using for crossweight

Free up those height adjusters to achieve the 50/50 crossweight, then we can use preload to adjust the tyres load whilst on track :)

Then we'll have to find a way of adjusting your caster angle. For example if the camber angle we have is perfect for our handling needs but we need to reduce it due to tyre temp. Then we can increase caster to reduce our camber angle. But if we've no caster adjustment?

Like I say, logging data is one thing, making use of it is another :)

very good points

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
We can devise something on our next track day :)

This guy is awesome :D

we'll discuss it at jae.
get the coffee ;)

absolutely, Eric is such a cool guy with so much experience & wisdom. his ericthecarguy video guides are excellent but his ETCG1 talking bout all sorts off topics with knowledge that is beneficial personally and professionally are just awsome :cool:

h701micra

Deactivated Account
we'll discuss it at jae.
get the coffee ;)

absolutely, Eric is such a cool guy with so much experience & wisdom. his ericthecarguy video guides are excellent but his ETCG1 talking bout all sorts off topics with knowledge that is beneficial personally and professionally are just awsome :cool:
If I make it my good man then we shall :D
Might try and find us some examples I can bring with me you can test :)
INFACT!!!! I have a link that might take your interest greatly :D

I follow his usual videos but the ETCG1 ihavent seen much of

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
If I make it my good man then we shall :D
Might try and find us some examples I can bring with me you can test :)
INFACT!!!! I have a link that might take your interest greatly :D

I follow his usual videos but the ETCG1 ihavent seen much of

nice, when r u heading down? I'm setting off thurs morning 7am, there for bout 10-11am

h701micra

Deactivated Account
ah bumma. swap ur k10 badges onto the picaso? :D hows the engine swap.
well I'll def look forward to ur arrival and our trackday ;)
Engine swap wont take long if the donor engine from the donor vehicle would be released by its owner :p got to wait until his fiesta is up and running, which it wont be if he keeps being a no-show

I'm sure you'll see me floating about :D
Dont forget to remind me when it comes to trackday time lol

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
brake pedal's been rattling alot recently. the pedal joint and the pedal pivot are slightly worn abit loose, need to replace it but the nuts on the left behind the steering column is hard to get to without removing the steering.

so instead for the time being I center the bracket to the pedal with washers and then to stop the bracket pin from rattling in the loose pedal hole, I ziptie em together to take up the slack

DSC09518.JPG
DSC09520.JPG

ahh quiet

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
the front tyre valves been leaking the past few months. went down to natonal tyres at 4pm got em replaced and when I asked to pay the £10 by card he said just take it :)
nice when its free :cool: