• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Hey Paul, you thought about the condition of your the linkage pivot assemblies, they get loose and cause extra wear on the linkage cups

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Hey Paul, you thought about the condition of your the linkage pivot assemblies, they get loose and cause extra wear on the linkage cups

yea where the motor joint is, it's dried up and real loose, can see where it's worn out.
gonna clean n overhaul the wiper assembly since it needs it and the new links should fix it all.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
new tie rod end boot arrived

DSC09175.JPG
DSC09176.JPG

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
painted bonnet catch fitted

DSC09177.JPG

bonnet hinges on

DSC09178.JPG

lets overhaul the wiper assembly. removed motor, joint is abit rusty

DSC09179.JPG

wire brushed shiny

DSC09180.JPG

removed the linkages

DSC09181.JPG

the spindle ball joints are still greased n shiny

DSC09182.JPG

pivot shaft still greased & appear fine

DSC09183.JPG

all regreased and clipped the new linkages on. they're a little tighter cos they're new but should stay on now

DSC09184.JPG

DSC09186.JPG

here's the cabin intake btw

DSC09187.JPG

tested the motor and it moves fine.

Last edited:

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Paul did you check the travel on the spindles before and after re greasing? How were they.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

SirChris

Educated Bodger
my spindles were mega rusty and had worn away the plastic surrounds really bad
Yeah mine was the same... Causing excess wear on the rod cups on the end. Didn't think about using a face lift. Sorry Paul didn't realise you had already changed them once.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
progress is painfully slow and just over a week left :/

test fit the bonnet & wings to position the hinge to the chassis

DSC09188.JPG

and oops the double nut hinge is too wide

DSC09189.JPG

so I'll have to trim some nut n bolts and threadlock it in place

DSC09190.JPG
DSC09191.JPG

the LH wing is definitely a pattern part and just look at this eye sore

DSC09192.JPG

marked where it should be

DSC09193.JPG

cut the excess corner off

DSC09194.JPG

and proceed bashing with hammer

DSC09196.JPG

ain't a perfect edge but least it's aligned n better than before

DSC09197.JPG

tomorrow we'll try to begin the sanding

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
removing these plastic clips off the wings are a pita

DSC09198.JPG

wire brushed most of the visible rust

DSC09199.JPG
DSC09200.JPG

DSC09201.JPG

but the back side is just rotten. think I'm wasting my time wirebrushing this cos it'll just get worse

DSC09202.JPG

this edge that was fouling the bonnet, tried to bend it in with hammer but went wrong, undo with hammer and pliers went really bad.

DSC09203.JPG

so fookit, let trim it off instead

DSC09204.JPG
DSC09205.JPG

began sanding the old laquer off. Oh GOD I hate sanding n painting

DSC09206.JPG

sanded much as I can but I'm out of patience. was gonna just rough it up 150grit, don't care bout the coarse wirebrushed areas, and then spray but the carb cleaner I use to wipe it clean is melting the old paint into a tacky goo and sick of it.

I think I'll be better off buying a pair of new wings n use my precious grey paint on that instead. but I don't have time to wait with a week to go :((

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
Just seen I got a pass side wing with arch liner attached sitting here waiting for me to use.......unless you use it first :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Just seen I got a pass side wing with arch liner attached sitting here waiting for me to use.......unless you use it first :)

u got a pic zed n how much u want 4 it? round indicator hole?
It may not be possible to post, prep n paint the wing properly in time for japfest but will be for JAE.
if you could find how much postage could be, if it's more than £16 extra I could just pick it up on the way back from japfest, if it's less than £16 then post it.

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
pick up sound better .pics next few days

Edit......and if you got a spare 2.5 min hatch up a independent rear suspension for the fixed rear beam of us. simple version.:)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
pick up sound better .pics next few days

Edit......and if you got a spare 2.5 min hatch up a independent rear suspension for the fixed rear beam of us. simple version.:)

would prob only be stayin afew mins cos I'd be worn from staying up all day from midnight, only to drive another 5hrs back home till midnight = 24hr

independant rear susp?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
went to motor factors in morning to get 3 more cans of custom base coat for the bonnet for £45

K lets try sanding again but this time fitted onto the car rather than shuffling around on top of a box. little easier but still a pita of labour. instead of wiping with carb cleaner which was melting the old paint, I wiped with isopropyl alchohol and is much stabler.

DSC09207.JPG
DSC09208.JPG

not gonna bother with the rusty insides

DSC09209.JPG

just paint over with silver

DSC09210.JPG

tried priming with zinc primer but hmm I'd say avoid that stuff now tbh cos once dry, there's a section of bad cracking n shrinkage

DSC09211.JPG

paint the hidden edges with the almost empty cans of basecoat which tends to sputter with lost pressure

DSC09213.JPG

then spray the larger visible area with a new full pressure can for an even coat

DSC09214.JPG

here's a view of the awful zinc primer cracking. too late to fix

DSC09215.JPG
DSC09216.JPG

laquered

DSC09217.JPG

wirebrushed the rust bubble off the RH wing

DSC09212.JPG
DSC09218.JPG
DSC09219.JPG

applied the normal halfords primer and once dried, looks matte & no prob with cracking.

DSC09220.JPG
DSC09221.JPG

painted n laquered

DSC09222.JPG

sanding the rust spots off the bonnet, Damn it's so much effort n slow. took few hours to sand the front bit by hand and exhausted with sore hands

DSC09223.JPG
DSC09224.JPG

tomorrow get more primer n laquer, wirebrush rust off the bonnet underside, roughen the bonnet top, then paint.

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Is it just me then that actually quite likes sanding???

I've never used any panel cleaning stuff before painting...just always washed with soapy water to get any paint residue off and then away with the primer once dry. :)

Is it just me then that actually quite likes sanding???

I've never used any panel cleaning stuff before painting...just always washed with soapy water to get any paint residue off and then away with the primer once dry. :)
I like sanding...just did another wheel today... ^_^
I always clean between coats with a little (slightly) soapy water, rinse well, then Meths when practically dry to remove any small particals that may remain

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
if I had loadsa time n patience n budget then I'd try my best effort but I don't have either anymore and not bothered about bodywork quality, just wanna slap paint on it to hide the rust and be done with it

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
noticed this rust bubble popping out the edge, turns out its been eaten inside out. fookit not gonna bother repairing it

DSC09225.JPG
DSC09226.JPG

roughened the rest of the top side

DSC09227.JPG

rusty underside

DSC09228.JPG

trim the unused support abit better

DSC09230.JPG
DSC09231.JPG

then bash it down

DSC09232.JPG
DSC09233.JPG

wirebrushed as much rust off

DSC09234.JPG

but oops, the bashing of panels had caused the edge to dent the bonnet, dilligaf

DSC09235.JPG

halfords ran out of all grey primer so had to spray it with white primer, was going well until the moment I was gazing down and a friggin tiny fly went past my breather mask out vent and was blown straight! onto the wet primer garghhh.

tried to stupidly grab the fly as I shouldn't and it ruined the finish, bah bugga all this, sprayed sum more over it

DSC09236.JPG
DSC09237.JPG

primer dried but it's dark and will not risk spraying the basecoat now. bonnet refitted, pushed car in and resume tomorrow in daylight

DSC09238.JPG

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ppl say racing stripes gives u extra few bhp. well a broad white bonnet, roof n boot may give a gazillion puwer :D

perhaps maybe a white pin stripe to highlight the white wheels or body line?

I know what you mean with sanding man just started sabding that filler down on the roof keep thinking electric sander but im sure the extra effort and time pay off in the end.

Your finish on those panels look awesome lol nice and glossy :) im usually a rusher so always end up with rubish spots. Im too impatient lol

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
I know what you mean with sanding man just started sabding that filler down on the roof keep thinking electric sander but im sure the extra effort and time pay off in the end.

Your finish on those panels look awesome lol nice and glossy :) im usually a rusher so always end up with rubish spots. Im too impatient lol

if I had a proper electric sander it'd make life and weak arms alot easier. ain't got the time or budget so sacrificing quality but there's always another time.

I just progressively dowse a section of the panel like an inkjet printer until the tiny droplets clump together to form a smooth even glossy appearance before moving to the next section.
when spraying the basecoat, I try to view from an angle that reduces bright specular sky reflections to see the actual pigment against the grey/white primer.
when apraying the laquer, I do the opposite and look at the specular reflection along the surface and when it clumps, the finish goes from dotty rough matte into smooth n shiny.
once all the layers dry, it goes from wet shiny glossy to satin so will need buffing n polishing.

a way of reducing that spray-can banding look is to spray a region sideways and then lengthways until the distinct bright darker look evens out.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
hung the bonnet up to make painting easier and wiped the dirty underside much as I can

DSC09239.JPG

primed the underside. the spray jet causes the whole hung bonnet to slowly twirl around the middle which is VERY annoying

DSC09240.JPG
DSC09241.JPG

applied basecoat. very hard to get an even coat with a can

DSC09243.JPG
DSC09244.JPG

bolted the wings on

DSC09245.JPG

ziptied to the chassis rather than with bolts that rust

DSC09247.JPG
DSC09248.JPG

base coat the underside with remaining paint

DSC09242.JPG

apply laquer which was very very hard. was using flashlight to spot the glossy finish but as it twirls round I have to spray the opposite side to stop the spin and vice versa but when going back to the other side, the laquer dried abit in the warmth so was hard to spot the glossy edge again. as it runs out of paint and pressure it sprays rubbish. had to work fast.

DSC09249.JPG
DSC09250.JPG

huge amount of dust n overspray on car, needs a long wash

DSC09251.JPG
DSC09252.JPG

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
bonnet just about dry, mounted n shut

DSC09253.JPG
DSC09254.JPG

the satin rough finish

DSC09255.JPG

secure nut & bolt hinge. I really have to replace it

DSC09256.JPG

something ain't right with the RH wing

DSC09257.JPG

bumper, grill & lights on, she has a face.
notice the front of the bonnet and grill and bumper is REALLY wonky?
the front right of the bonnet is way too high and not touching the bumpstop. I tried lowering the latch to pull both front ends down but it can't move any further.

DSC09259.JPG

actually what Kasandra looks like at the mo is this scene in the Living Daylights of moneypenny lol

living026.jpg

wipers and arch lining on

DSC09260.JPG

lastly replace the LH steering boot

DSC09261.JPG

removed the old broken cover

DSC09262.JPG

wipe the joint clean and regrease

DSC09263.JPG
DSC09264.JPG

fit the new boot

DSC09265.JPG

done

DSC09266.JPG

car's finished but damn she and the whole dusty garage needs a good wash tomorrow before driving. was itching to try tonight but its too late n dirty n tired

DSC09267.JPG

Last edited:
Is that the wing you already altered to fit better?
Definitely got an odd angle going on, perhaps because held on by cable ties instead of bolts?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Is that the wing you already altered to fit better?
Definitely got an odd angle going on, perhaps because held on by cable ties instead of bolts?

I trimmed the a-piller bit of the LH wing.
the upper headlight corner of this RH wing bends in too tight compared to the bonnet corner.
tbh this entire front panel of the chassis was botch repaired and alignments all over the place :(

i think the crossmember is bent upwards and so the grill, latch and bonnet follows.
perhaps a remedy is to cut the middle vertical support beam bolt hole to shift it downwards so the bonnet can be fully shut.

another possibility is either the bonnet is twisted or the chassis rail from bulkhead to front is twisted slightly?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
tried some halfords rubbing compound to see what it does.
not much, it just makes the slightly rough sounding surface abit slippery but looks the same. yet to polish it.
tried twisting the bonnet front but made no difference.

DSC09268.JPG
DSC09269.JPG

washed the car and here's the big difference between a freshly painted and buffed wing and an old unpolished door

DSC09270.JPG

water just beads all over the bonnet

DSC09271.JPG

went for a drive to clean the brakes and dry the body. cold start she misfired abit from the oil pool but clears.
she's abit quieter n smoother running than a last remember a week ago.
wipers work perfect with no loose stutter at all.
she's back in action:cool:

DSC09272.JPG