• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Too thick, running in is because of tightness and you're running thicker oil that will have more difficulty forming a film between shell and bearing. I'd say you wanted thinner oil for run in, slightly weaker film strength but that's fine as it'll help the bearings bed in.

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
I was instructed by Mark Field at Jigsaw Racing to run my engine for 500 miles on cheap oil of the standard weight, then flush and use the oil I planned on carrying on with. That was on a 1500 triumph engine but and engine is an engine...

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I was instructed by Mark Field at Jigsaw Racing to run my engine for 500 miles on cheap oil of the standard weight, then flush and use the oil I planned on carrying on with. That was on a 1500 triumph engine but and engine is an engine...
Seconded.
I'd recommend cheap halfords 0w50 oil...for the same 500 miles then use whatever you're planning :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
woopsy. maybe shoulda ran 10w40 mineral eh

wonder if its ok to continue using these shells (tisn't like serious wear/damage) and change to 10w40 and hope she'll run good for awhile.
or waste alot more cash plasti gauging then replace all the shells brand new and then run 10w40 semi?

SirChris

Educated Bodger
So when do you need to do this just on things like Paul's when you have done the whole engine. Just when you wearing the stuff in.

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
So when do you need to do this just on things like Paul's when you have done the whole engine. Just when you wearing the stuff in.
Whole engine only I'd say, not worth the risk wearing other engine components excessively to bed in a couple of bearings a bit faster imo...

frank

Club Member
woopsy. maybe shoulda ran 10w40 mineral eh

wonder if its ok to continue using these shells (tisn't like serious wear/damage) and change to 10w40 and hope she'll run good for awhile.
or waste alot more cash plasti gauging then replace all the shells brand new and then run 10w40 semi?
Best check the clearance first eh paul :) 2.5" thou service limit

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ok check clearances, sort out the rings and fill with 10w40 semi now onwards, and see if she seals any better.

whole tub of 20w50 gonna be gathering spider webs now :p

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
mom called me tday saying my two parcels from USA has arrived but the UPS fella was asking for £60! wtfo_O

last time my rings only had a £19 import tax so what the heck? anyway mom had to pay him £60 cash for the items and I'll check whats going on once I'm home.

so there's two parcels, odd, could one be the 4 XC7200 rings and the other small box is the single XC7150? seems overkill.
each box has a UPS invoice of £29.41 for import tax totaling £58.82
this ain't right

lifted the bigger box and what the?! it's quite weighty for just a set of ringso_O

DSC08702.JPG

opened it up and flippin heck its a whole set of pistons n rings:eek: I hope someone didn't accidentally send a whole set of XC7200 rings with pistons?

DSC08703.JPG

looked at the ring-set box, nope its a totally different ring set and pistons n everything.

DSC08705.JPG

last clue was the included invoice which says ship to: modern racing in houston tx.
googling shows its for "modern performance racing products" in Houston TX, parcel is a long way from its client :/

opening the other smaller box and phew, least I got my rings :D

DSC08706.JPG

DSC08707.JPG

rang JE bout the mis-delivered parcel and at first sebastian joked "quick put it on ebay lol"
Doh! that didn't occur to me cos it is like $400 worth here :p
but suppose i was too slow to realise and way too kind to let em know eh.

anyway, this item needs to go back cos it's not mine, he's abit puzzled how to arrange returning this item via ups but we agreed I scan him the invoice so he can trace what happened n how my address was slapped on someones order, handled by a different salesman. then Seb'll look into arranging a way of return.
they better refund me the £30 for this items import tax.

..forgot to mention total cost for future reference:
each ringset is $16.65
5 x $16.65 = $83.25 sub total
add $82.25 freight = $165.50 total (£105.62)
plus £29.41 import tax = total £135.03 to hopefully fix this oil issue (could buy another whole 1.3 block for that) o_O

plus the £29.41 tax for the mistaken parcel which will hopefully be refunded

Last edited:
If I was you I would be straight on the phone to ups, you should never pay the delivery driver for anything. If there was import taxes their accounts office will send you an invoice

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
twas my mom who received it so wouldn't know bout that, she phoned me and I thought just pay and I'll deal with it later long as there's receipt.

they have a c.o.d. sign on em (Collect On Delivery) where the driver collects payment in person for the amount shown (I'm guessing twas Customs who slapped the COD sticker on)

requesting money in person up front before being given the parcel does seem rather sudden n brutal (courier told mom either pay now or he takes it back to warehouse) they should at least send a letter in advance to prepare the recipient :confused:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
have the the expanders proved to be 1.57mm bigger in circumference then paul ?

haven't opened the box yet. too busy sorting this mess out and arranging b&b for little holiday tomorrow and aload of work to do for urm, work. not enough time to check

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
haven't opened the box yet. too busy sorting this mess out and arranging b&b for little holiday tomorrow and aload of work to do for urm, work. not enough time to check

oh fookit, lets spare some time off work for ya

XC7150 on the left, XC7200 on the right

DSC08708.JPG

here's the XC7150, will be using the oil rings here

DSC08709.JPG

and here's the XC7200

DSC08710.JPG

but ooh look at this. the bigger 72mm expander is a traditional vertically wavy type compared to the laterally wavy type of the smaller 71.5mm expander in the background

DSC08711.JPG

the XC7150 expander appears to sit roughly slightly larger than the XC7200, but is just a guess.
can't compare their size with my bake bean tin method cos their internal dia and where the oil rail sits on the expander is different.

DSC08712.JPG
DSC08713.JPG

the XC7150 oil rail (top) is just a fraction smaller than the XC7200 (bottom)

DSC08714.JPG
DSC08716.JPG

the XC7150 2nd ring is stamped N150 whereas the XC7200 just has "N"

DSC08717.JPG
DSC08718.JPG

the smaller top ring has a bronze coating while the larger XC7200 is just shiny and machined

DSC08720.JPG

Last edited:

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Good ol Paul :) I'm sure you'll make JAE if your curiosity keeps winning :D
Next it'll be
I wonder how well they fit
To
I wonder how the engine performs when they're fitted
To finally
I wonder how many burgers are on the bbq at JAE ;)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
this is the spec of the wrongly sent piston set

DSC08721.JPG

also a big disclaimer on the box saying these forged pistons are not designed to meet public road emissions, they're for Puwerrr
Woopsy. we'll see if it passes MOT with the stock exhaust quite soon, if not then there's a problem :/

DSC08722.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Good ol Paul :) I'm sure you'll make JAE if your curiosity keeps winning :D
Next it'll be
I wonder how well they fit
To
I wonder how the engine performs when they're fitted
To finally
I wonder how many burgers are on the bbq at JAE ;)

usually surprise myself when I focus my mind to it :D

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
LOL, the amount of people using JE pistons on 'pollution controlled vehicles' will be collossal but bless the good old US of A to see it that the legal department implements a disclaimer on their to cover their backsides ;)

Nice to see the possibility of some progress Paul :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
I'm currently working my brains off 15-20hrs day to complete these damn demos ready for 5th Sept. Then that's only a week to carefully rebuild n fit n check the engine n everything else. In my exhausted state imho not sure I can make the first day JAE.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Haven't even considered or even researched into which tent to buy yet
If you can imagine yourself in a single room 4 man for 4 days the. Go for it... if you feel you'll be too cooped up with all your gear then a twin room tent is your best bet. Only £50 iirc

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ohhffs this process of returning the wrong pistons back to USA via UPS is taking the utter piss :mad:

facts are:
  • JE mislabelled someones order to deliver to me,
  • I had to pay £29 import tax for it,
  • I emailed scans of import tax receipt and customers invoice,
  • sebastian supposedly informed monica in another dept to sort collection,
  • I received no email from monica bout any arrangements or what to do,
  • only received an automated non-reply email from UPS systems saying that JE arranged a UPS collection but with no info on when or how,
  • apparantly the UPS guy came next day 14:00 but I didn't know, and parents were out
  • he came the second time at 13:00 when mom was home but the damn guy was asking bout some invoice for value of item before they can send to USA so another failed attempt, he gave this brief guideline list and wrote "require invoices for country of origin", WTF so they need the invoice of this customers order?
  • I rang sebastian again bout this and he said I should've been emailed the RMA# from monica, NOPE. ok so he went on system, grabbed and emailed the RMA # to me and said I just have to write that number on the box and the UPS guy'll collect n stick his label on it...oko_O
  • so this morning I took morning off work to personally wait and sort it out with the UPS guy. he just came at 12:30 for final attempt, showed him the £29 import tax receipt I paid and the actual customers invoice that was in the box stating $411 value. he said no no no that's the other customers invoice for them. "YOU" have to provide the invoice stating where from, where to, reason for sending, value of item. k twas third final attempt and pissed off.:eek:
WHAT THE FECKIN HELL?
->ME<- the customer in UK who's been sent a wrong parcel by a US company has to pay import tax to first accept it and find it's wrong and then ->ME<- has to waste time n effort to WRITE a friggin invoice for the courier so that UPS has the info for customs to ship off to USA.

this is a frickin farce, JE should be dealing with all this mess cos it's their fault and the missing "monica" should be providing all info and docs I "the UK customer" needs for the courier to collect without any hassle and send their way.

feel I'm wasting my time calling JE internationally if they're not lifting their finger and should just not bother the effort of giving the damn wrong package back even if its not mine.
like DILLIGAF?o_O

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
well I emailed seb bout
how the UPS guy didn't accept the customers invoice in the box and requested that I made an invoice for this particular return shipment,
I wasn't informed by anyone of these requirements nor received any essential docs to print off,
and asked if they need it returned soon and if I should instead arrange delivery myself n send em the bill.

he replied

he is wrong, this is simply a return, the original invoice is plenty sufficient. I have not heard of a driver rejecting a return due to the invoice.
As much as we would like the package back ,you should not suffer because of our error. We are ok with waiting.

The parcel must be returned on our UPS account so don;t bother trying to find a altenate shipper.

I will go and talk to my shipping manager.

Sebastian

the UPS was kinda arrogant tbh.

hmm that automated email from UPS confirming JE's collection titled "UPS Label Created" did contain shipping info, wonder if I should've printed that off for the guy?

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Tell them to sod off, if they want it back they can do the work, as far as I'm concerned all you should ever of had to do was open the soor and hand the guy the parcel. Everying else is there job.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Tell them to sod off, if they want it back they can do the work, as far as I'm concerned all you should ever of had to do was open the soor and hand the guy the parcel. Everying else is there job.

just covering my bum sending this wrong package back as a good will incase twas traced back to my addr that the item was stolen.

indeed shoulda been that easy but dealing with any global post have always been anything but easy. and my mom doesn't understand much english to deal with such ppl, and even I struggled to understand abit.

just looking back I think that automated UPS email titled "UPS Label Created ###" contained most of the info the guy was asking except for item value and reason.

if that was the email I was suppose to print and show him, someone should've at least informed me what exactly to do rather than ping out an automated collection order and expect me to know the whole global postal system and what to do

What i know of the global postal service is...

All parcels need documentation, last package I sent abroad needed 3 separate packing invoices. All of them detailing what the item was, where it was going, where it came from and the value.

Some companies also what to know if it's a gift or a purchase (online or otherwise), this will effect tax in receiving country.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
What i know of the global postal service is...

All parcels need documentation, last package I sent abroad needed 3 separate packing invoices. All of them detailing what the item was, where it was going, where it came from and the value.

Some companies also what to know if it's a gift or a purchase (online or otherwise), this will effect tax in receiving country.

jeez I shoulda kept my mouth shut when I received the wrong package eh:eek:o_O

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Right I've been working my brains out soo hard recently trying to finish these damn apps for work and now it's all done as far as I can go.
back home having supper, I'm mentally and physically ruined and time for a long rest. now my week holiday starts and we begin work on the engine.
god knows if I can make it in time :rolleyes:

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Right I've been working my brains out soo hard recently trying to finish these damn apps for work and now it's all done as far as I can go.
back home having supper, I'm mentally and physically ruined and time for a long rest. now my week holiday starts and we begin work on the engine.
god knows if I can make it in time :rolleyes:
You can do it :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Hopefully a break from the engine (albeit work) may give you fresh enthusiasm :)
You'll be ready in good time

well work was more stressful tbh cos it was an unrealistic deadline (create 2 massive apps within 2weeks), normal 9-5 hrs won't work hence I had to prioritise 110% effort to work 15-20hrs each day which pushed me mentally n physically.

but now that that's over n done for now, I can get on with the car, which is a more relaxed pace :p

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member

well lets begin with gapping the new oil rings to 0.381mm (at 2:30), then test the oil ring tension with the new bigger expanders (at 9:00)

when I stretched the old expanders, the oil rings stuck out too far which resulted in a trapped bent ring.
whereas the new expanders don't stick out too much therefore less likely to get trapped

DSC08724.JPG

tested the ring drag and Frank they are all round bout 5kg with the bigger expanders :D feels like alot of drag but at least it looks like it scrapes the bore alot drier.

cleaned all the sealant off the block (15:00) then retapped the main bolt holes (18:00)

btw that piston 3 which had a big gouge out of the skirt, the bore also showed signs of touching. more pics later

DSC08723.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member

cleaning the carbon off the pistons from this

DSC08725.JPG

with abit of scotchpad and carb cleaner

DSC08727.JPG

all clean

DSC08728.JPG

cleaned the big end threads (7:30)

ring grooves all scraped clean and fitted rings, nice n shiny (12:30)

DSC08729.JPG

getting rings into the bore is always tricky but just have to be brutal n whack em in fast and they're all in now (19:00)

DSC08730.JPG

looking further at that cyl3 marking, noticed that all the other cyl like #2 here, the base of the bore is rounded n smooth (23:00)

DSC08731.JPG

but look at cyl3, there's clearly a gouge on the edge, and on the other side too as well as that score on the wall and piston skirt. its the width of the big end so it seems that something to do with the big end has struck that region (I'm guessing its from when the big ends first came loose n almost came off :/ )

DSC08733.JPG

crank fitted (24:30)

cleaned and fitted the crank cage (27:00)

Last edited: