• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Ok although I really wanna start her right now it pains me to decide on aborting tonight cos its too dark so the cameras won't work and this poor ancient charger is gonna take awhile to get it up to 12.6v

So another unfortunate delay bahh :(
And hurts me more that I'll have to fork out another £145 soon from such a stupid error.

Suppose at least its just the battery that's damaged at the moment and not the expensive engine

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
replacing this battery is gonna suck.
the cheapest price is £138.86 from JJC race & rally but not in stock till 9days.
also on ebay its least £147 but won't be delivered till est 9th may which is abit tight schedule.
which to order eh

think I need to check with JJC when it'll be available tomorrow

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
been on fast charge for the past 2hrs and it kinda raised up from 5-10v but then really struggling/snailing along 11v.
I dunno if its really truly wrecked and not reach/hold 12-13v

been on fast charge for the past 2hrs and it kinda raised up from 5-10v but then really struggling/snailing along 11v.
I dunno if its really truly wrecked and not reach/hold 12-13v
That would be irritating... is it a fragile battery then? mines been left on slow charge for ages before and been fine.

replacing this battery is gonna suck.
the cheapest price is £138.86 from JJC race & rally but not in stock till 9days.
also on ebay its least £147 but won't be delivered till est 9th may which is abit tight schedule.
which to order eh

think I need to check with JJC when it'll be available tomorrow

For 5% discount put EBay5 into the discount box on there website Paul

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
It was accidentally left on slow charge for 10hrs starting from 11.5v and was fizzing at 13.2v

Unplugged and it shortly settled to 12.8v
That was since she last ran bout month ago

Odyssey states 3-4hrs to fully charge but I guess that stat is ruined now

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
For 5% discount put EBay5 into the discount box on there website Paul

Ooh £132 delivered, thx Paul.

But still means they don't have any in stock at the mo.

Gonna see if it can be charged to 12.6v n hold steady tonight.
If not then I'll have to clench n pay £155 for a replacement asap

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
now the multimeters at 12.3v while charging. its rising very slowly although suppose it had to charge from being fully discharged.
lets continue tomorrow

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
yup everything's wired up and the new alternator would make 14v at the battery so it should charge. its just the battery itself has failed to hold charge since I overcharged it exactly 1 week ago.

last night at midnight it just reached 12.6v while on charge, overnight it's now settled itself down to 11.9v (0.7v difference between charging and actual voltage).
so tonight I'll continue charging till the charge voltage just reaches 13v to start her up

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ah just saw its actually 4-6hrs to recharge, so prob another 2 more hrs to charge tonight. although it should normally hold it for 1-2yrs, it barely held 1 week. time to replace

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Be careful, overchargine causes hydrogen and oxygen to be released from the battery... it also leaves concentrated sulphuric acid, which is why the battery isn't performing.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
the windows n garage is vented so we're fine but as u say the damage is prob already done so this battery is redundant and will need replacing asap.

but I just rang JJC rally to check if its in stock, told its on back order but due in this week (or later tday) and the agonizing debate is:
1. wait for their website stock icon to tick green and then it'll just cost £132 for next day delivery
2. pay £155 now for the one on ebay that'll deliver it next day by friday

last night their webpage said UK mainland delivery usually within 9 days. tday it says 8days so by that logic it may not be in stock till next week.

I think the verdict will be dependant on if the battery can be charged n working tonight.
if it works temporarily then I suppose I could wait for JJC's stock and pay less to get it before PPC.
but if it fails to hold charge to start on its own then I'll need to urgently order the expensive one to get here asap.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
thx reflex & seb

my 32Ah Odyssey & bracket is 250x97x156 while the 18Ah Haze is 181x76x167
alot narrower, abit lower but too long

would require redrilling the floor hole and/or new bracket.
ordering another odyssey would be less hassle and faster to fit (especially if the battery here doesn't work tonight)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
I highly doubt JJC will have the odyssey stocked in time.
sodit lets order the £155 odyssey now before 3pm to dispatch tonight n get here on friday so least I'll have a fixed battery on the weekend.
if tonight the battery charges back up fine and actually holds it for afew days (doubt it) then I could always send the new one back.

done..impulse buying mode hopefully over

SirChris

Educated Bodger
I highly doubt JJC will have the odyssey stocked in time.
sodit lets order the £155 odyssey now before 3pm to dispatch tonight n get here on friday so least I'll have a fixed battery on the weekend.
if tonight the battery charges back up fine and actually holds it for afew days (doubt it) then I could always send the new one back.

done..impulse buying mode hopefully over
lol i know the feeling... I just forked 200 for a hoist in the end... you sit there and your like..."sod it"

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Oh SH*&%*$&(&^$(&^$(&^(&T F*&(^(&kk!!

this is BAD, something awful has happened, loose metal hitting crank, suspect the windage tray/scraper has loosened and hit the crank :eek::oops:

fook

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Can you not sort that out from beneath?

yes that's my next task. drain oil & filter, remove downpipe, sump off and assess the damage

I'm hoping its just the windage scraper thing lightly touching one of the bigends with just a scratch (think it sounds like once every rev) so I'll just grind that bloomin scraper feature off

plugs look rich but once again the piston top shows the same wet oil :/

yknow if this doesn't work out, this forged project is just gonna die

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
she still turns over fine so its not seized. tis just that awful clank clank clank whenever it spins. so fingers x there's not much damage when I take the sump off soon

this is another dark moment in mine & polly2's life. something tells me this forged piston project is never ever gonna work and seriously losing faith & money in it.

so I've basically got a car at home with 3 broken engines, not good

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
k so tdays story goes:

uploaded the forged engine map, primed oil & fuel and started her up @ 08:25
held revs at 2k till 82C, bled coolant and shut off

slight smoky exhaust, pistons were slightly oily again

next gently drove out afew miles through town to warm her up but 2miles in @ 13:00 something gradually came loose against the crank causing the awful clank clank clank, SHUT OFF

quick crank and yup something is hitting the crank, suspect the windage tray bolts have vibrated loose.

ffs what to do now?

rang dad and as you know he lol
he popped over in the peugeot with rope. urm how'd ya do this? paranoid of which route to take towards home with no right junction turns and double lane,. whichever route, its gonna be embarrasing. good thing it happened early and close to home rather than in a country road further away.

now its home and dreading more work

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Hope it turns out to be a cheap fix Paul! I love the way you blooped yourself on the video - very polite :D.

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Ahh Paul sorry to hear mate. Its nice to see you are human like the rest of us.. F'ing and blinding. You are to polite I would not have bleeped the videos. Keep us updated.

signature...please ignore anything I say...when using my phone it is either bad grammar or rubbish spelling.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
just sounds like a big-end has shaken loose maybe paul ? (sump off and loctite job ?)

yea it does sound like it cos it gradually appeared during deceleration where engine braking is trying to pull the big end caps away from the rods until it strikes the windage tray scraper. I'm pretty sure I tightened those big ends exactly to spec.

actually yaknow the moment I heard that noise I instantly thought of the episode of topgears cheap italian supercar challenge when clarksons oil starved maserati finally failed catastrophically @01:24 and dads response on phone was @02.40

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Ahh Paul sorry to hear mate. Its nice to see you are human like the rest of us.. F'ing and blinding. You are to polite I would not have bleeped the videos. Keep us updated.

signature...please ignore anything I say...when using my phone it is either bad grammar or rubbish spelling.

I am only human and when something this expensive and with this much time & effort fails, damn right I really pissed n furious n bleeping n stuff
those forged pistons are nothing but guaranteed trouble

SirChris

Educated Bodger
I am only human and when something this expensive and with this much time & effort fails, damn right I really pissed n furious n bleeping n stuff
I know how ya feel. BUT you will get there man, and once you are... you will be pushing power only we can hope for. Not much longer and you will be happy with it. just do not lose hope!

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Paul i feel for you with this forged engine, really hope its a simple and free repair

ta stan. I really hope its just a loose windage tray but franks mention of a loose big end really worries me. if its ruined then its been a really short "game over man"
just really feeling down about this engine, should be crying but I don't or can't so I curse myself instead :p

SirChris

Educated Bodger
In all the great words my mother threw out at me as a child, i bless you with my mothers best bit of advice... "Man the **** up, I didnt raise no flower wearing girl. So get back on you bike and finish the job"

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
In all the great words my mother threw out at me as a child, i bless you with my mothers best bit of advice... "Man the #### up, I didnt raise no flower wearing girl. So get back on you bike and finish the job"

:D what a gr8 mom u have. everyone around me says I should think about giving up n getting another car (k11 or not) cos I wasted so much time money effort on her but I think differently.
yes I have tantrum moments like anyone else but I don't give up that easily.
coming soo far along with this much investment, what's the point of giving up and losing everything I put my heart n soul into?

this is the hardest last few miles of the marathon with a small trip up. as ur mom says, dust urself off n get to that bloomin finish line in sight

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
:D what a gr8 mom u have. everyone around me says I should think about giving up n getting another car (k11 or not) cos I wasted so much time money effort on her but I think differently.
yes I have tantrum moments like anyone else but I don't give up that easily.
coming soo far along with this much investment, what's the point of giving up and losing everything I put my heart n soul into?

this is the hardest last few miles of the marathon with a small trip up. as ur mom says, dust urself off n get to that bloomin finish line in sight
The fact that you've invested so much in this car is a reason to soldier on. Yes it's a struggle, but it'll be all the more special to you when you finally reach the end because of that. In the words of J.F.Kennedy: "We choose to build Micras not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

frank

Club Member
dont worry if it is a loose big-end paul :) we,ve had it with our kart engines mate (brand new ones !) we just fire some loctite on (purple low strength for studs, or high strength for nuts) and they,ve run fine afterwards

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
dont worry if it is a loose big-end paul :) we,ve had it with our kart engines mate (brand new ones !) we just fire some loctite on (purple low strength for studs, or high strength for nuts) and they,ve run fine afterwards

I switched it off as soon as I could to reduce any damage.
If the big end did loosen out, I hope it didn't damage the crank journal or bearing shells badly.

I always thought the manuals said just dry fit and angle tighten the big end cap nuts but from now on I'll definitely thread lock em

frank

Club Member
yes i always threadlock big-ends paul (mainly because i dont use torquewrench) it will probably just have squashed the tag that stops the shells from spinning, but the surface,s should be fine :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
yes i always threadlock on big-ends paul (mainly because i dont use torquewrench) it will probably just have squashed the tag that stops the shells from spinning, but the surface,s should be fine :)

damn another expensive lesson to learn the hard way.

well lets take the sump off tonight and look at the damage..