• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
bah i painted the cover at 6pm and not sure if its gonna dry proper cos its stil like rubbery tacky. really wanna laquer it ready for tomorrow or should i leave it to cure overnight? laquer tomorrow morning and hope it dries by the night?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
OH FFS this ferry is not going well at all:mad:

first i phoned steam packet co and asked lady how much for 1 person & car return ticket liverpool - douglas from 29th-31st and she quoted least £245? huh
gonna take ages finding a cheaper ticket on phone cos its +10p/min so instead do it online. spoke bout problems with account activation n she passed over to technical. after a long call eventually managed to loggin.

set the dates n locations etc, picked the cheapest one at £225 5day return offer, booked and checked receipt and...hang on WTF?
it was from Tues 28th 20:30 depart from liverpool and return Wed 29th 16:30 depart!!
f@~ook
ain't gonna explore an island in half a day lol
immediately cancelled booking. hope i didn't get much of a cancellation fee, hope.

ok try again
set depart 29th and return 31st and nearest reasonable one was £252 & £6 reserve seat & £3 creditcard charge

32249508.jpg

paying that much and waking up that real early to get the ferry back home is not gonna work.
all them cheap offers last night just sold out like hot cakes FFS

skinner I'm afraid I'm gonna have to give this a miss for now :(

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ok now that my plans messed up, mike what if after seeing my cousin on monday, I make my way down devon on tues to meet up (check if jays ok with that?), visit friend in london on wed then begin heading up to wales n scotland?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
the laquer i applied last night had dried this morning and is smooth n non-tacky now

DSC07420.JPG

carefully trimmed the paint off the lettering

DSC07421.JPG

polishing the excess paint off with dremel

DSC07423.JPG

good as new

DSC07424.JPG
DSC07425.JPG

cleaned underside

DSC07427.JPG

all fitted back to normal n wait for sealant to dry. lets hope she runs perfectly without self destructing this time :)

DSC07428.JPG

DSC07431.JPG
DSC07429.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Ooh ooh I was just curious bout getting a ferry to douglas the week after and behold they have a slot for heysham to douglas on Mon 3rd sept depart 14:15, spend tues with skinner, return Wed 5th depart 15:00 back to liverpool and back home to prep for JAE on the weekend. and all for bargain £186!! (plus reserve seats n card surcharge) result :)
immediately booked and skinner is free on the tues.

scaled.php

guess we're going to isle of man after all :p

it might be better for jay because he said he couldnt make the friday due to the dartmouth regatta so fingers crossed..... I will probably be a little sleepy but it should be all good

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
just took her out for a drive and much better now, no clunking, no diesel sound, just a smooth quiet rumble of the exhaust :) ready for her voyage

James

Chairman
Just checked back into this thread again with JAE looming to see how it's all coming together. Once again blown away with the work you put in and the detail you put into this thread!

It's a shame I'm not about next weekend, I'm in Norfolk from Friday to Sunday!

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Ah, just thought I'd search isle of man on my tomtom and its showing no roads at all there :/ looked up in googlemap and theres loads routes to get lost in. Eek

I don't have any iphone or android to access googlemap, just an ipod touch which'll need a mifi device or sumthing :(

So either run around the island like a blind chicken or print out a big googlemap of the island roads n actually 'read' a map?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
island can't be that hard to navigate, gonna print a big google map and I got plenty of time anyway to find my way to the b&b or ferry

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
luckily its now working perfectly fine with no odd bad noises.
one day belly we'll get to meet

tday replaced the wipers and the tweaked the arms to rest & work properly

DSC07433.JPG

lots of prepping n packing. tis just for a week n half n I bring far too much stuff :p

planned the journey and its gonna be another tight ship.

mon 27 - see cousin in cardiff
tues 28 - see mike & jay in devon -> see m8 in london
wed 29 - spend day in london
thurs 30 - explore wales
fri 31 - explore lake district -> stop by glasgow/edinburgh
sat 1 - explore NW scotland
sun 2 - back down to glasgow/edinburgh via East side of scotland
mon 3 - down to heysham to catch ferry to IOM
tues 4 - explore isle of man
wed 5 - catch ferry back to liverpool - > home
thurs 6 - checkup & prep for show
weekend 7-9 = JAE

prob not gonna camp on the roadtrip cos of friggin rain but will camp at JAE

time to book the b&b

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
another hurdle at IOM is the lack of O2/giffgaff mobile network coverage which I use here. if so then worst case I'll be technologically lost, deaf and isolated in isle of mans bermuda triangle. eek

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ok looking at some guides there might be some roaming coverage for O2 networks so calls will be charged as international. prob txt skinner instead of calling :p

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
taking millions of googlemap screengrabs of the island n stitchin em together in photoshop, i've only just covered the tip of the island and my eyes r stingin, it's gonna take forever

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
k given up on photoshopping the map together cos its time consuming, eyes stinging and me dads satnav shows all the roads anyway, interface isn't as good as tomtom but meh it works

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
Time to get an Android phone Paul eh, Google map (best satnav ever) can now download vast areas to keep them in cache so you can nav without any online data plan (if you're abroad for example, so you avoid roaming fees).

edit:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Omg i just discovered i actually have an app on my ipod touch called NavFree which includes IOM plus there was a setting Turn Gps On so even if i had no wifi it the ipod has gps to locate me offline :)

Wow thats the navigation sorted :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ok tested the satnavs on the move and the navfree on me ipod touch obviously doesn't work or it never gets a good signal. me dads Syrius on the other hand takes afew mins to locate the satellites before getting a good enough signal but once it has, it can follow me and shout directions near the junctions so it works alright :p

ready to go

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
cars fully packed. the rear squats 10mm lower than the front. went for a drive to check nothing rubs and no rattles.

certainly feels loaded from the smooth'er ride. the extra inertia on the rear coils makes the dampers work harder and ride over bumps much better instead of simply launching the lightweight backend up.

WOT pull up an incline and the turbo hardly notices the weight lol :D

DSC07434.JPG

won't bother cleaning her or the wheel nuts cos its gonna get mucky anyway. will wait till I'm back before JAE.
simon the cat accompanying me along this time :)

DSC07436.JPG

Last edited:

Jay101

Black&Yellow
I'm dreading the drive with my brother to jae and fully loaded, can't take passengers in the back as it is, might have to swap rear for 35mm and the swap again at show ;)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
I'm dreading the drive with my brother to jae and fully loaded, can't take passengers in the back as it is, might have to swap rear for 35mm and the swap again at show ;)

ya mean there's so much weight in the back that the susp bottoms out on the bumpstops from coils being too soft & short? is it rubbing?might wanna avoid any major road bumps or go slowly over em if ya wanna keep ur spine intact :p
or ya mean theres no space for rear passengers?

Jay101

Black&Yellow
ya mean there's so much weight in the back that the susp bottoms out on the bumpstops from coils being too soft & short? is it rubbing?might wanna avoid any major road bumps or go slowly over em if ya wanna keep ur spine intact :p
or ya mean theres no space for rear passengers?
I have seats in the back, just got soft suspension lol im hoping the Panhard rod will do some wonders :) normally scuffs on offside rear. I'm trying to pack and travel as little as possible :D

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Heya quick holiday status report.

Dropped off the forged engine at me cousin in cardiff but his machinist is off for a month.

Using his emissions tool, we've managed to lean out the idle and 3k afr towards 18afr and get the cat hot enough that this turbo setup will pass the MOT :)

Went to see mike and jay in devon/exeter, ppl drive really quickly down south. But in pushing the boost too long i think the cheapo HG has blown abit.

I'm thinking rather than carry on limpin around the trip with a blown gasket, I'm gonna have to abort the trip to wales maybe scotland, go straight home tomorrow asap, replace the HG with the stronger genuine one over next few days before heading over to IOM

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Dont go blowing it up over here mate i've got enough micra parts all over the place as it is ;)

not to worry cos the parts are all over mine at the mo as I'm replacing the blown gasket with a stronger genuine one now. after driving all the way back home and its 3am, gaskets replaced n cams tightened. tis about as much as i can handle. finish it tomorrow

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Hey don't worry.

That cheapo gasket was prob bound to blow whenever it was pushed too far, whether it was in devon or in IOM

I'm actually thankful we tested it till it blew in the uk now where i could get back home to fix in time otherwise I woulda been in big trouble if it happened over in IOM cos i wouldn't be able to open the taps on the road or i'd miss the ferry.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
ppl drive really quickly down south

Welcome to the M3 / A303 ;) Even on the M1, M40, M42, it's not uncommon to be exceeding the speed limit with enough margin to get banned and to be in the inside lane with everyone except lorries passing you.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Welcome to the M3 / A303 ;) Even on the M1, M40, M42, it's not uncommon to be exceeding the speed limit with enough margin to get banned and to be in the inside lane with everyone except lorries passing you.

Lol thats what happened. Some lorries where surprisingly at 70 on the inside, everyone was at 80 in the middle and occasional c@!ks on the outside at 90+

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Lol thats what happened. Some lorries where surprisingly at 70 on the inside, everyone was at 80 in the middle and occasional c@!ks on the outside at 90+

Don't forget the middle lane drivers who refuse to change lane unless they need the exit ;)