• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
crap i'm stuck in a rut with this damn emissions issue.

i rang some mot centres and i can't tweak the car or be within the garage due to regs and that i could break the 2-3k machine and my 1993 car will need a cat test whatever its state.
i tried looking for a diy gas tester to save the hassle but the £80 gunson analyser is only 0.5% accurate and useless

when ed was tuning it, it smelled eggy on the first pull run. could it have wrecked the cat and so causing the mot emission machine to read 0.75 - 1% CO even though my wideband says 14.7afr?
should i then invest in ANOTHER £80 cat?

jeez this is a complete PITA
i should prob just revert back to stock exhaust cos that has more chances of passing without spending anymore :/

frank

Club Member
its a shame you,re not closer paul :( i have a mani/cat/downpipe you,re welcome to borrow, and postage would be about £30 each way :eek:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
its a shame you,re not closer paul :( i have a mani/cat/downpipe you,re welcome to borrow, and postage would be about £30 each way :eek:

i've got my old stock exhaust frank, cheers.
yeah a real inconvenience cos i'll need to swap the entire exhaust over, remove the IC & piping, get it through MOT, refit the turbo system all before castle combe on 3rd

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
when ed was tuning it, it smelled eggy on the first pull run. could it have wrecked the cat and so causing the mot emission machine to read 0.75 - 1% CO even though my wideband says 14.7afr?

That's interesting, how often to you re-calibrate your LC-1? 0.75-1% CO is signifying your AFR is somewhere around 14.1 to 14.2:1 assuming either is measuring accurately.

martinb

Ex. Club Member
Just swap back to stock injectors, disconnect actuator and disconnect of the throttle body

Put your NA ecu in and get a mot

Simples... ;)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Might not pass with the turbo on cos the secondary cat can't get hot nuff. Even with wastegate loose it'll still produce some boost wont it?

martinb

Ex. Club Member
Noddie ran his like that for a while and made almost no boost , as far as I can remember it you hose clip the wastegate arm open it won't make any boost, not at what the mot will test it for

Where are you Paul I know a guy pm me

At what revs do they test emissions at? Surely you could bung them a drink?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
They rev it at bout 3k. I'm near middlesbrough.
The issue is still that the 2nd cat isn't doin enough, even on the janspeed layout. Stock exhaust will prob pass without worrying.

martinb

Ex. Club Member
Where the turbo downpipe meet the Exhuast is there a flange? Could you not use the stock exhaust and weld a flange to fit the turbo flange,?

Therefore keeping the stock second cat? I always though if it was a new cat they would pass ok?

Cant you wack the normal injectors in and normal ecu with normal Exhuast and it will pass?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Where the turbo downpipe meet the Exhuast is there a flange? Could you not use the stock exhaust and weld a flange to fit the turbo flange,?

Therefore keeping the stock second cat? I always though if it was a new cat they would pass ok?

Cant you wack the normal injectors in and normal ecu with normal Exhuast and it will pass?

if ya look at page 28 post 1362 the position of the cat on the turbo system was too far back and off angle (cos forgot to mention to welder) so the two systems won't fit
i ain't got much time, energy or money to mess about so gonna go for a route that'll guarantee it'll pass.

using just the 2nd cat on the old janspeed system or deactivated turbo, even if its fairly new, won't pass the MOT emissions easily

fri night to sat night will begin the swapping, going to flamingo land on sunday then book MOT next week, then refit turbo for castle combe

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
comparison of the prev turbo remap using low compression forged pistons against the current turbo remap using a stock engine
RED/ORANGE: new remap with stock engine
GREEN/BLUE: prev remap with low comp pistons

hmm seems the stock engine has less torque & power (maybe the 15w40 oils too thick or the higher compressions limiting how much we can push?)

2011-09-19 turbo remap power_torque.jpg

AFR been leaned out, maybe save abit of fuel

2011-09-19 turbo remap power_AFR.jpg

boost also peaks later at 4200rpm rather than 3900rpm

2011-09-19 turbo remap power_boost.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
anyone have a shell v-power card? i'm wondering how to get one cos the website says just pick one up from any shell garage but no shell garage has em, only the normal drivers card.
i read in a forum to just use the normal card and a month later they send u an upgraded v-power card?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
turbo n pipes r off, injectors swapped and stock manifold fitted but really ####ed that the adapter bung on the mani for the lambda is missing, why the f did i remove it grr mind playing memory tricks again.
i'm gonna have to ask sister to drive me to scrappy to grab another bung

baguete

Site Supporter
Same here mate, even with the turbo setup no finished yet, i will remove the whole turbo stuff, install another 1.3 engine (bought it a month ago and want to check if its ok), stock exhaust and everything... Only after i have all the parts for the next stage i will install all the turbo stuff and some handling mods too, i think that only on next year i will have the car ready for some fun.

Keep it going mate. (Y)

Antony

Ex. Club Member
but they still have to find an exact match.. most testers dont use the matrix. but if you show them the matrix itself they have to do a non cat test.... or they arent following their own rules,..

the reg number comes up with an n/a micra.... not a turbo one.
my reg comes up with a mr2 2.0 gt..... not a 3.0 v6. so its tested as a non cat car as the database does not cater for the specifications of your engine..
it really is very simple..
if the tester is saying about the engine number simply point out that it is n/a on the system...... only a complete arse would continue with a cat test.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Halfway through conversion anyway so wont have to worry bout all that non-cat back of the hand stuff n certain it'll pass now.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
almost had a serious crisis tonight that woulda affected my trip tomorrow and next few days.

right these are the £20 mani gaskets i got from dealers, just some crap graphite ones:wasntme:

DSC05366.JPG

got a 850mm alternator belt and still too long. remeasured the original and was 840mm. bahh so requested a 825mm belt. shop guy must b sick of me now:blush:

DSC05367.JPG

everything stock is back on

DSC05368.JPG

fitted janspeed system and as usual the cat back is soo misaligned its rubbing on the edge of the swaybar and rear bumper. had to lift mid-section fair bit so did this

DSC05371.JPG

uploaded stock map, started her and she takes few cranks to fire compared to just the first crank of the turbo/janspeed system.
hmm there's a slight knocking noise so got out n peeked round and saw a huge pool of oil on the floor YIIIIIIIIIKESSSSS!!
quickly shut her off and FFS i forgot to plug up the turbo oil feed :doh:
how f'ing stupid am Igrr went to garage to see if the plug is on me spare engine, oh fck its actually on me other forged engine which is at my cousins in WALES:doh: alot of swearing follows.

got no bolts of the same thread to plug it.
i have a trip to flamingo land tomorrow morning so if i can't find any solution i'm doomed n have to cancel. can't be insured to drive sisters or moms car cos insurance call centres r closed and won't open in time. enterprise hire r closed on weekends.

DSC05373.JPG

after alot more swearing i figured i'll just tap the turbo adapter bit n tighten a bolt at the end. started engine and just abit of oil still dripping out, garghh.
rummidge around garage to find some form of copper washer and i found this copper pipe support bracket, tightened the bolt through the bracket hole and it works(Y)

DSC05372.JPG

thank fck sake for that.

huge clean up job in the garage floor from oil. little tip: grabbed some flour from kitchen, sprinkled loads on oily floor, wipe with cloth and it dries the floor up :)

test drove her and there's no leaks but damn she's sluggish:p

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
cars not leaking anymore but felt sluggish, have to rev to get any power and uses lotsa fuel.
went to flamingo land was fun but on the way back my alarm remote ran out of battery:doh:
remote won't open doors and turn alarm off so had to open doors manually, alarm goes off, unplug the battery to silence it.

no spare remote batteries nor any maplin nearby and is prob shut on sunday.
the remote uses a small 12v battery so tried hooking it up to the car battery and still won't deactivate the siren.
ended up unplugging the alarm module and driving home.

tday tried me spare alarm remote and still doesn't turn off. damn gonna have to buy a new alarm.

always wanted a cellular alarm that txts me rather than make a racket. anyone recommend a good un?

also checked timing on way to work and twas actually 10deg off, so corrected it and has alot more punch now

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
this badly jigged janspeed system is banging like mad on the rear axle/swaybar.
found that the centre support had drooped down. i wanted a higher & stiffer support that'll move the back end away from the axle alittle so ditch the rubber hanger and made this outa a mitre saw blade:p

DSC05380.JPG

gives more clearance from the swaybar but rear axle still bangs against the pipe when going over some bumps and theres this induction-like gassy noise from the passenger well but thats prob cos of the solid mitre-saw exhaust hanger that's transmitting all the gas flow noise into the chassis

MOT booked for thurs, hopefully pass then swap back to turbo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
alarms fixed. went out to an open countryside road so i can replug the alarm in n have it blastin out without any worry as i try resync the fob. hold button for 4secs release then hold for 2sec release. then the next press it deactivates, phew

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
those metal mesh cats are a real pain to punch through. had to bash several small holes round the outside circle with my biggest flathead screwdriver to weaken the sides, then use a big crowbar to punch it through. didn't come out easy but had to use lota brute force to bang her through.
now just need to finish off the sides

DSC05383.JPG
DSC05384.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
damn MOTgrr
failed cos rear brake pipes excessively corroded:wasntme: another thing to do tonight

couple advisories:
*oil leak - that was friggin oil residue from when i forgot to plug up the oil feed
*steering wheel grip breaking away - as with every micra out there
*rear bonnet raised - duhh i know
*front & rear susp covered up - yeah i know, its to protect em from friggin muck!
*slight NSF wheel bearing play - caused by LSD, isn't serious
*right droplink foul exhaust - meh
*susp hard!? - yes its cos its a sports susp not a stock boat.

emissions no prob. 0.11% CO & 18ppm HC fast idle then 0.08% CO idle

gargh burn this POS

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
got some new male ends but were slightly different

DSC05385.JPG

some filing on the drill fixed that

DSC05386.JPG

new pipes bent by fingers

DSC05387.JPG

god i hate doing brake lines. so messy i got brake fluid dripping all over floor and up down my arms n back, not good.
tested it and drives fine. this is the last straw and itd better pass

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
urhh its soo hot i'm sweating buckets :blush:

took the cat off the stock exhaust and it must be runnin leaner relative to the turbo cos the inlets less carbonated

DSC05390.JPG
DSC05391.JPG

new wheel nuts. later found that the hex was 19mm and not the standard 21mm :doh: have to carry two wheel sockets then eh

DSC05392.JPG

turbo fitted. straightened as many rad fins as i could withstand. undersealed the crossmember

DSC05393.JPG

the new shorter 825mm alternator belt def fits better now

DSC05394.JPG

this is as much of the cat mesh as i'll bash out

DSC05396.JPG

fit new front coils

DSC05400.JPG

previously noticed the front left was higher than usual and found that the lower end had loosened and slowly unscrewed itself whenever i turned the wheel and increase the ride height, woops

DSC05401.JPG

even though the front preload is back to zero its 20mm higher than the rear. can't lower the spring collar cos the spring would unseat whenever the wheel droops so would have to raise the lower hub mount and sacrifice letting the wheel rub the arch whenever it reaches the bumpstops.

went for test drive and all is fine. downpipe rattling against the central engine beam so will sort out tomorrow. took down motorway, WOT in 3rd 10psi boost and gosh, with this decat its never accelerated upto 80 this fast before (or maybe its from driving the dulled down stock system for a week) :grinning:

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
front height sorted

was soldering my infrared thermometer together this morning (was using the inside wiring to wire the alarm remote when it ran outa power last week) and managed to burn edge of my palm with the hot bit, ouch it stings:doh:

trimed off some of the windscreen rubber trim (and blade slipped n made a mess of the a- pillar:doh:) and i believe i found the cause of this annoying a-pillar rattle to be the RH wing rattlin against the pillar. slipped a tiny piece of plastic in and its silent:grinning:

DSC05402.JPG

cars all prepped n ready(Y)

oh and it seems the new wheel nuts are a tad less weighty cos the steering vibrates abit on motorway so for now i'll have to use the old nuts to balance it then order 4 more new nuts nxt week to balance it out but losing the locking nuts

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
steering still vibrates on motorway with the old nuts so i think the rear wheels that i swapped to the front needs balancing. gonna try pass by a tyre shop on the way tomorrow to balance em before going on track

goof luck tomorrow paul, hope it goes well! you have far too much patients with your car, i love it haha!

just dont buy a land rover.... if the micra gives you bad luck then a land rover would push you to suicide!

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
goof luck tomorrow paul, hope it goes well! you have far too much patients with your car, i love it haha!

just dont buy a land rover.... if the micra gives you bad luck then a land rover would push you to suicide!

Lol i'll keep that in mind, not that i can fit a landrover in my garage And get out