OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
whats bagsy 1st ride? never heard that term bfore

neway, clamps came tday

DSC05264.JPG

some pipes were abit too small hence why they were prone to slippin off. so abit of ducktape fixed that

DSC05265.JPG

all clamped up

DSC05266.JPG

maf

DSC05267.JPG

afm

DSC05268.JPG

DSC05269.JPG
DSC05270.JPG

just spent hrs tonight tweaking the inj multi/latency for this mot and it looks like there'll be 2 seperate maps here.

on the normal map with multiplier 252, latency 690, the afr are spot on at idle, cruise and acceleration but runs too rich at 10afr during 2-3k free reving in neutral for MOT.
the alternative MOT map with multiplier 300, latency 400, the afr are spot on at idle, 3k in neutral and gentle cruising but wayy too rich at 9-10afr when accelerating open loop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
phone garage and a seperate emissions test is £10 and MOT is £25. think i'll just put it through mot and if emissions r slightly off i'll try tweak the map or replace the cat or may have to revert back to stock exhaust :/

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Helps if you have a friendly MOT centre so you can play with the mapping with the emissions gear hooked up. My local one let us have a fiddle after it was power mapped so we could set it up properly. Most places are quite shocked when you hook up a laptop and start playing with tables and the emissions magically go into the green ;)

If you can find one that's not interested in an easy fail and milking more money out of you it's not too hard to get an 'MOT map' sorted.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
decided to book the £10 emission test cos if it fails the mot (£27 50% discount offer) and i need to change the exhaust within 10days i would have to pay a partial retest which could be another £27.

tweakin the injectors is such a fiddly long mission, not sure the halfords autocentre will let me tweek it

solarice

Ex. Club Member
If they let you pay about til it passes, just make sure you save the map and keep it somewhere safe...fingers crossed it'll always then pass with that map (not that, thats worked for me haha).

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
just googlin bout how AFR affects the emissions, am i right in thinking:
leaner afr = more NOX & HC
richer afr = more CO2

ain't touched the timing table and dunno if the cat is up for it.
they just rev the engine in neutral during slow & fast idle test right?

frank

Club Member
just googlin bout how AFR affects the emissions, am i right in thinking:
leaner afr = more NOX & HC
richer afr = more CO2

ain't touched the timing table and dunno if the cat is up for it.
they just rev the engine in neutral during slow & fast idle test right?

and i think any unburnt fuel or oil consumption will rocket the HC,s too eh paul, and they use a ratchet thingy from the front of the seat to open the throttle a tad eh

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
k did summore tuning and i might be able to use just the normal mapping.

i first uploaded the mot map where it idles and revs at 14.7afr but too rich when outa loop.

then i switched over to the normal map where the afr are correct except for reving at 2-3k. i held the rev at 3k, the mix initially goes to 10afr, the lambda picks it up, ecu relearns that fuelmap cell and the mix gradually rises up to 14.7 then a misfire, rev & mix dips abit then returns back.

hope the lambda & cat are fit enough for tomorrow

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
bah big probs with emissions.
heated everything up down motorway, stopped, rev to 3k and it stayed down 10afr. so i uploaded the MOT map to reach 14.7 at idle & 3k.

went to garage, he reved to 3k for 30sec, mix goes 14.7 but guy says it initially went 0.3% CO then mostly 1% CO:(
spoke to few shops then phoned Ed and even though the pre-cat mix was right, it sounds like the cat has had it, prob contaminated from the oil leaking forged engine and numerous track days.
looking for a new cat before retesting the levels. local partco says non-approved cat is £112:eek: approved cat is £220:laugh:
online says £70. is there a sports cat for a micra?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
k rang another local partco for the same specific almera/primera cat part # that i have and he could get it tonight for £70

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
yeah just changed back to 10w40 and sticking to it now

got a new cat

DSC05277.JPG

at the inlet of the old cat tis abit carbon sooty

DSC05283.JPG

the outlet looks fine

DSC05282.JPG

new cat of the same model #

DSC05281.JPG

this time its the normal ceramic honeycomb type

DSC05278.JPG

fitted

DSC05284.JPG

not much smoke when starting a slightly warm engine.
i'll see tomorrow morning if it smokes from a cold start.
after JAE i'll retest the emissions with the new cat

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
came back from a fantastic first JAE(Y)
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/46914-sum-up-and-pictures-of-JAE-2011

washer motor is failing again. ducktape holding it together is slipping and wash jets blocking. gonna sealant it together

talking to fellas at jae figured i could get a custom radiator with a thicker core and move the top mount pins back to tilt it forward to miss the turbo inlet elbow. dunno who does custom rads or how much it costs yet.

i missed my chanceee :down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
till next time we meet will :)
was talking to arnold bout getting his glaza ready for his first trackday and we thought a gather & few runs at oulton park would be fun, take u for afew laps round where its meant to be driven :grinning:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
just looking at some open-pit tracks i like and was thinkin its either Oulton Park in november thats £145 on a weekday or £125 on a saturday, or Castle Combe on oct 3/4th for £145

depending on if i have a job after sept, i'm thinking oulton park on a november weekend

gonna phone me trackday cousin to see if he's interested too

just looking at some open-pit tracks i like and was thinkin its either Oulton Park in november thats £145 on a weekday or £125 on a saturday, or Castle Combe on oct 3/4th for £145

depending on if i have a job after sept, i'm thinking oulton park on a november weekend

gonna phone me trackday cousin to see if he's interested too

can i hire a car at my local hire place and track it for the day? lol

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
can i hire a car at my local hire place and track it for the day? lol

lol insurance prob won't cover it and hire place might not be impressed, unless u dont tell em :p
could prob hire a trackday vehicle for a day or do them driving experience things but they only offer afew laps

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
k spoke to me cousin and he can only do castle combe on oct 3rd, afternoon open-pit lane £89. i think adding passengers was £10-25, have to check.
check-in would be from bout 12.30 and pit opens from 1-5pm.

was talkin bout me cooling issue at combe with the puny thin stock rad and she began heating up after 6-7laps just limited to 5k. now running her upto 7k she'll get hotter even faster!
so he says def need a bigger better rad and suggests a civic alu thicker rad may have the same type of fitting config, worth researching into but prob lot cheaper than a custom one. and an oil cooler really kept his past turbo civic temps stable.

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
An oil cooler maybe the way forward... you're just gonna have to find one you like then faff around with the fittings,
But i'm sure you could do it! (Y)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
looking at some civic alloy rads i found this on ebay around £70​
7bd6_12.JPG
slightly smaller overall than the micra but core is 2.5x thicker.​
the lower output pipe is prob too close to the front mount and most likely need to fabricate a new upper support beam.​
also saw this alloy micra rad for £500!!:suspect:​
ahf092micra1float.jpg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
this emissions thing really sucks. guy reved 3k, ecu slowly learns and goes 14.7afr but the test rig reading was varying all over from 0.5 - 0.75 - 1.01% CO and HC was like 120-500 ppm grr
WTH? so rang Ed for a remap asap, tis his bday this weekend. so arranged for next week monday. wonder if there's someone with an emissions tester nearby Ed cos the dyno only has an AFR sensor and i want to be 100% sure it'll pass mot emissions.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Make sure you have a new lambda sensor.. Or it will be a waste of time. Sadly the MOT tester down the road from me has now closed so cant help you there.

HC values sound like the cat was cold or not working correctly. It is fitted the right way round?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Make sure you have a new lambda sensor.. Or it will be a waste of time. Sadly the MOT tester down the road from me has now closed so cant help you there.

HC values sound like the cat was cold or not working correctly. It is fitted the right way round?

yep lambda's brand new. i'll search round for nearby mot centre there who can test it on evening.
cat looked like it'll work either way?
i did have to wait 30mins for the guy to finish other ppls car then drive mine straight over to test so maybe its cooled down abit.
when the revs were slightly above 3k the CO goes 1%, dipping revs slightly it goes 0.75% and at idle its bout 0.5%

maybe i retarded the timing abit too much?

uncertain, hence goin for a proper remap to sort everything out once and for all.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Cats don't work the same both ways:

[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]

The Reduction Catalyst
The reduction catalyst is the first stage of the catalytic converter. It uses platinum and rhodium to help reduce the nitrogen oxide emissions. When such molecules come in contact with the catalyst, the catalyst rips the nitrogen atom out of the molecule and holds on to it, freeing the oxygen in the form of O2. The nitrogen atoms bond with other nitrogen atoms that are also stuck to the catalyst, forming N2.

The Oxidization Catalyst
The oxidation catalyst is the second stage of the catalytic converter. It reduces the unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide by burning (oxidizing) them over a platinum and palladium catalyst. This catalyst aids the reaction of the CO and hydrocarbons with the remaining oxygen in the exhaust gas.
[/FONT]
I'm fairly sure although it was a while ago since I looked that if the cat is fitted backwards, then the efficiecny of the cat is greatly reduced as the second stage depends on the first one doing its job.

As I said, your HC are high, that's why I was wondering this.

uncertain, hence goin for a proper remap to sort everything out once and for all.

that's fine, but will only work if the car is able to work... :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
hmm how do i find out the correct orientation cos there's no marking on it?

found a mot centre called The french connection MOT testing thats 16mins away who can test emission at 5pm on monday for £5

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
took the cat off and there's no markings outside

DSC05302.JPG

the inlet abit sooty

DSC05303.JPG

and outlet is clean

DSC05304.JPG

fit em the other way round incase their directional.

i wonder if i should heatwrap the downpipe to get more heat to the cat?

noticed since i used the 5w50 oil that when she's initially running cold the exhaust emits fair bit of steam then once fully hot tis fine, maybe the new cat is doin its job n creating more vapour.

remap arranged

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Are you staying over on Monday night or is it a day only thing? Tempted to pop over to Chertsey after work to say hi!

i'll be setting off 7am monday, get to ed by 12pm, setup n remap on dyno, then goto nearby garage to recheck emissions round 5pm. could stick round n meetup till 8-9pm before i head back home by 12am

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Some of the OEM type cats are directional and it will make a difference, (been there and done that). Personally I stay away from cheap cats, as I have been through one stock cat and one replacement and honestly it wasn't much of an improvement.

We opted for one of the spiral wound 200cpi race cats which tend to have much better coating densities than the stock honeycombe type. Although expensive I wouldn't hesitate spending out on a decent cat because honestly all the faffing around is a complete pain in the rear. Before we'd have to get the cat as hot as possible by ragging the heck out of the car and putting it straight into the emissions bay, if it sat for anything more than a few minutes it was a wasted trip. Now we just bimble in at 30mph and it sails come MOT time.......there is a noise penalty with our car but I doubt it would make any kind of difference on a T/C car.

We also have one of those AH Fabs radiators too, not cheap but it's future proofed the car and takes anything we throw at it on track :) I expect however you can tailor something else to fit for a better price though, the price is a tad steep :eek:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
bah sumthings really wrong this morning. started her up, drove outa back alley and the exhaust is actually smokingfwn ####
smoked for few mins then became normal steam and then the vents smelled abit and saw some smoke out the bonnet:eek: appeared the turbos turbine housing was just misting out some smoke like when burning fresh paint off, maybe some oil spatter?
this is not gonna help the cat nor me emissions.

racing cat? not sure i can afford it, and the risk of contaminating if this engine is burning oil in the morning.
the ah fab is very steep.

starting to get expensive maintaining this car now :(
maybe i should just return to stock exhaust for the mot just to be sure?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
and my job's gonna finish at the end of the month so money will be really tricky.

hmm an idea bout the morning smoking, part of the issue maybe cos its overfilled? when i changed to 5w50 then 10w40 the level was near or slightly over max and overnight all the oil is in the sump. start her up the excess oil burns off, level drops enough once its circulating through the system.

gonna drain some out tonight to check next morning.

frank

Club Member
the smoke will increase the HC eh paul, can you not disable the nistune and run on the bog standard factory map ? or use a stock ecu ?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
only smokes when cold. could it be that a tiny bit of 5w50 is still there and seeping through overnight?
i could try maybe use the stock fuel/ign/VE map and the stock VQ after pluggin in the stock MAF but keep the 370cc injector values for the big injectors. see if that works and be really careful not to use boost

6kg springs arrived

DSC05305.JPG
DSC05306.JPG
DSC05307.JPG

Last edited: