• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
This blog never seizes to amaze me!, I see your doing very well pollyp, long time no speak eh. Keep up the good work mate (Y)

SuluR

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Ok retorqued to 65deg cos the first sequence bolt was abit grippy snappy so settled with 65. Just waiting for the gasket on side cover and top cover to cure till midnight before firing it up

Ian

Ex. Club Member
Cleveland fire brigade mate, was going down the A689, seen a grey L reg 4 door on some shiney wheels just coming through Newton Bently towards Hartlepool, I was going the other way.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Cleveland fire brigade mate, was going down the A689, seen a grey L reg 4 door on some shiney wheels just coming through Newton Bently towards Hartlepool, I was going the other way.

Cool. Was taking a detour route back home cos the big round bout near the firestation on the backroad i usually take has roadwork and a joke of a trafic light system.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
DSC04685.JPG

ok heres how the pistons look 1-4. almost all dry.

DSC04686.JPG
DSC04687.JPG
DSC04688.JPG
DSC04689.JPG

sealant has dried enough.
started her up, drive out & about to warm up using no boost. stopped over to check coolant tank, seems normal and no bubbling.
ok time to boost and check if it really leaks. up small hill, few secs of 10psi several times. stopped over and OH BUGGA tis abit worser now. tank overflowing n bubbling once per sec and rad top fuming with exhaust.

damn

DSC04690.JPG
DSC04691.JPG

remap is wed morning. i desperately need a new head gasket preferably genuine nissan. they always take a day to order but i'll see if they can get it on evening if i call em at 9 or if i could drive to the warehouse to get it personally with a broken car.

alternatively i could get those messy graphite head gasket down the local engine parts store but ya think it'll be able to do the job, and i hate cleaning graphite gasket off.

will have to get gasket asap tomorrow then change the gasket throughout tomorrow night/morning hoping it'll be fit to go down surrey wed morning. gonna need some redbull.
why do these last minute issues always pop up? grr

Last edited:

martinb

Ex. Club Member
Jesus man we all having bloody dramas eh!! Good luck mate, 5 red bulls are definate! You have to finish this mate, your so so close!

One more lunatic evening then your done!

Good luck matey !

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ok drove to work this morning keeping boost below 0psi and seems it's fine.

rang dealers at 8.45 bout getting a genuine gasket by tday but guy says tis not till tomorrow cos nissan warehouse supplier is down south but he'll ring around for alternatives..
then he rang back and he found through one of his suppliers such as PN or Firstline that they produce head gaskets for original manufacturers, prob the same genuine stuff, for £45 and can get it for the afternoon:grinning: says it cuts out the middle men buying direct from the supplier cos nissan dealers get their parts from the supplier and slaps on their £30 margin just for the brand hence why their genuine gasket always costed me £80.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
That's good news Paul :)

Christ £80 for a gasket

Are the £20 quid eBay specials a big no no then?

the cheapo ebay £20 ones are composite graphite headgaskets that breaks up upon removal and are a complete mess to clean up. the genuine nissan ones are multi layer steel and stay intact, maybe stronger.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Hope you get it sorted mate. (Y)

But the current HG isnt a metal one? fwn

i dunno what frank/noddie put in it till i take the head off tonight. you guys in here at the mo?

suspect its just a minute leak, there's no smoke at all, cyls dry. either way, the HG needs replacing

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
since i won't have enough bed-in time as i expected due to this HG issue tonight i figure i should fit the new HG throughout the night/morning, drive down to surrey still on mineral to bed it in more, keep under 0psi till i reach ed, then change oil & filter to fully synth once i'm there before remapping.

martinb

Ex. Club Member
I've got a composite one then on my 1.0 as it's breaking, that's odd I guess it's been replaced at some point

So there 1mm compressed right?

Why has yours gone? Wrong map? Overheating?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
noddie said he fitted an expensive graphite HG on the forged engine. no idea why its failed yet, maybe too much boost.
i've tweaked the injector multiplier so that its 14.7afr when cruising and it richens up as normal under acceleration just as it shows on the mapping

got the HG from nissan. looks like just a normal composite HG i usually get from engine shop/ebay. bah it'll do for now. long as it survives the remap dyno session.

DSC04692.JPG
DSC04693.JPG

Last edited:

frank

Club Member
here are my spare genuine ones :wasntme: they have victor reinz stamped on and rarely separate
there are 2 more fitted to the current 1311 engine, and 2 more in my spare high comp 1.3 spare engines lol

Attachments

• SDC11989.JPG
    SDC11989.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 717

frank

Club Member
i prefer those types frank, simply peels off

aye, dont you just love it when they stick like sheeet to a blanket paul :suspect:
you might wanna check the headface is true eh, a dusting of matt black and a gentle lick with a bodyfile will usually show any distortion

Attachments

• SDC11991.JPG
    SDC11991.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 694
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
once i get home from work tonight i'll be working flat out to replace the HG. i expect it'll take some time to scrap/clean off the old graphite. think i'll just fit the HG frank. even if its distorted theres nothing i could do bout it. wouldn't the file just cut at the alloy face?

haha that would be an epic fail!!!!!!! on my 1ltr the hg came off in one but the 1.3 it stuck like poo on the head and nothing on the block how strange!

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
haha that would be an epic fail!!!!!!! on my 1ltr the hg came off in one but the 1.3 it stuck like poo on the head and nothing on the block how strange!

the head has more contact surfaces vs the block hence gasket more likely to stick with head

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Just got the head off. Tis the dreaded graphite gasket that breaks apart, gonna take awhile to clean. No obvious signs of blowing yet. Gonna clean it up for detailed inspection.

Stani1029

Club Member
polly your new gasket is actually quite good. i was getting these for £25 each back in the day, would #### me off when they brought out the graphite ones that never had any sort or red seal etc on them. just a thought could the problem be a dodgy headbolt?? or were they replaced during the engine build. i know they dont need replaced in general but things fail...

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Yeah i dont like the plain graphite gasket too. Failed twice before. Always reused headbolts before no probs. Ok gasket & head bolted up. Just havin me tea while waiting for stage 2 to squeeze the gasket before retorquing to 70 deg

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
same power as before but better refined map. gasket held up, coolants fine now but drinking through mineral oil. changed to 5w50 now.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Replace HG & Remap forged piston turbo engine

ok monday night i took out the head. was such a looooong task when the turbo stuffs in the way. ended up removing the alternator, turbo assembly, rail, TB, dizzy, then head

DSC04698.JPG
DSC04699.JPG

pulled head off. was a graphite gasket so some bits of it was left on the block

DSC04700.JPG
DSC04701.JPG

pic of gasket stuck to head. cyl 4-1

DSC04702.JPG
DSC04703.JPG

DSC04704.JPG
DSC04705.JPG

peeled gasket off n wipe clean. cyl 1-3
DSC04706.JPG
DSC04707.JPG
DSC04708.JPG

look at the gasket topside
DSC04710.JPG
DSC04711.JPG
DSC04713.JPG
DSC04714.JPG
DSC04715.JPG

and bottomside

DSC04716.JPG

DSC04717.JPG
DSC04718.JPG

DSC04719.JPG
DSC04720.JPG

can't see any major signs of cyl gasket blowing. only small clue i see are softened/broken gasket of the coolant pathway holes at cyl1 but dunno if that was from pulling the head off. and near that broken section, the metal round cyl gasket seals that has a black coating on em, cyl1 has a part of the coating from the underside removed. maybe thats where it blew under 10psi?

head all cleaned

DSC04721.JPG

block clean much as possible

DSC04722.JPG

new gasket

DSC04724.JPG

all finally fitted at 4am

DSC04725.JPG

7am got up. primed oil & fuel. started her up and lotsa steam than before was comin out the exhaust, rad top has occasional bubbles, oh no I feared the worst :(
took it round the block in hoping it'll burn off. on way back the coolant tank drops abit and exhaust still little steamin although prob cos its a cold morning. well its 8am and i'm outa time cos gotta set off now to make it in time. ah #### it lets go for it :p

all tools packed up and off to surrey. stopping several times to check fluids n plugs. the coolant level stabilises and steam goes away during hot daytime so i think the gaskets ok but oil is dropping at a fast pace (high to low in 200miles). not wanting to blew this gasket till the remap i kept below 0psi, saves abit of fuel :)

eventually got there. has been running abit lean on hot motorway so plugs were white with tiny deposits, ed says thats prob bits of the piston:eek:

anyway got on dyno. ed n charlie did their thang. boosted her afew times. i was dreading if she'd blow but nope she held up fine:grinning: eventually ended up with 162bhp

DSC04725 1.JPG

will scan the dyno sheet soon

long drive back home still consuming oil, more if boosting. was on last drop of oil from can and just made it home by cruising at 70 with abit to spare. changed to 5w50 fully synth.

this morning i started her up and exhaust steams abit but strangely this really dusty thick black floating soot particles came out of the pipe, was abit worrying coating the entire backside of me garage in black dust. is that norm?

drove to work 15miles away rechecked oil and looks abit stable for now. need to check over long distance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
just called matt bout the rear nismo engine bushes, he recommended a full set cos the other stock mount'll be wrecked. he had some already fitted only their housings so we exchange one anothers mounts for £145 delivered :grinning:

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Could it be distortion thats causing gasket failure? i think we wsa suffering from that with the engine you bought over...

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Cant complain with 162bhp. :) Good to know it got there and back ok.

Mines a little sooty on occasion (can usually see it on the rear of the car) but it doesnt shoot soot. Putting the car on the dyno i found quite stressfull (even though i used to give it the same grief when driving / mapping it), always good when it gets back off still working. haha.

I should really finish my map off...theres some power waiting to be recovered.

martinb

Ex. Club Member
Glad all is ok maate!! I'm sure you will iron out the creases Paul

Any chance of an in car video of it running? Also hows your clutch holding up?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Could it be distortion thats causing gasket failure? i think we wsa suffering from that with the engine you bought over...

i'm not sure. couldn't see any signs of blowing. did ya get to see the HG from the failed engine or ya just sold it on?