• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ok ordered a new t1r for 35quid cos have a feeling the tyreshop won't fix it and no one local will have any t1r's. so'll have to wait till its delivered then get the shop to fit it. how much is it to fit just one tyre, tenner?
i suspect the order'll only be processed friday afternoon and delivered by mon-tues.

should be ok to commute with a small nail right?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
aye, not like they're doing any more serious work or under more loads compared to the fronts. it'll do fine.

blooming rubbish roads especially past the landfill back roads i always commute on. parents car recently had 2 screws in their tyres in a row, prob after going to the recycling plants

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
went down to national tyres n they said its too close to repair. i asked bout fitting cost and if they provide the T1r and guy can order em in for the same price as online but think i'll wait till i received the ones i ordered (since its prob the same delivery times) then get it fitted by garage.

guy quoted £11 to fit & balance the toyos that i ordered. rang another garage and they quoted £8.

shall i pull the nail out to see if its penetrated? or wait till the garage removes the tyre to inspect the inside and if its not punctured i keep it.

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
i pulled a nail out once,and like anyone else thats done so=quickly having to push/bang it back in the hole it came from
ahhhh that stoped the air gushing out.and the nail(nice flat head one) started wearing down with the tyre tread until the tyre was no tread left-------------- well legal tread

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
well i got my new toyos on mon night, tried fitting em at garages but they're all shut :(

DSC03399.JPG

tday lunchtime i went all over town to find any garage that'll fit it but they're all either too busy or they only fit their own (i don't want their own shyte £££ tyres). what a bunch of spanners around this town.

either the garages are too busy at lunchtime or shutdown after work

think i may leave it till the weekend or till it wears right down

Last edited:

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
i would like to fit myself
what was frank saying? oh yeh get some tyre irons
still have to balance though--------bunch of spanners:laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
had a look at the nail after driving in rain, and sure enough its leaking as i could see bubbles coming out the wet tyre. will replace on weekend

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Pollyp - you'll be chuffed when you do get em fitted. I never actually thought any tyre could grip in the wet but TR-1s are amazing. My 160 shreds normal tyres in 1st and 2nd on wet roads if you pull off a bit sharply. On Proxes, I virtually never wheel spin. Very confidence inspiring tyres :).

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Pollyp - you'll be chuffed when you do get em fitted. I never actually thought any tyre could grip in the wet but TR-1s are amazing. My 160 shreds normal tyres in 1st and 2nd on wet roads if you pull off a bit sharply. On Proxes, I virtually never wheel spin. Very confidence inspiring tyres :).

indeed. normal 13" tyres used to always spin when exiting a t-junc above gentle throttle but the t1r just grips hard in wet and is superb when warmed up in dry.

woulda prefered to have all 4 wheel tread depths equal but this nail in the rear tyre is a real bumma. gonna move it to the front right so it'll wear down, would prefer to ask the garage to swap the FL tyre to the RR and fit new toyo on the FL wheel cos that wheel wears the fastest but that may double the fitting cost/time/hastle

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
after yesterdays rain i found a slight issue with the BC rear spring support which essentially plugs the drain hole that the stock spring usually sits on and this allows water to pool up

DSC03401.JPG

so i drilled a hole to drain em

DSC03403.JPG

since the tyre shop'll prob need to remove the wheel centre cap for the fitting & balancing machine i scrapped off the sealant that was holding the cap but now it sits loosely and could pop off. had a rummidge around and found a cap off a tube of halfords rubbing compound that fits tight to prevent the cap popping off

DSC03402.JPG

abit of dremelling to clear the hub shaft

DSC03409.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
gona wait till my insurance renews in march to change over to Sky and fit the turbo.

until then, i've yet to gather a boost gauge, cone filter, clutch kit, get induction pipes fabricated, relocate radiator, relocate rad fan.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
certainly alota prepping and planning to do

tday thought i'd look at the intercooler which has alot of bent fins

DSC03410.JPG
DSC03411.JPG

grabbed a small plate that'll fit in the fin gap as a flat backing surface and a screwdriver to shape the fins against the flat surface

DSC03412.JPG

insert backing plate

DSC03413.JPG

and straighten the fins with screwdriver

DSC03414.JPG

few rows done. couple of hundreds more fins to go. the other side thats been hit with stones is a right mess to sort

DSC03415.JPG

Last edited:

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
That is time consuming, but knowing you being a perfectionist :wasntme: know you'll get it looking lovely again! (Y)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
very time consuming and finger numbing but i got till march anyway. although the fly splattered rad fins may need combing too and that's got like billions of fins:suspect:

cooling system needs to work at their peak once its turboed

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
it works fine. no point for me to spend 43quid on the same radiator if i can just spend couple days fixing the current one.

only if i find the stock rad can't handle the extra loads from the turboing will i then upgrade it.

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
it works fine. no point for me to spend 43quid on the same radiator if i can just spend couple days fixing the current one.

only if i find the stock rad can't handle the extra loads from the turboing will i then upgrade it.

Makes sense! (Y) good luck :D

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
well i finally finished straightening the front and back of the intercooler fins

DSC03417.JPG
DSC03416.JPG

this area was the worst bent but is now unobstructed

DSC03419.JPG

wirebrushed the body and just needs a lick of matt black now

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
took a look at what causes the rubbing scraping noise from the left strut during hard right turns. no signs of rubbing on the abs cableor brake lines. found the abs cable melted abit from being too close to the hot disc

DSC03428.JPG

strut cover abit torn rubbing on the tyre but protected the coilover

DSC03429.JPG

abit dusty but clean

DSC03430.JPG

tied the loose end of the abs cable

DSC03432.JPG

the other abs cable is not so good. its been resting against the disc and rubbed away to the wire. any longer and the wire fails. may need to replace this sensor (usually fused onto the hub impossible to knock out) or the entire hub in future.

DSC03434.JPG

duck taped the cable and tied to the hub

DSC03436.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
anyone knows if the servers working ok cos all my pics are just shown as links, clicking each link opens the pic in new page rather than the usual popup, and i can't upload multiple pics at once anymorefwn

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
drove to work and the hard right turn scraping noise has gone now so it was the abs cable flapping about and hitting either the wheel or the brake disc

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ahh ffs i really hate my neighbour now grr
this cold morning i opened the garage shutter and drove out as usual but suddenly heard a loud plastic scraping. wtf i thought my bumper lip was scraping the icy floor. backed up and turns out the stupid idiots have placed their blue recycling tub full of bottles etc right in front of the shutter invisible to me in the car. flippin retards.

its wrecked the reg plate and the bumper grill

DSC03464.JPG

can i leave it like this?
i'll be cutting open the bumper grill anyway for the intercooler so this incident has prob just started it for me early. then buy a smaller square front reg to stick beside the opening, any ideas where to request em?

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
You can get them from eBay my friend. Talk to some of the Lads on here. McK is one of them for definate. :D
As for the cracked plate i'm sure the worst you can expect is a ticking off from an officer if you explain you situation.
from where i'm sitting still looks pretty readable too.

halfords you have to be kidding me? they charge the earth through work i got a pair of plates with gb embelems for 14 quid :D

also i know its far back but where did you order the T1r toyo's from?

cheers looking to slam them on my compomotives :D (once refurbished anyway)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
halfords you have to be kidding me? they charge the earth through work i got a pair of plates with gb embelems for 14 quid :D

also i know its far back but where did you order the T1r toyo's from?

cheers looking to slam them on my compomotives :D (once refurbished anyway)

aye tis £14.99 but can't think of anyone else nearby that'll do em asap. mail order will prob arrive after boxing day during busy xmas. i'll look for cheapo square reg plates once its turboed

toyo t1r from camskill £30

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m53b103s99p1667&rs=gb

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
got plates from halfrauds

DSC03465.JPG

made with signam bits

DSC03466.JPG

old smashed plate vs new

DSC03467.JPG

drilled holes

DSC03470.JPG

5 sec job

DSC03472.JPG

just the grill thats snapped. bottom lip is intact. will cut the grill mesh off soon

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
just thought, what if the reg plate was mounted further up the bumper so that i keep this normal plate yet provide unobstructed airflow to the intercooler rather than buy another odd looking square plate fitted to one side and smooth over the original reg area.

before

k550i (1181).JPG

after

k550i (1181) copy.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
just bout thought of it

originally was gonna mount a square reg to the side but this idea will be easier cheaper and subtler

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
drove to work and the hard right turn scraping noise has gone now so it was the abs cable flapping about and hitting either the wheel or the brake disc

occassionally during hard braking & turn sharp right & hit bump on a round bout that scraping noise appears. finally figured out that its actually the wide left tyre rubbing the edge of the chassis when there's alot of suspension travel during very high load & lock

DSC03462.JPG

so i just bent the edge lip of the chassis inward with pliers and it no longer scrapes. yet to test at higher loads once summer comes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ok the issue of all the pics not showing during this forum revamp prob wont be fixed soon so i fear i'll prob have to reassign all 13 pages full of images from imageshack aren't I?

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Quite interesting, i have a scraping noise when braking initially on the front left, then it seems to fade to nothing when the brakes warm up. Sticky caliper perhaps?

Never the less hope yours doesn't scrape anymore :wasntme:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Quite interesting, i have a scraping noise when braking initially on the front left, then it seems to fade to nothing when the brakes warm up. Sticky caliper perhaps?

Never the less hope yours doesn't scrape anymore :wasntme:

is it like first thing in the morning ie. rusty discs, then the pads wear away clean the surface and the scraping goes away?

if the calipers sticking you'll notice poor economy, hotter brakes after a cruise and pads are wearing unevenly