• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
that and a funny clutch done me over recently
low revs-car jerking-----i was thinking throttle body but you have cracked it their

you may have a point there. by replacing the worn rear mount, selecting 1-2nd gear is better (less misalignment) and less low rev jerking

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
got reply from guy off ebay that he's received his new stock tday and my order will be dispatched tonight for tomorrow morning:grinning:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
something odd was rattling in the car going home only when braking hard and turning right. m8 & I were guessing either bracket or loose gasket? turned out my ducktaped PVC CAI had come apart n drag on the floor

DSC03274.JPG

Receive new BC V1 coilover suspension kit

yippee this big box of BC V1 Coilovers arrived :D

DSC03275.JPG
DSC03276.JPG

a bag of tools n damper dials

DSC03299.JPG

one of the knurled dialer has been knocked

DSC03300.JPG

gorgeous set of precision beauties :eek::cool:

DSC03326.JPG

labelling on the front & rear dampers. T prob means peak temperature, dunno what C is for

DSC03305.JPG
DSC03317.JPG

damper & camber adjustment

DSC03287.JPG

solid pillowball top joint

DSC03286.JPG

front spring part # (62mm dia, 220mm long, 4kg/mm)

DSC03289.JPG

preload & height adjuster

DSC03288.JPG

top plate

DSC03314.JPG

top end

DSC03303.JPG

bottom of front damper. i think theres also a small allen hole for adjustment?

DSC03306.JPG

preload adjuster

DSC03313.JPG

bottom hub section

DSC03308.JPG
DSC03310.JPG
DSC03311.JPG

front coilover assembly

DSC03302.JPG

rear damper

DSC03281.JPG

damper body position can be adjusted to suit ride height

DSC03319.JPG

adjustable spring

DSC03297.JPG

rear spring part # (80mm dia top, 62mm dia bottom, 200mm long, 3kg/mm)

DSC03296.JPG

rear spring assembly

DSC03298.JPG

yet to read instructions and then install tomorrow

Last edited:
pure filth mate, id be wrapping them up for fear of getting them dirty (if i could afford some that is ha) great blog by the way been a long time follower of it :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
pure filth mate, id be wrapping them up for fear of getting them dirty (if i could afford some that is ha) great blog by the way been a long time follower of it :)

absolutely, especially for something this gorgeous and expensive. will have to make some velcro rubber jacket thing first before it rains in afew days

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
was reading the manual last night and being translated from taiwan to engrish it wasn't exactly comprehensive and doesn't cover how to install & setup preload. but googling solves that.

the bilstein streetline kits ride height is 33cm from wheel centre to top of wheel arch front & rear

so i removed the bilstein streetline off the rear axle

DSC03328.JPG
DSC03329.JPG

bilstein shock vs BC shock

DSC03330.JPG

apex spring vs BC spring

DSC03331.JPG

standard shock dust cover/bump stop vs BC dust cover & bump stop

DSC03332.JPG

i felt the BC dust cover was too short when the shocks fully extended

DSC03333.JPG

so i'll use the standard dust cover instead that protects the shock better

DSC03334.JPG

fit BC coilover onto rear axle. i first adjust the spring collar until the axle sits at 31cm from the arch when its supporting the car. then adjust the shock position towards full extension, its at its lowest position yet not fully extended, prob cos of the low ride height

DSC03335.JPG
DSC03336.JPG

front bilstein strut vs BC coilover strut

DSC03337.JPG

access hole abit tight to adjust camber

DSC03340.JPG

strut installed. i apply a slight preload to keep the spring in place. did try apply as much preload but then couldn't adjust the bottom hubs ride height collar so keep it at zero preload for now. there's no abs sensor cable support bracket so i ziptie it to the brakeline.

DSC03338.JPG

ok now to test it at 11pm. the factory default damper setting was set at 8 clicks (0=hard, 30=soft) so its more towards the hard end.

went down the road and oh boy i could feel every oscillation of the road and my bucket seat was like a bouncy castle, twas hilarious but whoah prob too hard.

so stopped and changed front & rear dampers to 30clicks very soft, ooh what a difference. its soo much smoother, even over the small pot holes n speed bumps. damper feels so much more progressive n smooth n controlled.

when i hit a speed bump or hole with the bilstein you could feel and hear the dash just crash into it aggressively then the spring has abit of give further on in its stroke.

the BC damper simply cusions over them when in soft setting while maintaining a firm handling and excellent pitch & roll control. absolute superb piece of kit(Y)

more pics tomorrow n further tweaking needed:grinning: and must cover em from rain now

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
lowering by 50mm causes a issue with not being able to fit the jack under the wishbone support, i had to use the scissor jack to lift the body slightly then i could fit the jack under

DSC03352.JPG

coilover disassembled n wiped

DSC03359.JPG
DSC03360.JPG

damper seal

DSC03361.JPG

the pillowball mount is secured with 4 small locktighted allen screws, was real tight and felt like the allen key almost rounds off but eventually loosens. seems the black chrome plating & locktight certainly made the bolt stay in place so i retapped the threads and re-locktighted. pillowball relubed with oil

DSC03353.JPG
DSC03354.JPG

thought long n hard bout how to cover the coilover. first thought get some rubber sheet or waterproof cloth sheet found on those camping seats and sew velcro onto the edge but they require going out to town to buy and time consuming fabrication. then i had a bright idea of using my waterproof cycling trousers with zip up flares. so i cut the leggings off

DSC03362.JPG

zip tie it at the top column

DSC03363.JPG

then ziptie the bottom end. to adjust, i simply take off the lower ziptie, unzip the leggings to loosen the flare, lift up to expose the collars

DSC03365.JPG

one of the brakeline clips had fallen off from being too loose. so i'll improvise until i grab another from scrapyard

DSC03364.JPG

adjusted more camber

DSC03367.JPG
DSC03368.JPG

during hard cornering, the abs cable seems to flap about and rub the tyre. i'll need to find a way to secure it properly

front ride height has gone down 60mm and sits really low now

Last edited:

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Beautiful piece of kit Polly. Cars looking great.

Interesting rear setup there too, my Teins work the opposite way (adjustment sits at the top in the body work). Looks like those BC's have a lot more adjustments too (Y)

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
aye mate cutting the cycle weatherproofs? never
i love jumping on the old/new bike in the hard rain-its like - i hear the rain brain tells me "got to get some" then i am out in it with waterproofs
lovely works!!

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Beautiful piece of kit Polly. Cars looking great.

Interesting rear setup there too, my Teins work the opposite way (adjustment sits at the top in the body work). Looks like those BC's have a lot more adjustments too (Y)

ur tein spring adjustment at top would be more convenient.

the adjustable BC spring collar is anchored to the axle via bolt n big disc through the hole where the spring use to sit.

to get the rear to sit at 31cm the collar had to be screwed further down till its close to the cup of the axle which means its inaccessable so if i wanna adjust the height i'd have to drop the axle by unbolting or lengthen the shock, take out the spring, unbolt the support collar out the axle then adjust, which is alota work so'll leave it as it is.

quite abit of adjustments.
the fronts have adjustable damper comp/rebound, camber, preload, ride height

the rears have adjustable damper comp/rebound, spring collar, damper height

there was a small allen screw at bottom of the shock but dunno what that does. was afraid that pressurized damper oil/gas would jet out so left it

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
aye mate cutting the cycle weatherproofs? never
i love jumping on the old/new bike in the hard rain-its like - i hear the rain brain tells me "got to get some" then i am out in it with waterproofs
lovely works!!

twas gathering dust in drawers cos haven't cycled for few years, especially in rain which is never pleasant.
so the waterproofs were conveniently found and was perfect for the job

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
looked like the abs cable was touching the wheel at ful lock so re zip tied it to the lower mount. the brake line had again fallen loose, and this was the metal clip that i had bent to fit tighter, so they seem to be loosening somehow.
need to goto scrappys for 2 brakeline clips and see if there's any micras with strut top rubber covers to protect the top of the coilovers from muck.

DSC03369.JPG
DSC03370.JPG

front ride height more evenly balanced at 60mm

DSC03372.JPG

the bare wooden wedge above the backbox was rattling so cusioned it with rubber sheet.

DSC03371.JPG

ok so now the backbox rattle has gone and the brakeline/abs cables no longer rubs(Y)

Last edited:
I've been looking athis post for the last 30 mins and all I got out of it is that your coilover won't chatch the flu this upcoming winter. Lol nice job!!! :glare:w owtf

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
hehe:laugh:

the reason for the cover is to protect the precious front coilovers collar threads & spring from road dirt n water n salt etc especially during winter. don't want em to corrode and get debris in the threads which would make adjustmenting the collars difficult and affect its durability n reliability.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
If you want to preserve things - Boeshield T9 is the stuff to use, (darn hard to get in aerosols now though), but it's the nuts.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
the old cycle leggings'll do just fine for now, if it keeps my cycle legs dry it'll do the same for my coilovers. it covers the entire suspension, quick easy access, less messy so wont gunk up and is a low cost solution :)

though that boeshield would be handy for the rear end which is more exposed to grit n muck

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
the old cycle leggings'll do just fine for now, if it keeps my cycle legs dry it'll do the same for my coilovers. it covers the entire suspension, quick easy access, less messy so wont gunk up and is a low cost solution :)

though that boeshield would be handy for the rear end which is more exposed to grit n muck

When i sort some out for myself i am soooo stealing your idea. :wasntme: (suspension that is, not cycling trousers...)

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
ur tein spring adjustment at top would be more convenient.

the adjustable BC spring collar is anchored to the axle via bolt n big disc through the hole where the spring use to sit.

to get the rear to sit at 31cm the collar had to be screwed further down till its close to the cup of the axle which means its inaccessable so if i wanna adjust the height i'd have to drop the axle by unbolting or lengthen the shock, take out the spring, unbolt the support collar out the axle then adjust, which is alota work so'll leave it as it is.

quite abit of adjustments.
the fronts have adjustable damper comp/rebound, camber, preload, ride height

the rears have adjustable damper comp/rebound, spring collar, damper height

there was a small allen screw at bottom of the shock but dunno what that does. was afraid that pressurized damper oil/gas would jet out so left it

Agreed on the convenientness. The tein spring is purely held by the weight of the car. An adjustable cup sits over where the old spring was in the body work.

Still Id love to have that much adjustment to play with! If I upgrade one day I think BC's are a must (Y)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
almost tore my face off tday as i was braking for the roundbout, was clear so lifted brake arriving at 20mph and then a beemer made a late dash so i reapplied brakes harder (pedal felt double hard due to double amount of fluid n pressure after re-braking within 1sec) and felt my face deform forward:laugh:

almost tore my face off tday as i was braking for the roundbout, was clear so lifted brake arriving at 20mph and then a beemer made a late dash so i reapplied brakes harder (pedal felt double hard due to double amount of fluid n pressure after re-braking within 1sec) and felt my face deform forward:laugh:
Someone nearly crashed head on into my Micra last week when they basically drove towards me in the centre of the road as I came down the hill with the car loaded with shopping/family. It was pretty narrow, but plenty of room for 2 if both cars drive on their own side of the damn road :eek: Had to practically floor the brake (don't remember feeling the ABS though) and hear the tyres skid to a halt when we got close and he stayed in the middle, before the plonker swerves back onto his side just at the last second.

No surprise that it was a BMW... bloody 2.5 litre petrol :suspect: as well, according to the plate database!

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
been an intense week at work getting ready for launchday so no time for fixing the car but had some time tonight to clean up the bilstein streetline kit
DSC03381.JPG

gona pm will_halligan if he still wants it cos he's been looking for a kit since last month. if not i'll bang it on buy sell

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
went to scrappys and grabbed a strut top cover i saw off a facelift

DSC03384.JPG

but was too small

DSC03385.JPG

replaced the brake line clip and zipped it up to stop it coming off, the bracket comes abit close to the body at full lock

DSC03388.JPG

rezipped the abs cable

DSC03387.JPG

the boot lock rod or sumthing is still rattles abit so i removed it all and zipped the latch trigger lever to stop it rattling

DSC03389.JPG
DSC03390.JPG

saw a sticker on the coilover box says the springs are 4/3kg f/r
DSC03392.JPG

the front tyres are rubbing on the body at full lock so will reduce the camber back to 0deg soon

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
bah, i was checking over me tyre pressures and all seem fine apart from the rear right which was 1bar lower, must be a slight leak. looking around i found a nail right at the border of the tread :(

DSC03394.JPG

is this repairable and how much could it be?

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
i don't have the equipment to attempt to access it. will check out national tyres bout it. if they can't do it then i'll have to leave it in and order a new t1r online for 30quid