• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

PollyMobiles Rebuild

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Oulton Park trackday 2010

hey, well i've pretty much recovered from yesterdays fantastic trackday.

started off waking at 3am, set off at 4.30 still dark and my eyes still stinging. filled up at shell and let dad drive there to get use to the car.

got there abit too early as usual at 7.30

alot more hatchbacks and some porsches n ferrari at this track.

odd no one's at the reception at the end of the pits cos usually sign in round 7.45 and marshall told me its actually at the restaurant building at other side of car park, not an obvious place.

went over, signed in, booked helmet, met m8 and had breaky at restaurant.

briefing at 8.30 then sighting laps straight after, ppl scrambling back to pits to go out.

opened garage and unloaded our stuff

.jpg
2010 09 (1).JPG

qued to go out, done sound check and guy said soz but suction mounted cam rigs not allowed, wtf crap. but my m8s been fitting his suction mount every time he comes here no probs. ah well at least he'll be following and filming behind me

first laps the car felt good. the circuit looks and feels much different to any simulation. some fast corners appear tighter and the 180deg hairpin is narrower and huge camber. the markings coming upto the next chicane are different to the game so had to relearn braking points. the last corner was the biggest shock as the exit dips down with neg G and then flips up with huge Pos Gs, i felt my breakfast and body n face n car squat down, makes me smile every time

that was just cruising around, race speed will be very different.

pit in, further prep and straight out. first fast laps tyres & brakes are cold n hard so take it gradually and warm em up. i was abit hesitant at the fast corners where you usually go flat out but in reality i just can't do that without going off and i abso dont want that.

corners 1 2 3 at medium speed, feed the steering in, felt grippy n stable. brake hard for the 180 hairpin, car nose dives and discs rapidly heatup and hear the grooves begin to whirr at the pads. turn in and follow the inside marker, the steep camber makes it easy to stick to it and floor it out the exit.

hard brake again for the chicane, car struggles abit up steep hill

now brake very hard for turn 7, nose dives forward and unloaded back feels loose. off the brakes and turn into the blind sharp right immediately sharp left. tyre squeals now for grip but if i stay mid power and steer smoothly she behaves. pushing too hard just spins wheel without turning any harder.

go up the long hill and now the very fast double right which is just a long right corner. in game its almost flat out and just turn but i had to lift slightly, simply trusting the tyres will hold, noticing the gravel & barriers ahead that corner is a real bum clencher and scares me.

brake hard for last hairpin, discs whirr away. sharp right and straight down hill like driving off a cliff and straight up like a ramp.

building more confidence and speed as day goes on and track gets hotter. was just a perfect day, hot sun no wind.

11am had a ride in me m8s civic with coilovers n same tyres to compare mine. geez he throws it into em corners and it sticks progressively and confidently. the reving vtec is just brutal. twas lotsa fun but as a passenger i soon started to get abit nausious as it got hotter inside. we pitted back and i was outa action for awhile before lunch :p

restaurant was not bad, nice cottage pie n chips. felt better.

back in action i gave m8 a ride, see what could be improved. after afew laps it was red flags again. first a 928 had broken down and then next red flag a white saloon had crashed n flipped heavily. popped 2 doors down the pits to see and it wasn't pretty, ouch. he had slicks and must've just let go instantly beyond its grip.

3pm i booked an instructor to take me dad out in me car for his first track drive. fingers triple cross please dont stuff it xx
dreading every time he passes the pit straights but he did alright :) still in one piece. instructor was a gr8 chatful lad, said dad was calm n patient n gr8 learner. good to hear

i drove once again with no passengers, see how i can push it, felt real good at fast corners, engine revs like mad, quick shifts. but when i test how hard i can press the brake, the car pitches and really wonders about even when braking straight. dont think abs kicked in but is concerning and doesn't got confidence for the turn-in.

m8 says the lowering kit is fine for normal fast roads but i prob need to upgrade to coilovers like his. the rear already appears too high now that theres abso nothing back there, coilovers would prob lower, stiffen and reduce the backends tendency to perch up and destabilise under hard braking. i'm really interested in considering coilovers now.

trackday over, packed up n real tired. driving home i noticed the steerings slightly off n when i acc hard it wonders to the right n quite concerning. pull over next service to check suspension and found the left wishbones front bush had been trashed allowing the whole arm to shift forward slightly and rock about, the rear bush is halfway out.

2010 09 (5).JPG

wonder if its wrecked from the trackday or its been damaged for awhile, couldn't have helped steering and may have been causing the fishtailing rear during hard braking.
ordered new arm tday

back home i got the new primary cat concical gasket and used downpipe

2010 09 (6).JPG
2010 09 (8).JPG
2010 09 (9).JPG
2010 09 (10).JPG

await new wishbone at looking into some coilovers

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
here's some of me dads pics

last corner in the morning

IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG

pitlane

IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG

few runs at last corner

IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG

and straights

IMG_0951.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
tday i take off the left wishbone. new one still hasn't arrived so maybe car-less for work next week

tip for removing the lower balljoint nut.

remove driveshaft from hub to access the balljoint nut, tie to one side. bolt the hub back onto the struts, no need to fit nut.
clean the nut threads of rust n dirt with wirebrush and paintbrush, take care near the hubs driveshaft rubber seal. spray some wd40 on thread.
jack up under the balljoint slightly without lifting the body off the axle stands to press the balljoint shaft against the hub body to prevent it spinning.
get good fitting socket and undo the nut. if it feels at all resisting, back off and reclean the threads.

2010 09 (11).JPG
2010 09 (12).JPG

wishbone off

2010 09 (13).JPG

the stuffed front bush

2010 09 (14).JPG
2010 09 (15).JPG

removed the inner bush with ease. it seems the bush and rubber are only attached at the front and back lip. since this has to withstand the engine power and the twisting of the arm movements no wonder it fails, plus the extra gap between the arm and the chassis doesn't help in allowing the arm to be pushed forward during power. the other arm in comparison has a much smaller gap to the chassis and so doesn't shift as much.

2010 09 (16).JPG

good thing i got a new arm than the bush cos trying to bash out the old bush collar is impossible

took balljoint apart here. this too is impossible to remove. they're seized on and tolerance fitted. tis faster, easier and convenient to just replace the whole arm

2010 09 (18).JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
got new arm on mon

2010 09 (19).JPG

front bush looks better

2010 09 (20).JPG
2010 09 (21).JPG

fitted and aligned steering

2010 09 (22).JPG

cleaned up the stock manifold

2010 09 (25).JPG

looking at some coilovers that'll handle the occasional trackdays. interested in the BC, KW & Spax coilovers, ain't nice on the wallet though

Last edited:
OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
hmm since the turbo map is in the supplied ecu and my current loom is for NATS, i wonder if i'll be able to simply plugged the supplied ecu into my loom (its prob non-nats), ign on, read & save the turbo ecu map with nistune, refit my nats ecu and copy the turbo map onto it?

Ed do you know if thats possible or do i have to fit it to another non-nats micra, grab the map then copy into my nats ecu?

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
I cant keep up with you Polly! Some great work, track day looks good.

Have you though about importing some coilies? Theres some good second hand sets to be had on the other side of the world(Y)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
aye, that was just exiting the last turn accelerating.

under hard braking and entry turn in i could feel the car pitch forward and then roll abit and the rear feeling light as the inside rear wheel pops up. i think the front spring or swaybar is too soft for hard sustained cornering.

so yea def need adjustable coilovers for trackday

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
here's a few coilovers i found (price + delivery)

FK.jpg

FK Silverline

£558 + deliver
http://www.fk-automotive.org.uk/websale7/FK-Coilover-Silverline---fit-for.htm?Ctx={ver%2f7%2fver}{st%2f3eb%2fst}{cmd%2f0%2fcmd}{m%2fwebsale%2fm}{s%2ffk-automotive%2fs}{l%2fEnglish%2fl}{mi%2f10-10227%2fmi}{pi%2f1020189%2fpi}{type%2fabhsuche%2ftype}{po%2f1%2fpo}{sf%2f%3Cs11%3ENissan%3C%2fs11%3E%3Cs12%3EMicra%20(Typ%20K11)%3C%2fs12%3E%3Cs13%3ESuspensions%3C%2fs13%3E%2fsf}{p1%2f048fbebb4e02c9f28dc597cdf25bf112%2fp1}{md5%2fae4941175044817657fe7644b52af1be%2fmd5} (type the extra missing } symbol at the end)
_________________________________________________________________________________________

K-Sport.jpg

K-Sport Normal
£600 + deliver
http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=754
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Super_Sport_Road_Coilover_Kit__14377_zoom.jpg

XYZ Super Sport
£650 + deliver
http://www.xyz-auto.co.uk/products/Super-Sport-Coilover-Kit-:-NISSAN-MARCH-K11-:-93%2dUP.html
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

daiyama.jpg

Daiyama CCG
£675 + deliver
http://www.fortyone.co.nz/parts/view/3196.html
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

BC1.jpg
Untitled-1 copy.jpg

BC Racing V1

£678 + £9.50
http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/search/?pfind=Nissan\MARCH\1998&search.x=44&search.y=15&search=search

£679 delivered
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BC-Racing-Coilovers-V1-Series-Nissan-Micra-K11-93-03-/350350374995?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5192827853
EBAY # 350350374995
________________________________________________________________________________________________

spax.jpg

Spaxx Adjustable

£732 + deliver
http://www.humphrisoxford.co.uk/motorsport.asp
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

cusco.jpg

Cusco Compact-S
£850 + £123
http://www.rhdjapan.com/cusco-compact-s-coilover-kit-nissan-march-k11-61444
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

avo.jpg

AVO GTX
£940 delivered
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Perfo...ilover_Track_Suspension_Kit/336/0/74333/35759
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

ASPECT 1.jpg
ASPECT 2.jpg

Aspect Super Spec
£1511 + deliver
http://www.greenline.jp/catalogue/bcpartlist.php?make=Nissan&carcode=K11&intake=NA#suspension
______________________________________________________________________________________________

racing gear.jpg

Racing Gear JTC N1 V2
£1693 + £153
http://www.rhdjapan.com/racing-gear...nsion-k11-march-with-pillow-ball-uppers-58599
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

tanabe.jpg

Tanabe NF Sustec Pro
£1755 + £153
http://www.rhdjapan.com/tanabe-nf-sustec-pro-coilover-suspension-hk11-k11-march-58590

i'm interested in the BC V1 at the mo, can't tell if the rears are also coilovers or seperate springs.

what y'all think?

Last edited:

frank

Club Member
i think its a bit of a minefield paul :eek: most of those are example pics eh, and you have to get the right "poundage" of springs (a trackcar setup will soon get tiresome on a daily driver imo)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
yea the pics are showcase examples for other cars, only Matts SPAX and the Aspect superspec pics look right, but all the page description says its for the k11

how do you recommend i should calc the required spring rate or is it trail & error? measure the cars weight distribution?

the BC coilover on ebay states 12kg & 6kg/mm F/R but dunno what that'll actually translate as in real life coupled with the variable damper settings and whether i could ask them for different rates.
if they turn out too rough for street, maybe i could keep the current bilstein for normal drives then switch to coilovers for the track. or sell the bilstein kit and order a seperate set of softer bc springs.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
aye, interestin read.

doh just realised the BC uk websites price are ex vat so would actually be £688 delivered compared to ebays £679 delivered

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ok i'll try get the turbo kit this month and then get the BC coilover from ebay next month and seperate softer spring from BC uk if needed.

MOT coming so will swap over to stock exhaust next weekend.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
This will truly be awesome! Cant wait to see what you do with that turbo Polly. Coilover socks are a good thought but dont they just look soo much better without :laugh:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
just called chris knott to quote for the 150bhp+ turbo mod and coilovers and unfortunately the insurer can't support such bhp gain plus the loadsa mods, they're use to big gains of 40-50bhp on bigger powerful cars but not for a small micra :down: but they're fine with the coilovers, just adds extra 5% premium. insuring this car is gonna get harder:(

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
tomorrow i'll try ringing all performance insurers to see if the car can be insured at all with all the mods and 150bhp turbo then decide whether to buy the turbo kit or not

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
LMAO........Chris Knott = EPIC FAIL!

I don't know how they will fair with you but Sky gladly insure me and we're making +50bhp over the standard engine. They even added the ITB's and LSD for no charge this year.....nice bonus.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
chris and sky were the only two that could insure the micra with this much mods and chris was the cheapest at £350annual but i guess the turbo is just pushing it now.

def give sky a ring tomorrow ;)

so far the ones that i'ma ring who'll accept mods are:
Adrian flux
Insurance factory
herts insurance
A-plan
Sky insurance
Magic quote

wish me luck

peposhi

Once I win the Euromillions...
A jaw dropping blog, pollyp!!!

Absolutely fantastic!

So well documented that my wife would think her diary is a joke :)

Wish I could be that good with cars :)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
lol

hope it was helpful to u

ok since most coilovers are sprung at 4-5kg/2-3kg F/R i figure that when i buy the BC V1 on ebay the stiff 12kg/6kg F/R springs will be for track setup only, then for street roads i buy an extra pair of 3kg BC springs for £70 delivered, swap the rear 6kg to the fronts and the softer 3kg on the rear

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
ok here's the insurance quotes i got:

Adrian Flux: £530 TPFT £250 excess, also covers the mods

The Insurance Factory: £577 Fully Comp, also cover the mods

Sky Insurance: £550 TPFT £350 excess, also covers the mods

not bad prices, thought twas gona go towards £1k.

so thats a green light then:grinning:

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
get turbo tomorrow.

next is fit stock manifold for MOT test then buy BC coilovers next month when i get paid & install

turbo, engine, gearbox, etc will all be stripped, inspected, overhauled, exhaust maybe modded to fit secondary cat, before committing to booking enough holiday & crane hire to fit the whole lot, i'm guessing either november (cancel chris knott mid term with fee) or wait till my insurance renews in march 2011 (switch over to Flux)

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
gave the guy on ebay a call bout the BC coilovers, he didn't have any available in store at the mo but his next batch order is on monday so would take within a week to process. also asked about the hard springrate and he said it must be a typo cos its prob 5kg/3kg F/R.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
I won! :D yay

i paid em via paypal and got their details. now i drive the the messaged addr and thoroughly inspect the whole things condition before accepting. abit concerned of what if i find the engine or turbo's trashed internally or some described bits r missing, could i refuse collection at that point?

thinking maybe i should also sign a receipt there as proof of collection of such high value item to cover my back and the sellers?

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
Collect CG13DE & Turbo Kit

it went well.

couldn't sleep much prob cos of excitement and worry. 5am woke up and just research more on ebay for worsecase senerio. set off at 8 and took long 5.5hrs to get there driving at 60mph to see how the reduced weight affected economy, it did 50mpg, but i had to rest twice from tiredness.

exciting as i got there, met his father Paul, followed his van to the bits garage where his son Dan is.

we grabbed everything out on floor to check everythings there. the GTIR remotely placed MAF has different plug but they're all on the loom (will need to do some relooming to extend the stock MAF cable to the GTIR MAF).

the ecu has a NATS I key fob & transponder. checked in the ecu and it has the same nistune board 4 as mine :) i guess the turbo remap is stored in the nistune board and so once turbo is fitted i could probably just replace my current board thats mapped for the janspeed system with the other nistune board with the turbo remap and keep the same NATS II ecu, no faffing about.

took plugs out, inside cylinders look fine n evenly dry

turbo spins smoothly, has tiny play to be expected from bush bearing as it'll float on oil pressure.

custom SS powerflow 2.25" exhaust makes my stock & janspeed exhaust look like peashooters :p looks like i could just cut a section off the middle pipe join and weld end plates to fit the secondary cat.

picked it all into car and off i went. paul was a nice chap to talk to. it seems that dan used to have kristians car but it had a rear shunt so they took everything off that car to put into another micra but he also had another Pug as a project (they're into Pugs) and decided towards the pug cos it had more power he was after and so not enough time commitment for the micra proj.

so the k11 engine, turbo etc has been sitting awhile. he needed money to support his pug project so having to sell couple car parts on ebay. didn't wanna part with the turbo kit, he mention to paul no-one prob wants it, so for the heck of it he posts the kit up on ebay hoping to prove the point, unfortunately someone Was interested and bidded on his item in the end...Mee :p woops
he was gutted and sad to see it go. but i'll PM him me blog link to let him know bout the turbo progress.

finally got home, i'm sooo tired driving 10hrs. unloaded stuff into garage with excitement :) need rest now. will update bout the parts condition soon.

OP
OP
pollyp

pollyp

Club Member
just found the cause of a subtle rattle at the back to be the loose boot lock linkage. stuffed a rag behind and hope its gone

2010 09 (49).JPG

ok took out the electronic speedo, wont be needing this

2010 09 (51).JPG

drain gearbox oil and removed driveshafts to be stored away for now

heres the intercooler

2010 09 (54).JPG

front ends abit dented, fins could be straightened

2010 09 (55).JPG

inside is fine

2010 09 (56).JPG

dans also provided a pair of uprights with wishbone & trackrod end, they were a doddle to remove. so if anyone wants a pair non-abs hub & wishbones and one trackrod end, i'll put em in buy&sell

2010 09 (57).JPG

lets get on with the engine

heres the TPS & IAV connectors and the modified MAF sensor plug to fit the GTIR MAF further along the pipe. i keep the existing loom on and just simply make an extension adaptor cable to convert the normal micra maf plug into the gtir maf plug. this way i could choose which maf to use.

2010 09 (61).JPG

some plugs from the automatic gearbox loom

2010 09 (63).JPG

bigger fuel rail. the FPR vacuum pipes little damaged from being leaned on but it'll be replaced. interesting looking injectors

2010 09 (77).JPG
2010 09 (67).JPG

custom fuel rail welded here. rubber spacer washers missing. the exposed cut end of the rails input needs tidying up

2010 09 (76).JPG

auxilery belt layout

2010 09 (68).JPG

turbo oil feed hose doesn't look too happy being bent by the alternator. will need to reposition the alternator slightly lower

2010 09 (69).JPG

heres an odd one. the oil pressure sensor has been extended into this external pressure sensor? was the stock sensor not good enough or wasn't working?

2010 09 (73).JPG

spitfire leads. thought about getting some one time but now i got some :)

dizzy off

2010 09 (75).JPG

removed alternator belt

a belt tensioners bolt was abit crooked and soon snapped off instead

2010 09 (81).JPG

alternator off, wont be using this

must've ran outa studs/nuts and used square head bolts :s

2010 09 (85).JPG

result of not using washers

2010 09 (87).JPG

turbo off

2010 09 (90).JPG

remove oil drain & feed

2010 09 (92).JPG

GTIR exhaust elbow off

2010 09 (93).JPG

there's always one stubborn bolt that puts up a fight but eventually came off with some patience

turbo manifold off

2010 09 (95).JPG

remove the 4 bolts and plates that clamps the turbine housing to the body. the housing was quite rusted n seized to the body and required afew progressive hammer blows to knock off. make sure you knock the housing evenly from all sides, keeping it straight with the body, and occasionally spin the turbines to check its not striking the housing

2010 09 (96).JPG

hmm now you can see there's a massive crack through the wastegate, rest of the housings fine. could i leave this or should i get it welded or find a replacement?

2010 09 (98).JPG

to get the compressor housing off, its held to the body by a strong c-clip. it was slightly seized from rust/dirt so needed a brute squeeze first to loosen up. then i stuck the needle pliers in a vice to gradually squeeze the c-clip carefully in a controlled way and wriggle the clip off

2010 09 (100).JPG
2010 09 (102).JPG

had to bend the weak needle pliers inwards to prevent it slipping off the c-clip

2010 09 (101).JPG

give the housing a gentle tap and it pops off

2010 09 (103).JPG

insides abit coated in dirt

2010 09 (107).JPG

one turbo assembly. i tried to carefully vice the turbine shaft to undo the compressor wheel nut but it won't budge, could feel the shaft twist. my gut feeling is to leave it cos i could end up severely marking the tip of the turbine shaft on the vice which could unbalance it at high rpm, and it spins fine freely so bearings should be ok. no signs of oil leaks too

2010 09 (104).JPG

more cleanup tomorrow

Last edited: