PLEASE URGENT HELP IN SPEEDOMETER DISCREPANCY!!

Hi, please can someone tell me what percentage micra k11 speedometers are out by?!

I want to get an idea of if I'm going to be put onto a speed awareness course or if I'm going to get 3 points on my licence. (Was coming back from a long trip and caught speeding on M1 late at night by a camera because I'm an idiot)

Speedo said around 91mph at the time of flash and apparently you get put on the speed awareness course if you do up to 86mph and after that it's definitely 3 points ://

Want to know if I'll be saved from points??!!! Please help!!

Vehicles with standard wheels and tyres have a legal speedo tolerance of +10%, -0% - that means that your speedo reading of 91mph could translate as anything from 91mph down to 82mph real speed. Most manufacturers speedo's read nearer the +10% end so to make the car look like it's going faster than it really is.
If you have old tyres with not much tread , then you could have been going less than 86mph.
If you have non-standard wheels/tyres, then you could have been doing any speed...
Sat Navs and, dashcams have accurate speedos. Also you can download accurate speed apps to your mobile phone, then calibrate your speedo against that. Beware, speedos tend to be, not only, reading high, but also, non-linear !

Thanks so much for your reply. Ill try to get an idea of how much its out by using a phone app then, but will remember its non-linear. I'm assuming by non-linear you mean that the discrepancy will become greater at higher speeds?
I have standard wheels and tyres by the way, rear tyres are quite old with low tread, front tyres were bought about 6 months ago and were 'part worn', but were and still are in very good condition. Any further insight by using this info?

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Vehicles with standard wheels and tyres have a legal speedo tolerance of +10%, -0% - that means that your speedo reading of 91mph could translate as anything from 91mph down to 82mph real speed. Most manufacturers speedo's read nearer the +10% end so to make the car look like it's going faster than it really is.
If you have old tyres with not much tread , then you could have been going less than 86mph.
If you have non-standard wheels/tyres, then you could have been doing any speed...
Sat Navs and, dashcams have accurate speedos. Also you can download accurate speed apps to your mobile phone, then calibrate your speedo against that. Beware, speedos tend to be, not only, reading high, but also, non-linear !
I agree with the 10%, my other car is out by just over that. Best to use a satnav or something to check at that exact speed

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Just be aware that if you have been on a speed awareness or similar course, or had any speeding conviction in the last 3 years you won't be offered the opportunity to attend a course.........

Just be aware that if you have been on a speed awareness or similar course, or had any speeding conviction in the last 3 years you won't be offered the opportunity to attend a course.........

Oh okay thanks, although I have only had my licence for 2 years 7 months and never been convicted of anything before or attended a course before. Thanks for the info though, much appreciated!

I agree with the 10%, my other car is out by just over that. Best to use a satnav or something to check at that exact speed

Yeah I think I'm going to take a run later this evening and see whats what...