Please help replacing a CV Joint

Hello everyone,

Can you please help me by giving tips on how to replace the driver side CV joint?

I have gone through the Haynes Manual but unfortunately could not figure out. The manual instructs to remove the drive-shaft from the transmission which I don't want to do. Is is possible to separate/remove the CV joint from the driveshaft without taking out the driveshaft from the transmission?

Secondly someone told me that putting back the driveshaft end into the CV joint might damage the round-section circlip (retaining clip) if not have the required experience! IS it true? How can I avoid damaging it?

Very many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Regards

OP
OP
H
Just do NOT impact the shaft bearing up, they will have a specific torque, grab a haynes manual, they are your best friend.
Very many thanks SirChris,

The video is really good but its changing CV boot.

I presume replacing the CV joint has the process.

In the video he removes a washer the nut. When replaced the boot last time, there was no washer on mine.

Does it mean it was throwing somehow by someone who did replacing before me?

How grease shall I put inside the new CV joint and CV boot?

In the video he put the nut on the end outer shaft and hit with hammer. Isn't it damaging the shaft thread?

Regards

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Yes there should be a washer behind the bolt.. it may be rusted to the bearing.

So whilst the car is on the ground. undo the hub nut and wheel nuts
jack car up
take wheel off
unclip brake line
undo suspensions to hub bolt x2
hold drive shaft to the gearbox so it cannot move
work cv joint out of hub
hold drive shaft, point cv joint down to the ground and knock the top edge of the cv joint to knock it off the drive shaft
Remove old retailer clip

new cv joint
pack with one shot greease which comes with new cv
fillerup good boiii
place new clip on shaft.
work the cv joint on to the shaft, ensuring that you are as far in as possible.
take a peice of wood and place at the thread for hub nut and wallop with hammer, ensuring that th cv joint and shaft are in line...

et voila, cv joint

OP
OP
H
Yes there should be a washer behind the bolt.. it may be rusted to the bearing.

So whilst the car is on the ground. undo the hub nut and wheel nuts
jack car up
take wheel off
unclip brake line
undo suspensions to hub bolt x2
hold drive shaft to the gearbox so it cannot move
work cv joint out of hub
hold drive shaft, point cv joint down to the ground and knock the top edge of the cv joint to knock it off the drive shaft
Remove old retailer clip

new cv joint
pack with one shot greease which comes with new cv
fillerup good boiii
place new clip on shaft.
work the cv joint on to the shaft, ensuring that you are as far in as possible.
take a peice of wood and place at the thread for hub nut and wallop with hammer, ensuring that th cv joint and shaft are in line...

et voila, cv joint
Thanks SirChris,

Trying to do it after six months.

What is the reason for removing the old retaining clip?

Does it get damaged?

Regards

OP
OP
H
Hello every one.

I have replaced the joint but not sure if its gone all the way back!

I drove to Birmigham and back and some more a total of 197 miles.

Now the question is how to make sure or test the CV joint, after hitting with hammer, it has got where should be?

Can some please help?

Regards

frank

Club Member
Hello every one.

I have replaced the joint but not sure if its gone all the way back!

I drove to Birmigham and back and some more a total of 197 miles.

Now the question is how to make sure or test the CV joint, after hitting with hammer, it has got where should be?

Can some please help?

Regards
did you remove the whole shaft ? because it will leak oil past the seal and eventually lose drive if the inner c/v is,nt fully seated

OP
OP
H
did you remove the whole shaft ? because it will leak oil past the seal and eventually lose drive if the inner c/v is,nt fully seated
Very many thanks frank,

I removed only the CV joint by taping/ hitting with hammer. There were two clips at end of the driveshaft a round and a square one. The square one was not moving and the round one was moving and was not damaged that could be seen so I did not change it.

Filled the new one with grease and placed on the drive and hit with hammer. I don't know if I was hitting it gently or it was a bit hard to be seated.

Due to the fact there was no indication or I did notice one, I am a bit suspicious whether it was seated properly or not.

How should I have checked it, or check it now, to make sure it has seated properly?

Regards